Coffee

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#271 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10312 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Whatcha making with it? I found their house espresso blend good for making espresso with!

Normally the Aeropress, sometimes a stovetop.

#272 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 9223 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, give the house blend a go I reckon, it's pretty good.

I'm waiting for my first pack from coffeereal now. I had to ditch hasbean, after trying a few blends. Liked them for larger sized coffee but the espresso I was getting didn't match good old Whittard Italian Espresso beans, for me. We shall see if this Gone for Lunch one does any better!

#273 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 9223 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

...and GfL is indeed a good un. We'll see if having to order it in advance works out better for me than popping in Whittards when I know I'm running low but its a definite contender.

#274 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

The repair estimate is 440 ('friend price') for my Pasquini Livia machine. Hold me Posted Image

In the short term (until I can break the news to the missus) I've finally got round to fitting a Rancilio Silvia steam wand (which absolutely screams) and picking up a bottomless portafilter for my old PID'd Gaggia Posted Image

Posted Image

Soooo refound Gaggia Classic love, a completely different animal when it's alongside an amazing grinder. I haven't had to concentrate so hard on preparation for a long, long time but still, wasted beans aside - I'm so pleased I never sold her.

Prosumer's soooo expensive overrated :lol: I doubt I'll go back now.

*Edit - also I'm selling a Gaggia MDF grinder with upgraded/new burrs if anybody's interested PM away for details.

#275 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Gaggia grinder's gone, thanks to those that PM'd.

The day I posted my old one out the timer went in my new grinder (typically-bloody-typical) sent it back and there's none in stock with a waiting list of 3 months (1st World probs etc). The seller kindly sent me an Ascaso i-mini as a loan and I was smitten by the looks immediately, gorgeous little thing that reminds me of a T1000 and built like a wee tank....even my Wife went gaga over it.

Posted Image

Didn't quite know what to expect but I've been completely blown away by the results thus far, a definite keeper - I seem to be getting better espresso consistency than the Baratza or Mazzer and after 40 minutes of dialing/playing last night I got an outstanding 29 sec shot of liquid gold this morning:

Posted Image

^Coffee I used was the sublime Noir De Noir from LeCafeShop in Nottingham.

#276 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10194 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

That's a Guinness.

#277 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

:D

The Yanks call the top part Kramer or something.

Posted Image

#278 Fletch

Fletch
  • Supporters
  • 9036 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Not quite on the same level as the coffee alchemy from Fusty but I saw this grinder in one of our magazines and thought it looked pretty nifty.

http://www.bodum.com...=false&navid=59

#279 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

My Mum's got that^...gets fine enough grounds for a Cafetiere, np's. Bit static-ky mind.

#280 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Also, I'd like to big-up Waitrose Espresso Beans. Got to be the best Supermarket beans out there imo, especially good for smooth milk based drinks.

£3.29 for 250g. Don't waste your time with their Italian Roast or Colombian.

Posted Image

#281 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20271 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Bit static-ky mind.

Interesting you say that, my grinder gives me that same problem.

#282 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yeaah, retention of any kind's a bastard but just about unavoidable when you grind your own.

#283 K.P.

K.P.
  • Supporters
  • 4074 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Anyone got a good coffee beginners guide? I've tried to get into coffee before, but never really got it. I feel like I'm missing out, plus if I drink anymore Earl Grey I'm going to go mental.

#284 boomeh

boomeh
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yeah is there such a thing as nice freeze dried coffee you can just throw in hot water? I guess im paying the price for not having any contraptions but is there a better middleground than muddy water?

Cheers folks :)

#285 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Anyone got a good coffee beginners guide? I've tried to get into coffee before, but never really got it. I feel like I'm missing out, plus if I drink anymore Earl Grey I'm going to go mental.

My gateway into caffeine abuse was a stove-top Moka pot (£15-20) couldn't be easier to use, clean and it'll last a lifetime. I've got a few sizes n couldn't live without them.

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

Grinding your own beans is a life changer (and added expense/hassle) but LaVazza Rossa, Illy red or Taylor's Espresso pre-ground packets are reliable and can be found in most supermarkets...around £2.70 - 3.80 for 250g.

#286 Ratdog

Ratdog
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yeah is there such a thing as nice freeze dried coffee you can just throw in hot water? I guess im paying the price for not having any contraptions but is there a better middleground than muddy water?

Cheers folks :)

Grab a cheap single cup french press from one of the big supermarkets and any of the coffees recommended above. Stick 2 dessert spoons of coffee in. Add hot water, stir and wait 3-4 mins before pouring. Not quite instant but passable.

#287 K.P.

K.P.
  • Supporters
  • 4074 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Cheers. I already got a cafetiere is that any good?

#288 Fletch

Fletch
  • Supporters
  • 9036 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

My gateway into caffeine abuse was a stove-top Moka pot (£15-20) couldn't be easier to use, clean and it'll last a lifetime. I've got a few sizes n couldn't live without them.

That was one of my Christmas presents and it's a little beaut it's my Saturday morning ritual now. I'm thinking of an Aeropress to keep at work as well.

#289 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10194 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Cheers. I already got a cafetiere is that any good?

Yes, put nice coffee in and you'll get nice coffee out. I prefer just a little £3 plastic cone and filter paper as you don't get the silt in the bottom of the cup. An Aeropress is only £20 mind, and that makes a noticeable better coffee again.

