Photo

New Syndicate/Project Redlime (PC, PS3, X360)

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#391 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 13197 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

http://www.edge-onli...yndicate-review

A review of 2 halves.

Spoiler

#392 dayte

dayte
  • Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

It's like the reviewer wrote the beginning and end together, but then thought 'hmmm it is quite fun though' so added the shooting in style paragraph.

#393 daveodeth

daveodeth
  • Members
  • 6721 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I sincerely don't get why people moan about field of views and that. I remember messing with the field of view in quake and it was like that bit in hot shots with Wall-eye.

Because I don't like being made to feel sick while I play. You had fish eye view because your either doing it wrong or a filthy cheating whore.

#394 DjSatansfur3h

DjSatansfur3h
  • Supporters
  • 6266 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Has the demo disapeared off PSN anyone? I cant seem to find it.

I sincerely don't get why people moan about field of views and that. I remember messing with the field of view in quake and it was like that bit in hot shots with Wall-eye.

You wouldnt sit with your face an inch from your screen? Well its a bit like that.

#395 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66512 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I sit about 3 feet from my 46" 3D TV while playing console games. What does this mean for my FOV?

#396 deerokus

deerokus
  • Members
  • 12027 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

It affects some people more than others. If, like me, you don't notice it then you don't notice it, but the effect is horrible for those who do. Also, I mostly play on a 20 inch monitor or my laptop screen, and while this means I am close to the screen, it's not a problem on small screens as I understand it.

#397 Drive

Drive
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

I'm playing this on PC hooked up to a huge tv, and it's excellent so far. Bad port? Nonsense.

#398 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well if you're playing it on a big tv with a controller then a straight unaltered port of the xbox version is exactly what you'd want. The fov will be perfect, the controlls will be perfect, everything folk are complaining about will be a complete none issue for you, surely?
Most pc gamers don't use their pc as a console, though i'd imagine those that just give in and do so have far less headaches :D
I haven't played it myself so i don't know how bad everything really is but they all sound like legitimate complaints.

#399 DjSatansfur3h

DjSatansfur3h
  • Supporters
  • 6266 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

The FOV on Skryim was silly as well. It makes it feel like a console game, rather than a pc game. You up it to a comfortable level, you can suddenly see about 20% more of the environment around you.

#400 waddie

waddie
  • Members
  • 2795 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

KABLOOM!

There's a bit early on (when you're heading for the train) where the bloom completely whited out the entire screen for me, a significant distance from the nearest wall.

I am enjoying this. Theme aside, it's more like a slightly naff, faster paced Crysis 2 than any Deus Ex game. With typically bullshit Starbreeze boss fights. It's a completely average guns and superpowers FPS, but the sort of average that I like to spend a weekend playing once or twice a year.

Can we have a dedicated FOV topic, rather than having every single topic derailed by tedious PC guff?

#401 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

We pc gamers don't find it exciting either you know, we find it tedious and fucking annoying that we have to keep trying to fix these broken games.

You've just made a post complaining about the overdone bloom there.
If someone who had the game was to come in here and make a post offering a way for pc gamers to turn off the bloom effect via config files or whatever, no doubt you'd be going "gah, bloody hell man, start a bloom thread for your tedious pc guff"

Just ignore it if it doesn't concern or interest you. So long as it's related to the game and concerns some of the people playing it then it's worthy of discussion.
It'd be silly if we had separate threads for all the different console and pc related issues. Separate threads for each game makes a lot more sense.

Eventually, there'll just be a post saying "warning, pc spods, this uns got shitty fov, wait for a fix" and that'll be that, we won't have to spend a page or so debating it and explaining the concept every time.
or maybe developers will remember that the correct horizontal field of view for a pc game at 16:9 aspect ratio is 90-100 degrees and NOT 60 like it is on consoles, whichever comes first :D

#402 waddie

waddie
  • Members
  • 2795 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Eventually, there'll just be a post saying "warning, pc spods, this uns got shitty fov, wait for a fix" and that'll be that, we won't have to spend a page or so debating it and explaining the concept every time.

How about we pretend that's already the case?

#403 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15845 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

After being less than impressed with the demo, I really enjoyed the single-player. It really gives you the feeling of being a cyber-engineered badass, especially the moments when you get the heavy weapons and start carving through hapless goons like a Terminator. This was rental though, don;t know if my feelings would be different if I paid 40 quid for such a short campaign.

Now to try the co-op.

#404 bulletzen

bulletzen
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I can't play this any more. The bloom is too much. It's actually gave me a headache on two separate occasions that I played this. It has to be a bug surely? If it's a design choice then it's one of the stupidest I've seen in recent years.
Jesus Christ! -
Posted Image

#405 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

How about we pretend that's already the case?

Well I'm doing my bit - http://www.rllmukfor...99#entry8455899

All we need now is people like you to stop complaining and making it an issue and we're there :D

#406 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1792 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Bit of a curate's egg this. Love the look and the setting, but the gameplay between the shooting sections (which are enjoyably tactical and, dare I say it - even on normal - pretty tough at times) is so funnelled that it reminds me a lot of Mirror's Edge.

Feels like I'm near the end of the campaign, and if I can get it licked tomorrow I'll probably trade it in on Monday rather than bothering with the co-op stuff.

#407 The Shockmaster

The Shockmaster
  • Members
  • 1900 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

I thought it was great, but it could have been done with being a bit open world like The Darkness/ Riddick.

#408 DjSatansfur3h

DjSatansfur3h
  • Supporters
  • 6266 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

I give up, they've definently taken it off PSN or I'm blind. I was going to try it then see about buying it. Not anymore!

