Film

• Please log in to reply
1657 replies to this topic

#31 Kandy

Kandy
  • Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

Even in comics he's dull and HE was only ever good in the 60-70s where it was just psychedelic, stupid fun. The only appearance he should ever make on film again is to be beated the shit out of by Batman, hopefully Bale is still playing him of course:).

#32 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7615 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

Even in comics he's dull and HE was only ever good in the 60-70s where it was just psychedelic, stupid fun. The only appearance he should ever make on film again is to be beated the shit out of Batman, hopefully Bale is still playing him of course:).

<ChristianBaleSupermanWonderWomanStory.gif>

#33 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Do you know anything about spiders? One of the deadliest predators in the animal kindgom. :D

Yay :D

I'd still prefer to see them tackle Lupin III (I know the latter was an influence for aspects of Speed Racer).

There's the door, please get the fuck out. Seriously that's the stupidest thing I've seen all week. I happen To really like Lupin as a franchise (there's so much more to lupin than Cagliostro) and I'd rather not have it ruined by some big shot director who is more interested in money than the property. Lupin has survived 40years without fuck ups, let's not have Hollywood mess that up for us. With any luck Monkey Punch has the same thought. The only person ouside TMS worthy of a new Lupin project is miyazaki, a man with experience of both lupin movies and the various tv shows.

a radioactive spider?

FAIL

#34 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10666 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

I know nowt at all about Superman but I like the old films because they were the had gaudy outfits and glowing effects and a really awesome arctic crystal cave thing that he went to and it all sparkled and looked pretty and he flew that bird from Black Christmas around a bit and the music was all bombastic and uplifting and when he saved the day everyone cheered and I cheered too because I was like nine years old or summat.

Deeeeeep breath.

Gritty Superman would be a massive fail, basically.

#35 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11290 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

If they want to make Superman dark, then they can go the Dark Knight Returns route and portray Superman as a political weapon of the USA; maybe transplanting him into a War On Terror battle.

#36 Jarik

Jarik
  • Members
  • 4583 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Bizzaro could be a good choice as the antagonist for the next Superman film. I liked the way the Superboy series portrayed him as more of a tragic character, so maybe something like that perhaps with more of the mental & emotional instability could provide all the Darkness you need without having a character who is necessarily evil, just messed up.

#37 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19273 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

There's the door, please get the fuck out. Seriously that's the stupidest thing I've seen all week. I happen To really like Lupin as a franchise (there's so much more to lupin than Cagliostro) and I'd rather not have it ruined by some big shot director who is more interested in money than the property. Lupin has survived 40years without fuck ups, let's not have Hollywood mess that up for us. With any luck Monkey Punch has the same thought. The only person ouside TMS worthy of a new Lupin project is miyazaki, a man with experience of both lupin movies and the various tv shows.

Do I win a prize?

If there ever was a live action Hollywood Lupin then I think they would be ideally suited to it. I've read in a few interviews that they love the franchise and they quite often dropped references for Cagliostro during their Speed Racer press tour so it wouldn't exactly be a 'take the cash and run' kind of deal for them. It will never happen so it hardly matters anyway.

#38 Chopsocky

Chopsocky
  • Members
  • 1709 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

Lupin has survived 40 years without fuck ups, let's not have Hollywood mess that up for us

Come on, not all the Lupin animated movies have been good, not to mention there was a Japanese live action movie. That said I think Hollywood doing a Lupin flick would probably end up being something like 'Undercover Brother' which is not the right direction.

#39 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

Do I win a prize?

If there ever was a live action Hollywood Lupin then I think they would be ideally suited to it. I've read in a few interviews that they love the franchise and they quite often dropped references for Cagliostro during their Speed Racer press tour so it wouldn't exactly be a 'take the cash and run' kind of deal for them. It will never happen so it hardly matters anyway.

name dropping cagliostro is part of the issue though. Cagliostro, no matter how awesome it is, is a black sheep as far as lupin goes. It's actually un-lupin in some regards. Also cagliostro's chase sequence has been matched in other lupin titles (fuma conspiracy for one).

Come on, not all the Lupin animated movies have been good, not to mention there was a Japanese live action movie. That said I think Hollywood doing a Lupin flick would probably end up being something like 'Undercover Brother' which is not the right direction.

