• Please log in to reply
2202 replies to this topic

#451 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

Why?!

It will not be 16 players. The maps are designed for The originally intended number of players.

These comments are so stupid.

This isn't being developed by Rare, 4J studios are doing it.

If it was originally 4 + bots, the best you can hope for is that all bots now replaced with real players.

Its not being done by rare- like the XBLA banjo's. And Unlike the canned goldeneye which was done by Chris T ^_^

Which is probably a good thing considering some of the people at rare now, who would attempt to add "zany" new features to what was already a classic multiplayer.

"ZOOMING IN EYES!" ;)

Aaah I thought they were doing it.. ..hang on if they arent what the fuck ARE they doing, more Avatar stuff?
I know they were due to lay some off early this year (with the old foul method of making people re-apply.. ^_^ ) but considering how many teams they have .. or had.. :eyebrows:

#452 Kevvy Metal

Kevvy Metal
  • Members
  • 4774 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

4J studios did a great job on Banjo and Oblivion PS3.

Oblivion PS3 is one of the few PS3 ports that actually runs well!

Some say better than Bethesdas' 360 port.

#453 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Tell me more please.

Just watttt indeed.

Lasers and stuff weren't all that fun to use, shitty levels I can't remember a damn thing about, and that stupid fucking gun that let you see and shoot people through walls.

#454 ryodi

ryodi
  • Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Lasers and stuff weren't all that fun to use, shitty levels I can't remember a damn thing about, and that stupid fucking gun that let you see and shoot people through walls.

The last gun you mention was the Farsight which I thought was a lot of fun to use, if I recall it made up for it's shooting people through walls by being incredibly slow to move to aim and reload.

#455 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 10341 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

The last gun you mention was the Farsight which I thought was a lot of fun to use, if I recall it made up for it's shooting people through walls by being incredibly slow to move to aim and reload.

Except that it wasn't actually that slow; you could hold the R button and, IIRC, left-C and it would auto lock onto an opponent, no matter where on the map they were, making 1 on 1 battles absolutely pointless on stages with the weapon enabled.

It was more powerful than the standard sniper rifle too... I think it might have been one of the most powerful guns in the game. It was as bad as design decision as Goldeneye's The Stack on Power Weapons having the RCP90 and the body armor sat right next to each other. Many a frustrating multiplayer session was had with those settings and my evil bastard of a cousin.

That said; perfect dark is amazing mostly. I'm looking forward to struggling though it's most unforgivingly hard challenges and getting at best 200G in total for my efforts.

#456 Sack Man 64

Sack Man 64
  • Members
  • 4105 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Perfect Dark had the better MP. Classic re-imagines of Goldeneyes best levels, great secondary functions to guns (laptop gun or the dragon which could become a proximity mine). I just remember games of everyone saying 'nobody can use the n bomb' and 30 seconds into a game there would be an area with about 10 all going off at once.

#457 incapable hulk

incapable hulk
  • Members
  • 1999 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Aaah I thought they were doing it.. ..hang on if they arent what the fuck ARE they doing, more Avatar stuff?
I know they were due to lay some off early this year (with the old foul method of making people re-apply.. :D ) but considering how many teams they have .. or had.. :quote:

They laid quite a few off from I heard. Sad times really :D

Its more avatar stuff and they are probably working on Natal stuff too. Kameo 2 was apparently canned which is a god send to us all. Why on earth they even entertained the idea of making a sequel....mad men!

#458 Throbin Hood

Throbin Hood
  • Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

I look forward to being able to use the N-Bomb without getting slowdown to 4 FPM.

The Farsight wasn't that bad, you could strafe faster than it panned, if you knew the level you could escape from almost any situation. A skilled user would come out of the green screen effect and aim in front of where the person was running before going back into the green effect.

I really hope we can do the challenges co-op online, some of the later ones from 25-30 (I think) were almost impossible without another person helping out. You were outnumbered 4/6-1 by darksims with only Jonathan (I hated him, he was rubbish) to help you.

Edit: There is bound to be an achievement for finding all the cheese and one for getting all golds in the shooting range. Probably one for the combat simulator too.

#459 Darragh

Darragh
  • Members
  • 15446 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Man, if they don't fully implement every multiplayer mode (regular, co-op, and counter-op), there's gonna be uproar. And rightly so! But if they do, and they nail the controls, that's my winter's online gaming taken care of. Just the thought of a team of 4 people playing online, taking on as many Dark Sims as the game can handle...*drool*.

#460 Chooch

Chooch
  • Members
  • 8121 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

They laid quite a few off from I heard. Sad times really :quote:

Its more avatar stuff and they are probably working on Natal stuff too. Kameo 2 was apparently canned which is a god send to us all. Why on earth they even entertained the idea of making a sequel....mad men!

I quite liked Kameo :D

#461 El Stevo

El Stevo
  • Members
  • 3242 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

You guys are going to be surprised by how much there is in the game that you've forgotten about. Amazing game.

#462 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

Man, if they don't fully implement every multiplayer mode (regular, co-op, and counter-op), there's gonna be uproar. And rightly so! But if they do, and they nail the controls, that's my winter's online gaming taken care of. Just the thought of a team of 4 people playing online, taking on as many Dark Sims as the game can handle...*drool*.

I remember the Dark sims being unbelievably impossible to beat in early versions - they were only changed when Tim Stamper himself caught one on tape - it was at the end of a corridor then Tim died. Checking the VHS (aaah good old days.. eeewww) and finding the sim was weilding a rocket launcher and strafed out into sight for a single frame, fired and ducked back. The team changed it to make it "more possible" the next version :quote:

I quite liked Kameo :D

I would rather boil my own spuds in vinegar than play that travesty again. Started out Pokemon -a - like, got stuck in Development Hell for fucking GENERATIONS then ended up just being another Rare Adventure Em Up, but written by Mr Plank. Licky Stem indeed.

