Stilly

Coffee

655 posts in this topic

[url="http://www.imperialteas.co.uk"]Imperial Teas of Lincoln[/url] have a great bricks-and-mortar shop. I haven't tried their online store, but the people who work there seem pretty decent coves, so I'd have thought they're worth a try. I can recommend the Papua Bird of Paradise, the Sumatran Jumpa Jaya and the Guatemalan Black Bull.

[url="http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/"]http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/[/url]

Possibly the single best thing in Lancaster, and it looks like they do delivery as well. I'm worse there than in game shops; I usually send the wife in to prevent me spending a fortune.

[quote name='weightgain' post='5785894' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:19 AM']Shizzle!!! My [b]bialetti[/b] handle literally snapped off last night.
I'm gonna take it back to a costa but as I have no box or reciept I'm not holding out any hope. It still works fine but it's nor the same :)[/quote]
These Bialetti espresso makers. I quite fancy one but don't drink espresso. Do you use them to make a latte or whatever? I was wondering if I need a one or three shot maker, it's for me to make one largish cup of strong coffee at a time. If I find that three shots is too much can you make two shots from a three shot machine? And are they easy to use? I gather it's just a case of learning to sweep it off the heat before it boils.

EDIT: Oh yeah. How often do you need to change filters and what not?

[quote name='Scribbler' post='6403437' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:28 AM']I like Douwe Egberts Continental Dark, or Continental Gold if I can't get any Dark. Which, on checking their website, seem to have been renamed to Pure Indulgence (but unlike WickedKitten, I have it without milk) and Pure Gold respectively.

I can still buy it with the old name in Tescos though.[/quote]

Another vote for the Douwe Egberts Gold. As far as instant goes, its pretty good.

[quote name='ElNino' post='6403618' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:03 PM']Does anyone know a decent online supplier of beans?

There was a little shop in town that sold a fantastic santos & java blend, but they have closed down ;)[/quote]

[url="http://www.hasbean.co.uk"]www.hasbean.co.uk[/url] is a really good site - fast delivery and roasted to your preference.

Sorry for being so late to the thread; this is more of a response to the OP than a continuation of latter discussions (again, apologies)...

[quote name='Stilly' post='5731330' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:14 AM']I looked for a previous thread on coffee but couldn't find one so here's a newy.

Basically, I want to know what you think of coffee you take out or the stuff you make up yourself. Do you need a daily fix? Which're your favourite places to drink? Why?

In the last few years we've seen a huge number of Starbucks and more recently Neros and Costas hitting every high street. I personally don't like SB much because the coffee is often burnt. Costa makes a nice cuppa that tastes just right imo, but then I've never tasted 'real' coffee I guess. Know anywhere better in the UK for a good coffee? How about making your own?

Overrrr to you..[/quote]

I used to drink coffee because I enjoyed the odd cup now and then, but when I started my office job I habitually poured a mug out even when I didn't really need any. I was drinking for the sake of it every day and as a result I didn't really appreciate it that much. Initially I stopped drinking the stuff altogether as a means to get over it, but now I just drink on occasion, like when guests are about, or when I'm out with friends and we need someplace to sit and talk, or on a Saturday morning when I've just done a load of shopping and need to settle down for a moment. As for where I go, when I'm out by myself on weekends I just have the odd espresso from Costa, which tastes nice enough. Starbucks was frequented by old croaky people last time I looked so I skipped it... having said that, I remember when I was studying and went out between lessons, a friend approached me with a gingerbread latte during one particularly bitter winter day and it hit the spot quite well, even though I'm not a latte sort.

I finally got my arse to Monmouth Coffee at the weekend, after being told for ages it serves the best coffee in london.

Queue out of the door just to get a double espresso, but totally worth it, absolutely goddamned amazing. tiny place, and smells pretty strongly of lots and lots of fresh roast coffee, totally recommend going there at leasty once, and ruining high street coffee for yourself.

Also, buy an Aeropress, if you don't have one, it's an absolutely astounding piece of kit.

[quote name='Dude Ranch' post='6404384' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:31 PM']These Bialetti espresso makers. I quite fancy one but don't drink espresso. Do you use them to make a latte or whatever? I was wondering if I need a one or three shot maker, it's for me to make one largish cup of strong coffee at a time. If I find that three shots is too much can you make two shots from a three shot machine? And are they easy to use? I gather it's just a case of learning to sweep it off the heat before it boils.

