Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lewismistreated

The Story of Braid

166 posts in this topic

That's really interesting. If true it's pretty brave for him to have a concept that like 0.001% of people would ever figure out.

How do you figure all this fits in with the actual levels and time mechanics of the worlds themselves? Most of the stuff you've gotten has come from the books, what do you think the levels represent? And the castle at the end of the epilogue.

My head's a bit frazzled after going through all of the above earlier tonight, but I think the desire for reversing actions that can't be taken back is even more prominent than it initially seems. What fascinates me is that we were sold it on the back of a couple, a man and his princess, but having that exist at the same time as all this other stuff around the creation of the atomic bomb is just... mind-blowing.

Plus, I'd really like to get other people in on this. What do you think? Hopefully by the time I've awoken from a much-needed sleep, this'll be a busy hive of discussion. Or something.

Excellent post! You've made me want to play the game and see for myself now.

Is there many spoilers in there?

Well, I haven't revealed any of the puzzle solutions, put it that way. But there's a description of the ending sequence, as well as pictures and decriptions of post-game events.

Rereading the world 1 books, this really makes sense.

Tim wants, like nothing else, to find the Princess, to know her at last. For Tim this would be momentous, sparking an intense light that embraces the world, a light that reveals the secrets long kept from us, that illuminates - or materialises! - a final palace where we can exist in peace.

But how would this be percieved by the other residents of the city, in the world that flows contrariwise? The light would be intense and warm at the beginning, but then flicker down to nothing, taking the castle with it; it would be like burning down the place we've always called home, where we played so innocently as children. Destroying all hope of safety, forever.

First time I read that, it's about love - how for Tim, intense love is what he wants, but for most, love that intense would turn their lives upside-down and make things uncertain.

Read it as about the development of the atomic bomb instead. For the creators, the bomb was intended to bring peace to the world. For the rest of us, it has created a terrifying constant threat of destruction. It even describes an explosion of light, and the revealing of secrets.

Nice find, roBurky. I've been trying to go through as much of the game as possible to see where all of this pops up, especially with regards to the ending. The very last screen speaks of him picking up stones to find them "cold and smooth", and using these stones as the foundation of his castle. I'm sure that there's something in there, but I really don't want to try and force things into places where they don't belong. It could just as easily be a wider statement for all three strands; accepting the irreversible, and beginning anew.

Is Braid about the atomic bomb? Yes, clearly from the text in the epilogue even ignoring everything else.

Is Braid only about the atomic bomb? No, equally clearly.

Downloaded this on thursday and took an initial quick run through a few levels.

Lovely presentation and an interesting, initially confusing, game mechanic.

Your post revealing an entire subtext is great and am glad I read it before I continue with the game as now I'll be enjoying a narrative on an extra level than i would have previously.

Thanks. ^_^

Is Braid about the atomic bomb? Yes, clearly from the text in the epilogue even ignoring everything else.

Is Braid only about the atomic bomb? No, equally clearly.

Well, before I read this, I thought the epilogue was saying that the story was about obsession in general, with the different epilogue screens being seperate examples. This is the first time I've seen it suggested that the atomic bomb stuff goes beyond that one screen.

I recognised the 'we are all sons of bitches'/atomic bomb reference, but the rest of your interpretation is extremely interesting. I'm about to start a new playthrough to get the stars, so I'm looking forward to taking in the narrative with this revelation fresh in my mind.

Well, before I read this, I thought the epilogue was saying that the story was about obsession in general, with the different epilogue screens being seperate examples. This is the first time I've seen it suggested that the atomic bomb stuff goes beyond that one screen.

I'd spotted the Manhattan reference in one of the books, but I think some of the other stuff may be over reaching slightly. The semaphore flags don't strike me as being specific to the bomb for example, they seem applicable to any reasonable value of Princess.

Wow, great work Lewis.

Naysayers be damned- Braid is art. So many themes, so many different stories to be told, and all from such a haze of ambiguity... There's clearly no specific answer about what the game's actually about, and yet nearly all of the suggestions made so far have been equally mindblowing. God bless you, Mr. Blow!

I'm sure that someone must have posted these links in the main Braid thread, but they have less chance of getting lost here. Also that thread is a lot more about how great the gameplay is.

There is an interview on Gamasutra with David Hellman regarding the development and changing art style of the game (some great concept screenshots too):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3753...creating_a_.php

His website also has lots of stuff on the game:

http://www.davidhellman.net/

Putting "braid" and "nuclear" into Google seems to imply that "Braid" might actually be a nuclear physics term. God knows I can't make head nor tails of it though.

