Joj

The Drum & Bass Thread

406 posts in this topic

Honestly? DnB's been 99% wackness since 1996. I blame Optical, Bad Company and Pendulum to name but a few. The really bad stuff is trashy, grooveless rock music with synths, and the stuff that's feted as 'good' and 'forward thinking' is just dull as dishwater. How did it all go so wrong?

(Sorry Joj)

There's been a few threads, just not all in one place. If you search Music for 'dnb' most of them come up. There's a 'Summery DnB' one for example that doesn't have any of the guitar n bass n sirens that Pendulum peddle.

*tsk* Did Rosco just dis my buddy Fresh?! Fair point though.

:) I'd say he's well past worrying about being dissed on forums. Actually, wasn't DOA started by Bad Co / Fresh? In fairness, some early bad company is fairly thrilling stuff - you can't test The Nine for instance. Its effect was corrosive though...

DnB used to be my favourite club music but to be honest I'm just plain bored of it now :( Seeing Roni Size on the 29th though :)

I was out of the loop for 10 years. Drum & Bass was the sound of the future....then it became the sound of advertising.

BUT....in the last year I discovered the Hospital Records podcast, and I've got right back into it. It's a superb label, with great artists like London Elektricity, Mistabishi, High Contrast.

If you've ever liked Drum & Bass then get Mistabishi's "Drop" album.

Keep the faith!

:) I'd say he's well past worrying about being dissed on forums. Actually, wasn't DOA started by Bad Co / Fresh? In fairness, some early bad company is fairly thrilling stuff - you can't test The Nine for instance. Its effect was corrosive though...

Yes, DOA was an offshoot of the Bad Co website. It was just an automatically attached forum, but grew into it's own thing. Yeah The Nine was amazing but spawned years of everyone just replicating that sound.

At 32, I do feel too old for DnB now and hardly listen at all. There's been some awesome music over the years though, but I think I'd be almost double the average age at most DnB nights these days. I don't know how Dan keeps it up...the money helps I'm sure. And the young adoring chicks.

I was out of the loop for 10 years. Drum & Bass was the sound of the future....then it became the sound of advertising.

BUT....in the last year I discovered the Hospital Records podcast, and I've got right back into it. It's a superb label, with great artists like London Elektricity, Mistabishi, High Contrast.

If you've ever liked Drum & Bass then get Mistabishi's "Drop" album.

Keep the faith!

Im a big fan of High Contrast, Ill give the podcast a listen - thanks.

Im a big fan of High Contrast, Ill give the podcast a listen - thanks.

High COntrast co-presents one of the most recent podcasts, number 85 iirc.

Used to fucking love it as well, it's what started me DJing but I lost interest and very little I've heard in the intervening years has had me worrying I'm missing out.

415ZGGJCNZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

DSC00261.JPG

Pretty much all I need these days.

Is there much of the old stuff on spotify? I'm guessing not but if we could get some collab playlist shit going, oh boy.

You should all get listening to most of the hospital record signings. IMO the best label out there a the moment.

You should all get listening to most of the hospital record signings. IMO the best label out there a the moment.

Seconded!

Martsman's signed exclusively to Hospital now, and he's one of the only producers i'd still buy vinyl from. Him and Jonny L :)

Hate to bandwagon.

But I'm going to anyway.

A third vote for hospital records. Definitely recommend listening to the podcast. Although the most recent one (86) was a little weak.

Oh and yar yar, don't mean to be rude, but enough of "90's DNB Golden Age" BS. It's definitely different now, and maybe you don't like it, which is fine. But there is SO much more to the scene than Pendulum and the ilk. I find contemporary DnB to by one of the most progressive areas of modern music. Try and get listening to, for example; London Elektricity, Logistics, High Contrast and Bop (all on Hospital) before you write off the genre. Quality music all, and a good range between them.

A couple of good tracks good tracks from this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kA7QowUB4...&playnext=1

I really like that one, although in the comments people seem to be talking about a better, pre-release version with Joni Mitchell vocals that couldn't be released due to copyright issues. I'd like to hear that version!

