S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series (SoC/CS/CoP)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#61 ghosted

ghosted
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

Woop woop, patience has paid off. Call of Pripyat is up on Steam and if you own either of the previous titles on Steam it's 33% off at only 15.

#62 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17330 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:28 AM

Damn you Steam! I've just bought the game since I already own the first Stalker on Steam and I can't resist a good Steam deal :mellow: And Mount & Blade too since it's only 4 euros now :lol:

#63 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16005 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

I couldn't resist it at that price. Uncommonly cheap for a brand new game.

#64 nightwaxon

nightwaxon
  • Members
  • 2494 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

I'd buy this like a shot if it came out on any of the current consoles. No way my PC will play this. PC gaming :mellow:

#65 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

It's really, really good. Still a bit lolstalker, but it's far more focused, polished and random. The missions are actually really epic and long too, not just 'go here'. The atmosphere remains unmatched, though it is a lot more random now like I said - I got attacked by invisible bloodsuckers pretty much straight off the bat. Highly recommended.

#66 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 8742 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Im stubbornly refusing to start this until I polish off ME2, so its just sat there taunting me at the moment.

One of my biggest issues with Clear Sky was with the increased focus on the factions and the constant respawning and capturing of territory. Has this been toned down at all, reviews seem to imply it has but im not sure?

#67 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yep, it has. :angry:

#68 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Woop woop, patience has paid off. Call of Pripyat is up on Steam and if you own either of the previous titles on Steam it's 33% off at only 15.

Bought!

I think I'm going to give oblivion lost a try first though. It sounds awesome.

#69 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16005 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Man, this is even more bewilderingly freeform than Shadow of Chernobyl. Dropped the fuck into the middle of the Zone and told 'here is some stuff, do it if you want to'.

#70 Kebabilicious

Kebabilicious
  • Members
  • 2269 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

Im stubbornly refusing to start this until I polish off ME2, so its just sat there taunting me at the moment.

One of my biggest issues with Clear Sky was with the increased focus on the factions and the constant respawning and capturing of territory. Has this been toned down at all, reviews seem to imply it has but im not sure?

Man you summed up exactly what was wrong with Clear Sky. I did enjoy it, but found it a bit of a burden the more i went on. I shall be getting this on my birthday! Can't wait.

#71 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

I just downloaded Oblivion lost. Lets do this!

#72 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Well, I booted up Oblivion Lost, picked up my first quest, walked three feet out of the camp and got attacked by 20 barking cats, and died instantly. :(

#73 daveodeth

daveodeth
  • Members
  • 6366 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

My bug has vanished to I don't know where but the game really is cracking. So much is left to your own imagination, plenty of "what the dickens is that" moments.

#74 Fragmaster

Fragmaster
  • Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

It really is amazing. I decided to start a new game, I was heading down the hill to the main barge and suddenly got ambushed by 2 Snorks. Scary stuff as I only had my peashooter AK.

Also, I've found a pretty cool mod that varies the weather and makes the lighting a bit more realistic. Its worth checking out. http://stalker.filef..._Pripyat;110125

But yeah, personally this is the first STALKER game for me that actually feels open. I don't think there have been any occasions yet where I felt I was being funnelled down a particular route or that I had to do something in some sort of order.

I'm looking forward to getting to Pripyat, it looks like there are a lot more locations and places to go in this.

#75 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4719 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Are there many new areas? The thing that put me off about Clear Sky was visiting the same old places.

#76 Fragmaster

Fragmaster
  • Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quite a few, the starting area is completely new and actually worth exploring unlike the swamp in CS.

I haven't reached Pripyat yet but looking at the map, it seems a hell of a lot larger than it was in SoC and hopefully there are a fair few things to do around that area.

I think on the whole though the appeal of this game is massive, unlike SoC and CS I am more inclined to just go off and explore and the nature of the environment is much more dynamic now. Mutants work as a team, have dynamic spawns and coupled with the blowouts there is a real tension in the air.

Personally, I don't think this game really needs any mods like SoC or CS did. On the whole it seems a lot more thought out and polished.

#77 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4719 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Quite a few, the starting area is completely new and actually worth exploring unlike the swamp in CS.

I haven't reached Pripyat yet but looking at the map, it seems a hell of a lot larger than it was in SoC and hopefully there are a fair few things to do around that area.

I think on the whole though the appeal of this game is massive, unlike SoC and CS I am more inclined to just go off and explore and the nature of the environment is much more dynamic now. Mutants work as a team, have dynamic spawns and coupled with the blowouts there is a real tension in the air.

Personally, I don't think this game really needs any mods like SoC or CS did. On the whole it seems a lot more thought out and polished.

I see, thanks for the info. I'm a bit tempted despite currently having Dragons Age, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect 2 all on the go!

Nice to hear they've finally got blowouts in there, is it very difficult to survive one or do you just bolt to the nearest derelict house or deep ditch?