#409 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1792 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yeah, finished it. Definitely on the short side, but not ridiculously so. Honestly not sure I've got the energy to give the co-op a go.

The game is in a really rough state though. Had three or four hard lockups at various points, and a load of weird scripting glitches - things like the screen going black and audio muting instead of doing the "death" animation. The best one of all was a bit spoiler-ey :

Spoiler

#410 Windowlicker

Windowlicker
  • Members
  • 2428 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

I give up, they've definently taken it off PSN or I'm blind. I was going to try it then see about buying it. Not anymore!

It was a time-limited demo of the online co-op and it has gone from both XBox and PS stores. My brief time with the demo has made me wait for the inevitable £15 price tag it will fall to in a couple of weeks time.

#411 Doc NI

Doc NI
  • Members
  • 1750 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Coop is the saving grace of this game, been playing it quite a bit, and ignoring the campaign and loving it so far.

#412 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1792 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Tried to connect to co-op last night but it wasn't having it. Traded it back to Gamestation for £36, so not too upset about that.

Got me thinking / fantasising - an Avalanche-developed (thinking about the viewpoint of Renegade Ops) XBLA/PSN Syndicate game, much more in the style of the original games. I can dream.

#413 K

K
  • Members
  • 21294 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

The Edge review makes this sound like a cross between Mirror's Edge, FEAR 2, and Chronicles of Riddick, i.e. fuck-awesome. It's not going to be that good, obviously, but it sounds like a pretty good egg 'n chips shooter.

#414 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8767 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Rented this last night as a mate of mine was fancying coop and I didnt have any spare cash to buy. I must say, without having played the single player at all yet, the coop is quite wonderful indeed. The thing I love and which makes the game for me, is just how fantastic the guns are. The feel of them, the sound of them, the way they rip people apart. It just makes the act of firing the gun a joy. They are loud, they cause a lot of damage and you really feel like a badass mother fucker tearing people down. I don't really care about the mission objectives but just leading me through a level and letting me shoot them guns is great. Love the small submachine gun (UMK I think it's called), reminds me an awful lot of Killzones Helghast SMG.

Anyway if you're a bit of a lover of FPS guns and don't really mind lack of story in coop the games great fun. I'll try the single player in the next few days.

#415 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

a way for pc gamers to turn off the bloom effect via config files or whatever

http://donotargue.co...hanced-quality/

BLOOM FIX:

• press ctrl+alt+~
  • enter xr_effectmodels 0
ENHANCED QUALITY:
  • pressctrl+alt+~
  • enter xr_adaptivequalitymode 3
  • enter xr_fxaa 3
  • enter xr_postaa 3
  • enter xr_ssao 2
  • enter xr_ssaogain 0.5

#416 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12602 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Holy shit this is some stale and boring crap! I uninstalled the fucker right after I reaching the trainstation and had to endure more of the same mind numbing corridor combat that had proved no challenge whatsoever. It's just so stupid when all you have to do is press the win buttons and not feel engaged in any way. All I literally did during the Horde™ section was running up to baddies and killing them Ninjutsu. That's all I did and all I had to do in order to complete that part of the game. Oh yeah sure I had to squeeze the trigger every now and then but mostly it was just Ninjutsu and the good ol' chip inside yer head that makes you suicide folks left and right. Oh and what about the part before that with the 'puzzle' involving lfts eh? I wonder who came up with that piece of utter brilliance. So instead of just taking, you know a lift to the desired level, why not have you have to painstakingly navigate a shitty vertical corridor and move the lifts from a distance in order to open up new corridors as to not make sense in the slightest?

Also, the graphics suck because bloom.

I see no reason why this game should even at all exist.

#417 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Blimey, that doesn't sound good at all. Have you tried the supposedly saving grace that is the co-op?

#418 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24406 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I got this for my birthday (ie. didn't pay for it) and just started (and finished) the single-player over the weekend. It's pretty good assuming:

1) You don't mind that it has nothing at all to do with Syndicate apart from a level in the middle of the Atlantic and a level with a flame-thrower.
2) You don't mind that it is entirely linear.
3) You don't mind that it does nothing original at all.
4) You don't mind bloom.
5) You don't mind slightly rubbish games.
6) You don't mind putting up with that bit detailed above, which is very rubbish.

It's a fun distraction, basically. I'll probably not play it again, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Bit of a shame they didn't either create a fresh IP for it, or make it more like Syndicate though.

#419 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 18005 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

"It's good if you have really low standards" then?

#420 K

K
  • Members
  • 21294 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I thought this was a very strange game. On the one hand, it seemed incredibly glossy with some beautifully modelled environments, distinctive production design, name cast (Rosatio Dawson and Brian Cox as actors, Richard K Morgan on scriptwriting duties), and lots of nice little touches like the overload spike mechanic, which takes the active reloading mechanic from Gears of War and turns it into an offensive weapon. On the other, you get some incredibly small and shoddy locations, some egregiously repetitive sections, RPG elements that go nowhere, and piss-poor circle-strafe boss fights that go on forever.

It’s a weird mix of intense love and can’t-be-arsed. You get well-written, lovingly detailed background lore coming out of your ears, and then you get a level where you have to fight off rubbish jetbikes from the top of a monorail for an hour. The good ideas are interesting, but I really expected the final game to be a lot more polished, especially given that it’s by Starbreeze – I gather the game was developed in a real hurry, which explains the variable quality, but it seems really self-defeating to put out such a half-arsed product.

Presumably the idea was to do a cheap game quickly, get lots of press from middle-aged editors who remember the original, and then rake in some quick cash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users