marlonharewood

Sci Fi recommendations

1274 posts in this topic

That's sort of how I felt during, and after, reading [i]House of Suns[/i], which I loved to bits. Looking forward to trying out some of his other stuff eventually.

I also need to check out the likes of Banks, and Hamilton. I've got one or two of their books ([i]Player of Games[/i] and [i]The Reality Dysfunction[/i] respectively) on the to-read pile now

Reynolds - I agree. Very long books but the action seemed to happen at a break neck speed which made it hard to follow with huge amounts of stuff happening at the end of the books.

Hamilton - I liked a lot of Night's Dawn Trilogy but not the whole "the beyond" stuff. I hated that.

Banks - Brilliant.

[quote name='El Geet' post='6853429' date='Mar 3 2010, 06:34 PM']They're all fantastic books but they remind me a little bit of the West Wing. A lot of the time I haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about what with all the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contractions, photo-leptonic explosions, altered vacuums expanding superluminally and stuff falling into tachyonic mass states but I enjoy it anyway.

I get the feeling it's all based on actual physics but it might be a load of old tosh too. Who cares?[/quote]
Revelation Space is the only one of his books I've read so far, but I loved the ending's [spoiler]unimaginably fast computer carved out of a neutron star that, due to the uncertainty principle, is both stable [i]and[/i] collapsing into a black hole at the same time[/spoiler]. :facepalm:

[quote name='K' post='6834037' date='Feb 24 2010, 11:58 AM']Bear in mind that Sundiver is rubbish, and is nothing like the other books in the series. If you’re getting started with David Brin, I would recommend beginning with ‘Startide Rising’, which is the second book in the series, and is basically space opera with the fast-forward button sellotaped down.[/quote]

That happened to me. I read Sundiver and thought it was meh. Never bothered with the rest. I heard about Startide Rising being much better only recently so I've got it queued up to read.

Greg Bear has a load of good books worth reading too. Eon, Eternity, Darwin's Children, Forge of God, Anvil of Stars.

I started reading Startide Rising this morning. Wow. What a difference. It's like a completely different author wrote this and Sundiver. I normally like sci-fi mysteries but Sundiver was a real struggle. Startide is one of those books that goes down smooth.

I'm reading Hyperion at the mo mo. Well, I've read Hyperion and I've moved on to The Fall of Hyperion, but it's in one big volume. Very convenient. Colonel Kassad is a bit of a cool bloke, isn't he? Colonel Koolio I call him. Inside my mind.

Finally started reading Consider Phlebas last night. Only a couple of chapters in, but it's rather good innit?

[quote name='michael' post='6885208' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:54 AM']Finally started reading Consider Phlebas last night. Only a couple of chapters in, but it's rather good innit?[/quote]

I really enjoyed it. I like how the opposite viewpoint to the other culture novels is presented. The Culture are the baddies, and deserve to be stopped. I'm glad it was the first one I read, as otherwise my views would have been skewed.

[quote name='horribleman' post='6875139' date='Mar 11 2010, 12:58 PM']Let me know what startide ends up like. I quite fancy it.[/quote]

3/4s through now. Very good space opera and very easy to read. It's like it was written by a completely different author to Sundiver.

EDIT. And finished. Enjoyed it a lot. Started another one but I'm not feeling it.

[quote name='SM47' post='6884788' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:23 AM']I'm reading Hyperion at the mo mo. Well, I've read Hyperion and I've moved on to The Fall of Hyperion, but it's in one big volume. Very convenient. Colonel Kassad is a bit of a cool bloke, isn't he? Colonel Koolio I call him. Inside my mind.[/quote]
I had that compiled volume, and whlist there's lots of story it never gets dull. The Fall Of Hyperion is the best one, super stuff.

[quote name='Hoop version, too' post='6037397' date='Apr 26 2009, 07:47 PM']Oh, squeeze in Joe Haldeman's 'The Forever War' if you want to hate our species.[/quote]

I was going to recommend this also.

Brilliant.

[quote name='Headache' post='6962529' date='Apr 11 2010, 01:38 PM']Were you drinking at the time?[/quote]
No, I can't drink and read. I think I've been spoiled by Alastair Reynolds as far as space opera goes.

[quote name='Sloth' post='6978951' date='Apr 16 2010, 07:49 AM']I just finished reading the Forever War this afternoon and thought it was excellent.[/quote]
You listening bastion? Give it another go!

[quote name='Flub' post='6979252' date='Apr 16 2010, 10:26 AM']I'm 2/3rds of the way through my first ever reading of Dune. Bloody love it.[/quote]

It's an incredible piece of sci-fi. I'm rereading Dune for about the fifth time. Are the other books any good? I'm mostly interested in the Bene Gesserit and their history.

Dune Messiah is just as good, Children of Dune is worth a read if you still want more, but you'd have to be really committed to go beyond those two I'd say.

Yeah, the next two are well worth reading but they get reaally woolly after that... I have read them all :blah:

I hated Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune, but liked God Emperor Of Dune. The Second and third novels seem like some ludicrous soap opera, but then it switches back to the mythic quality of the first book.