• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 Timmo

Timmo

Internationally renowned idiot

• Members
  • 23708 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

No, it's called Blood Bank and is four new songs.

The last song has a nice use of vocoder. By which I mean it's hideous. The rest is great though.

#62 cleandemon

cleandemon
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

It's all fantastic. Nice to hear some new stuff. You can get 'Wisconsin' off iTunes, it was the b-side to For Emma. Just Justin and an organ, beautiful.

Anyway I uploaded that Live De La Semaine thing:

http://www.mediafire.com/?enyxxmdeyuz

Thanks for this. I've been wanting to get hold of a live show since the Manchester gig as the live versions of the songs are so different from the record, I want to hear them again.

#63 McNeillR

McNeillR
  • Members
  • 10001 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for this. I've been wanting to get hold of a live show since the Manchester gig as the live versions of the songs are so different from the record, I want to hear them again.

You have a copy or are looking a copy of the Manchester show?

#64 cleandemon

cleandemon
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

I don't have a copy of it, no. I just meant I was pleased to get hold of any live show recording.

Of course, the Manchester show would be great, if anyone has it.

#65 mrzany

mrzany
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

I'm a little disappointed with it to be honest (the Blood Bank EP), but I did have doubts before listening. I don't think he'll ever top 'For Emma, Forever Ago', just as Beirut will never come up with a better album than 'Gulag Orkestar'. They'll continue writing OK songs, but nothing great.

Blood Bank (the song) is quite good, but I think it just tails off after that really. I've not even been able to listen to the last track entirely, as in, I don't really want to!

#66 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

I don't have a copy of it, no. I just meant I was pleased to get hold of any live show recording.

Of course, the Manchester show would be great, if anyone has it.

Wouldn't it.

I'd want to be on the credits for my efforts in the background harmony. ^_^

#67 Timmo

Timmo

• Members
  • 23708 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

I just realised that he sounds loads like Chris Martin in the song Blood Bank. ^_^

#68 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

I just realised that he sounds loads like Chris Martin in the song Blood Bank. :)

I'd know if I had it ;)

When's it coming out?

#69 Nate Dogg III

Nate Dogg III
  • Members
  • 9658 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

I'm a little disappointed with it to be honest (the Blood Bank EP), but I did have doubts before listening. I don't think he'll ever top 'For Emma, Forever Ago'

Was talking to the wife about this the other day - there is simply no way he can ever re-create the environment that album was recorded in. He might top it - maybe - but he's never again going to retire to a cabin heartbroken and skint etc etc etc.

At the same time a listen to the live stuff shows that he definitely has talent, and how successfully he challenges expectations by recreating the album's songs live bodes well enough for the future.

The EP's okay - only the third track really stands out for me, Blood Bank itself is okayish and that tune with the vocoder is appalling - and I don't expect to hear another album like For Emma in my whole life from anyone, never mind from him. Just an absolute instant classic, a product of an environment that can never be repeated, if that's not too hyperbolic.

#70 Clov

Clov
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

Not knocking the album at all, but after reading Nate Dogg's post I'm just struck by how cleverly marketed this record was. The whole heartbroken, skint, log-cabin thing was from the press release, no? I mean, it's a stunning record, a classic, but is nobody the slightest bit suspicious that the whole isolation story is just too convenient to be the actual truth? The album itself wasn't recorded in isolation, was it?

It reminds me of when people talk about Heath Ledger's TDK performance affecting his mental health.

#71 Nate Dogg III

Nate Dogg III
  • Members
  • 9658 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

Not knocking the album at all, but after reading Nate Dogg's post I'm just struck by how cleverly marketed this record was. The whole heartbroken, skint, log-cabin thing was from the press release, no? I mean, it's a stunning record, a classic, but is nobody the slightest bit suspicious that the whole isolation story is just too convenient to be the actual truth? The album itself wasn't recorded in isolation, was it?

It reminds me of when people talk about Heath Ledger's TDK performance affecting his mental health.

To be fair a story like that markets itself; you can't not hang the album on it.

I have no idea where he actually recorded the final thing but I don't think it matters because to me it sounds like the whole thing was recorded in one sitting by the dim light of an oil lamp in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere at daft o'clock in the morning.

Sure, you can argue that the record wouldn't have got the same attention had the press release not borne the tale of its origin, but by the same token I don't think you'd have got anywhere near the same record if he wasn't in that situation to begin with.

#72 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

It wasn't a setup though, we at least know that he did it and released it on his own. It was only when the album was heard, along with the background to it that the release went big via marketing.

I'd like to think, hope, that they heard the album first, and the story just gave them a good angle.

Personally, I know that I heard the album without knowing anything about it. I got a message off my brother, who'd got a message of his friend to say give this bunch of bands a whirl (I can't remember the other bands). I got the album, sat on it for a while, then finally stuck it on as I was chilling out in this hostel room back in Malaysia. After the first song I decided I needed a shower, so I turned it up so I could hear it down the hall (There wasn't anyone else in the hostel).

