• 30451 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

You'll love it I'm sure.

#212 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3012 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ah, I wish I could play these again for the first time. Easily amongst the most atmospheric games ever, and terrifying to boot.

Enjoy Smitty!

#213 davejm

davejm
  • Supporters
  • 5376 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I never did play this properly (just a few missions near camp) but I'm determined to give it a bit of time in the coming week before ME3 hits.

I'm constantly surprised at how good it looks. I've got the 'complete' mod installed, and it looks great. Even some of the newer games that look fantastic for the most part (Skyrim, I'm looking at you) have immersion shattering graphical artefacts (Skyrim, your blocky and flickering shadows are annoying!) or style choices. But even though it's getting on a bit now, STALKER just looks really believable. Kudos.

#214 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12234 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

Imagine the fucking potential if they kept everything aside from the teen slashing stuff. :(

#215 The-Plethora

The-Plethora
  • Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

I finished the first stalker game when it came out and I enjoyed it a lot more as it progressed but I thought it was odd having the game get easier as it progressed but it was a fun game with great atmosphere. I have had clear sky and call of pripyat on steam for ages since the steam sale but not really played them so have installed the mods and will give them a play through. I will go for Pripyat first and then back to clear sky as people say it's the weakest of the series.
Nice to be able to run everything on max details, below is a before and after of the complete mod, I notice bigger differences when inside buildings but not played fully yet. On we go!

before
Posted Image

after
Posted Image

#216 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Just installing COP, and downloading the Complete mod :)

Edit, nice so far, playing it on Veteran and its fucking hard though!

#217 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Yup its bastard hard on veteran, but the higher difficulties are how its meant to be played :D

#218 Rsdio

Rsdio
  • Members
  • 8624 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Bit gutted that CoP just doesn't seem to like my system for some reason, my PC's old now but the original game played fine on a less powerful GPU and the visuals don't look a huge jump from what I've seen. There are Youtube videos with almost identical specs showing the game maxed out and reasonably smooth so fuck knows. Is there some magic Catalyst setting the game needs to run well?

Even with absolutely everything as low as possible (bar resolution, but I'm only playing on a 720p TV) it proper chugs, either vanilla or complete :(

#219 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Bit gutted that CoP just doesn't seem to like my system for some reason, my PC's old now but the original game played fine on a less powerful GPU and the visuals don't look a huge jump from what I've seen. There are Youtube videos with almost identical specs showing the game maxed out and reasonably smooth so fuck knows. Is there some magic Catalyst setting the game needs to run well?

Even with absolutely everything as low as possible (bar resolution, but I'm only playing on a 720p TV) it proper chugs, either vanilla or complete :(

Turn off dynamic lighting. They may look similar but COPs requirements are a league ahead of SoCs because of the dynamic lighting, which is actually bloody incredible looking at times.

#220 Rsdio

Rsdio
  • Members
  • 8624 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, but that fell under 'everything as low as possible' unfortunately :(

#221 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks, but that fell under 'everything as low as possible' unfortunately :(

Ah ok. Are you running the DX10 version? Make sure the DX11 stuff is off too.

#222 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Runs with everything maxed out at 70+ fps for me. But it does stutter every now and again, loading i suspect, maybe i should have put it on my SSD.

Sneaking was working out pretty well for me till I got stuffed into a tunnel full of mutants with only one exit. Bastard game!

#223 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Runs with everything maxed out at 70+ fps for me. But it does stutter every now and again, loading i suspect, maybe i should have put it on my SSD.

Sneaking was working out pretty well for me till I got stuffed into a tunnel full of mutants with only one exit. Bastard game!

Theres always those split second pauses in the game sadly, its weird.

#224 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Im enjoying this, though I don't feel like it has the atmosphere of the original. One thing is clear if someone made a game like DayZ set in the STALKER universe it would be just about the best thing ever.

oooh http://www.cinemable...Beta-39008.html

double ooh

http://europe.forum....1&t=7194&lng=en

Im downloading the STALKER online public beta now!? wtf how did I not know about this!?

#225 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

CoP has atmosphere in buckets, wait til you get past the starting area. It really gets good. Id heard about that stalker online thing (some polish dude on my steam friends keeps pestering me about it every few weeks!) but figured its be shit so didnt bother

#226 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hmm its not great so far, its standard MMO fair, 3rd person , bad animations, standard quests.

