I Am Alive

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

Someone will no doubt be along in a second to point out and existing thread. I did a search, honest!

So after loving SOS: The Final Escape and Raw Danger on the PS2 and (somewhat) looking forward to Disaster: Day of Crisis on the Wii, I was thinking how a HD version of one of these survival adventure games would be amazing. Guess what? Ubisoft seems to be making one - I Am Alive - a title which bears absolutely no similarities to I Am Legend. Honest guv.

Set in the aftermath of an earthquake in Chicago, the game will apparently feature no weapons. It looks quite intruiging, although it's far too early to tell. It could very well be another Assassins Creed *shudder* but I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.

#2 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18036 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

SOS: The Final Escape is Zettai Zetsumei Toshi, right?* I LOVE that game! It's one of the first games I bought for my Japanese PS2 way back when and it's still one of my favourite games ever. We need more games that dare to be original like that. The trailer on that site certainly had a similar vibe to SOS: The Final Escape, especially with the water and the fact that there are no weapons. Sounds promising, I hope the developers look at SOS: The Final Escape for inspiration, that game was all kinds of wonderful. Like you say, a HD interpretation with next-gen physics and stuff could be very interesting indeed.

*I googled it, and it is! The western version has an extremely crap cover....

#3 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

*I googled it, and it is! The western version has an extremely crap cover....

Trust me, that's art compared to the cover it's US sequel got...

Posted Image

#4 Rayn

Rayn
  • Members
  • 13828 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

The western version has an extremely crap cover....

Like always, then ^_^

Trust me, that's art compared to the cover it's US sequel got...

Posted Image

;) ^_^

#5 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18036 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

Like always, then ;)

Yes, I know it's usually like that but in this case it's really extreme;

From this:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

Although admittedly, that Raw Danger cover is even worse.

Btw, I never played Raw Danger - is it good? As good as SOS?

#6 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Btw, I never played Raw Danger - is it good? As good as SOS?

It's similar in style but unlike SOS, you play as several different characters. If you liked SOS, you'll like this. Just get past the terrible graphics and awful dialogue.

It never got a UK release though. If you want a PAL version your best bet is to pick up a french copy.

#7 bigbrick

bigbrick
  • Members
  • 3867 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

To this:
Posted Image

that's the US cover, the PAL one is better, but still rubbish:

Posted Image

#8 Professor_k

Professor_k
  • Members
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Last time I played Raw Danger it started thundering and pelting it down outside. "This is great" I thought, as I cosied up on the couch, soaking up the atmosphere. Next thing I know I'm bailing out my back yard as it filled with rain water. Turns out to be the start of the "great Hull flood" which killed a guy and left many homeless and living out of caravans.

Never played it again.

Trufax

#9 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11281 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Probably my most-anticipated game, this. The idea of a polished, HD, physics-enhanced Raw Danger (I never did play SOS) is massively appealing.

Incidentally, in a quite amazing coincidence, Irem announced the release of SOS 3 on PSP today. ;)

#10 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8701 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

I loved Raw Danger, the graphics and controls weren't the best (in fact, just really bad at times) but the atmosphere was second to none and it was a completely unique experience. I especially loved having to go to on fire barrels to heat up and keep yourself warm, that was very cool. It was also great playing as different characters in different scenarios which were actually different. You didn't just control different characters in the exact same story, each story/location was different.

I haven't played SOS yet but I do have the game sitting on my shelf so should do so very soon.

The thought of a more polished, high budget game like I Am Alive certainly gets me very interested!

As for SOS 3 on the PSP - ;) Cannot wait.

#11 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

Incidentally, in a quite amazing coincidence, Irem announced the release of SOS 3 on PSP today. ;)

Fucksakes. I'm going to have to buy a PSP now, aren't I?

#12 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24915 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Fucksakes. I'm going to have to buy a PSP now, aren't I?

Or just wait for the inevitable PS2 port six months after its release. :)

#13 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

That concept video they had at E3 looked pretty rubbish, I thought. It was basically photorealistic but with weirdly proportioned faces and it all just looked wrong.

#14 luth714

luth714
  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

It's similar in style but unlike SOS, you play as several different characters. If you liked SOS, you'll like this. Just get past the terrible graphics and awful dialogue.

It never got a UK release though. If you want a PAL version your best bet is to pick up a french copy.

Wow, had no idea it had a PAL release - anyone know if there's an option for English on the French version?

Was considering chipping my PS2, mostly for this and some other bits, but if I can avoid it and save the cash, then I will!

#15 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28900 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

I just hope it won't have any supernatural elements.

#16 Kinketsu

Kinketsu
  • Members
  • 3371 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Same here, if it turns out some monsters come out of the earthquake holes or something then it's not getting bought.

#17 Vin

Vin
  • Members
  • 7025 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Has anything been confirmed about the game aside from Ms Raymond's involvement?

