kerraig UK

The worst crimes in music

820 posts in this topic

I agree with everything debaser just posted. There's a Raekwon "chkaBLAOW" that I particularly like. I can hear it in my head right now, but there are too many songs that it could be from ;)

[quote name='Kelthink' post='6404156' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:30 PM']Human After All? Dreadful album, especially compared to their earlier things.[/quote]
Indeedy do.

For me, Human After All sounds like what the first mix of Discovery probably did - some really nice tracks that are too repetitive, and don't really go somewhere. The final Discovery is bloody amazing as a result, tunes nipped and tucked here and there to create one of the most coherent yet random albums out there, whereas Human After All remains like a leaked demo set. Shame.

[quote name='rumblecat' post='6402847' date='Sep 11 2009, 07:02 AM']I love key changes. Especially fucking epic ones when the key changes so many times that they ends up back where it started. 360 degrees of awesomeness, right there.[/quote]

Well 12, presuming a jump of a semitone. Probably more practical to do it in 4ths or 5ths if you're going to go cyclical.

[quote name='Nate Dogg III' post='6403349' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:08 AM']Auto-tune.[/quote]
Hell yes. It's on fucking everything these days and it's like nails on a blackboard. I had to listen to a sodding Nickelback album waiting for a hair cut and about 80% of it was cliched harmonised vocals heavily treated with auto tune. I think I got a little bit of sick in my mouth.

[quote name='bingowings' post='6404880' date='Sep 11 2009, 06:04 PM']lets face it, anything sounds better with gun noises.[/quote]
Like sex. Imagine that. You bust your nut like BLAOW!

Or it might be more of a 'Mathematics' by Mos Def-style "bukka, bukka, bukka, BUUUKKA!"

even the mundane sounds better with sound effects. in the supermarket - Frosties... BLAM! in the basket... next aisle, toilet paper... CHK-CHK POW!

[quote name='Calashnikov' post='6404656' date='Sep 11 2009, 04:53 PM']I agree with everything debaser just posted. There's a Raekwon "chkaBLAOW" that I particularly like. I can hear it in my head right now, but there are too many songs that it could be from ;)[/quote]

Gotta be.. Yo niggaz respect mine or anger the tech nine... Ch-ch BLAOW!!!

[quote name='esar' post='6404922' date='Sep 11 2009, 06:20 PM']The gun shots at the beginning of Nas - Made You Look are my favourite..CHKA-BLOAW[/quote]
That's an actual gunshot, though. Ain't no onomatopeia. Either that or Nas is actually the black guy from Police Academy who does the noises with his mouth.

haha, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. And for making me look a fool, im going to have to shoot you...

BLAM BLAM BLOAW BLOAW BRRRRRRAAAPPP!

Lest we forget the best example of key change and vocoder in the same track ;)

Game got real in '84:

[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/living+on+a+prayer/video/x3me93_bon-jovi-living-on-a-prayer_music"]Prayer Baby[/url]

[quote name='Barnard' post='6404130' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:21 PM']Nu-Jazz, Nu-Soul, Nu-House or whatever the bollocks it's called. It's like old sixties, seventies soul mixed together with kind modern beats in the background. It's so MOR, it's like your favourite bands being covered by some session musicians and being held up as cool, it's like bloody lift music. It should only be on quietly in the background of wine bars. It just does not challenge the brain in anyway. GRRR.

(oh and the people who collect it, cretins the lot of them. oh, I found this flicking through the vinyls. YAWN YAWN)[/quote]
I like some stuff like that. ;) Parov Stelar is awesome!

I personally can't get along with any kind of lighthearted/joke music. Stuff like Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords, Weird Al, etc. It just does nothing for me. ;)

There's plenty of great neo-soul music, though I'm not sure if that was part of what he was attacking.

Regardless, D'Angelo and Erykah Badu [i]are[/i] genuine talents.

MIA's Paper Planes would've rocked more if she went 'pew pew pew pew' over the chorus instead of using sound effects.

Silenced pistol onomatopoeia is underrated.

[quote name='Calashnikov' post='6405588' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:41 PM']There's plenty of great neo-soul music, though I'm not sure if that was part of what he was attacking.

Regardless, D'Angelo and Erykah Badu [i]are[/i] genuine talents.[/quote]
Hmm, well I'm on about stuff like this:

I think it's pretty good. ;)

[quote name='Bunches McGinty' post='6405614' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:50 PM']MIA's Paper Planes would've rocked more if she went 'pew pew pew pew' over the chorus instead of using sound effects.

Silenced pistol onomatopoeia is underrated.[/quote]

Nah, I like the sound effects.

I seem to remember there being some Timbaland production that used the silenced PPK sound effect from Goldeneye. That was rad.

Edit: I think it was Bjork's 'Innocence'.

This song he did with Bjork from the much maligned [i]Volta[/i]?

[quote name='VermilionSands' post='6405755' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:42 PM']Edit: I think it was Bjork's 'Innocence'.[/quote]

Priiiiiiiiiccck. ;)

Haha, sorry. Only a temporary brain fail, there.

I liked Volta, but then Bjork could fart in my face and I'd probably love it.

[quote name='VermilionSands' post='6405781' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:50 PM']I liked Volta, but then Bjork could fart in my face and I'd probably love it.[/quote]

I haven't listened to it in quite a while, but remember being very underwhelmed by it. It was an OK album, I guess it was just the awesome nature of the album's preceding it that made it seem like more of a fall from grace.

Might break my Beatles marathon and give it another spin tonight; a lot of it sounded better live when I saw her at the Apollo last year. Gig of the year.