• Please log in to reply
2107 replies to this topic

#331 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4940 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Oh dear. That was a bit lame.

It is a bit but tbh what else were we expecting? It was always going to be 'batman voice' for Dredd as few directors/actors would be confident enough to try anything else, especially given how this is a low-budget production and under intense scrutiny ( by fans, at least ). Dredd certainly shouldn't have a high voice ( though the comedy is tempting ) but he doesn't necessarily need to have an 'Eastwood' growl either, it's a shame they haven't challenged that.

Though of course all this analysation is based on three words. :lol:

#332 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11720 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Don't forget it's just him talking to a camcorder.....

#333 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#334 Space Renegade Ulala

Space Renegade Ulala
  • Members
  • 15428 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Drokk!

#335 APM

APM
  • Supporters
  • 28817 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

That's better.

#336 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27785 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Awarded an R-rating for strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content.

#337 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27785 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Have we had this picture yet? A site reckons its new but I think I've seen it before. They really need to get a trailer sorted out for this.

Attached Files

#338 sandman

sandman
  • Members
  • 6555 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

His helmet is about 2 sizes too big for him

#339 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41557 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

It's too high up on his head. The visor needs to be at the bottom of his nose. They should have just designed around the 'prongs' at eye level.

#340 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm disappointed all the official photos so far have just been Dredd in a nondescript corridor. Seeing as there was some good concept art of Mega-City I was hoping we would have seen what the wider world looked like by now.

#341 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106325 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm disappointed all the official photos so far have just been Dredd in a nondescript corridor. Seeing as there was some good concept art of Mega-City I was hoping we would have seen what the wider world looked like by now.

Posted Image

#342 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41557 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Maybe, just maybe, they're going in the opposite of Prometheus and Avengers and keeping as much hidden as possible. We're always pissing and moaning about studios showing too much.

#343 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Fine, but they've also got to sell the film to people unfamiliar/not bothered by Judge Dredd and I doubt most of the photos released so far will do that. I'm sure when the trailer appears much more will be revealed but it seems like they've been releasing photos for months now and most look strikingly similar (even Goose thought the newest photo had been released before). It is a balancing act to get right, how much do you show to pique an audience's interest without giving away the whole film. However, showing more than a solitary corridor is unlikely to ruin your enjoyment of the eventual film.

#344 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28721 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

It has a similar set-up to The Raid if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck topping that...

#345 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

I like the over-sized helmet in that new(?) picture...this is going to be 100% awesome!

#346 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41557 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Fine, but they've also got to sell the film to people unfamiliar/not bothered by Judge Dredd and I doubt most of the photos released so far will do that. I'm sure when the trailer appears much more will be revealed but it seems like they've been releasing photos for months now and most look strikingly similar (even Goose thought the newest photo had been released before). It is a balancing act to get right, how much do you show to pique an audience's interest without giving away the whole film. However, showing more than a solitary corridor is unlikely to ruin your enjoyment of the eventual film.

I agree they could show more, but I have faith.

#347 K

K
  • Members
  • 20838 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Is this still set in the near future, rather than the more distant setting of the comics? That was always my biggest reservation about the film – I’m not really arsed about the helmet or the lack of shoulderpads, it’s the fact that Mega City 1 was going to be some CGI-augmented South African suburb, rather than the literal embodiment of a MEGA CITY.

#348 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Tried putting his eyes where I always thought of Dredd's being.

Posted Image

#349 Steven

Steven
  • Members
  • 4510 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Still looks like Dredd's little brother has nicked his uniform. Just isn't intimidating and therefore looks to fail on a fundamental level.

#350 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27785 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I heard that the reason they're keeping things low key is because they can't afford to spend too much on publicity (which kind of begs the question - if you can't afford to sell the picture, why make it and expect to make money?). But I agree with lordcookie, you've got to put something out there, especially if your release date is September. You need to start selling it to people who have no idea what the film is all about (or at least, to wash away the memory of the Stallone version, guilty pleasure or not).

Still concerned about the director walking off the picture/locked out of the editing suite, though I've heard little on that story since it emerged.

#351 11 Herbs 'n' Spices

11 Herbs 'n' Spices
  • Members
  • 5457 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Still concerned about the director walking off the picture/locked out of the editing suite, though I've heard little on that story since it emerged.

All a big fuss over nothing apparently:

Travis and Garland released a joint statement that read, "During all stages of the filmmaking, 'Dredd' has been a collaboration between a number of dedicated creative parties.  From the outset we decided on an unorthodox collaboration to make the film.  This situation has been misinterpreted.  To set the record straight, Pete was not fired and remains a central part of the collaboration, and Alex is not seeking a co-director credit.  We are all extremely proud of the film we have made, and respectfully suggest that it is judged on viewing when its released next year."

http://latimesblogs....p-on-dredd.html

#352 Phelan

Phelan
  • Members
  • 17681 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

I gave Dredd a lift in my car a few years ago!!!
Sorry just had to post that

#353 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Did you have to open the sunroof?

#354 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Dredd didnt suck at Cannes...

http://www.deadline....nes-screenings/

Of today’s Dredd screening, IM Global’s Stuart Ford says, “The reaction was great. It was as packed as any screening I’ve seen in Cannes. There were people sitting on the floor in the front and the back of the room.” (And that was after the air-conditioning had gone on the blink just ahead of the movie; Ford says there were no walkouts, “even though it was about a hundred degrees.”) Dredd, directed by Pete Travis, stars Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey. It’s a project that would also normally have been set up at a studio, but instead, Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global financed DNA Films’ $40M adaptation of the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra. Today’s screening allowed “people who bought it for a lot of money 18 months ago” to get a look at what Ford says is “an edgy, cool film with a rocking soundtrack.” Compared to other superhero pictures coming down the pike, Ford says it “appears very fresh and distinctive. It’s Dirty Harry meets District 9.” Lionsgate is releasing in the U.S. on September 21 and there are two territories remaining that Ford expects to close possibly “before the evening is out.”

#355 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42041 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'd prefer to hear a reaction from someone other than the film distributer. I'm still unsure about this movie and it'd be nice to get more than "nobody walked out". Great poster quote, that.

#356 jerellis1

jerellis1
  • Supporters
  • 3501 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Have we had this picture yet? A site reckons its new but I think I've seen it before. They really need to get a trailer sorted out for this.

I don't entirely dislike the way this looks to be shaping up, but I do have one big concern, which is that Karl Urban always looks as though he's trying to make the Dredd face, when it really ought to be the case that Dredd's face just naturally looks that pissed off and enormous-chinny all the time. That's why I'll always maintain that Ron Perlman should have been given the job.

#357 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41557 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

John Wagners impressions of the new film from his Facebook page:

John Wagner
I went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I've had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them - a little quibble at the beginning - have been addressed. And what a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you'll let me know what you think when you've seen it, but this has my recommendation.

#358 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15530 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Pffffft, I remember Tharg telling me the Stallone version was going to be awesome.

#359 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11372 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes.

That's not a good sign. :(

#360 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9800 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

That's not a good sign. :(

Well, John's been a fan of mushrooms for a very long time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users