Ben

The Techno Thread

319 posts in this topic

Colin Favour has died :(

Colin%20Favor.jpeg

I can't believe it. Another great techno DJ when Kiss FM was the real Kiss and a huge inspiration to me has passed away. I Spent a huge number of years listening to him and Dale.

So gutted.

Sad to hear. Some friends are doing a night with Colin Dale this week. Those two DJs are proper influences on my musics taste and the doors it opened. Some good memories.

Colin Favour has died :(

Colin%20Favor.jpeg

I can't believe it. Another great techno DJ when Kiss FM was the real Kiss and a huge inspiration to me has passed away. I Spent a huge number of years listening to him and Dale.

So gutted.

Ah shit, was just wondering what had happened to him with a mate the other day.

Ah shit, was just wondering what had happened to him with a mate the other day.

Off to see Colin Dale tomorrow night. Should be a good one

I should post tracks i own that i got after listening to their shows....

So i will...

Starting with Claude Young with a very old Detroit piece with a lovely nighttime Dystopian vibe...

If anyone listened to any shows maybe they'll recall em...

I think Dale played this one...its electronica really but it was inspired by techno (and on Harthouse) so therefore stands...as techno IMO :)....

This was played on a show along with some early Dave Angel back in 1993. I'll post the Dave Angel Track shortly but it was when Trance came from techno so had those dark, Detroit influences...

This just hit the spot. Taken from Colin Dales show again (Favor was harder usually)

First it had great stabs so had loads of excitement - you just knew it was going to rock, then the strings just blew me away.

But this this kicked off an Abstract Dance Show. It was amazing pounding out my car and was basically Casper Pounds early take on Gabba (probably why it has Football airhorns).

Total stomper and full of energy especially with that hardcore bassline and fantastic 909 hats. Although i didn't like much Gabba, my theory was that some tracks just rocked for the sake of it and had a dark edge so could be classed as solid techno rather then being dismissed as gabba shite. And indeed, thats what they eventually became once the likes of Surgeon et all took hold.

Colin actually started the track playing at 1.29 rather then the start so it has loads of energy coming off the back of one of his sonically stunning idents.

If you liked emotive stuff back then, few tracks were as dark as this. Lovely intro and another night time track that just works when your driving around.

A classic on POD communications and played by Favor in a 1992 show...

One last track for tonight.

Another one Colin Favor started off a show with. You can hear why. Mental stabs and Rave era musak but one of best..

Ironically my daughter is studying Moby at School owing to his more recent film compositions. When she told me i was like...oh did you know he used to have a world record song?

Needless to say she didn't like it ;)

Look forward to checking those tracks later Dim.

Check this 808/303 epic from the CTI Elemental LP. Deep acid techno, released in 1984!!!

Cheers ABB...some really early 303 work. I'm sure i've heard of some other CTI music - going to have to investigate my stuff.

So here we go again...

That very English melodic techno/electronic with lush strings and a lovely Piano. Not quite as dark as Detroit, but this is another prime example of what UK artists did to the sound to make it their own.

Rising High were not always seen as pioneering the Intellegent Electronica sound like Warp but they released a great Black Dog EP or two and this guy...

Bedouin Ascent - Maganese in Deep Violet

And anyone who though trance is shite...well i usually agree but on one or two occasions, a track would blow me away.

On Eye Q records (Behind the Eye compilation)...

Brainchild's - Synfonica...

And the more well known, and rather more depressing...

Cygnus X - Agent Orange (on Hooj)

So heading back to Detroit vibes with a French take now...

Taho's - Jazzy J (from the Elle EP)

Orange Theme is still amazing. Pretty much all of Carl Cox's Fact 1 compilation is trance-y Techno, but we didn't call it trance then, we called it euro techno. I remember the warm up DJ playing it at Nosebleed, a gabba/hardcore night, but he'd always play it at +8 including Robert Mile's 'Children'. Then somehow the trance label stuck and it became Gatecrasher shite.

Do you do any mixes of classics?

Yeah, when i posted as Afterbirth i did loads. About 7 or 8 corny Hip hop ones, a couple of 3 hour Electronica mixes eons ago, a couple of pure Detroit, a Jeff Mills one and a rave mix.

They seemed well received back in the day. They didn't sound too great though. I could upload em' again sometime.

I've still got about ten labels or producers i'd like to get down.

Rising High, Peacefrog, Musicman, Downwards, etc.