Some guy gave me a load of cash and equipment so its not impossible.

Its like i imagine Warz to be, ie a bit shit.

#227 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Bollocks After going to the second area, coming back killing some chimeras , finding some tools and generally loving the hell out of it Ive hit the dreaded fast travel crash.

I can get back to the second area. It hangs loading every time.

Ive done the following:

Installed the RAM extension mod for 32 bit exe's
Reduced all graphics settings to minimum
Used the wish granter to teleport to different places in the second zone.
Deleted shader cache from save games.
Reinstalled game with "normal" cop installation

None work. My game is over unless anyone knows of a solution ?

edit:

I gave up. Started again with the Misery mod.

Fucking hell its hard, but im enjoying it much more. Complete on veteran is a walk in the park compared to this. I find myself getting scared about the prospect of leaving the ship to do anything. Really tense, really scary. THIS is what it should be like :)

#228 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3482 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Got to say i am LOVING this.

The Misery mod makes it. Progress is much slower. Food is scarce, Med kits, money , all these things are pretty rare and combat is brutal. I find myself avoiding fights whenever I can. And when I do get stuck into a gunfight its incredibly tense, and usually involves retrying many times. Its especially important to dodge mutants whenever possible, even a run in with a small pack of dogs can mean death. This leads to lots of sneaking around the landscape, whereas in STALKER Complete, pretty quickly I was striding around the Zone blowing away anything that came close.

It can be frustrating, and is def requires a slower more considered approach, but that feels more STALKER to me.

Highly recommend.

#229 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8706 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Been playing the original Stalker most of the evening and it's fantastic. Brilliant game and that Complete mod is wonderful. For some reason I thought it was initially going to be open world but it seems more like different maps/areas linked via loading (like Borderlands for example). The next main mission is the 'Lab' one I've heard about before :ph34r: Doing a lot of sidequests at the minute and the arena, having a lot of fun :) I'm trying not to use the mods 'Transport' fast travel feature and do everything on foot. Love the atmosphere as well, the sounds at nighttime are well spooky.

#230 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8706 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Finished SoC last night and what an incredible game. Absolutely loved it. One of the most tense, atmospheric and downright spooky FPS I've played in a long time. Special mention goes to the X laboratories in the game but the whole thing is incredibly foreboding, you really don't feel safe at all. I'd say for anyone that starts it to give it a few hours to really get going. It starts off slow (which i quite like) but the further along you move the story, the more locations you visit, the more the game draws you right in. After a few hours I was absolutely hooked wondering what was happening/going on. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, especially towards the end and all sorts of madness that goes on.

One of my favourite moments was later on in the game. I was meeting up with a group of STALKERS and we were going into Pripyat. It was dark, pouring down with rain and I was using Night Vision. The wind was howling and we were all going down the street together trying to get to the next location. Snipers to the left and right of us and it was really tense. Just one cool moment out of many.

For my playthrough I played with the Complete mod on either Stalker difficulty or the one above that. Can't remember which one. For a very first playthrough I think that's a great way to play, especially with the Realistic Weapons mod. It wasn't super bastard hard but the fights were still tense as you could be killed in a few shots. Managed to get the true ending as well. My one and only complaint really is that to get the good true ending it becomes a little bit of a slog in the very last part as it's purely combat but that's more of a niggle as it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, absolutely awesome game and it's easily up there with some of my other favourites like Far Cry 2, FEAR, Half Life 2. I'll probably do Call Of Pripyat next with the Complete mod. Looking forward to it. :)

#231 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Glad to see you enjoyed it man, it really is a fantastic game. So far ahead of its time, especially considering what came out in 2007 was a fraction of what was originally planned for the game.
Definitely give CoP a try, its such a good game. A realy worthy contender to SoC for best in the series. Id stil lbe hard pressed to choose between them.

and maybe well finally get lost alpha this year too

#232 CraigO

CraigO
  • Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Started this last night. Any advice for a newb starting out?

#233 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Started this last night. Any advice for a newb starting out?

Did you install the complete mod? If not, do.
Theres no real advice to give, other than always aim for the head, and F6 is quicksave!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users