Cheese it!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 Rebs

Rebs
  • Members
  • 3648 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I like ripe runny cheese and lots of kinds of lovely blue cheese, if they're near to moving about on their own. On the 'easy to get hold of list' St Agur is really nice. Dolcelatte and dolcelatte torte are fab. I love all goats cheeses and goats butter.
For a hard cheese I really love a mature ghouda - all sweet and nutty - and parmesan as proper cheese on a biscuit is lovely too.

Digestives are the bees knees for cheese and I've found a rich tea biscuit with cream cheese on is a mini cheescake - yum.

I used to work on a cheese stall so got to know...er...eat quite a lot.

#32 Lucky

Lucky
  • Members
  • 3734 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

Stilton, Smoked Cheese, Port Salut & a nice bit of Cheddar.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Accompanied by one (or two) of these........Posted Image

#33 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 4710 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

My girlfriend introduced me to the joys of Caboc a couple of weeks ago.

Posted Image

Cream cheese rolled in toasted pinhead oatmeal. Fantastic stuff. Scotland's oldest cheese allegedly. It's fantastic. They do one with pepper mixed in with the oatmeal too. Spicy.

#34 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19579 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Woah woah woah! Neals Yard sell Staffordshire Oatckaes?! Oh my goodness.
I've got to go and stock up. I wonder if they're massively overpriced.

#35 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39705 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

£1 for 8

#36 revlob

revlob

Rllmuk President

• Tech Team
  • 11836 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

So I got back from Paris yesterday, and while I was there I picked up some cheese from a fromagerie in Montparnasse.

Posted Image

It's a goat cheese called Pouligny St Pierre. What should I do with it? I mean, I'd quite like to just nibble it with a glass of wine but I was wondering if it would be interesting to cook with?

#37 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39705 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

That's one scary looking rind!

What about a red onion and Goat's Cheese salad? Just reduce down some red onions with thyme, red wine, bit of sugar, until it's well caramelised, and toss it with some nice leaves and crumble in the cheese.

#38 Dork Knight

Dork Knight
  • Members
  • 13693 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

I really like cheese, well, let me rephrase that - I really enjoy a limited area of certain cheeses.

Fowlers Extra Extra Mature is bloody lovely, drools, need to get me some..... rar.

Has anyone tried Stinking Bishop?......... Dear God, you would know if you've tried that beast.

#39 Dr Slotter

Dr Slotter
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

For a hard cheese I really love a mature ghouda - all sweet and nutty.

I tried some of that the other day and the one I had was a bit hardcore for my taste :D 'Normal' Dutch Gouda is probably my favourite cheese, closely followed by Applewood Smoked Cheddar. The GF swears by Garlic Yarg.

#40 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 28075 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

I'm gonna make some halloumi in my ass tonight.

#41 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27798 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Woah woah woah! Neals Yard sell Staffordshire Oatckaes?! Oh my goodness.
I've got to go and stock up. I wonder if they're massively overpriced.

I always have a big oatcake buy up whenever I'm in Crewe, you should have said I'd have got you some

As for cheese, I do enjoy a nice bit of Applewood, Bavarian smoked, gruyere, gouda and brie. You can't really go wrong with Boursin though, as stated before.

When I lived with my Dad we always used to have a cheese course after dinner. Amazing

#42 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27798 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

I wish you could get proper nacho cheese over here in the supermarket

#43 will

will
  • Members
  • 5871 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

I find that bavarian smoked cheese to be pretty horrible. I like smokey things but it just seems like cheap processed cheese with added smoke flavour. The applewood stuff is a bit better.

I think a nice bit of lancashire is an underrated cheese. Great on cheese on toast too.

#44 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27798 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

You can't go wrong with a nice Emmental actually

#45 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39705 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

Went to a cheese shop in Whitstable on Saturday:

http://www.thecheesebox.co.uk/

Bought some gorgeous cheese called Oxford Isis. It's a runny, ripe cheese, a real stinker. But it was delightfully sweet (that'll be the Honey Mead) and...well, cheesey. Totally addictive.

Posted Image

That photo is part of a little tour on Channel 4's website:

http://www.channel4....-10-29_p_1.html

#46 revlob

revlob

Rllmuk President

• Tech Team
  • 11836 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

So I got back from Paris yesterday, and while I was there I picked up some cheese from a fromagerie in Montparnasse.

