64 replies to this topic

#1 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Sweet jesus, this is complicated.

So far I know thus:

How to get around, attack etc. Is picking up missions the only thing to do for the first while? I'm not entirely sure how to progress bar make money and buy more ships - which seems hard considering there's always something I cant buy due to a skills/talent defecit.

Anyone got any beginers tips? Is it worth keeping at?

#2 stoo

stoo
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Join the "bennyhill" channel, where there are (usually) a few knowledgeable Eve rllmukkers.

Other income sources depend on your starting skillset:
  • Mining can be a reasonable source of income for a frigate upgrade. Each race has a mining frigate (the bonus to mining increases with the level of the frigate skill, but you only need [...] Frigate level 1 to fly the ship). You'll also need the mining skill.
  • Playing the market is always an option, but you'll need some trade skills, money to invest and some market awareness. (I suspect that I'd lose money here...).
  • DED Deadspace complexes are a bit like freeform missions, where the objective is acquiring items off bosses (and possibly selling them to NPC agents). There are typically several deadspace "rooms", separated by keyed gates. Unfortunately in highsec they can be a bit busy. They're on the map and appear as objects you can warp to in space, like stations and gates. A new pilot should be able to manage 1/10 and maybe 2/10 complexes in a good ship.
  • Piracy is actually feasible with a new character, as long as they start out with combat focused skills. You'll need the propulsion jamming skill to fit warp jammers and a particular mindset. Be aware that you'll lose security status for acts of piracy and may be barred from high sec, shot at by gate/station guns in low sec and that you will lose ships.

#3 zuum

zuum
  • Members
  • 3734 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi Droo,

yes, it's definitely worth persevering with. It can be a little tricky to get into at first given that most of the game including some basic functions are undocumented but it'll start to come together pretty quickly.

The game is more or less totally open ended. You can mission if you like but you can also make money from mining, ratting, trading, manufacturing, salvaging, stealing, robbing etc. Missions are a good way to start as they impose a structure in the early days which is absent from much of the game and can help you focus a little. They're a good way to earn money and learn control of your ship(s).

What kind of missions are you doing? I was stuck doing courier missions for a couple of days when I started because that's how the game directed me and I didn't have a clue about how to do anything different.

As stoo said the in game channel bennyhill is where a few of the rllmuk players gather. Don't be afraid to say hello and ask if you have any questions (and I'm sure you will).

#4 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Ok, i gave up last time, but took another 14 day trial.

This time (on a better computer, incidently) i've given it a bit more time, compelted all the tutorials and even started the 'Epic Arc' series of missions.

I'm going to try for the DED complexes, but I dont know where to begin...

I've been told I wont be able to get too far with the Epic Arc storyline as it gets hard, quickly?

Any new / updated advice for me?

#5 Hawklord

Hawklord
  • Supporters
  • 1579 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

I just started a trial as well. I'm only about half way through the first set of "Career" missions. It's does remind me of Elite but more so the MS game Freelancer. Not sure I can dedicate the time that's needed though. And I suppose that's the point of the game. the more you spend online the better the "experience"

#6 pulsemyne

pulsemyne
  • Members
  • 6731 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

As per usual just join the channel called bennyhill and we shall impart our wisdom unto you. And also possibly some money.

#7 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Im in that channel!

#8 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6568 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Whats your in game name? I am based in the Gallente area so could help you out a bit.

#9 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Point Spyglass...

(dont ask, it happened to be on the back of a book)

#10 Yswr

Yswr
  • Supporters
  • 5594 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

Don't get disheartened if you feel it's all a bit much, it took me 4 tries to stick with it.

#11 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

Has anything at all been done to make this game more accessible in the last 12 months? I really liked the whole concept but even the most basic things were confusing (what range should I fight from? what should I fit my ship with, how do i even KNOW what to fit it with unless I read guides of epic proportions, what weapon types to use and what balance of weps/defenses to use in slots etc) and when I tried to join the Uni (which I thought would be noob friendly) I just got bombarded with too much info.

WTB a full on "Idiots guide to Eve", if only such a thing existed and was less than 100 chapters.... <_<

#12 zuum

zuum
  • Members
  • 3734 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

They've done lots of work on the new player part of the game but, yeah, it's still pretty much the weakest bit of the whole thing. I have to admit when I played WoW I was shocked by how accessible it is compared to Eve; they've obviously taken a lot of time and care over the whole thing.