Theres a difference between an average lupin animation and a Hollywood production. For starters the Hollywood production is almost guarenteed to be much less faithfull (the mass Market is hardly going to know any different). History shows me that american productions have a tendency to do whatever they want with licensed properties. The existing live Movie is supposed to be pretty faithful to the manga. There's also a question over how dark they go, the manga is a lot darker the the anime (I like both styles but the tone is different due to the nature of the mediums). The anime focuses more on the "chase" then the underworld

#40 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Wish that JLA movie would hurry up so I can get my Green Lantern Sinestro War Trilogy of awesome.

#41 Vin

Vin
  • Members
  • 6962 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

A shame about Routh - he seemed born for the role.

Curious about the new direction. Nothing sounds definitive at the moment, though.

This could be in limbo for a wee while, I reckon.

#42 Gambit

Gambit
  • Members
  • 7317 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

If they want a villain that can match Superman in power then bring on the DOOOOOOMSDAY!

#43 Jimmyzilla

Jimmyzilla
  • Members
  • 6732 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

What kind of a fight could they have in a PG-13 though? Ideally there has to be blood to really show that supes is hurt

#44 Tetchy

Tetchy
  • Members
  • 4978 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Oooh, this could be good.

As much as I liked Superman Returns the only way back from 'the kid' syndrome would be that he dies very early on in the next movie due to kryptonite poisoning by villains, which is the thing that sends him all 'brooding' and stuff.

A major problem with a reboot is the origin story. People have to understand HOW he becomes Superman (boyscout-ish, noble, honest etc.) by finding the crystals, building the fortress and learning about his race from his long dead father. In the first film that took up over a quarter of the film and you can't really do a 'Hulk' or 'Batman Begins' with it.

I think they should just do the JLA movie, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman movies and then the next Superman movie should be him fighting Doomsday across Metropolis (with guest spots from the JLA) in which one of their fights kills his Mum, his son and Lois Lane. Which then leads to a 3rd film with him and Wonder Woman getting it together and a storyline involving Bizzaro sullying the name of Superman.

#45 So. Angry.

So. Angry.
  • Members
  • 2270 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

Doomsday is so shit. Shitter than shit. Like a huge walking shit monster. Shows up, punches Superman to death, then dies. What a fantastic story. At least when they had Bane fulfil a similar role in Knightfall (which was, to be fair, also shit) he had stuff like motives and an agenda and all manner of other things that made him a character rather than just "The thing that is totally going to kill Batman." Having Superman contemplate mortality and sacrifice by having something show up and punch him really hard in the face is retarded, especially when as a character he knows anyone with a chunk of a Kryptonian geology could kill him too.

Seriously you could replace Doomsday with anything in the Death of Superman and it wouldn't really affect it. Robot Spider. A giant kryptonite powered Bulldozer. Jimmy Olsen.

Actually that last one would add all kinds of depth to the story. Scrap it.

I vote alien invaders, possibly Brainiac. Make him Kryptonian like in the cartoon and play off Superman's whole "loyalty to his new home" schtick. Massive potential for Superman fighting giant space robots too.

#46 srgbilco

srgbilco
  • Members
  • 9476 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

I haven't read the comics basically because Superman is pants but if they do anything, they should have him fight alien invaders in a big series of spectacle fights. Then when the aliens are done and about to go home, the US can reveal some massively unethical alien genocide rocket thing which Superman hates, mixing it up Doctor Who style. Then they fire the rocket but Superman intercepts it and destroys it, dying in the process. The world and the aliens are humbled by his sacrifice and promise to live in peace. Then you see a small scrap of his cape floating in space, which comes towards the screen and engulfs it. CREDITS

Next film: Superman is back IN THE FUTURE but he has no memories of himself or his powers and he has to get them back quick smart to prevent a galaxy-wide catastrophe, with spaceships and stuff.

That'll be $50 million thanks.

#47 MK-1601

MK-1601
  • Members
  • 11476 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

I'm not much of a Superman buff, but I think the best plan would be to go for a kind of retro, timeless feel which is kind of what the Donner movies did. Superman being conflicted/dark/topical is boring.

I think a live action Lupin could work, but it would be a real challenge to find an actor who can sell the character. Obviously the Wachowskis shouldn't be let anywhere near it.

#48 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9059 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Aren't there about a billion and one DC comic characters for them to base a film on that would be more interesting than Superman? (or is the only reason they keep on trying is because of his built-in comic book fanbase), the films have all been middling and the world he inhabits isn't particularly gripping.

#49 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19273 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

A major problem with a reboot is the origin story. People have to understand HOW he becomes Superman (boyscout-ish, noble, honest etc.) by finding the crystals, building the fortress and learning about his race from his long dead father. In the first film that took up over a quarter of the film and you can't really do a 'Hulk' or 'Batman Begins' with it.

