Lorfarius

Your gaming setup

425 posts in this topic

Currently my SNES and PS2 are getting the most play time,

but I have access to about 80 games consoles in my collection,

all are playable and do get used.

this is a photo of the collection from May 2011, there's been quite a few additions since then.

224090_10150191596663225_513923224_6967343_4475437_n.jpg

individual photos of the collection can be seen in the facebook album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150190395033225.302824.513923224&type=3

That's a lovely set up Jerellis, I think we need to open up some of these houses so I can have a walk around and marvel at it all.

I’m a little jealous of some of you as I’ve slowly thinned out my collection for space and sanity reasons as I just don’t have the time to play them again. The only exception to that rule is the PlayStation as it has some classics such as Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid & Resident Evil 2 that I go back to frequently.

My collection is 2 plastic boxes, one containing a boxed PlayStation with 2 sealed Dual Shocks and the other containing around 20 games. I do also have a Xbox 360 but have sold it this morning to be replaced by a Nintendo 3DS, so soon no console will be permanently hooked up to our TV anymore. :(

Thanks for the nice comments Wools, and for the positives folks. I'm really fortunate as this isn't the only area at home that I've been granted permission by wifey to transform into a cosy retro-gaming hideaway - I have a 'retro den' downstairs which is filled with all of my retro consoles, and a retro attic in which all of my other vintage hardware is safely stored. Unfortunately the retro den is piled high with boxes at the moment as I'm having a bit of a DVD and modern-gaming collection purge, so I can't take any flattering snaps at the moment to share with you all, but as soon as everything's tidy in there again I'll take a few photos and upload them here.

The best thing about the retro study pictured above is that my Mac sits right in the middle of it all, meaning that whenever I'm working at home or simply online, I'm always surrounded by my favourite vintage machines and hundreds of classic original retro games.

:wub:

Here are a few more pics of my retro study, as promised. First up, a closer view of the shelves on the right-hand side of the study above the C64 and BBC Micro:

34eq7bd.jpg

The next two photos are just fairly random close-ups of some of the shelves on the left-hand side of the study, the first showing my little collection of Infocom titles and the next showing some of the clamshells lined up together (I think these look great together):

ih4gw9.jpg

11rxe7t.jpg

This next one is just a clearer shot of my C64 set-up. I'm particularly pleased to have found matching original dust covers for the computer itself, the 1541 disk drive and the C2N datarecorder! The framed picture is the original piece of artwork (well, technically it's a collage) that I created for the cover of my book - in the end the publisher went with the simpler 'digital' design, but my alternative cover still made it into the book as an 'interlude' between the 1984 and 1985 chapters (there's a scan below for anyone who hasn't seen it before):

35lsyvk.jpg

4r47eb.jpg

And finally (for now) here's a shot of another shelf in a different part of the house - this shelf stretches above a balcony door and I use it for some of the largest-boxed games I own, including some Avalon Hill titles and my UK Activision disks. Those three copies of Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror are the BBC Master, BBC Micro and C64 cassette versions - the BBC Master version is enhanced and the BBC Micro version comes with its own dedicated ROM:

1zq3bt5.jpg

I'll try to take and upload some more pics before the Easter break is over. :)

Not sure where is best to post this (figured I'd try here before hitting ask the forum).. unfortunately my man-cave ideas are on hold until a future house move, so for the moment the majority of my gaming stuff needs to go in storage in the loft.

Just after recommendations for some sturdy, relatively cheap storage boxes that ideally suit DVD sized cases.

Ive has a browse around and some either seem too expensive or not the right size... I'm aware any old box could do the job, but want to try and keep it all as organaized as possible in the meantime.

Not sure where is best to post this (figured I'd try here before hitting ask the forum).. unfortunately my man-cave ideas are on hold until a future house move, so for the moment the majority of my gaming stuff needs to go in storage in the loft.

Just after recommendations for some sturdy, relatively cheap storage boxes that ideally suit DVD sized cases.

Ive has a browse around and some either seem too expensive or not the right size... I'm aware any old box could do the job, but want to try and keep it all as organaized as possible in the meantime.

I've always found that A4 photocopy paper boxes are among the sturdiest, simplest, and most readily-available options for this kind of thing. If you take the lid off a photocopy paper box and peer inside it 'lanscape' style, you'll see that you can fit two rows (one on the left side, and one on the right) of vertically-stacked DVD cases so neatly and comfortably that you'd almost think these boxes were designed specifically for this purpose. You'd be amazed how much of your collection you'll be able to store away in a surprisingly compact space this way, and of course the boxes themselves are easily stackable and satisfyingly anonymous-looking. And you can bring half a dozen home from the office for nothing, every day until you've nabbed as many as you need.

:)

They were my first thought.although ideally could do with something bigger.. Have around 500 to store away and wanted to minimise the number of boxes to use (currently got most stashed away in nappy boxes and no idea whats in each box :)

Jerry's big box collection sets my heart a-flutter. There's nothing in the world of 'stuff' that I like more than old computer games. I could spend hours and days just turning over boxes and flicking through manuals and novellas :wub:

Even though I'm a 99% faithful devotee to the minimalist existence these days I still cling onto a few old computer games, and I'd really like to complete my Infocom, Ultima and Gold Box collections if nothing else.