#78 daveodeth

daveodeth
  • Members
  • 6366 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

I see, thanks for the info. I'm a bit tempted despite currently having Dragons Age, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect 2 all on the go!

Nice to hear they've finally got blowouts in there, is it very difficult to survive one or do you just bolt to the nearest derelict house or deep ditch?

Run or die. you have to keep your head under solid cover to survive.

#79 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15215 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Does this require a mammoth pc to run? Or is it fairly scalable? I loved the original.

#80 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16005 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Same as the original pretty much.

#81 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12102 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I love this, its really atmospheric, proper brickin it in the dark stuff.

ace

#82 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8357 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Might pick this up though I still haven't finished the first game :) I take it that it's still bastard hard ?

I'm still pissed at myself for fucking over my save file for the original game.

#83 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12102 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Might pick this up though I still haven't finished the first game :) I take it that it's still bastard hard ?

I'm still pissed at myself for fucking over my save file for the original game.

lolz

it is tough and although lacks a bit of the spit and polish of say fallout 3, I have had some great gun battles and am really enjoying it

#84 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

It probably has more of an atmosphere than Fallout 3 too, Stalker is completely uncompromising in making you feel like shit. In a good way. I love bricking it in the dark not knowing what to do :) It's easy to forget you can hit escape and walk away, it's so engrossing.

#85 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 8742 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Finally made a start on this and can already tell, after just a few hours play, that it's going to be the best of the three.

What I loved about the other STALKER's was the lack of handholding, and this is even more evident in this one.. Just dumps you in the world with a rifle, ammo and a few supplies then away you go! It's great to be back in the Zone!

#86 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4719 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just started this.

The blowouts definitely add something, I had a moment of panic when one was approaching, couldn't run, so dumped a load of valuable stuff out of my pack to reach cover in time. I'm far from impressed that it still runs so badly on my system ( I had a look to see if I could dial anything down and a lot of the stuff was already down halfway, on a quad core with a Radeon 4870 ), but the atmosphere which was so lacking in Clear Sky is back now in force. Walking round a derelict farmstead, anomaly detector in hand, and trying to get close enough to snatch an artifact while dogs howl all around me in the pitch darkness reminds me why I loved Stalker in the first place.

#87 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15215 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Got this, it good. Back in The Zone, done a couple of missions. I'm seriously considering downloading the 'all russian dialogue' mod, only I'm guessing I'll miss what's being said in the cutscenes and such. Hopefully there's subtitles buried somewhere in the options screen. Still got the same great atmosphere, was following a stalker through the swamp in the dead of night and we were attacked by a trio of snorks. He didn't make it back to the boat, although his sausages and vodka did.

#88 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6316 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Loving this at the moment. Bit of an impulse Steam buy, as that 14.99 Special Offer box refused to let me not click it.

Pretty bewildered by just HOW open it is, but after doing a couple of quests seem to be getting the hang of it. The robbers/stalkers mission early on was aces. Shotgun to back of head you thieving gits, let that teach you not to trust me.

My guns break really quickly, and I can't seem to get any new armour, and repairs are bloody expensive but I assume that this gets easier to deal with later on!

#89 Argh

Argh
  • Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:00 AM

Brilliant game, for it's sense of atmosphere and involvement. Technically a bit pants, but utterly forgiveable once you're immersed - which took me all of 5 minutes. I'm enjoying it as much as the original, but in a different way. The first area is much quieter, even than the first area in the original. I am sort of missing the largish bandit presence, and the threat of the military just down the road...and yet I'm enjoying the unease of when I might get jumped by a bloodsucker (scary bastards!), or savaged by a pack of dogs while wading through the swamp.

Those fucking, fucking bloodsuckers though...how horribly tense it was sneaking
Spoiler
. I'm such a stubborn fool though, I got attacked by a grey one in the middle of a road at 2AM, while I was completely over-encumbered, and rather than drop my stuff and fight with mobility, I stood my ground and traded damage with the scary fucker. 9 medkits and 15 bandages later, I killed it with my knife after my sawn-off and pistil both broke. Fabulous. After that, I discovered the bottle of Herc in my backpack. Durrrr!

I finished all the missions in the first area that have on-map targets*, rather than vague "find X" instructions...and felt a bit unsure about when I should proceed to Yanov station. I haven't found the tools for the the repair chap, for example...and there were lots of locations I hadn't visited yet, as I'd only really gone to ones with mission-targets or stashes...

Questions, please spoil your answer if required:

D'ya reckon I should utterly clear the first area before getting involved with what's going on at Yanov?

Will the bandits eventually become permanently hostile through the result of missions? Or is it up to me to pee them off myself by attacking them?

Is it right that the mercenary faction is hostile to me as soon as I meet them?

*apart from the mercenary one, where you have to gather intel. Couldn't find a way in without a fight, and couldn't fight my way in without dying.

#90 flight

flight
  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'll soon have a PC capable of running this. Is it worth playing through the first 2 before picking this up?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users