Coffee

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#31 Mufasa

Mufasa
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Don't store your coffee in the fridge or freezer - really bad idea. Dark cool cupboard in a well sealed container will do.

Why not in the fridge please? Mine at home is a little colder than normal fridges and it keeps it much fresher than in a cupboard, and as long as it's in an airtight container won't pick up other smells.

The only problem is condensation, which I only have trouble with at uni. (I think the fridge is a little warmer there).

EDIT: I'm no expert, so if there is any concrete advice saying not to put coffee in the fridge i'll happily be persuaded to change :angry:

#32 petrolgirls

petrolgirls
  • Members
  • 7600 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

First google result:

http://www.coffeeam....tgrandbrco.html

There's plenty others.

#33 Mufasa

Mufasa
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Well, fair enough :angry:

#34 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Did you get the Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Bourbon 2008-2009 Crop? It's just so nice and full bodied but with no bitterness at all :angry:

Yep. The first brew was just exceptional. The smell on it's own ^_^
I'm literally fighting the urge to do another as I'm wired enough!!

#35 Mortis

Mortis
  • Supporters
  • 5091 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

Yep. The first brew was just exceptional. The smell on it's own :angry:
I'm literally fighting the urge to do another as I'm wired enough!!

It's a killer for that - you end up drinking loads 'cos it's so nice and then can't sleep till 4am ^_^

#36 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

It's a killer for that - you end up drinking loads 'cos it's so nice and then can't sleep till 4am :wub:

LOL!!! Sounds quite a nice way to spend an evening ;)

I'm half considering ordering some green beans from hasbean - anyone got any tips/stories or advice on home roasting or, indeed, grinding?

#37 Ravern

Ravern
  • Members
  • 8706 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

you'll only get a small amount of crema with a bialetti...

my dad insists on using boiling water in the base, but i find this produces less of a crema... amount of water shouldn't make too much of a difference (unless it's too much - i fill it so the water just covers the safety valve inside the base).

essentially, you're not going to get a nice full crema like a full pressurised machine with a bialetti i'm afraid...

Using boiling water in the base?! Surely that creates real problems with infusion as you don't have the correct amount of time with the pressure gradually forcing the water through? Doesn't he get really weak coffee?

#38 Simmy

Simmy
  • Supporters
  • 15507 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

This may sound ridiculous but being someone who's survived on instant coffee for years... What do I need to make a proper coffee? I'd go with the breakfast bomb mentioned earlier, but what machines do I need to make it properly etc?

#39 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

By cup of coffee, what are you meaning man? I've got two on the go - my hob top Bialatti is my 'relaxing' cup of the good stuff. I would say less intense than my espresso but every time I use it, I feel like a king :( Cost 20 for a 12 cup (refers to espresso size cup). That with some ground coffee and you're good to go.

My espresso machine I use if I need a jolt or am in a rush. I also use it as a base if I'm making a flask. Not sure how much it was as it was a present.

Excuse the to the point post but on my iPhone!

#40 Simmy

Simmy
  • Supporters
  • 15507 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

That's ok Weightgain... I've ordered a "Morphy Richards 47070 Filter Coffee Maker" and some coffee stuff from that site which says it's for filtered coffee makers which sounds about right!

How many cups do you get from one order from that Hasbean site?

#41 petrolgirls

petrolgirls
  • Members
  • 7600 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Using boiling water in the base?! Surely that creates real problems with infusion as you don't have the correct amount of time with the pressure gradually forcing the water through? Doesn't he get really weak coffee?

It's a bit of a balancing act. If your water is cold you have to heat for much longer which tends to overheat the ground coffee resulting in a bitter taste. Use freshly boiled water and it goes through too quickly. I tend to boil the kettle ten minutes or so before I intend to make coffee which seems to do the trick for me.

#42 dunkle

dunkle
  • Supporters
  • 1797 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Well, no. The same amount of water is forced through the same amount of coffee. I mean, think about the industrial pressurised machines. They bang the water through in c.16 seconds. And they use water at 80 degrees.

So I'd say, boil kettle, put in cold bialetti (which will knock a fair whack off the temperature), put onto gas hob and by the time the thing's hit 100 and the thing boils again, evaporates and 'pushes through the coffee barrier' and you're going to get plenty strong enough coffee.

And i second petrolgirls - cold water just makes it all a bit bitter for me...which is why i try and do it at home rather than using nero/sb/costa/etc...

#43 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

That's ok Weightgain... I've ordered a "Morphy Richards 47070 Filter Coffee Maker" and some coffee stuff from that site which says it's for filtered coffee makers which sounds about right!

cool, hope it serves you well!!!!

The bag I got was 250g. My previous starbucks Xmas blend lasted me 3 (or just under)weeks of nearly daily use iirc. I may be wrong about that tho!!! It seems to work out better value if you get the 2kg of unroasted beans for 15 on the hasbeen site but I've never roasted beans before.....

#44 Rhi

Rhi
  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

We got this little bad boy for Christmas; http://tinyurl.com/8lsuru. Unfortunately, I am a total addict, I think it started when worked really long hours at Gap as a manager, and I've still got the addiction now!
The machine we got is fantastic as it grinds coffee beans and then puts them into the filter; it also has a programmable timer so that you can set it to start brewing in the morning just before you get up.
The only problem we're having at the moment is finding somewhere with a large selection of coffee beans on sale.