Is it an FPS, third-person or something else? Color me curious at any rate.

#18 Cthulhu Steev

Cthulhu Steev
  • Members
  • 6605 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

I just hope it won't have any supernatural elements.

Don't worry, it's going to have a sci-fi/time travel twist.

#19 Kinketsu

Kinketsu
  • Members
  • 3371 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Has anything been confirmed about the game aside from Ms Raymond's involvement?

Is it an FPS, third-person or something else? Color me curious at any rate.

I don't think even Jade Raymond is involved, that was a rumour that started on Gamekyo or something and 1Up spread it. Ubisoft released a statement about that not long after the trailer came out -

“Jade Raymond, contrary to rumors that circulated online, is not working on I Am Alive,” says Michael Beadle, a Ubisoft spokesperson who e-mailed me about the matter. “Someone posted it on a Web site in Europe. It was not true. She’s working in Montreal on projects that have yet-to-be announced.”

#20 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Rebooted again, delayed until 2011.

Ubisoft has rebooted development on much-delayed title I Am Alive - and is now creating the game with the Splinter Cell engine.

CVG reported this week that the title had been delayed again, and would now not see the light of day until 2011 at the earliest.

Clarifying the reason for the delay, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said:

"We have totally re-engineered I Am Alive. It's still on the way, it's going to use the Splinter Cell engine.

"We have amortized all the costs that were incurred with the previous developer.

"Everything we do is fresh now on that product and we think it can be very good quality, but it's not going to come this financial year."

I Am Alive - a Jade Raymond pet project - was originally developed by Darkworks, but CVG understands that the project was then moved to Ubisoft Shanghai.

According to this latest news, that shift involved more of a 'complete restart' than a 'bit of spit and polish'.

http://www.computera...e.php?id=231727

#21 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3790 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Shanghai now, about a year ago I heard it was taken in-house to Montreal.

#22 Alan Stock

Alan Stock
  • Members
  • 5399 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Does anyone know what this game's going to be about? We've seen the teaser trailer, we know it's an earthquake aftermath, but are you fighting/running away from things, or just trying to survive post-earthquake environment events like the SOS games? It looks like you'll need to find water to stay alive at least, does anyone know anything else about it?

#23 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31299 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Shanghai, you say? Oh well, it could've been good.

#24 GrumpyLittleBear

GrumpyLittleBear
  • Members
  • 2147 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Bum to the delay, was quite intrigued by this. More to do with a love of Chicago but what little was revealed looked interesting.

Reading about SOS and Raw Danger on the previous page, I'm gutted I missed those on PS2.

#25 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28900 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Still alive

#26 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know what this game's going to be about? We've seen the teaser trailer, we know it's an earthquake aftermath, but are you fighting/running away from things, or just trying to survive post-earthquake environment events like the SOS games? It looks like you'll need to find water to stay alive at least, does anyone know anything else about it?

It's a first person action adventure(?) with you playing as a survivor searching for his girlfriend as well as looking for supplies, weapons, food, water, etc.

Spoiler

This is all based on info from 2009 and we know that Ubi have since reworked the title, so no-one really knows if the core game is still the same.

Anyway, looks like it's definitely coming this year but it's no longer a retail title...

Ubisoft’s earth-shattering action-survival game I Am Alive, originally announced in 2008, has remained silent since its formal introduction to the world. It shouldn’t remain that way for long.

During a recent video-cast at JeuxVideo, Ubisoft Toronto managing director, Jade Raymond, told the site that I Am Alive will (finally) release this year. The game won’t debut at retail, as originally planned, but instead will release on digital platforms (PlayStation Network, Xbox LIVE Arcade).

Raymond said that Ubisoft doesn’t have much faith in the title, which is why they’ll release it digitally.

http://scrawlfx.com/...lease-this-year

:)

#27 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12210 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hm sad to see it being handled this way. Does this mean the game will suck or that it is simply too different from most 'popular' games? Or is this simply an excuse to push the digital distribution of triple-A titles?

#28 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hm sad to see it being handled this way. Does this mean the game will suck or that it is simply too different from most 'popular' games? Or is this simply an excuse to push the digital distribution of triple-A titles?

I hate to say it, but it's probably because it sucks. Ubi might have decided to cut their losses and not spend any more than they have to. Pure guesswork though and hopefully wrong as the trailer Vemsie posted looks pretty good and we rarely see games that place during/just after an earthquake.

Last one was Disaster on Wii if I'm not mistaken, always liked the look of it but not enough to buy a Wii just to play it.

:)

#29 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5144 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

It's a real shame this is being pushed to one side. There hasn't been a good environmental survival horror game since SOS and its sequel on the PS2. A proper next gen version would be amazing.

Isn't there a new SOS game out for the PSP in Japan? Any word on a Western release?

#30 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

There's one coming to PS3 later this year, no mention of a Western release. :(

http://www.rllmukfor...1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users