Goose

Dredd 3D

2,208 posts in this topic

Now I'm no fan of the Stallone movie (in fact it prompted me to stop buying 2000AD for about 15 years) but my heart sinks a bit when I read words like "very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic". I know it's never going to happen but I want mo-pads, knee-pads, the League of Fatties and Boing!®. Basically I want a film version of what Dredd was like when I was ten.

I'd go for some of that.

It definitely needs to be brutal and violent if it intends to match the comics, but at the same time it needs that cheesy fascism underlying the whole thing - much like the stuff Verhoeven did with Starship Troopers. But yeah, it definitely ought to have some of the more way-out stuff too.

What I'd love is a three-film, back-to-back, Lord of the Rings style version of The Cursed Earth. :)

Uncut version? More info please!

Oh, nothing major just some headbutts.

I heard years ago that this was pre-cut for 15 certificate,(bullet hits toned down, ABC Warrior killing Jürgen Prochnow), theatrically and then cut further for home video,(the headbutt thing).

Information on any pre-cutting is sketchy at best. Dorian Gray was pre-cut as early as last year and not a sniff of info is on the BBFC website about it.

Btw, anyone got a link to an HDTV rip of the 1995 movie?

Judge Anderson Cast

Olivia Thirlby has joined the cast of Judge Dredd, reports Variety.

Thirlby will play Judge Cassandra Anderson, a psychically powered rookie Judge who teams with Judge Joe Dredd (Karl Urban) for training. Set in a dystopian future, the British comic book adaptation focuses on a police force given the power to act as judge, jury and executioner to whomsoever they perceive to be part of the criminal element.

In the 2000 A.D. comic book series (within which Judge Dredd is a recurring story), Anderson goes on to lead the city's Psi Division, maintaining an uneasy friendship with Dredd.

Judge Dredd will be directed by Pete Travis with a script by Alex Garland. It was previously adapted into a film in 1995 with Sylvester Stallone in the lead. The character of Judge Anderson did not appear in that iteration of that franchise.

post-242-006572600 1283532060_thumb.jpg

I like Thirlby, she's been good in the few things I've seen her in (Juno, The Wackness and Bored to Death) but surprised to see her cast as Anderson. Thought they would have went with someone slightly older. Still, I can see her pulling it off.

It will be interesting to see how they use Urban in this if the rumors of him not removing the helmet are true. If they aren't going to be selling the movie on a name, I think they could have went 'uglier' and grittier for Dredd. Ray Stevenson, for example.

it needs to be grotesque rather than gritty

Judge Anderson? A siege in a housing block? Could this be the introduction of Judge Death and his buddies?

Wouldn't this be a more appropriate picture for the actress playing Judge Anderson, unless they are planning to not have her as a blonde (Goose seems to have chosen the most flattering picture possible :P)

Olivia-Thirlby-olivia-thirlby-2310637-305-400.jpg

Fingers crossed for the Dark Judges but I can't see them working on screen.

Personally I'd love them to do the Apocalypse War: Orlok, Sov invasion, Strato-V's, Stub guns HELL YEAH.

Having Anderson in this sets things up nicely for a Dark Judge story in a sequel. I can't stand all this 3D shit doing the rounds at the moment but I'd sure as hell be first in line for a film that has the "Gaze into the face of Fear!"/"GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD" scene in glorious, skullcrushing, brainsmushing, 3D superpunch/audience pants-shitting awesomeness.

Here's hoping Stallone has a cameo.

I knew you'd say that...

The project appears to have been renamed as Dredd.

Here is the official synopsis (doesn't go into any details though):

DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.

Now I'm no fan of the Stallone movie (in fact it prompted me to stop buying 2000AD for about 15 years) but my heart sinks a bit when I read words like "very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic". I know it's never going to happen but I want mo-pads, knee-pads, the League of Fatties and Boing!®. Basically I want a film version of what Dredd was like when I was ten.

Ooh yes please. Even if they do hard and gritty, I'd love to see these things as texture- what I always loved about Dredd was the insanity of the world that he found himself in, and the way that so many times he was the straight man to the lunacy around him (albeit a fascistic straight man with a big gun).

250px-Otto_sump_prog280_ron_smith.jpg

I knew you'd say that...

All it needs is his head in a jar saying "I am da lor"

Here's hoping Stallone has a cameo.

as the DNA donor for Joe and Rico etc?

Lionsgate to distribute - Courtest of /film

In advance of the American Film Market, LionsGate has picked up US distribution rights to three films: Dredd (based on the Judge Dredd comics), Safe and Protection. All three films are from financing/sales company IM Global. Info on all three films is after the break.

Dredd will shoot starting on November 12 in South Africa, with Pete Travis directing Karl Urban in the title role. Most of the global distribution rights to Dredd were already sold, at the Toronto Film Festival. A previous IM Global press release had this info about the film:

DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.

Something along the lines of a skyscraper siege I think. Dredd will team up with the newly arrived Judge Anderson.

Isn't Karl Urban a bit on the short side - or am I thinking of someone else?

That girl they've chosen for Judge Anderson is a joke.

At the very least, Anderson needs to be played by a fully grown actress with a great rack, not some pipsqueak emo drip.

Isn't Karl Urban a bit on the short side - or am I thinking of someone else?

Had the pleasure of meeting him last year, and in one of the more bizarre moments of my life ended up giving him a lift in my wee red mini cooper to his hotel. He's just over 6ft I think. Much taller than Stallone!

He's a really nice guy and also loves Star Wars. I reckon he will be able to play Dredd really well. He's like comics as well and I'm pretty sure we talked about 200AD.

Whilst i approve of Karl Urban playing Dredd no one will ever come close to who should really play him; Clint Eastwood.

I realise the Dredd character was written with a heavy Clint influence but for me this is one of film/comic book adaptions great missed oppotunities.

edit:

That girl they've chosen for Judge Anderson is a joke.

At the very least, Anderson needs to be played by a fully grown actress with a great rack, not some pipsqueak emo drip.

how about Seven of Nine- Jeri Ryan

Jeri-Ryan-Seven-of-Nine-Red-Top.jpg

not sure about her 'acting' credentials tho

Josh Brolin still seems like the best current casting choice for the role.

Truth.

The bloke who was Bones - christ he was just awful. Some of the worst acting I've seen on the big screen in awhile.

I hope he is better in this.