I'm not convinced you need an origins story at all even if it is a reboot. The character is so well known I think the majority of people know how he became Superman.

#50 Theseus

Theseus
  • Supporters
  • 1908 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

They'd be doing A Franchise™, so the origin would be key padding material to extend the A Franchise™.

#51 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15216 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:37 AM

A world where Superman became Hitler.

#52 Chase

Chase
  • Members
  • 5018 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

They should do 'Kingdom Come'. An actual aged grown man playing the lead rather than girlish boys.
Posted Image

The story is set roughly a generation after the then-current DC universe. Ten years prior to the start of the story, the Joker massacres the staff of the Daily Planet, killing (among others) Jimmy Olsen, Perry White and Lois Lane. As he arrives for his trial, he is killed by a new superhero named Magog. In an instance of Jury nullification, Magog is acquitted for his cold-blooded act and Superman is appalled by the public embracing a killer as a hero. Already disheartened at the death of Lois Lane, Kal-El abandons his life as Superman, retreating to his Fortress of Solitude where he will spend the next decade, failing to realize his importance as a constant inspiration/role model to other heroes. Other heroes, equally disturbed at the public's overwhelmingly positive reaction to Magog's actions, withdraw from the world at large.

I'm neither a Superman or Comic book fan, but I would love to see this. Will they have this comic at Forbidden Planet?

#53 Santas Boyfriend

Santas Boyfriend
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

I'm neither a Superman or Comic book fan, but I would love to see this. Will they have this comic at Forbidden Planet?

Yes. You can get a regular paperback edition or splash out on a beautiful (and expensive) oversized absolute edition.

The fanboy in me says that Kingdom Come would be a great idea for a movie but there's a lot to squash into a single film. If they want a grittier Superman - something that's probably a bad idea in the first place - then I guess using him a bit like Hyperion in Supreme Power is an obvious option. Tool of the US Government, rebelling against his masters etc. Add in a bit of the 'alien trying to fit in' stuff that's been frequently used to make Superman a more 3-dimensional character and it might work. I still think it's a bad idea though. Superman is such a hard character to get right if you want to go beyond the boy-scout-with-effectively-limitless-power stereotype.

#54 Yswr

Yswr
  • Supporters
  • 5607 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

How could they possibly go down a similar route of the recent Batman films, the reason it works the way it does is because while it may be a dark setting it's also based very much in reality or as much in reality as you can get with a psycho who dresses up as a bat and kicks peoples arses. Begins and The Dark Knight lends itself to the idea of, if this shit happened to this guy and he got this messed up what would he do with all these resources and it works. Superman just can't do this, he's not a psycho, he's not messed up, he has the perfect family background, he's the blue eyed boy scout of America, he's the goody two shoes that all those little American kids should aspire to be like.

Superman just can't be the dark brooding hero that batman is, all they have to do is look at the suits and you should get the idea. Batmans is to instill fear in the criminals he chases and Supermans is bright with a big red flowing cape like a big flag to please the kids.

#55 Gwynster

Gwynster
  • Members
  • 19016 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

I heard the were developing Plastic Man, with an eye to getting Keanu Reeves for the role.

Oooh, good one. ;)

#56 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15555 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Oooh, good one. ;)

DCs wackiest superhero played by Hollywoods most humourless actor?

#57 Gwynster

Gwynster
  • Members
  • 19016 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

DCs wackiest superhero played by Hollywoods most humourless actor?

Plastic Man played by Hollywood's greatest shop dummy? Come on, don't tell me that went over your head.

#58 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3494 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

As long as any reboot doesn't feature more rocks. Great concept for Superman Returns that, Superman vs GIANT ROCK. Awful film.

#59 Caprylate

Caprylate
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

For a re-make of Superman, the main focus has to be giving him a villain who wouldn't be absolutely destroyed in a single punch, and it shouldn't be made a 12A just to maximise the audience. I'd quite like to see some sort of Darkseid storyline having always liked the fight they had on the Justice League cartoon.

If they want to make Superman dark, then they can go the Dark Knight Returns route and portray Superman as a political weapon of the USA; maybe transplanting him into a War On Terror battle.

Ooooh, I like this suggestion actually, I could see it working quite well with the right people behind it.

#60 Pete

Pete
  • Members
  • 4095 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

Surely it's Miller's dark knight returns, with all the batman vs superman action. What more do you need?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users