#13 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8230 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

WTB a full on "Idiots guide to Eve", if only such a thing existed and was less than 100 chapters.... :)

I need this too please, played for an hour last night and my head almost burst.

#14 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

Playing and asking works best I've found mate. So many channels are full of "lol noob" cocks which doesnt help, even my Corp channel (cunts), most of who have forgotten how complicated this all is to a beginner.

However, bennhyhill channel is where dreams are made! All the RLLMUK guys in there are awesome and patient and really know their shit. Big thanks to Beychae who has had more than his fair share of questions from me lately <3

I'll be on tonight, see you there hopefully

#15 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

I've managed to move my Caldari toon into a Moa this week and instead of asking the usual what's the best equipment and weapon loadout? questions that you see on a lot of EvE forums, could someone point me towards a site that'll tell me what each piece of equipment does what? Being a total noob, I can accept that even a resource such as the one I'm asking for might be over my head but I'm willing to put in the research time and try to get my head around it all.

My main 'thing' is trying to figure out (for myself) which items I should be considering for a given application or playstyle. Do I want a shield hardener? Or a shield booster? Or both? Does an all-round shield hardener give a penalty when I use a specific kinetic hardener? What about an intertia stabilser? What's one of them in the first place? Do I want one? Is overdrive better than an afterburner? What's with overdrive I and II? Do the II's mean that they're intended for bigger ships only? Cruise missiles? Heavy missles? Rail guns? Rail gun II? Nano fibre? Micro warp drive? Webbie? Hnnnnnng!!

All I need is to find a site that'll allow me to start reading up on everything I've asked and the thousands of other questions that I have. Is there a site that I can access from the in-game browser?

Would you guys be able to throw me the bone I'm looking for, please?

#16 pulsemyne

pulsemyne
  • Members
  • 6731 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Not too sure on a site but I can point you in a good direction with the fit of your ship.

You bought a Moa. The Moa is a Caldari ship which means it can use wither missiles or railguns. Unlike most caldari ships the Moa is a railgun ship. If you look at the ships description on the marketplace (or just by showing the info of the ship) you can see it has bonuses for railguns (Hybrid guns they are refered to but it just means rails). So you fit railguns. As for which rails well you can only fit medium rails on it (if you try to fit large then it won't work as the ship does have enough power grid).
As with all weapons in the game there are Tech one versions and Tech two versions. Tech one versions are used by people wh don;t have the skills to use tech two they are simply better versions of the tech one items. Tech one stuff (for hybrid guns) doesn't have the range or raw firepower of the tech two versions. Because of the skills required you won't be able to use them for now.
As for your mid slots well again because its a caldari ship it means its a shield tanker i.e its defense are based purely on the strength of its shield. So typicall what you want is a big shield with good resists to damage. This is usually done by fitting the ships with a medium shield extender (more hit points) and then chuncking on a few items to boost the resists (invunerabilty field for example will increase your resistance to all types of damage). Penelties only come into play when you fit two of the same item for example if you fitted two kinetic hardners then the second one becomes a bit useless because of the penelty so waht most peopl do is hit say and kinetic hardner and a thermal hardner thus both resist get the boost with no penelty.
Taking dmage and resists is one thing but being able to repair your shields is VITAL. You can have the best resists in the world but if you cannot get your shields back then your stuffed. So Always (espically on a Moa) fit a shield booster. The booster repairs your shield thus allowing you to battle on for longer.
I really should write another post for ship fitting as we have quite a number of new people.

#17 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

This is absolutely brilliant info, thanks very much. BUT..

Where did you pick this knowledge up? Take me to your supply! :)

#18 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

I know what you are saying Xib, I long for a site similar to Wowhead for WoW that links & describes all items and user comments are there etc but I cant find one neither. Are you still in Bennyhill, not seen you for ages? Eventually I just gave into the fact that I'll have to be a nuisance and just started firing questions out like a Vulcan Autocannon II, after a short while you start bridging the gaps yourself as you get a grip for how more parts of the game work. As I'm joining Eve Uni I've had a look at their forums and there are some great resources there for beginners, maybe you should sign up asap?

