Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

• Please log in to reply
2465 replies to this topic

#31 Lyrical Donut

Lyrical Donut
  • Members
  • 3528 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I know, I'm just torn between a Saturn one and that Madcatz one. Wish I could try before I buy.

I'd go for the Saturn pad now. They're cheaper and they're probably better built too. I've played plenty of HD Remix on the PS3 with mine with no problems at all.

#32 Rockboy

Rockboy
  • Supporters
  • 2096 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

It's rubbish that they couldn't make it work acceptably with the 360 controller. I realise Microsoft are more to blame here, but still.

I imagine most reviews don't even mention it. For me, 65 is just too much. *Cue comment about SNES version costing 70*

The pads were on Amazon for 25 originally, and although they aren't available at the moment it may be worth signing up to be notified when the come back in stock. Especially as it looks like Play had a bigger allocation than they thought they would.

If you can get the game for 28 and the pad for 25, then that's 53 which is a bit more bearable.

#33 Gamst

Gamst
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

ooh! I just got the first email from shopto about the stick!

#34 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66203 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Keep us posted!

#35 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10586 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

ooh! I just got the first email from shopto about the stick!

Same ere.

#36 Gamst

Gamst
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Got the 2nd email too, so I have just got to hope that the transaction goes through ok. Got an email saying the game has been despatched, but nothing has gone from the bank yet!

#37 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 30126 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Oh FFS. I emailed Shopto asking if I topped up my account if it would go towards the order and they replied yes, I topped up the account with the money needed for the stick and I just got an email saying the payment for the stick has failed and on the 3rd attempt of payment it will be cancelled even though I have the full amount sitting there in my shopto account. JESUS SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR

#38 Chooch

Chooch
  • Members
  • 8385 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

I have one of the SE sticks coming to me - what do I need purchase to make it ultra hi-spec?!

#39 OnionNon

OnionNon
  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

That's shocking, sorry man :angry:

If you can get your credit back or can't get ShopTo to honour the order, Play seem to have some TEs in stock now.

#40 Dr Seedyman

Dr Seedyman
  • Members
  • 4737 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

I have a bit of a fetish for arcade sticks. And Guitar Hero Guitars!

My stick collection consists of:

1X PS2 Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick.

2 X PS2 Hori VF4Evo Sticks (1xBlue 1xRed)

1 x GC Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick.

1 x Hori 360 EX2

1 X Hori PS3 Fight Stick

2 x DC Arcade Sticks.

8 All together! Im hoping to add one of these bad mother fuckers to my collection.

http://www.maxconsol..._img/hohori.jpg

Possibly gonna sell a few of my last gen ones to part fund it.

#41 Gamst

Gamst
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Oh FFS. I emailed Shopto asking if I topped up my account if it would go towards the order and they replied yes, I topped up the account with the money needed for the stick and I just got an email saying the payment for the stick has failed and on the 3rd attempt of payment it will be cancelled even though I have the full amount sitting there in my shopto account. JESUS SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR

Call them first thing, the order is supposed to come off your credit first, as you'd have imagined. They won't be sending anything till tomorrow, so if you call them nice and early it'll be sorted I'm sure. Otherwise, the Cool Stick Club, will be round to their houses.......

#42 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

I have one of the SE sticks coming to me - what do I need purchase to make it ultra hi-spec?!

For buttons Sanwa OBSF30's. For a stick, usually some form of Sanwa JLF (there are several variations all with crazy part numbers). You could also use Seimitsu parts, but sanwa are generally more popular (and seimitsu are really a matterof taste - if unsure buy Sanwa's). I also suggest an octagonal gate for the stick (diagonals will be much better)

#43 FurryGreenMonster

FurryGreenMonster
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

I also suggest an octagonal gate for the stick (diagonals will be much better)

I find I hit my diagonals better with a square gate. I prefer the slight 'jarring' you get when you hit them.

#44 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

To each his own. However given the small cost, no reason not to try both!

#45 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

My dream is for a 3rd party pad with a 6 face button layout, two shoulder buttons, and the microswtiched thumb stick from the NeoGeo Pocket Color. Pulling of Zangeif's super in SNK Vs Capcom with that gloriously clicky thumb stick was easy.

Admission time - I've never managed to do a 2 x 360 super with a d-pad. Sticks and NGPC, yeah. Every other d-pad every, nup.

#46 geldra

geldra
  • Members
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

I'd recommend using it for a week or two first, it may be just fine the way it is?

#47 Dr Seedyman

Dr Seedyman
  • Members
  • 4737 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

I'd recommend using it for a week or two first, it may be just fine the way it is?

This is some good logic!

How are you guys who are buying the standard stick, with plans to upgrade all parts on day one ever going to be able to gague how much of an improvment your new parts give if your not familiar with how it plays in standard form?

#48 OnionNon

OnionNon
  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

Silly question, and I'm sure the answer will be no, but is there some kind of magic converter box that will let you use a PS3 TE on a 360?

#49 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20279 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

I don't have enough stick experience to justify getting one, but if I'm going to be using a pad, it has to do two things that have held me back in the past:

- Make rotational moves - quarter/half/full circles - easier to pull off. When playing 3S on Xbox and 360 BC, I found the D-pad to be too finicky and stiff to register such moves, and whilst I could opt for the analogue stick (which pulls off such moves with ease) it's hopeless for "tap" manoeuvres such as Ibuki's dash in 3S, so ideally I need something that can do both. Word is that 1) SF4 offers more leeway in it's move interpretation and 2) the FightPad D-pad isn't as sticky as standard Xbox D-pads, so I'm hoping that it won't be such a nightmare.

