Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

• Please log in to reply
3184 replies to this topic

#2611 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10213 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sounds great, Craster. Tonight we had roast sirloin of beef, nice roasted chantenay carrots, portobello mushrooms and parsnips.

Attached File  zzzzsirloin1 (Medium).jpg   74.2KB   2 downloads

#2612 Fieldini

Fieldini
  • Supporters
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Burgers at the weekend, potato roll and food processor ground steak. Works really well.

Attached Files

#2613 Phill

Phill
  • Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

P1080194.jpg

Cross post from the Paleo thread but I made this tonight. I could eat it all over again, it was yummy!

#2614 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10213 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Only managed to grab some corned beef for lunch so had to have about a pound of very slow roasted pork shoulder, big piece of crackling, and huge pile of Spring greens, roast carrots and parsnips for dinner. I don't even know what Spring greens are but they were great.

Attached File  zzzzslowroast (Medium).jpg   84.82KB   3 downloads

#2615 stephen129

stephen129
  • Members
  • 5961 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Some shots from my recent holiday to Italy. The first shots are from a brilliant meal I ate at Hosteria Giusti,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2616 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30752 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm doing a lasagne for the flat tomorrow. Stage 1: bechamel sauce and ragu preparation.

Posted Image

#2617 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30752 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image

Sorry for the poor photo. Turned out to be one of the best lasagna I've ever had. I'll post the recipe later.

#2618 neoELITE

neoELITE
  • Members
  • 7998 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Pulled pork seems to be a big favourite.

I usually follow the recipe/method of searing a shoulder of pork with the fat trimmed off - this is after 24 hours in the fridge with lovely marinades and then slow cooking for about 8 hours. I tried something different. No seasoning at all, cooked in the slow cooker on low for 14 hours just in half a pint of water. Then covered in a little barbecue sauce (ketchup,water, smoked paprika, lemon and a small amount of chilli powder) and cooked in the oven just to crisp up the edges for twenty minutes. It's pretty nice.

Just out of the slow cooker and covered in the sauce
Posted Image
Out of the oven
Posted Image
Served (I like people to have fun and pull their own)
Posted Image

As I've not used the marinade in the stock in the slow cooker, I am left with some amazing pork stock. I'm making that into onion gravy right now and we'll be having bangers, mash, mushy peas and yorkshire puddings tomorrow.

We're off to Peppa Pig land on Wednesday with the kids... this is my build up to that :)

#2619 jimmbob

jimmbob
  • Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I tried to make a McDonalds type burger on Saturday for lunch. It tasted like a BigMac, but I think I used a bit too much meat, it just didn't have that cardboard flavour.

Posted Image

It was a nice experiment, and the sauce worked well, which in future will be used on real burgers. I couldn't remember if Big Mac's had one or two slices of cheese.

Posted Image

#2620 Mrs Horribleman

Mrs Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29627 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sauce recipe?

#2621 jimmbob

jimmbob
  • Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

The official recipe is mayo, sweet pickle relish, and American yellow mustard in equal (ish) amounts. Plus onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and a lug of white wine vinegar.

I couldn't find sweet pickle relish so I just used a smooth piccalilli, which worked fine. I did however use a little less as it's quite a strong flavour. It was then just a matter of balancing the flavours.

All the other ingredients were easy. The burger was minced beef with a bit of S&P. Then just gherkins, onions, the shittest plastic cheese you can find, an iceberg lettuce and some naff seeded buns.

#2622 Mrs Horribleman

Mrs Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29627 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Great, cheers.

#2623 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2811 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Take a gander at this, the Executive Chef from McDonalds showing you how to make the sauce:

#2624 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

This is the 'Mcdonalds' burger sauce recipe we use, instead of dill pickle relish I use sainsburies dill & mustard sauce (in a jar from pickles section) and instead of sweet pickle relish I use finely chopped gherkin and a bit of sugar, dried minced onion - onion powder, miracle whip - mayo mixed with salad cream:

• 1/4 cup salad dressing (like Miracle Whip®)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tbsp French salad dressing
  • 1/2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
  • 1 1/2 tbsp dill pickle relish
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp dried, minced onion
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp ketchup
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Preparation:

• Mix all ingredients, and stir well in a small container.
  • Microwave on high for 25 seconds, and stir well again.
  • Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

#2625 Mrs Horribleman

Mrs Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29627 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Ima try both in one burger.

#2626 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10343 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

There's a Big Mac recipe on AHT somewhere too. Lemme have a look.

Here: http://aht.seriousea...er-big-mac.html

#2627 Mrs Horribleman

Mrs Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29627 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Pulled pork seems to be a big favourite.

I usually follow the recipe/method of searing a shoulder of pork with the fat trimmed off - this is after 24 hours in the fridge with lovely marinades and then slow cooking for about 8 hours. I tried something different. No seasoning at all, cooked in the slow cooker on low for 14 hours just in half a pint of water. Then covered in a little barbecue sauce (ketchup,water, smoked paprika, lemon and a small amount of chilli powder) and cooked in the oven just to crisp up the edges for twenty minutes. It's pretty nice.