#463 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10636 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

It's all about taking on a mob of fist sims, with only the psychosis dart gun and your wits to defend yourself. Super blur-o-time!

#464 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 25070 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

You guys are going to be surprised by how much there is in the game that you've forgotten about.

Not me son!

Does anyone remember how you could stand in the little room with the sliding door at the end of the long corridor where the weapons were in Felicity, and let the sliding door close on the barrel of your rifle? So that you could see the opposite door, but when people came through it looked like your door was closed?

And then you shot them as they ran down to get the body armour that they thought was still in the room?

All hail!

EDIT: Mind you, there's a fair chance that this tactic won't work anymore in the age of HD... :quote:

#465 incapable hulk

incapable hulk
  • Members
  • 1999 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I would rather boil my own spuds in vinegar than play that travesty again. Started out Pokemon -a - like, got stuck in Development Hell for fucking GENERATIONS then ended up just being another Rare Adventure Em Up, but written by Mr Plank. Licky Stem indeed.

licky stem- i'd totally forgotten about that.

Was it j allard who liked to say it had been compared favourably to zelda? :quote:

Super andreas strikes! Dont throw things into his puddle.....

#466 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7420 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

I remember the Dark sims being unbelievably impossible to beat in early versions - they were only changed when Tim Stamper himself caught one on tape - it was at the end of a corridor then Tim died. Checking the VHS (aaah good old days.. eeewww) and finding the sim was weilding a rocket launcher and strafed out into sight for a single frame, fired and ducked back. The team changed it to make it "more possible" the next version :D

One thing that always annoyed me about the bots was that even the lowly MeatSims could fire and reload Falcon 2s and DY357 magnums faster than the game allowed humans to. :quote:

#467 Trent Taylor

Trent Taylor
  • Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Rescuing Carrington on the villa level, with the sniper rifle and the machine gun that locks onto multiple targets. Breaking in then escaping from Datadyne. Clearing out the Carrigton Institute after it is taken over. The scary shotgun lesbians that turns the lights out on the roof. The helicopter on the upper levels of the Datadyne building. Storming Air Force One to rescue the president.

;)

#468 simms

simms
  • Members
  • 4623 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

This game was fucking brillant in it's day so far ahead of it's time best game on n64 for me. So much improved over goldeneye. I could see the brillance beyond it's framerate and now its going to have the graphics and framerate it deserves as well as the usual 360 extras. ;) some peeps on here are mental

#469 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10636 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

The helicopter on the upper levels of the Datadyne building.

I'd forgotten all about that.

;)

#470 codeque

codeque
  • Members
  • 2128 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

Looking forward to this. When it originally came out, I had been spoiled by the likes of Half Life on the PC, so the bad frame rate was just too much. I wonder if they'll add anything to the multi-player, as a way of giving us the original Goldeneye levels, like Felicity/Facility etc.

#471 Trent Taylor

Trent Taylor
  • Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

I'd forgotten all about that.

:o

Yup, only on medium and hard levels I think. Extra objectives for harder levels, amazing that this never caught on, it worked so well for Goldeneye and PD.

:)

#472 Snowman

Snowman
  • Members
  • 3676 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

It was such a great idea. Upon completion of the campaign, you're left wanting more but rather than having to wait two years for a sequel, you just select the next difficulty. Genius. I guess it never caught on because developers and publishers alike couldn't abide the thought of players being unable to access all the game's content due to a lack of skill. I hate to say it, but I think that's the right decision.

#473 ryodi

ryodi
  • Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

There was also a working hoverbike at the Carrington Institute near the gun range if I remember correctly. Not that you had very much space to use it.

#474 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

Looking forward to this. When it originally came out, I had been spoiled by the likes of Half Life on the PC, so the bad frame rate was just too much. I wonder if they'll add anything to the multi-player, as a way of giving us the original Goldeneye levels, like Felicity/Facility etc.

AAhh Felicity, she fills me with electricity..
Still the best level IMO :o

#475 Grobbelboy

Grobbelboy
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

There was also a working hoverbike at the Carrington Institute near the gun range if I remember correctly. Not that you had very much space to use it.

Yeah, also in Area 51. And it had great controls. But you could use it for about 7 seconds. But Rare just put it in anyway. Awesome :o

#476 Afternoon Delight

Afternoon Delight
  • Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Rare had some very talented people and some very arrogant people.
After PD, all the talented people left and Nintendo sold Rare for an absolute fortune.

#477 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10636 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

Rare had some very talented people and some very arrogant people.
After PD, all the talented people left and Nintendo sold Rare for an absolute fortune.

Bullshit.

#478 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 25070 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

AAhh Felicity, she fills me with electricity..
Still the best level IMO ;)

Equal for me with the Skedar Arena.

I can hardly believe that we'll be able to play that level, against loads of people, via Live.

Man, living in the future is great!

#479 El Stevo

El Stevo
  • Members
  • 3242 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, also in Area 51. And it had great controls. But you could use it for about 7 seconds. But Rare just put it in anyway. Awesome ;)

You could also use it in the big open snowy level (Crash Site: Confrontation) if you did the right thing in the preceding level. It makes a bit more sense to have the bike there, you can't use it for much anywhere else.

#480 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 5865 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

If there isn't an Achievement for breaking out of the practise range and filling Carrington full of arrows/throwing knives I'll be most upset.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (5)