- Have more than four face buttons. Ever tried performing a Raging Demon with the 360 controller? I did, and it was more than a bit awkward after I'd been so use to the six-button configuration of the burger pad. I'll admit that with sticks you have the advantage of more than one finger covering the buttons, but I'd rather that than have to think about shoulder buttons as well. And again, the FightPad delivers here, with a standard six-button configuration, so hopefully my hand cramps won't be so bad.

#50 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66203 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

I don't have enough stick experience to justify getting one

But you never get the experience if you don't get one, surely? Anyway, if you play fighting games or other digitally controlled arcade games on the 360 it's pretty much a no brainer to get one. I don't use mine that often, but I'm glad it's there when I need it because it really improves those games a lot. More control, less cursing.

And justify it? If you don't get one of those snazzy ubersticks but a regular Joe Hori Fighting Stick, it's about the same cash you'd pay for a game. Surely a worthy investment if you get hours of fun out of it over the time that you own it? It sits comfortably in your lap and feels great.

#51 geldra

geldra
  • Members
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Silly question, and I'm sure the answer will be no, but is there some kind of magic converter box that will let you use a PS3 TE on a 360?

Not sure but from random bits and bobs that I've read it'd be easier to run the 360 ver through to the PS3. Could be wrong though.

edit: having said that I'm sure there must be a way to hack a controller pad from a 360 and pop it into the TE as there's rucks of space and have it use the same wiring as the TE's innards so it works on both machines. No idea how though but if the VFHG Stick is now playable on the 360* then there must be a way.

*why did I sell mine again? :angry:

#52 Rockboy

Rockboy
  • Supporters
  • 2096 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

There's an article on Gamespot comparing the Mad Catz and Hori sticks link. They don't review the pads but do have this to say about them which sounds promising:

The first-party gamepads from Microsoft and Sony may not be ideal for Street Fighter IV, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to find a good gamepad once the game comes out. In addition to its two new arcade sticks, Mad Catz is coming out with a Street Fighter IV FightPad that just might be the ultimate gamepad for fighting game fans. The FightPad resembles the classic Sega Saturn controller with a healthy-sized D pad and a full six-button set on the front face. The D pad on the controller we tested felt responsive and accurate. We pulled off 16 spinning pile-drivers in a row without a problem after spending just a few minutes with the pad.

Just praying now that my Chun Li pad and game both turn up in time for the weekend.... :angry:

#53 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

This is some good logic!

How are you guys who are buying the standard stick, with plans to upgrade all parts on day one ever going to be able to gague how much of an improvment your new parts give if your not familiar with how it plays in standard form?

Can't speak for "stick noobs" planning on day1 upgrades, but those of us used to "proper" parts know that mad Catz (or even Hori) can't compete with Sanwa or Seimitsu. Sanwa buttons in particular are ridiculously sensitive (you can trigger them by pretty much resting your fingertip on them andNot even applying force). The difference will be clear simply due to
Improved timing - something of massive benefit

Still, I encourage all would be modders to try both sets of parts

#54 geldra

geldra
  • Members
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

I'm not sure I fully agree Dandy, my game doesn't change much going from playing HDR on my EX2 to playing SSF2X on the arcade. Sure you can tell the difference but I wouldn't say the EX2 hampers your game.

That could of course be because I'm dogshit.

And who is to say the sticks and buttons in the standard stick won't be a good rip off of the sanwas? (Hmmm the srk forums perhaps, :angry:)

Oh well.

#55 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Not an entierly fair comparison that, they aren't the same game (close, but I wager timings etc are different). You really need to compare the two on the same game and platform. Do you know what parts are in your cab?

As for mad cats making a sanwa stick competitor? Chances aren't good.

#56 geldra

geldra
  • Members
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Wuh? Street Fighter HD Remix isn't the same game as Super Street Fighter 2X?

I'm pretty sure any differences will be fairly minor. I still think that people should be willing to give the Standard components a try out first. But, buy new stuff if you like.

Anyway, I can't be chewed to argue the toss, I'm going to hibernate until Friday.

edit: Sanwa JLFs and OBSFsssss.

#57 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

Wuh? Street Fighter HD Remix isn't the same game as Super Street Fighter 2 X?

edit: Sanwa JLFs and OBSFsssss.

Well no, ones been fucked about with. You can't be suggesting a heavily altered remake is the same as the cpsii original

#58 geldra

geldra
  • Members
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

I can say that pulling of sonic booms, hadokens, dragon punches (supers can still get bent though :angry:) blah blah blah is not a million times easier on the Sanwa components as the Hori EX2 ones.

edit: i think we're moving into the realms of hi-fi audio lead tech arguments here which I'd rather not. I reckon 99% of people won't really notice the difference.

#59 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26517 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

is the sfiv joypad for the 360 compatable with the pc? Id like a nice proper joypad with a big dpad for emulators and still be able to use for sfiv.

#60 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'll just put I down to you then :angry: in all seriousness I'm surprised at your own experience , but I personally wouldn't want to trust the mad cats buttns to let me get the first hit against somene with the sanwa's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users