#290 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3183 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thing about an Aeropress is it's really got the sweet spot on all the pros of coffee making:

Cheap - £20 is nothing
Easiest to clean bar none - the way it works as an airtight plunger means it cleans itself when you use it, you literally just rinse the top to reuse
Tasty - no silty sludgy coffee, makes espressos which is good if you like a latte type thing, or it can make Americanos with more water. I think the lack of silty sludge is the main reason I don't like cafetieres anymore.
Space - it takes no more room in a cupboard than another mug.
Time - boiling in the kettle and not on the stove is a big plus (Well especially as we have a shit stove that takes ages to heat up)

I'd like a proper pump espresso barista machine sure but space / cost are much more significant.

It's been a while since I used a moka pot though, I should borrow my housemate's one and do a taste test.

#291 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

When it boils down to it (heh) the quality of coffee you use is EVERYTHING.

And if anybody's desperate to take their home coffee making to the next level (whether you use a drip/aeropress/cafetiere/moka pot/electric pump) my sole advice would be to spend as much as you can afford initially on a good burr grinder.

It really is the foundation to it all...soooo, you know what to ask for at Xmas or B'days, cos entry level is an eye watering £150-200.

#292 Fletch

Fletch
  • Supporters
  • 9036 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'm not that fussy about my coffee to bother with the grinding the stuff you get at the supermarkets already ground does me just fine and is a world away from instant.

#293 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3183 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

When it boils down to it (heh) the quality of coffee you use is EVERYTHING.

And if anybody's desperate to take their home coffee making to the next level (whether you use a drip/aeropress/cafetiere/moka pot/electric pump) my sole advice would be to spend as much as you can afford initially on a good burr grinder.

It really is the foundation to it all...soooo, you know what to ask for at Xmas or B'days, cos entry level is an eye watering £150-200.

I don't understand. An entry level burr grinder is £150?

http://www.amazon.co...30625497&sr=8-1

It's a burr grinder for under £40. It's entry level. It's also served me fine for my Aeropress. It could grind finer, sure, but I can't see any reason to upgrade.

My feeling on ground coffee is this: A freshly opened bag of ground coffee tastes great, as good as beans. A day later, yeah it's fine.

A week later, towards the end of the bag, the ground coffee has just lost its flavour. Beans on the other hand - the first coffee of the bag tastes as good as the last coffee. That made the beans worth it especially as you can then buy more beans in one go, or different types so you can alternate flavours (especially good if Whittards do a 3 for 2).

#294 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well of course you can get them cheaper but they won't cover all areas of Coffee making, if you dabble across several coffee making methods or say you were to expand into Espresso/electric pump machines.

My lil Krups £30 jobbie has seen 10+yrs of use for a Cafetiere and still never skips a beat...but it would never grind fine enough for a thorough espresso extraction (Christ knows I tried).

Some info here

Consumer reviews

#295 Ratdog

Ratdog
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

A week later, towards the end of the bag

You get a full week from one bag??????

#296 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well of course you can get them cheaper but they won't cover all areas of Coffee making, if you dabble across several coffee making methods or say you were to expand into Espresso/electric pump machines.

My lil Krups £30 jobbie has seen 10+yrs of use for a Cafetiere and still never skips a beat...but it would never grind fine enough for a thorough espresso extraction (Christ knows I tried).

Some info here

Consumer reviews

Fair enough, I had no doubt that better grinders would be better for espresso, but basically if it's £150 it's just not entry level.

Anyway - I do get through a bag a week only really. It's one coffee in the morning Mon to Fri and probably about two a day on Sat and Sunday. IF I'm in the house, so sometimes it's less. I think 8-9 cups of coffee from bag doesn't actually sound like that much.

I guess I just like sleeping at night :)

#297 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

In hindsight I should have mentioned entry level for Espresso.

#298 johnj

johnj
  • Members
  • 5623 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hey guys,

To be honest, I've been quite disappointed with this thread. A lot of you are talking like you know coffee. But I'm here to tell you:

You don't.

What you know, is sewage, pipes Severn Trent Water. Because that's what 99% of what you drink. If you're going to call it 'coffee' at least lets make sure we can differentiate between 'coffee' and what I drink, which is 'Coffee'.

I'm going to let you into a secret now: your coffee is nothing without a high quality water source, and these are few and far between these days. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this little beauty a few years ago when out trekking in the outer hebredes:

Posted Image

Boiling with this water is the only way I'll take my coffee, it just adds such a zest to previously bland coffees, it could even make some of you jokers using the aeropress have good coffee I imagine.

Anyway, I was thinking, maybe we should have two threads, one called 'coffee' and one called 'Coffee' for people like me who know how to actually make a proper cup of coffee.

Cheers.

#299 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10613 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I see what you did there...and some of it is actually valid. Deffo steer clear of standard tap water.

Now all we need is Smitty in here and the thread's complete.

#300 minstrels

minstrels
  • Members
  • 6795 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I see what you did there...and some of it is actually valid. Deffo steer clear of standard tap water.

Now all we need is Smitty in here and the thread's complete.

I had no idea you were such a coffee buff! I've been slowly getting into coffee since mid last year.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users