The "Not Quite Hip-hop, Not Quite Dubstep" Thread

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8230 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

:) some great links in this thread, I'd not heard of anything listed here before so a real education and welcome change of musical direction to what I'd normally listen to, cheers!

#32 dustbindroid

dustbindroid
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Is it Wonky?
Is it Hip-Hop?
Is it Big Beat? :eyebrows:
Who cares, it's fucking sweet.

This track is free for download from the warp records site at the moment.
Didn't stop me buying Butter anyway....

#33 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

I can't have been the only one to have jumped the release date of FlyLo's Cosmogramma? Probably due it's own thread when it's released as he's totally hit it out of the park:

[yt]il78kyjCDkc[/yt]

[yt]gszBjJ-cXTI[/yt]

[yt]vFix7VLor88[/yt]

Works better as a full album than individual tracks, definite Alice Coltrane/Astral Jazz vibe throughout. I've just pre-ordered it from Bleep where they've got special edition 1st pressings available.

#34 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1770 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

Jury's out on it at the moment for me. Some stunning moments but I wonder if it's a little wilfully obscure in places. Doesn't seem to hang together as well as I'd like - certainly on the first pass. But then I'm being stupid and comparing it to 'Los Angeles' which is one of my favourite albums for years.

Will definitely be listening to it again a few more times at the very least. Hopefully it'll click before too long.

#35 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

I thought that at first but listening again over the weekend it completely clicked. It definitely needs to be listened to in one go.

#36 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14707 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Liking the sound of those new Flylo tracks, have placed an order for the album - cover art is awesome!

I also pre-ordered the Onra album this week, based on the strength of his new EP (thanks to esar for the heads up in the WWYS thread).

Here's the instrumental cuts from it.

[yt]zlbS0INiyTw[/yt]

[yt]cXIHEMvstew[/yt]

Perhaps Vim could edit the thread title a little and this could be the place for all that stuff that's not quite hip-hop or dubstep.

#37 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8829 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

Okay I've changed the thread title to something a little more broad, though it's impossible to get it right.

Anyway just thought I'd post a couple of tracks from a quality album, Radio by Exile. Apparently all tracks are made 100% with stuff recorded from the radio.
[yt]jT2G_QkkobU[/yt]
[yt]ZfWmtTVR_qQ[/yt]

#38 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Halp - Leek

Heard this on this Rustie mix, goes on a tad too long for the full 6 minutes but it's still fresh. Nice and squiggly.

Edit: It's definitely more on the ZigZag end of things rather than the stuff that's been posted more recently.

#39 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1770 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

Really didn't get on with that new Onra EP at all, I'm afraid.

Illum Sphere's stuff is magic some of the time and Samiyam's output can be special too. Check the formers EP on Fat City and the latters EP on Hyperdub for my picks of the litter.

It's well worth checking out most of the stuff on Fat City at the moment, they seem to have the golden touch for this end of things - certainly for my tastes. Their 'Producer 2' comp which has just come out holds some belters.

#40 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9739 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Halp - Leek

Heard this on this Rustie mix, goes on a tad too long for the full 6 minutes but it's still fresh. Nice and squiggly.

Edit: It's definitely more on the ZigZag end of things rather than the stuff that's been posted more recently.

That is AWESOME.

#41 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12117 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

Man, soundcloud is such a good service. Anyway, check this out:

Cosmogramma Fieldlines is a free augmented reality application to celebrate the imminent release of the new Flying Lotus album ‘Cosmogramma’. It can be controlled with your webcam or mouse.

#42 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

I can't get that to work - just loads up a blank black screen.

My CD copy of the album arrived today from Bleep :wub: You can stream it in full here too.

#43 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12117 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

It's not that impressive, really. You just throw a few balls around and they pluck strings. It could be something from Elektroplankton that was left on the cutting room floor.

#44 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12117 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

Sweet new 10" on All City, a split ep by Ras_G & the Afrikan Space Program and Samiyam. Direct link to the preview mp3 here.

#45 spanky debrest

spanky debrest
  • Members
  • 2016 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Cosmogramma really is something else, I love it.

Pleasantly surprised to find Miguel Atwood-Ferguson and Thundercat Bruner all over it though. Such brilliant musicians blessing everything they touch (I'm thinking of Shafiq Husayn's LP of last year).

I would definitely have passed this by if it wasn't for this thread and Ben in particular. Thanks.