Posted Image

It's a goat cheese called Pouligny St Pierre. What should I do with it? I mean, I'd quite like to just nibble it with a glass of wine but I was wondering if it would be interesting to cook with?

I took a cheeseboard to my parents' house for dinner a week or so ago, along with the above and some Taleggio I'd picked up from a wandering Italian market that had stopped in town. Lovely stuff.

I'm also now a rind-eater. Yum!

#47 bobontheway

bobontheway
  • Members
  • 3747 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

My girlfriend introduced me to the joys of Caboc a couple of weeks ago.

Posted Image

Cream cheese rolled in toasted pinhead oatmeal. Fantastic stuff. Scotland's oldest cheese allegedly. It's fantastic. They do one with pepper mixed in with the oatmeal too. Spicy.

That looks and sound like my idea of cheese heaven. I must locate this!

#48 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 15990 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

Caboc is bloody lovely.

I'm a big fan of cheddar of various types, it must be said. Goes well with oatcakes. Also like Port Salut which I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread. I've never really been a fan of blue cheese but other than that I'll eat pretty much any cheese. It's one of those foodstuffs I couldn't live without.

#49 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39705 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Just came back from Neal's Yard as we've got guests this weekend and I wanted a good cheeseboard.

I was hoping that they'd have the Oxford Isis I posted about, but the closest they could do was some Stinking Bishop so I got some of that gorgeous oozing cheese. I could smell it as I was queuing in M&S, heh.

I got a big lump of Keen's cheddar, then tried a load of Blue Cheeses. In the end, guess what I liked best? Yep, good old Stilton. So I got some of that.

Finally I bought a mystery Goat's Cheese with a scary looking ash rind. I can't remember what it was called and can't find the receipt. Anyway, it's a lovely light and fresh tasting cheese, which should off-set the stronger stuff I bought.

All I need now are some Carr's biscuits and some grapes and we're all set. :)

#50 Ravern

Ravern
  • Members
  • 8698 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

I think as your every day cheese you can't beat a classic tomme. Perfect for aligot (nom nom nom) or just munching with some good fresh baguette and some red wine.

I think that perhaps, in general, French cheeses are best, if only for what comes inevitably with them.

#51 sprite

sprite
  • Members
  • 7473 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

In cheddar terms, my favourite normal supermarkety type is definitely Collier's. It's in a black packet. It's got a very distinct flavour, but it's not too overpowering. Great for a nibble or with anything really.

I live near a nice farm shop too, so when I visit I get some of their cheeses... one of my favourites is "Green Thunder" which is in a green coating and the cheese itself is a garlic/herb combination :unsure:

#52 spacedinvader

spacedinvader
  • Members
  • 2614 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

Oh yeah..Comté. How much must those huge truckles be worth?

#53 snowbind

snowbind
  • Supporters
  • 28454 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

I fucking love cheese, if my body could take it I would have it on everything.

#54 TheShend

TheShend
  • Members
  • 4868 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

I bought to large pieces of Brie through a BOGOF offer in Morrisons. I'm looking at them and thinking, what am I going to do with the pair of you then?

Any recipes?

#55 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6309 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

Cut brie with knife. Eat?

Possibly on toast?

#56 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 28075 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

Goes well in sandwiches with:

Bacon

Avocado

Tomato

Cranberries

Grapes

NICE!

#57 Craster

Craster
  • Supporters
  • 4434 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thinly roll out some puff pastry. Cut out circles with a pastry cutter. Spread a little wholegrain mustard on the circles. Put a layer of sliced tomatoes on top, top with sliced brie and a little S&P, then bake for about 15 minutes.

#58 sprite

sprite
  • Members
  • 7473 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Rediscovered my love of Canadian cheddar :lol:

#59 bastion

bastion
  • Members
  • 26256 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

I bought to large pieces of Brie through a BOGOF offer in Morrisons. I'm looking at them and thinking, what am I going to do with the pair of you then?

Any recipes?

Fried bread and grapes.

#60 Lucky

Lucky
  • Members
  • 3734 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Got some smoked cheddar with paprika (down the edge) the other day.
Superb with a bottle of Beaujolais.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users