#45 Ravern

Ravern
  • Members
  • 8706 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Well, no. The same amount of water is forced through the same amount of coffee. I mean, think about the industrial pressurised machines. They bang the water through in c.16 seconds. And they use water at 80 degrees.

So I'd say, boil kettle, put in cold bialetti (which will knock a fair whack off the temperature), put onto gas hob and by the time the thing's hit 100 and the thing boils again, evaporates and 'pushes through the coffee barrier' and you're going to get plenty strong enough coffee.

And i second petrolgirls - cold water just makes it all a bit bitter for me...which is why i try and do it at home rather than using nero/sb/costa/etc...

Ah ok, I was thinking it would be weak by experience and was trying to put a reason to it. I'll give it another go.

It's surely worse to use already boiled water though, rather than fresh? De-oxygenated?

#46 dunkle

dunkle
  • Supporters
  • 1797 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

It's surely worse to use already boiled water though, rather than fresh? De-oxygenated?

you may be right about it being de-oxygenated - i'm not sure. i can't comment on the effect that has on the coffee though; chemistry wasn't my strong point :unsure:

#47 dunkle

dunkle
  • Supporters
  • 1797 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

as an aside, my grandma used to make very different coffee to what we're used to now. ground coffee, mixed with ground chicory, with cold water added, boiled up in a large saucepan and essentially just topped up with more water and more chicory as it ran low, but always just let to cool and then re-heat between meals (typically we only drank this stuff after our meal).

coffee afficionado's would throw their beans out of the grinder at this sort of thing, but it's what i grew up on! yum, yum, YUM*

*and all the better with some grappa in :unsure:

#48 petrolgirls

petrolgirls
  • Members
  • 7600 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

I wouldn't have said so, no. You're only reheating the water slightly.

#49 Mortis

Mortis
  • Supporters
  • 5091 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

A 250g bag of beans from them usually lasts 2 of us about a week and that's probably drinking 2-3 mugs a day myself - what coffee did you order?

#50 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6087 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, another vote for Nero from the chains - but the best coffee often comes from an indie; problem is, you have to try a bunch out to find the right one.

And with the chains you can get a muppet working barista, and end up with a crocked drink. Not so variable if you take it espresso, but if you want a milky one it's always a gamble.

If there's no Nero, I quite like a Pret latte with an extra shot, but their prices are a bit steep.

And starbucks? *Shudders*.

#51 Simmy

Simmy
  • Supporters
  • 15507 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

A 250g bag of beans from them usually lasts 2 of us about a week and that's probably drinking 2-3 mugs a day myself - what coffee did you order?

Ordered the Breakfast Bomb and "Brazil Pre-Blended Espresso Perfetio 2008-2009 Crop".

Hope it's nice! :)

#52 Simmy

Simmy
  • Supporters
  • 15507 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Coffee Machine should be arriving today.

It can make up to 12 cups, but I only want to make 1 or two at a time - How do I know how much coffee + water to put in to make x amount of cups?

#53 dunkle

dunkle
  • Supporters
  • 1797 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

It can make up to 12 cups, but I only want to make 1 or two at a time - How do I know how much coffee + water to put in to make x amount of cups?

for the water, don't you just measure it in terms of cups. ie. you want two cups, you put two cups of water in? i'd imagine very little's gonna evaporate, etc.

for the coffee, it depends how strong you want it. for ground coffee, i usually use a well-heaped dessert spoon per person, but it's probably gonna be one of those things that you do by trial and error and tweak over time.

#54 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Aye. More trial and less error tho!!

#55 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10186 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Back to the Bialetti chat if I may...the important thing is a good strong flame. It changes everything.

I've got a Cafetiere, Gagg and owned n used just about everything in-between but I'll take my 15 quid Bia 2 cup above em all. Really, really couldn't live without it.

#56 Duncan

Duncan
  • Members
  • 31053 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

You fool!

Why didn't you just get a 3 cup one?

#57 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bialetti mix. I'm trying a new one out today. Half filled the coffee holder and filled the water holder up. I'm letting that warm slighlty on my hob top (Not with a flame, just allowing the water to move to room temp) and when I go home will fire the hob up and let it brew.

Will report back.

My regular technique is half fill the coffee holder, put the smallest hob on full power and that usually takes 5 mins to brew the coffee. I'm open for suggestion though if anyone has a nice, different method !!!

#58 Stilly

Stilly
  • Members
  • 16904 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

REPORT DEMANDED!

#59 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

REPORT DEMANDED!

LOL, that aimed at me?? If it is....

It could be my imagination but it actually seemed smoother and generally, nicer. I've used this coffee for three days so have some expectations of what it can taste like using different methods and I *think* it tasted nicer with the room temp water. I'm going to fill the bottom of the billetti tonight (for my morning brew) to retry this room temp water idea.

I'm sure, as other have said, the quicker the water filters through the better. When I fill my bialetti the bottom starts to drip from condensation. Surely this must hinder the coffee brewing??

Also, my bialetti result is never as thick as my espresso brew - is this the only downside of the amazing bialetti??

The coffee I used, btw is a lovely new Starbucks (don't hate me I get it for free!!!) roast called Guatemala Casi Cielo (medium body and it's delightful)

#60 weightgain

weightgain
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

Well, I tried my overnight warmed Bialetti mix today. I am now certain having room temp water aids the process. The coffee defo was smoother and tastier. Trouble is, talking about it now makes me want one !!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users