EDIT: Oh yeah. How often do you need to change filters and what not?[/quote]

Hi all, I have been toying with the idea of getting a coffee machine with milk steamer to make latte's, but like the sound of these Bialetti's as they are also a lot cheaper. Can anyone answer the questions above? I would like to know the answers too.

I realise you're not gonna get the latte action without the steamed milk, but could you knock out an espresso shot and just add warm milk to it? the purists may hate it, but I don't like black coffee :)

I've been thrashing my poor little Bialetti the last few months. It's just a two-shot expresso size, but I usually use it to make latte-esque concoctions. I find it's a very satisfying little ritual using it.

As for milk, I just stick a mug in the microwave with the amount of milk I feel like. Nuke it for 1-2mins and after taking out, keep it moving to prevent a nasty skin forming. Maybe even stir it up a bit harder to get a light froth going on the top. Improvised and a bit sketchy, but I haven't had anything much better from a coffee shop since making my own.

Though I do need to step up to getting my own beans to grind and all that.

I've been making "Americano" with my Baletti. It's a 6 cup one which = one mug full. I just put less coffee in it. Basic Illy stuff. It's nice though.

[quote name='rundll' post='6685044' date='Dec 30 2009, 11:53 PM']I find it's a very satisfying little ritual using it.[/quote]
Absolutely. I love mine.

To Tempy - just get one. I got the three shot and it makes a great large mug of latte.

You went for one then, cool. I think I might treat myself in the new year. I've been banging on aout getting something for ages and getting on my doris's nerves :( .

[quote name='Otta' post='6508871' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:05 AM']Also, buy an Aeropress, if you don't have one, it's an absolutely astounding piece of kit.[/quote]

Got one for Christmas. Incredible. Made a noticeable dent in the 350 filters that came with it already, which is slightly worrying for my stomach lining.

I'm developing a healthy coffee problem, been hanging around coffee forums and just bought a chemex with a porcelain hand grinder. It's meant to be very good at extracting impurities from the coffee resulting in very 'pure' drink. Looks like something you'd synthesise LSD in which is pleasing:

[img]http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/images/CM-8%202006.jpg[/img]

This chaps videos are interesting, he was world Barista Champion in '07 - this is his [url="http://www.vimeo.com/2905947"]stove top guide.[/url] The cold wet towel at the end really does make a difference. Currently addicted to Fazenda Cachoeira de Gama from Monmouth, it's just amazing through a stove top.

[quote name='Tempy' post='6684917' date='Dec 30 2009, 11:22 PM']I realise you're not gonna get the latte action without the steamed milk, but could you knock out an espresso shot and just add warm milk to it? the purists may hate it, but I don't like black coffee :([/quote]

What you've described is a perfectly authentic caffe latte. A real latte is a stove top (which isn't an espresso BTW) mixed with warm milk. The coffee shop lattes made with steamed milk and espresso shots are a recent American invention.

Argos have a dirt-cheap coffee maker in for £4.99 at the mo, so I was thinking of getting one. I've never actually had a coffee maker/filter jobbie before though; I tend not to drink coffee at home but that's largely because I'm not fond of the taste I get from Nescafe. Would filter coffee taste particularly better? I know it's not going to be quite Costa or like one of those expensive pod machines. The other problem is I don't see myself drinking more than 2-3 cups a day, would one of these filter coffee makers be overkill? I've only ever seen them in offices where they expect to serve 40-50 coffees a day (obviously I'd be getting a small one_.

I suppose basically I'm wondering what advantages there are to having a filter machine over using instant coffee.

I like proper caffè macchiato, but can't make a good one myself. Do you need a particular type of frother?

[quote name='Asura' post='6691985' date='Jan 3 2010, 05:47 PM']Argos have a dirt-cheap coffee maker in for £4.99 at the mo, so I was thinking of getting one. I've never actually had a coffee maker/filter jobbie before though; I tend not to drink coffee at home but that's largely because I'm not fond of the taste I get from Nescafe. Would filter coffee taste particularly better? I know it's not going to be quite Costa or like one of those expensive pod machines. The other problem is I don't see myself drinking more than 2-3 cups a day, would one of these filter coffee makers be overkill? I've only ever seen them in offices where they expect to serve 40-50 coffees a day (obviously I'd be getting a small one_.

I suppose basically I'm wondering what advantages there are to having a filter machine over using instant coffee.[/quote]

A massive difference in taste, really. There's nothing wrong at all with filter coffee, it's a different beast to espresso for sure but not necessarily inferior. Well brewed filter coffee is definitely preferable to those horrible pod machines in my opinion. If you want a simple way of making good filter coffee abandon your £5 Argos doo-dab, all that will do is heat water up, pass it over paper (whilst imbuing it with a mild taste of plastic) then attempt to keep your coffee warm, ie rapidly deoxygenate the water until you're left with the worst tasting coffee imaginable.

