• 14037 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

Old school :D:

#32 The-G

The-G
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

This track from Cyantic is absolutely amazing. It's off one of the Hospital Record mixes

#33 Janson

Janson
  • Members
  • 2328 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Anything on hospital is awesome... some andy c and hype too

#34 Janson

Janson
  • Members
  • 2328 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Anything on hospital is awesome... some andy c and hype too

#35 Isaac

Isaac
  • Members
  • 6336 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Andy C dropped this at the end of some dubstep night I went to last night (he's such a whore, he always seems to be playing the gurner's slot, even if the rest of the night is completely dubstep, with the odd bit of fidget)

Sub Focus - Let The Story Begin.

Was some heavy shit. Rewound it halfway through and it was just as good the second time, left the crowd buzzing.

#36 Van

Van
  • Supporters
  • 10597 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Andy C killed my ears at Fabric on Friday.

I could feel my hair vibrating during a couple of the songs. Too loud, Andy. Too loud.

#37 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12094 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

Andy C dropped this at the end of some dubstep night I went to last night (he's such a whore, he always seems to be playing the gurner's slot, even if the rest of the night is completely dubstep, with the odd bit of fidget)

Sub Focus - Let The Story Begin.

Was some heavy shit. Rewound it halfway through and it was just as good the second time, left the crowd buzzing.

Thats fucking awesome

#38 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8668 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

The Hospital Records all sound a bit limp wristed to me... you need some Current Value. One of the highlights of Glade last year for me.

Current Value, superb stuff.

He has done some quality remixes too:
Limewax - One Of Them (Current Value remix)
Limewax - One Of Them - the original

Not really feeling the drum n bass like I did, nothing really grabs me. The harder stuff is more my bag, even that's getting a bit stale, although I suspect it's more because I'm dnb'd out than because it's not good.

#39 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14610 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Angels Fell

This is the best tune in the thread. Can you buy any of this old shit digitally yet? I reckon I could spent a fortune on the mid nineties classics, even at 99p a pop.

I think the last thing I really enjoyed was the 'Power Ballads' album from London Elektricity and the Fabric Mix from High Contrast. Some of the new stuff is alright but for me it's all too fast, too hard and too linear. Not enough twisting the breaks (like Dillinja moaned about in that little interview) and too many one note synth basslines. Not enough funk and not enough jazz. Fair play if you're into it, but it's not for me.

Out of interest, you guys that are into the new shit, were you into drum n bass in the nineties? I imagine that if you didn't hear that shit when it came out, it would be like playing some vintage acid house to somebody who was into Hard House now.

#40 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14082 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

The Chase and Status album is pretty good.

I love the Mistabishi album and I think the Noisia Fabric live Cd is also very good.

Nothing much else has been doing it for me lately. The last London Elektricity album is also very good BTW acidbearboy.

#41 NonShinyGoose

NonShinyGoose
  • Members
  • 2516 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

High Contrast: Confidential is ace - it's a "greatest hits" collection plus a CD full of remixes of stuff like Basement Jaxx, Utah Saints, The Streets, etc.

Also give Commix a go.

#42 spacedinvader

spacedinvader
  • Members
  • 2614 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

Just stumbled across Peshay's Piano Tune for the first time in ages. Storming Amen goodness over haunting piano stabs FTW.

#43 Nate Dogg III

Nate Dogg III
  • Members
  • 9638 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

Just stumbled across Peshay's Piano Tune for the first time in ages. Storming Amen goodness over haunting piano stabs FTW.

LOVE that record. One of my first purchases I believe.

I picked up the Super Sharp Shooter EP from a market stall the other week and forgot how much I loved Tru Playaz Anthem, even though it's clearly beyond daft.

#44 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12043 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

Tru Playaz! Tru Plaaayaz. Tru Playaz! Truuu Plaayyaaaazzz. Yeah, some of that original jump up is class, and so much of it from the Ganja / Frontline boys. Not so much jump up, but still a Ganja classic:

Dopestyle - You must think first (Back 2 Basics rmx)

(it's not a 2004 mix, btw, 1994 more like)

And I can't give you that without putting this in:

DJ Hype - Mash Up Da Place (Origin Unknown Remix)

Go high quality on these badboys!

#45 Concept

Concept
  • Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Honestly? DnB's been 99% wackness since 1996. I blame Optical, Bad Company and Pendulum to name but a few. The really bad stuff is trashy, grooveless rock music with synths, and the stuff that's feted as 'good' and 'forward thinking' is just dull as dishwater. How did it all go so wrong?

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, I'd say drum and bass has been really tired when I've listened to it since 1999. The Dillinja (Fast Car/Angel's Fell) comparison is a good one - a lot of it seems barely beyond Happy Hardcore these days.

#46 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8668 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

It's what comes of a very few people essentially saying what goes, and they're mostly old hands.

#47 ChrisBravoTown

ChrisBravoTown
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

I'm really looking forward to the Sick Music album on Hospital next month. It's going to be incredible from what I've heard, and should be the perfect tonic to freshen up the ears of any retired junglists out there. B)

#48 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12094 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

My tune for the day

The Group Home sample is so good

Love that Peshay tune!