I just went and read all the pre-world books with this in mind and I don't think the princess can solely represent the bomb. There are numerous references to the princess in the world 2 books where I think you would have to really stretch.

My interpretation of it was a little more base; a braid being a pattern created by three or more interwoven strands or threads. Hence why that one particular paragraph in which the one female voice is split into three caught my attention.

It's also the absolute proof, if ever such a thing was needed that something like Braid can be any number of things; stylistically, a homage to 2D platformers of old, the play on the hero/princess stories we've been sold any number of times over the years, the take on jealously and obsession... I presented my argument the way that I did because it's the one angle that I don't think has been commented on yet, and I'm of the opinion that there is sufficient evidence to support it.

I just went and read all the pre-world books with this in mind and I don't think the princess can solely represent the bomb. There are numerous references to the princess in the world 2 books where I think you would have to really stretch.

Absolutely, the references made to her differ wildly in tone and meaning throughout the game. But see above; I'm trying to pick out the one strand out of a number that could (legitimately, and with good enough reason) be pulled.

Putting "braid" and "nuclear" into Google seems to imply that "Braid" might actually be a nuclear physics term. God knows I can't make head nor tails of it though.

Well the paper that comes top is to do with modelling the world lines of a number of particles undergoing Brownian motion as a single braid. I was expecting to find a link about preons and loop quantum gravity.

The initial idea LQD and some other quantum gravity theories was to model space-time as a network of discrete points connected together into a network, rather than as the continuous thing it appears to be at the macroscopic scale, and model particles as things at those points. This is quite a hard thing to do, but it does solve a lot of problems in physics, it gets rid of all those annoying infinities that have to be carefully brushed under the carpet, but leaves you with two distinct things, the space-time graph and the particles at its points. Other people have realised that instead of modelling the particles at things at the points of the graph they could model the particles themselves as braids within the graph.

They've had rather limited success so far, but it's a really neat idea.

Just a half-baked theory (I'm sat at work, and can't really research the other books to see how it fits, but reading roBurky's quotes from world 2 set the cogs in motion)

Imagine that Tim is a person who perceives all time in reverse ... what would an apocalyptic nuclear event look like to him? He'd be going from a bleak and dark aftermath, to the nice fluffy pre-nuclear world. Or, as it says in the world 2 into:

For Tim this would be momentous, sparking an intense light that embraces the world, a light that reveals the secrets long kept from us, that illuminates - or materialises! - a final palace where we can exist in peace.

Meanwhile, for the rest of us, who perceive time "normally" (or, from Tim's point of view, "contrariwise"):

But how would this be percieved by the other residents of the city, in the world that flows contrariwise? The light would be intense and warm at the beginning, but then flicker down to nothing, taking the castle with it; it would be like burning down the place we've always called home, where we played so innocently as children. Destroying all hope of safety, forever.

So, my theory is, Tim is somebody doomed to experience time in reverse (hence the confusion about women falling in love with him, when they're really falling *out* of love with him). And I'm sticking with this mad, half-backed theory until a better one comes along.... (probably some time later today)

Oh man, thanks for this. tl;dr at the moment, but I will when I get home. I am one of the people who only realised the story when I got to the end.

Shep: That quote I posted was from World 1, where time does flow in reverse. That's why it talks about Tim flowing contrary to everyone else.

Excellent stuff Lewis! :lol: Good read! :)

Yeah great stuff. I didnt enjoy the demo, but I enjoyed reading about it.

Have you got any ideas on how the castle would fit into this interpretation? Why is the princess always in another castle? Why is she never in yours? Whats with the castle at the end?

I've looked into this myself, and there was an area in the Pacific called "Castle Bravo" that they used for testing hydrogen bombs in the fifties that resulted in contamination of nearby islands, but that seems a little weak for a theme that runs so far throughout the game.

Any ideas on the reoccuring wine too?

Sterling work on the theory :huh: ; I was left totally bemused by the end, but this thread has reignited my interest ten fold. I started work on practicing speed runs today while checking the story over for other ideas, theories and links ;)

EDIT: The testing was codenamed "Operation Castle" by the way - otherwise that really is a weak link!

Excellent post, very interesting read. I'd noticed the stuff about the princess being referred to in a number of different ways (particularly in the epilogue), but had never looked at it from that perspective.