I moved in with my Girlfriend a few weeks ago and over the Easter Weekend, I’ve finally finished sorting out and building our new furniture.

Along with clearing out physical stuff, I sorted out my digital content too and came across these old photos that showed off my set up. Unfortunately I don’t have my pre-2006 set up as it would have shown off my man cave (Bedroom) that housed 20 consoles and hundreds of games.

2006 was just after I had cleared out the loft and was still in the height of my Anime collection.

GameSetUp2006.jpg

2007 resulted in another big cull but was bolstered by my 360.

GameSetUp2007.jpg

2008 was one of the final sort outs I had where everything bar my 360, PS2, PSP and my Laptop was sold or thrown out. Also a lovely HDTV replaced an equally lovely Sony Trinitron SDTV.

GameSetUp2008.jpg

2012 results in a new place where I’ve currently only got my PSone hooked up to the TV and my Girlfriends Wii alongside it. I’ve bowed out of this generation of consoles as I’ve completed everything I want and will be picking up a 3DS to play some fun games I’ve not touched before.

As soon as the next generation of consoles are released, I’ll be jumping back in!

Quite jealous of people's collections here. You must all be very rich. I have neither the space, nor the money for such indulgences. I pretty much sell-up my old gear to pay for new stuff, and have done since I was a kid, selling my Commodore 16 to fund a Speccy.

Here's my current (bit blurry) -

BPY99.jpg

I also have an epic shelf elsewhere with stuff like Mario Kart SNES, Demons Souls CE, etc on it. But in general I'm not big on 'collecting' unless it's a true rarity that will go up in value. If I had money and space to burn I definitely would be though.

And an old one, before the Wii, with stupid big speaker stacks -

1371966697_2157a95dcf.jpg

Well I finally get round to finding some time to show you my gaming room. It used to be very much dedicated to retro gaming but I have been asked to box up the consoles and make space in the room for our daughters stuff as well (not included in these photos is her play/art area where I had my consoles set up). I now have all my big box PC games around the room with the rest of the console games filling the rest of the space, the consoles are all packed away in the loft awaiting use and now I run games on emulators due to not having space for a CRT Telly and unit to put the consoles out (until we get the loft done then I have been assured I get full games room :))..

PC table - My Eyefinity setup and my wifes PC (mostly for WoW).

13789246.jpg

Console games shelf (and a multitude of SW figures)

pcroomshelf.jpg

Side of the room (Consoles games include Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, C64, Specy, Gamecube, Xbox 1 & 360, PS1, 2 & 3 games, Nes / SNES/ Atari, Megadrive and others).

pcroomside.jpg

Want. Also, I really should nick the shelving around the top of the room idea.

So neat and tidy, I have cables lying about all over my living room

Thank you. I spent 2 hours putting everything in to trunking and using cable ties to hold all the loose cables together, I just hope I never need to chase a cable and replace it :)

Want. Also, I really should nick the shelving around the top of the room idea.

Yeah I'm wondering why I've never thought of doing something similar too.

Lovely Big Box collection by the way Still-Life...its another big regret of mine, selling off my similar collection when I was a poor student many moons ago :(

Yeah I'm wondering why I've never thought of doing something similar too.

Lovely Big Box collection by the way Still-Life...its another big regret of mine, selling off my similar collection when I was a poor student many moons ago :(

Thank you very much, I love looking for new additions on Sunday booting. I have yet to find : Wing Commander 1 & 2, Heroes Quest's, Space Quests and a few other Lucas Arts games... I get very excited about what I may find on my Sunday morning walks :)

A couple of new Hardware additions have necessitated a slight shift of things. Usage of wood and bricks helped :P

p1080359j.th.jpg

Here's my new hardware, a 3DO and an Atari XEGS

p1080358p.th.jpg

Can only begin to imagine how the cables look behind that little lot!

Tidy (er) Well I've recently pulled them all out and put them back anyroad

I think we both know that you'll almost certainly have to do the cable shuffle at some point. :ph34r:

Anyone know of scart switches that take more than 5 sockets? :coffee:

I think we both know that you'll almost certainly have to do the cable shuffle at some point. :ph34r:

Anyone know of scart switches that take more than 5 sockets? :coffee:

I've not noticed any drop in quality from daisy chaining them one extra level, so a 3 can become 9.

I've been meaning to do a gameroom tour and posting it for ages, just never got round to it

All these superb collections with fantastic setups, but just saw this again and it made me smile, so reposting:

mynewsetupx.th.jpg

Keeping it real.

I have quite a modest setup in comparison to you lot as I don't really play games anymore, however I've just bought a nice new cabinet.

hzozC.jpg

Came today - love it. However I would like to find a way to put the Time Capsule on a shelf (or similar) above the location of the PS3, leaving the top of the cabinet nice and clear. This would also hide the wires of the PS3 and Apple TV which are quite easy to see due to the large gap. Is there such a thing as this item (illustrated in blue) that wouldn't look terrible here?

dJ7PU.jpg

Sadly I am no DIY expert, trying to build something myself would likely cause death. Any ideas?