The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#1 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15532 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

Finally looks like Lucasarts may have cottoned onto the fact that they've got an amazing back catalogue that people would probably prefer to revisit than shell out 40 to play the likes of Fracture.

http://www.eurogamer...nd-for-xbox-360

LucasArts may be revamping The Secret of Monkey Island for Xbox 360.

German ratings board USK listed a Special Edition of the game for the console yesterday, although the database has since broken, helpfully. Still, GamerBytes managed to take a picture before everything went wonky.

Activision, LucasArts' European distributor, told us it couldn't comment on "rumour and speculation".

The Secret of Monkey Island was made by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman back in 1990. It was funny and brilliant.

An XBLA revamp would hardly be out of the question and also most welcome, although we wonder what the Special Edition parts could entail.

If this is a success please give me Grim Fandango on XBLA/PSN Mr. Lucasarts. :lol:

#2 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26372 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

YEAH BABY YEAH!!!

#3 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31106 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Finally looks like Lucasarts may have cottoned onto the fact that they've got an amazing back catalogue that people would probably prefer to revisit than shell out 40 to play the likes of Fracture.

If this is a success please give me Grim Fandango on XBLA/PSN Mr. Lucasarts. :lol:

Unlikely, considering the amount of FMV in GF. Though if they just did it all in-engine...

#4 K

K
  • Members
  • 20845 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

I can't see this working with an analogue stick.

#5 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106353 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

it'd be cool if they actually Special Editioned it, and rebuilt all the backgrounds in 3D, with the sprites HD'd and inserted into the game.

(someone here just suggested TSoMI with the Fable II engine)

#6 Sir DangerM

Sir DangerM
  • Members
  • 14410 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

Why not?

RTS games work fine (still better with a mouse, but absolutely fine on a pad), and they're far more complex.

#7 Sir DangerM

Sir DangerM
  • Members
  • 14410 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

it'd be cool if they actually Special Editioned it, and rebuilt all the backgrounds in 3D, with the sprites HD'd and inserted into the game.

(someone here just suggested TSoMI with the Fable II engine)

No, they should just hand draw it all like The Curse of Monkey Island, but in HD.

I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE.

#8 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24851 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

I've completed the game using an anlogue stick (well, nub), so of course it will work. Pointing is still better for it, though.

#9 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106353 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

I've completed the game using an anlogue stick (well, nub), so of course it will work. Pointing is still better for it, though.

a Wii version? :lol:

#10 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17884 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

a Wii version? :lol:

Like I already said in the other thread: for those with enough braincells to install the Homebrew Channel you can already play all these games through ScummVM. All in glorious SD with pointing action and everything.

#11 hebejebe

hebejebe
  • Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Do you really want to have to point at the screen? I couldn't be bothered arsing about with that. I'd prefer mouse/stylus, then pad, last choice waving the bloody wii remote around.

#12 Grobbelboy

Grobbelboy
  • Members
  • 1217 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Let this be true! And after this PLEASE give us part 2 and Day of the Tentacle :lol: [/wishful thinking]

#13 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31106 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Well, you can just rest it somewhere and point the cursor around, I imagine. Not much more hassle than a mouse.

#14 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17884 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Do you really want to have to point at the screen? I couldn't be bothered arsing about with that. I'd prefer mouse/stylus, then pad, last choice waving the bloody wii remote around.

I don't want to point at the screen, I think the Wiimote is a horrible controller in every possible way even for games like Monkey Island. I was just saying that ScummVM has been available for the Wii for years already for those that said they preferred a Wii version (scottcr)

#15 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 29989 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Like I said in another thread, theres already a lucas arts style point and click game on XBLCG- uses same interface as Indy, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island etc. Works fine.

#16 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17884 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

Like I said in another thread, theres already a lucas arts style point and click game on XBLCG- uses same interface as Indy, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island etc. Works fine.

I've played loads of point and click games emulated on the old xbox with an analogue stick and I didn't have any problems with it. I also played Broken Mirror 1 and 2 on the ps1 back in the day, never had any problems with it (apart from the loooooong loading times).
Like you say, it will work fine. A mouse would be preferable, but it will work fine with an analogue stick.

#17 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 29989 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

God yeah, the loading time on those psone Broken Swords. Amazing experiences though in the day- was so happy to have been able to play a point and click on a console.

#18 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9356 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

I think I may have just jizzed in my pants.

I will so buy this, possibly even twice just so they do all of them. I've even played through the majority of them again onSCUMMVM in it's various guises and recently did DoTT on SCUMMVMDS but if an actual HD version of some sort comes out, that would be bloody amazing.

I'm fully expecting this not to happen and I'm getting excited over nothing... :(

#19 Andsom

Andsom
  • Members
  • 4195 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

No, they should just hand draw it all like The Curse of Monkey Island, but in HD.

I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE.

All the backdrops for Monkey Island 2 were hand painted and scanned, so I guess they could just rescan them at a higher res.

I would kill for high def versions of the Monkey Islands with voice acting.

#20 Harmunt

Harmunt
  • Members
  • 5139 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

I'd personally like a Hi-Def version with OPTIONAL voice acting.

#21 Andsom

Andsom
  • Members
  • 4195 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

I'd personally like a Hi-Def version with OPTIONAL voice acting.

That's always been the case with previous Lucas Arts adventures. Personally, I loved the voices in Curse of Monkey Island - they were perfect and the acting was superb.

#22 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7387 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Posted Image

#23 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9356 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

Now that I think about it a bit more, I really do hope they make them full screen with all the action options (walk to, read, open etc) on one of the analogues (a la weapon select in Obliv for instance) as opposed to the half screen with all the buttons to press and icons for objects.

In fact, a director's cut like the Broken Sword Wii version would be bloody fantastic but I really can't see it. I might actually play some again on SCUMMVM tonight.... Maybe a bit of Full Throttle, haven't played it as much as the others.

#24 SqueakyG

SqueakyG
  • Members
  • 2992 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

The Secret Of Monkey Island... without swapping floppy discs between every screen, you say? Hi-res redrawn graphics, you say? I'm in.

#25 Mike

Mike
  • Members
  • 2830 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

I think I'll be getting this. :(

#26 Barnard

Barnard
  • Members
  • 2801 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Stop trolling!

#27 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9356 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

I might just have to bump this every hour or so, just to express how fucking immense this is and how really quite excited I am about this.

There are very few things on the way that I am actually this keyed up about, most exciting (to me) possible remakes that they could ever do. I think point n click games are undeniably my favourite ever genre of computer game, this may be sad in some people's eyes but I absolutely :( them.

I'm a little bit moist.

#28 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7963 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ooh, what's this? Is it any cop?

Anyway, outstanding news about Monkey Island, obviously. Fingers crossed it'll sell well and we'll get a wealth of classics re-released. Or, dare I dream, some new high-profile point-and-clickers.

#29 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 23240 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

MI and its sequel are probably my two favourite games of all time. This is rather jolly good news. :(

#30 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 29989 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Ooh, what's this? Is it any cop?

Anyway, outstanding news about Monkey Island, obviously. Fingers crossed it'll sell well and we'll get a wealth of classics re-released. Or, dare I dream, some new high-profile point-and-clickers.

Seemed alright from the demo- had a bit of a sense of humour, only 200 points I think so can't be that long in length though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users