Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vimster

The "Not Quite Hip-hop, Not Quite Dubstep" Thread

97 posts in this topic

:) some great links in this thread, I'd not heard of anything listed here before so a real education and welcome change of musical direction to what I'd normally listen to, cheers!

Is it Wonky?

Is it Hip-Hop?

Is it Big Beat? :eyebrows:

Who cares, it's fucking sweet.

This track is free for download from the warp records site at the moment.

Didn't stop me buying Butter anyway....

I can't have been the only one to have jumped the release date of FlyLo's Cosmogramma? Probably due it's own thread when it's released as he's totally hit it out of the park:

[yt]il78kyjCDkc[/yt]

[yt]gszBjJ-cXTI[/yt]

[yt]vFix7VLor88[/yt]

Works better as a full album than individual tracks, definite Alice Coltrane/Astral Jazz vibe throughout. I've just pre-ordered it from Bleep where they've got special edition 1st pressings available.

Jury's out on it at the moment for me. Some stunning moments but I wonder if it's a little wilfully obscure in places. Doesn't seem to hang together as well as I'd like - certainly on the first pass. But then I'm being stupid and comparing it to 'Los Angeles' which is one of my favourite albums for years.

Will definitely be listening to it again a few more times at the very least. Hopefully it'll click before too long.

I thought that at first but listening again over the weekend it completely clicked. It definitely needs to be listened to in one go.

Liking the sound of those new Flylo tracks, have placed an order for the album - cover art is awesome!

I also pre-ordered the Onra album this week, based on the strength of his new EP (thanks to esar for the heads up in the WWYS thread).

Here's the instrumental cuts from it.

[yt]zlbS0INiyTw[/yt]

[yt]cXIHEMvstew[/yt]

Perhaps Vim could edit the thread title a little and this could be the place for all that stuff that's not quite hip-hop or dubstep.

Okay I've changed the thread title to something a little more broad, though it's impossible to get it right.

Anyway just thought I'd post a couple of tracks from a quality album, Radio by Exile. Apparently all tracks are made 100% with stuff recorded from the radio.

[yt]jT2G_QkkobU[/yt]

[yt]ZfWmtTVR_qQ[/yt]

Halp - Leek

Heard this on this Rustie mix, goes on a tad too long for the full 6 minutes but it's still fresh. Nice and squiggly.

Edit: It's definitely more on the ZigZag end of things rather than the stuff that's been posted more recently.

Really didn't get on with that new Onra EP at all, I'm afraid.

Illum Sphere's stuff is magic some of the time and Samiyam's output can be special too. Check the formers EP on Fat City and the latters EP on Hyperdub for my picks of the litter.

It's well worth checking out most of the stuff on Fat City at the moment, they seem to have the golden touch for this end of things - certainly for my tastes. Their 'Producer 2' comp which has just come out holds some belters.

Halp - Leek

Heard this on this Rustie mix, goes on a tad too long for the full 6 minutes but it's still fresh. Nice and squiggly.

Edit: It's definitely more on the ZigZag end of things rather than the stuff that's been posted more recently.

That is AWESOME.

Man, soundcloud is such a good service. Anyway, check this out:

Cosmogramma Fieldlines is a free augmented reality application to celebrate the imminent release of the new Flying Lotus album ‘Cosmogramma’. It can be controlled with your webcam or mouse.

I can't get that to work - just loads up a blank black screen.

My CD copy of the album arrived today from Bleep :wub: You can stream it in full here too.

It's not that impressive, really. You just throw a few balls around and they pluck strings. It could be something from Elektroplankton that was left on the cutting room floor.

Cosmogramma really is something else, I love it.

Pleasantly surprised to find Miguel Atwood-Ferguson and Thundercat Bruner all over it though. Such brilliant musicians blessing everything they touch (I'm thinking of Shafiq Husayn's LP of last year).

I would definitely have passed this by if it wasn't for this thread and Ben in particular. Thanks.

I want much more stuff like this in the world:

[yt]CXpkJq1Jx70[/yt]

I got sent a promo for The Dream EP by Charles Trees. It's really quite good.

Hallucinatory bump-soul-tronics from Charles Trees courtesy of French imprint Musique Large, the first in a pan global series of producer EP's from around the planet called Tour De Table. Trees is a Michigan producer with a clear love of psyched up R&B and slo-mo funk styles, rubbed up with the kind of schizoid beat patterns resonant of fellow Musique Large peoples, Debruit and Fulgeance. Fresh.

Available now at Boomkat and Bleep, snippets on Soundcloud below.

http://soundcloud.com/musiquelarge/charles...ream-ep-snippet

There's also a very nice new EP on Hotflush Records which is neither Hip-Hop or Dubstep.

HF025 - Sepalcure - Love Pressure EP

A1. Love Pressure

A2. Down

B1. Every Day Of My Life

B2. The Warning

Love that EP abb, I went to see Joy Orbison play in York a few weekends back and all the music was very much along those lines.. it's so awesome but I never know where to find it :omg:

Distributed by ST Holdings, it should be available in every shop that sells dubstep? It's down my local anyway. Great EP.

That's some really nice stuff... feel free to recommend anything else along similar lines.

There's also a very nice new EP on Hotflush Records which is neither Hip-Hop or Dubstep.

HF025 - Sepalcure - Love Pressure EP

A1. Love Pressure

A2. Down

B1. Every Day Of My Life

B2. The Warning

if you like this you miht like machinedrum (he's one of the two guys in sepalcure)

if you like this you miht like machinedrum (he's one of the two guys in sepalcure)

Wow didn't know Machine Drum was involved in that. Listening to it I can hear him though.

Wow didn't know Machine Drum was involved in that. Listening to it I can hear him though.

I didn't know either until this weekend. I'm dying to say this, even though it will surely show me up as a total dick:- machine drum mentioned it backstage at sonar on Saturday night after we played on the same stage at sonar, along with hudson mohawke and some other label mates, to 5000 people.

:P

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :o

I didn't know either until this weekend. I'm dying to say this, even though it will surely show me up as a total dick:- machine drum mentioned it backstage at sonar on Saturday night after we played on the same stage at sonar, along with hudson mohawke and some other label mates, to 5000 people.

:D

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :unsure:

Travis is alright, used to be a regular on IRC until he got more successful. I've done a few remixes for his stuff. It's good to see him branch out a bit, but you can defo feel his influence in there.

PS: go on namedrop, haha.

:)

yass!

sorry, I just don't think I'll get the chance to say something like that very often :(

I read some decent reviews of you guys- good job!

FlyLo has announced some UK London tour dates, 3 very different looking shows:

Saturday 14 August

Flying Lotus presents BRAINFEEDER @ Hearn St Car Park, 9-5am

Flying Lotus

+ special guests to be announced

Tickets available now at Seetickets

Monday 16 August

Flying Lotus LIVE FILM SCORE: Harry Smith’s HEAVEN & EARTH MAGIC (1962) @ Tate Modern Starr Auditorium

Tickets on sale from 12pm Wednesday 23rd June at https://tickets.tate.org.uk

Wednesday 18 August

Flying Lotus presents INFINITY @ Institute of Contemporary Arts

Featuring contributors and players from Cosmogramma including:

Thundercat

Miguel Atwood-Ferguson

Ravi Coltrane

Rebekah Raff

… and more

Tickets on sale from 12pm Wednesday 23rd June at http://ica.org.uk/

What's this Hearn St. Car Park all about?

What's this Hearn St. Car Park all about?

Its in Shoreditch.. I think a few of the RBMA gigs were there. Yeah. That one has me interested- 9 till 5 is a bit of an endurance test, though!