Just out of the slow cooker and covered in the sauce
Posted Image
Out of the oven
Posted Image
Served (I like people to have fun and pull their own)
Posted Image

As I've not used the marinade in the stock in the slow cooker, I am left with some amazing pork stock. I'm making that into onion gravy right now and we'll be having bangers, mash, mushy peas and yorkshire puddings tomorrow.

We're off to Peppa Pig land on Wednesday with the kids... this is my build up to that :)

That looks more like roast pork than pulled pork bro.

#2628 omus

omus
  • Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image

Mini Beef, chorizo and ale pies, with creamy mash. Nom.

#2629 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4655 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Good lord.

#2630 omus

omus
  • Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good lord good, or good lord bad? I can tell you they were thoroughly tasty, and made up for the amount of prep work to make them.

#2631 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10213 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

My good lord would be good lord, take the picture before you smear your dinner all over the fucking plate. :D

#2632 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4655 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Good lord good, or good lord bad? I can tell you they were thoroughly tasty, and made up for the amount of prep work to make them.

Good! They look fantastic!

#2633 omus

omus
  • Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

My good lord would be good lord, take the picture before you smear your dinner all over the fucking plate. :D

I was so taken I'd already burnt my tongue twice before I thought to take a picture!

#2634 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30752 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Sorry for the poor photo. Turned out to be one of the best lasagna I've ever had. I'll post the recipe later.

Belatedly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s/lasagne_82381

#2635 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10343 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

I use a modified version of that recipe if I'm going all out on lasagne. It's very nice indeed.

The main things I change are really just taking a leaf out of Heston's book: brown the mince properly in batches first (the recipe adds it all in one go and calls for cooking "until the liquid from the meat has been absorbed". This pretty much won't work though because there's far too much fat swimming around). I also add a few umami things to it; Worcestershire, soy, etc, and star anise in with the onions.

edit: Found my tweaked one!

• 700g ground beef
• 300g pork mince
• 4 sticks celery, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, finely chopped
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 sprig rosemary
• 1 star anise
• 1 bottle red wine
• 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
• 200ml beef stock
• 2 pints whole milk
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tbsp. tomato purée
• 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp. mushroom ketchup
• ½ onion
• Nutmeg
• 60g butter
• 60g flour
• 3 balls mozzarella, cubed
• 60g parmesan, grated
• Lasagne sheets

1. Heat some olive oil in a large pan and fry the soffrito veg with the star anise over a low heat for about 15 minutes until softened and golden. Meanwhile in another frying pan over a high heat, start browning the meat. Do this in small batches, ensuring there is enough space in the pan so that the meat browns well and does not steam and stew.

2. When the soffrito vegetables are done, add the garlic and rosemary and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée, cook for a couple more minutes until everything has gone a nice brick red colour, then remove the star anise. Add the browned meat to the main pot and deglaze that pan with 50ml red wine, scraping any bits off the bottom. Add this to the big pot along with a further 350ml of wine. Cook for around 45 minutes until the wine has virtually gone.

3. Meanwhile heat the milk, onion, bay leaves and nutmeg to the point of boiling, then leave to infuse.

4. Add the tomatoes and stock. Also add the soy, Worcestershire, and mushroom ketchup. Leave to simmer uncovered for 2 hours, topping up with hot stock if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.

5. In a separate pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the milk gradually through a sieve. Simmer for 5 minutes once all the milk is added, then leave to cool.

6. Pre-heat the oven to 160oC. Blanch the lasagne sheets if necessary. Assemble the lasagne, layering béchamel, pasta, mozzarella and parmesan, and ragu, finishing with béchamel on top. Scatter with any remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

#2636 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30752 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

I did manage to cook all the meat juice off without binning anything, took a while though. It's an incredibly decadent lasagne but totally worth it if you're cooking for a crowd.

#2637 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4655 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I like that above recipe, but I'd tweak the wine:stock ration a bit in favour of more stock, less wine, and I'd add chicken livers. Ragu always needs diced chicken livers.

Actually, the description calls for 400ml of red wine, but the ingredients lists a bottle?

#2638 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Ragu always needs diced chicken livers.

Yes, without a doubt. I always have a couple in my freezer ready to throw into a ragu. The guys at Ginger Pig always look at me funny when I ask for one chicken liver mind you!

#2639 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30752 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I like that above recipe, but I'd tweak the wine:stock ration a bit in favour of more stock, less wine, and I'd add chicken livers. Ragu always needs diced chicken livers.

Actually, the description calls for 400ml of red wine, but the ingredients lists a bottle?

They don't sell wine by 400ml, and you've got to drink something while cooking...

I'll also add that I think their proportion of roux to milk in the bechamel is well off. You need about twice as much roux I think.

#2640 omus

omus
  • Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Something I did with my last lasagne was add emmental cheese to the bechemel, decadent is certainly the word.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)