I stood in the shower, listening, thinking just how amazing it was, I wanted to relisten to it before it had finished.

#73 superpretend

superpretend
  • Members
  • 4980 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

The EP is called Blood Bank.

That crazy autotune a capella track is great.

#74 dragz

dragz
  • Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

That crazy autotune a capella track is great.

I agree, although I can see why people hate it. The EP is ok, not as good as the album, but then it was never going to be.

#75 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

Can't remember where I got this from now:

http://www.mediafire...2db6fb9a8902bda

Bon Iver Live at the Parish.

Figured it's worth a share, always nice to hear a well recorded live set.

#76 Nate Dogg III

Nate Dogg III
  • Members
  • 9658 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

Oh sweet.

Thanks very much roskelld.

#77 Timmo

Timmo

• Members
  • 23708 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

This album has elevated itself to one of my favourites ever. From start to finish it's absolutely all grown on me. It's at its best when driving late at night. Hands down the record of 2008!

#78 Omizzay

Omizzay
  • Members
  • 3573 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Absolutely stunning version of Feist's "The Park" - http://stereogum.com.....20On JJJ).mp3

#79 stephen129

stephen129
  • Members
  • 5956 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've just discovered The MySpace Transmissions, which is basically artists performing a few of their songs live for MySpace. This is Bon Iver's one.

There's a beautiful version of For Emma on there, and an extra long version of Blindsided.

Youtube videos:

For Emma
Blindsided
Lump Sum
Flume

#80 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11306 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

There's a French website that does lots of stuff like that, called the Concerts A Emporter I think. That's well worth checking out too, the vids should be on You Tube. Oh, and check out the Andrew Bird ones as well.

#81 Blu3Flame

Blu3Flame
  • Members
  • 8435 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

It's worth checking out his older stuff if you can.

(Solo)
Justin Vernon - Self-Titled
Justin Vernon - Hazeltons

Links to a couple of tracks from Hazeltons
http://hypem.com/tra...n Vernon - Easy
http://hypem.com/tra...rnon - hazelton

(Previous Band)
DeYarmond Edition - Silent Signs

Track from this album.
http://hypem.com/tra... - Silent Signs

#82 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

#83 Kebabilicious

Kebabilicious
  • Members
  • 2269 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

I really, really hope this isn't my album of the year because anything that tops it is going to have to be something absolutely extraordinary.

Am I the only one that's preferring the album to the live stuff? The production's the best thing about it.

Man i agree, the production is what makes the album. T His is honestly one of my favorite albums ever. Every time i listen to it i feel warm in my tummy! Got me through some rough times. It is so so so so good. i haven't got bored yet. every time i put it on there is a new favorite song. It is incredible.

I'll never forget the night i got kicked out of my house by my mum. Driving at 3 in the morning nobody on the road listening to that. I lit a cigarette, put the album on and completely forgot about all my problems. I was going through hell. As cheesy as that sounds. I drove until the album was over because i didn't want to stop listening to it. Powerful.

#84 Rorschach

Rorschach
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

'Take away show' in English, yeah? Haven't looked at that site in ages. It's deeply, deeply indie.

*edit*

Cheers for reminding me of that place. Fleet Foxes without the echo. Vincent moon is a bit of a prick with all the desaturation, crappy editing, and 'capturing a unique moment' bullshit.

#85 Elliott

Elliott
  • Members
  • 1958 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

When I forget my iPod, in college all I listen to is Daytrotter sessions.

I was listening to Bon Iver's one and Flume and I ashamedly admit I may have cried a little. Just a bit. I did just break up with my girlfriend too. But, you know. What an album.

#86 Blu3Flame

Blu3Flame
  • Members
  • 8435 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

http://open.spotify....ytQv9iN5sw6SFvn
Eau Claire Memorial Jazz Ensemble I, Featuring Justin Vernon - A Decade With Duke

Worth checking out.

#87 stephen129

stephen129
  • Members
  • 5956 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

New self-titled album coming June 20th.

Posted Image

Tracklist:

Perth
Minnesota, WI
Holocene
Towers
Michicant
Hinnom, TX
Wash.
Calgary
Lisbon, OH
Beth/Rest

#88 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 28126 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Lovely cover art.

#89 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Members
  • 10984 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:20 AM

Really beautiful.

Love Bon Iver, looking forward to this.

Worth checking out 'S Carey', it's one of the guys from Bon Iver who did his own thing for a bit. Nice tunes.

#90 stephen129

stephen129
  • Members
  • 5956 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

I was reading some reviews on Amazon for For Emma, Forever Ago and I found this little gem:

how and why does such a poor record acieve such notoriety. I listened to this because of the Hype wish i listened to public enemy

Also this may not be to everyone's tastes, but I am really liking this cover of Skinny Love, I definitely wasn't that talented at the age of 14:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users