#46 scribble

scribble
  • Members
  • 5697 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I want much more stuff like this in the world:

[yt]CXpkJq1Jx70[/yt]

#47 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14707 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

I got sent a promo for The Dream EP by Charles Trees. It's really quite good.

Hallucinatory bump-soul-tronics from Charles Trees courtesy of French imprint Musique Large, the first in a pan global series of producer EP's from around the planet called Tour De Table. Trees is a Michigan producer with a clear love of psyched up R&B and slo-mo funk styles, rubbed up with the kind of schizoid beat patterns resonant of fellow Musique Large peoples, Debruit and Fulgeance. Fresh.

Available now at Boomkat and Bleep, snippets on Soundcloud below.

http://soundcloud.co...ream-ep-snippet

#48 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14707 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

There's also a very nice new EP on Hotflush Records which is neither Hip-Hop or Dubstep.

HF025 - Sepalcure - Love Pressure EP
A1. Love Pressure
A2. Down
B1. Every Day Of My Life
B2. The Warning

#49 Zomby

Zomby
  • Members
  • 2303 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Love that EP abb, I went to see Joy Orbison play in York a few weekends back and all the music was very much along those lines.. it's so awesome but I never know where to find it :OMG:

#50 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12117 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Distributed by ST Holdings, it should be available in every shop that sells dubstep? It's down my local anyway. Great EP.

#51 nuskool

nuskool
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

That's some really nice stuff... feel free to recommend anything else along similar lines.

#52 solum

solum
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

There's also a very nice new EP on Hotflush Records which is neither Hip-Hop or Dubstep.

HF025 - Sepalcure - Love Pressure EP
A1. Love Pressure
A2. Down
B1. Every Day Of My Life
B2. The Warning

if you like this you miht like machinedrum (he's one of the two guys in sepalcure)

#53 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14707 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

The Roof Light EP on Styrax came to mind...

[yt]f9HFvyhhrBY[/yt]

#54 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8829 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

if you like this you miht like machinedrum (he's one of the two guys in sepalcure)

Wow didn't know Machine Drum was involved in that. Listening to it I can hear him though.

#55 solum

solum
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Wow didn't know Machine Drum was involved in that. Listening to it I can hear him though.

I didn't know either until this weekend. I'm dying to say this, even though it will surely show me up as a total dick:- machine drum mentioned it backstage at sonar on Saturday night after we played on the same stage at sonar, along with hudson mohawke and some other label mates, to 5000 people.

:P

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :o

#56 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12117 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

:lol: good skills man. Have you got a soundcloud or anything?

#57 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8829 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

I didn't know either until this weekend. I'm dying to say this, even though it will surely show me up as a total dick:- machine drum mentioned it backstage at sonar on Saturday night after we played on the same stage at sonar, along with hudson mohawke and some other label mates, to 5000 people.

:D

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :unsure:

Travis is alright, used to be a regular on IRC until he got more successful. I've done a few remixes for his stuff. It's good to see him branch out a bit, but you can defo feel his influence in there.

PS: go on namedrop, haha.

#58 scribble

scribble
  • Members
  • 5697 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

:)

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :(

I read some decent reviews of you guys- good job!

#59 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

FlyLo has announced some UK London tour dates, 3 very different looking shows:

Saturday 14 August
Flying Lotus presents BRAINFEEDER @ Hearn St Car Park, 9-5am

Flying Lotus
+ special guests to be announced

Tickets available now at Seetickets

Monday 16 August
Flying Lotus LIVE FILM SCORE: Harry Smith’s HEAVEN & EARTH MAGIC (1962) @ Tate Modern Starr Auditorium

Tickets on sale from 12pm Wednesday 23rd June at https://tickets.tate.org.uk
Wednesday 18 August
Flying Lotus presents INFINITY @ Institute of Contemporary Arts

Featuring contributors and players from Cosmogramma including:
Thundercat
Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
Ravi Coltrane
Rebekah Raff
… and more

Tickets on sale from 12pm Wednesday 23rd June at http://ica.org.uk/

What's this Hearn St. Car Park all about?

#60 scribble

scribble
  • Members
  • 5697 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

What's this Hearn St. Car Park all about?

Its in Shoreditch.. I think a few of the RBMA gigs were there. Yeah. That one has me interested- 9 till 5 is a bit of an endurance test, though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users