• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 letsbook

letsbook
  • Members
  • 2586 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

Charlie Brooker
I assume that this is the place to talk about this. I realise that Mr. Brooker has a pretty big following in Film & TV, but I find his comments on his Guardian 'blog' to be perfectly balanced and as insightful as anything else out there.

But according to the BNP, I'm wrong. Being British is actually about feeling aggressed, mistrustful, overlooked, isolated, powerless, and petrified of "losing my identity". Britishness incorporates a propensity to look around me with jealous eyes, fuming over imaginary sums of money being doled out to child-molesting asylum-seekers by corrupt PC politicians who've lost touch with the common man - a common man who, coincidentally, happens to be white.

They're wrong, obviously. None of these qualities has anything whatsoever to do with being British, but everything to do with ugly nationalist politics. And ugly nationalist politics are popular all over the world. Just like Pringles. Every country has its own tiny enclave of frightened, disenfranchised, misguided souls clinging to their national flag, claiming they're the REAL patriots, saying everyone's out to get them. It's an international weakness. For the BNP to claim to be more British than the other British parties is as nonsensical as your dad suddenly claiming to have invented the beard.

Full piece here
Does anyone have any other links similar to this? I'm hungry for more...

#2 Orchid

Orchid
  • Members
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Charlie Brooker
I assume that this is the place to talk about this. I realise that Mr. Brooker has a pretty big following in Film & TV, but I find his comments on his Guardian 'blog' to be perfectly balanced and as insightful as anything else out there.

Full piece here
Does anyone have any other links similar to this? I'm hungry for more...

You could buy his book which is a collection of his Guardian articles from years gone by.

#3 Number 28

Number 28
  • Members
  • 13005 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

There's two. Screenburn, and the more recent Dawn of the Dumb. There might be others actually, they're just the two I have.

#4 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7413 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

HMV recently had both books on sale for 3 each. I don't know if that offer's still on.

#5 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35757 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

http://www.tvgohome.com/

#6 spatial11

spatial11
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

HMV recently had both books on sale for 3 each. I don't know if that offer's still on.

Yep it is, pick them up now cos they are apparently not restocking them. I have both and have almost finished Dawn of the Dumb- despite a lot of the articles being dated, many still have relevance now. It's also consistently hilarious and (due to the Blog format) great to read in a spare 2 minutes at work etc. Certainly worth 3.

#7 PopleGas

PopleGas
  • Members
  • 10713 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

Dawn of the DUmb is better than Screenburn, bit more varied.

#8 merman

merman
  • Members
  • 4897 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

Reading Screen Burn at the moment, loving every page and every carefully worded insult. "Shitwit" is such a great word. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users