A far better solution is to pick up one of [url="http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110310.aspx"]these[/url], it does cost twice the Argos machine but won't require papers so will work out cheaper in the long run and is very simple to use. Alternatively have a look at the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/AeroPress%C2%AE-Coffee-Maker-Bonus-Filters/dp/B001HBCVX0/ref=pd_sim_kh_3"]Aeropress[/url], as mentioned earlier in the thread - a little more fiddly and marginally more expensive but makes a very smooth cup. The trick then is to get good coffee, if you live in London I'd recommend Monmouth Coffee, if not them then Square Mile or Hasbean are both good internet retailers - also hear good things about Tescos [url="http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Ground_Coffee/Tesco_Colombian_Medium_Strength_Roast_And_Ground_Coffee_227g.html"]Columbian[/url].

[quote name='Otta' post='6507114' date='Oct 19 2009, 05:02 PM']I finally got my arse to Monmouth Coffee at the weekend, after being told for ages it serves the best coffee in london.

Queue out of the door just to get a double espresso, but totally worth it, absolutely goddamned amazing. tiny place, and smells pretty strongly of lots and lots of fresh roast coffee, totally recommend going there at leasty once, and ruining high street coffee for yourself.[/quote]

I actually went there in December and I wasn't at all impressed with the cup of coffee I had because it wasn't very strong and was a bit watery. Then again I wasn't impressed at all with the slice of Curly Wurly cake I had from K&C either.

Must have been on off day. went again at the weekend and I could feel the double espresso trying to punch holes in my tooth enamel.

In a good way like.

[quote name='petrolgirls' post='6693405' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:01 AM']A massive difference in taste, really. There's nothing wrong at all with filter coffee, it's a different beast to espresso for sure but not necessarily inferior. Well brewed filter coffee is definitely preferable to those horrible pod machines in my opinion. If you want a simple way of making good filter coffee abandon your £5 Argos doo-dab, all that will do is heat water up, pass it over paper (whilst imbuing it with a mild taste of plastic) then attempt to keep your coffee warm, ie rapidly deoxygenate the water until you're left with the worst tasting coffee imaginable.

A far better solution is to pick up one of [url="http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110310.aspx"]these[/url], it does cost twice the Argos machine but won't require papers so will work out cheaper in the long run and is very simple to use. Alternatively have a look at the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/AeroPress%C2%AE-Coffee-Maker-Bonus-Filters/dp/B001HBCVX0/ref=pd_sim_kh_3"]Aeropress[/url], as mentioned earlier in the thread - a little more fiddly and marginally more expensive but makes a very smooth cup. The trick then is to get good coffee, if you live in London I'd recommend Monmouth Coffee, if not them then Square Mile or Hasbean are both good internet retailers - also hear good things about Tescos [url="http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Ground_Coffee/Tesco_Colombian_Medium_Strength_Roast_And_Ground_Coffee_227g.html"]Columbian[/url].[/quote]

I have an aeropress, I think I've harped on about it here before, astonishing bit of kit for the price, better than any sort of low end espresso machine. honestly not found it hard to use at all, and it's incredibly easy to clean.

Monmouths beans are nice, but a bit expensive.. Not sure about the tesco Colombian, I bought a bag this week while waiting for my Hasbean order to arrive and it's not even close to as good.

Brilliant Amazon review for the aeropress thing

[quote]By Daniel Needham "fishmitten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

Makes superb coffee, easy to clean and you get to join in on the mass circlejerk that is Aeropress users telling each other how great their coffee is.[/quote]

Wish I liked coffee. I love the idea of trying all these different blends and gadgets. The thought of a ritual when making one reminds me of when I used to smoke loads of dope. Rolling a perfect joint was an absolute joy.

Just plain old tea for me though.

So I made my first cup with my Chemex this morning, in essence its filter coffee but it looks cool and its design (along with the custom thick oxygenated papers) really does take every bit of impurity and bitterness out the cup, it almost tasted quite weak - wasn't sure as I'm still playing with my handgrinder but ten minutes later I got a caffeine rush to end all caffeine rushes. Having got used to espressos and stovetops of late I'm finding the result a bit sterile but will persist with it. Also the box it comes in is amazing, I might even post picks later if I'm feeling like a real bore.