#49 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12043 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

My tune for the day

The Group Home sample is so good

I'll see your Gangsta Hardstep and raise you a GUNCHECK! :wub:

#50 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14610 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

There are certain albums that can forever embed themselves in your consciousness – one such album for many of us was Bukem’s Logical Progression. An early taste of drum & bass before anyone had told us what it was called and an introduction to a burgeoning generation of genius producers from the Good Looking family – Photek…Peshay…PFM – life changing. Thirteen years on and Bukem maintains those same family values. His FABRICLIVE 46 mix is out in two weeks (this Monday for the fabricfirst members); prepare for a tracklisting packed from front to back with new talent and a mix that will replenish your faith in D&B.

A bold mix of new and burgeoning talent, this is a seventy minute sneak peek at the future of drum & bass. It's a simple formula - one genius, two decks and 18 great records. This is the mix which will re-establish LTJ Bukem as one of electronic music's maverick selectors - not afraid to shun the big tunes and, instead, stick to his principles and remind the record buying world that Good Looking is still the relentless musical force it always was.

Anybody heard this yet? Promo copies are certainly out there. Small samples of each track on the Fabric website here but most of them seem to be the mix from one track to another or just the break, fading out as the bassline drops :wub: Doesn't seem to be anything massively original but it all sounds quite nice.

#51 Joj

Joj
  • Members
  • 1032 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Out of interest, you guys that are into the new shit, were you into drum n bass in the nineties? I imagine that if you didn't hear that shit when it came out, it would be like playing some vintage acid house to somebody who was into Hard House now.

I think this is hitting the nail oin the head.

I was aware of DnB in the nineties but most likely much too young too appreciate it then. It all seemed dark and the production was a bit too dirty/grimey for my tastes. This time around I've found it MUCH easier to appreciate as contemporary production leans toward a tighter and punchier feel, and big powerful chord movements are now favoured over dissonant chromatic ideas. Both have their time and place, but the 'new shit' simply appeals to me more.

It's a fair statement to say modern DnB is just a repackaged version of the 90s stuff. But I reckon you could say that about almost any genre of music and it's predecessors, eventually taking you back as far as the 50s, because, personally, I don't believe there have been any true musical (or at least harmonic) developments since the Jazz/Bebop of that era. The only progression we've seen since has been in branding and production, and it's exactly the same in this case.

#52 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14082 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Can I just say everyone on this thread fails because there's not one mention of Calibre.

Or Marcus Intalex or Cyantific or NU:Tone or Logistics.

#53 Joj

Joj
  • Members
  • 1032 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Can I just say everyone on this thread fails because there's not one mention of Calibre.

Or Marcus Intalex or Cyantific or NU:Tone or Logistics.

haha, i mentioned logistics. I think somebody posted that space zombies thing by cyantific

Re: Nu Tone, has anyone heard the Balaclava mix of System? It's on the new hospital podcast (88) - it's pretty tasty, even if it is the 8 millionth version of the track.

I haven't given Calibre or Marcus Intalex anywhere near enough time, as in, i've only really heard their stuff out. Recommend me stuffs.

Is anyone planning to go to Hospitality @ Matter?? -> http://www.hospitalr...itality/london/

I went to the last few and they were ALL amazing nights. Definitely worth getting down to if hospital and the type are your bag.

#54 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14082 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

haha, i mentioned logistics. I think somebody posted that space zombies thing by cyantific

Re: Nu Tone, has anyone heard the Balaclava mix of System? It's on the new hospital podcast (88) - it's pretty tasty, even if it is the 8 millionth version of the track.

I haven't given Calibre or Marcus Intalex anywhere near enough time, as in, i've only really heard their stuff out. Recommend me stuffs.

Is anyone planning to go to Hospitality @ Matter?? -> http://www.hospitalr...itality/london/

I went to the last few and they were ALL amazing nights. Definitely worth getting down to if hospital and the type are your bag.

Well in relation to Calibre I recommend his first album

Musique Concrete
Overflow
Shelflife
Second Sun

His work with Marcus Intalex and ST files is also very good

MI:ST

#55 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12094 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

I'll see your Gangsta Hardstep and raise you a GUNCHECK! :unsure:

hehehehe

I will match that and im all in

#56 Technocop

Technocop
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

Enjoying some of the older stuff being posted in this thread. My favourite tunes of the year so far:

Zero Tolerance feat. Steo - Long Distance

Noisia - My World

London Elektricty - Just One Second (Apex remix) from Hospital's Sick Music LP mentioned earlier in the thread

#57 spacedinvader

spacedinvader
  • Members
  • 2614 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

On a nostalgia trip right now but can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a file of LK by SP Collective that they could upload? It was also known as Patife's Theme for a while before it's proper release. Marky used to play it a lot around 2001..in fact everyone did.

#58 Joj

Joj
  • Members
  • 1032 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Anybody planning to go to Hospitality @ MATTER ?

http://www.hospitalr...itality/london/

It's an amazing night, and this one has the best line up so far

Lineup:-
Room 1 - High Contrast / London Elektricity / Scratch Perverts / Spor / Cyantific / Logistics / Blame / Sigma / Dynamite MC / MC Wrec / SP:MC / MC Rage
Room 2 - David Rodigan / Rusko / Klute / Ramadanman / The Others / Data

#59 Van

Van
  • Supporters
  • 10597 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

I may well be there. Probably heading to Fabric on the 19th, too. Hype, Andy C, Logistics, LTJ Bukem... Solid line up, plus Fabricfirst members go free.

#60 Jackson

Jackson
  • Members
  • 1694 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

London Elektricty - Just One Second (Apex remix) from Hospital's Sick Music LP mentioned earlier in the thread

Absolutely lovely tune :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users