As for DnB albums, this thread needs:

More_than_alot.jpeg

Chase and Status - More Than a Lot

I know everyone and their mum is sick to death of it now, but if you've not heard it (aka, you've been living in a cave) then it's well worth picking up. It's not all DnB (smatterings of dubstep across the album) but it is probably my favourite dnb album of the past year.

OK, so it's a bit old but I really like this at the minute...

Seba & Paradox - Last Goodbye

EDIT: And another cracker from Seba...

Seba - Special Ops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmsvR65iu7g

I'm finding Seba a bit hit and miss personally, but I really like 'Snow' by him, which is on the the new Hospital Podcast (87).

That whole podcast is pretty sick actually, definitely back on form. Highlights are (imo) the logistics stuff, that old Mistabishi track and 'The Burbs' track is luuush. Also MY FACE appears to be on the little picture window that goes with the podcast on chaper 3 :( (Danny breaks - Droppin Science, logistics rmx) I'm the guy in the blue t-shirt, and white willy wonka shades. Does this now mean that I'm truly famous? so I can finally retire and buy an island in carribean?

Oh and yar yar, don't mean to be rude, but enough of "90's DNB Golden Age" BS. It's definitely different now, and maybe you don't like it, which is fine. But there is SO much more to the scene than Pendulum and the ilk. I find contemporary DnB to by one of the most progressive areas of modern music. Try and get listening to, for example; London Elektricity, Logistics, High Contrast and Bop (all on Hospital) before you write off the genre. Quality music all, and a good range between them.

I know all those acts well. I bought the last Bop 12", it's decent, but it's just 90s electronica really. I was probably a bit harsh, there's some good stuff out there, but i'm just sick of hearing the same sounds and forms that have been around for years in DnB. In it's heyday you would never know what was going to be the next change, the next surprise. There's never any surprises any more. Anyway, I shan't keep banging on about it! As you were.

I know all those acts well. I bought the last Bop 12", it's decent, but it's just 90s electronica really. I was probably a bit harsh, there's some good stuff out there, but i'm just sick of hearing the same sounds and forms that have been around for years in DnB. In it's heyday you would never know what was going to be the next change, the next surprise. There's never any surprises any more. Anyway, I shan't keep banging on about it! As you were.

Talk is cheap. I agree with what they're saying, but when you come out with shite like

, you're not really putting those words into action.

While i'm here, check these old Dilly cuts. Try them through something that can give you decent bass, what he does with bass in these tunes... :) : Jah know ya big, Sky

Menace, momentum, funk. These tunes kill you like a fencer, his tunes now are like getting run over by a JCB.

Talk is cheap. I agree with what they're saying, but when you come out with shite like
, you're not really putting those words into action.

haha, too true!

To be fair to them though, making drum and bass records is their livelyhood and they are only making what the crowd will respond to at their gigs. Which is probably where the problem lies.

When I listen to dubstep I can hear all the old dnb production techniques being used and loads of attention to detail in the kicks and snares and bass sounds, it seems thats where the talent is in this kind of music nowadays.

From the Hospital Podcast (74, I think), and should be released pretty soon on Hospital's Sick Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3Je2_YsBc

B-Complex has a mix called "Different Kind of Masochist" which you might want to hunt down. It's pretty good.

To be fair to them though, making drum and bass records is their livelyhood and they are only making what the crowd will respond to at their gigs. Which is probably where the problem lies.

Yeah, big time - DnB sets were always short, so most of the big DJs were under pressure to play their biggest bangers and nothing but. It's a bit of a dead end as it turns out.

When I listen to dubstep I can hear all the old dnb production techniques being used and loads of attention to detail in the kicks and snares and bass sounds, it seems thats where the talent is in this kind of music nowadays.

Yeah, there's loads of great stuff coming out at that tempo - I don't know what I'm going to get when I walk into the shop, and that's what I used to get with DnB...

Locust is still my all time favourite for balls out scary noise!

Love London Elektricity and Hi Contrast tho

From the Hospital Podcast (74, I think), and should be released pretty soon on Hospital's Sick Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3Je2_YsBc

B-Complex has a mix called "Different Kind of Masochist" which you might want to hunt down. It's pretty good.

That is one of the best new tunes i have heard for a while - thanks.