That said, I still know fuck all but infinitely more than I did a couple of weeks ago!

#19 Beychae

Beychae
  • Members
  • 1180 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

Truthfully most of the info is in peoples heads and not written down simply due to the amount the game can change update by update that it becomes a total pain to keep all the info current.

regarding fittings look in the ships section of eve-o sadly the eve-o search is shit so I use http://www.eve-search.com/ or on battleclinic also look at eve fitting tool as well, that can help you fit your ships within your abilities.

Also ask in channel, we remember just how frustrating the game can be at the beginning so were not put out by questions.

#20 pulsemyne

pulsemyne
  • Members
  • 6731 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

This is absolutely brilliant info, thanks very much. BUT..

Where did you pick this knowledge up? Take me to your supply! <_<

As baychea said all my knowledge comes from palying the game for nearly 4 years and making epic mistake after epic mistake. The thing is it does all make sense in the end as made as it seems. Having said that when people like myself and xtown started we had Gorf king (miserable old bastard!) who showed us the ropes and we learnt a lot. Now the shoe is on the other foot and we can help teach you about the game.

Fuck it I'll write a guide to ships.

#21 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

Are you still in Bennyhill, not seen you for ages?

I re-rolled a Caldari character called Aebraham and I haven't done much with him except to log in and set up the next 24 hours worth of training. I'll be playing a bit more on Friday night so I'll join Bennyhill for a blether with you guys then.

Thanks for the help too, guys. I'll nab myself a note opad from work and start scribbling what I learn! <_<

#22 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

Call me Captain Remedial, but thanks to Beychae's links, I've just found a nice little starter guide.

#23 zuum

zuum
  • Members
  • 3734 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

That Battleclinic guide looks pretty good. The Eve Online forums themselves are pretty good too as are the ones on Scrapheap Challenge. I used to wonder about the lack of a good, fundamental guide myself but I've since come to the realisation that the whole thing is completely situational and hence impossible to document properly, which probably isn't that useful a response I know.

#24 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

Pretty awesome find that guide Xib, cheers

#25 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Pretty awesome find that guide Xib, cheers

No bother at all, mate. I think it explains the very basics quite well which is exactly what I was looking for. I found the explanation of CAP, Grid and CPU to be really informative as well as learning the basic learning and attribute skills being imprtant too.

#26 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15216 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Is it worth doing The Blood-Stained Stars? I heard it was pretty easy.

Also, I trained up basic missiles and then defender missiles and then fitted a launcher to my ship. Loaded it up with some defender missiles (obviously) and nipped out to kill some rats. However, for some reason the missiles just would NOT fire. Even though I had targets locked, whenever I clicked the missile launcher module it just kept saying 'no targets in range'. And this was at like 500 or so metres in some instances. Any ideas?

#27 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

Is it worth doing The Blood-Stained Stars? I heard it was pretty easy.

Also, I trained up basic missiles and then defender missiles and then fitted a launcher to my ship. Loaded it up with some defender missiles (obviously) and nipped out to kill some rats. However, for some reason the missiles just would NOT fire. Even though I had targets locked, whenever I clicked the missile launcher module it just kept saying 'no targets in range'. And this was at like 500 or so metres in some instances. Any ideas?

The epic mission arc is well worth doing imo, good experience and good rewards, only about 2-3 hard missions in it.
I used this guide to help http://keithneilson....ion-arc-part-1/

As for missiles;

Defender missiles are light anti-missile rockets that can be fired from all missile launchers in EVE. They are designed to intercept and neutralize incoming rockets, although in some cases it may need several defender missiles to destroy one incoming missile (such as torpedoes and cruise missiles). Defender missiles target incoming warheads on their own, and will not fire unless a volley is incoming, at which point they will autofire until there are no more missiles to target or manually stopped. They are generally most effective when used with the cruiser-sized Assault Missile Launcher, due to it's high refire rate and the larger capacity when compared to Standard Launchers

It will depend on what you are fitting but I expect its Light missles you will be needing to load.

#28 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15216 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Another chapter for SM47's Book of Eve Humiliation.

So the module will auto-activate whenever someone launches a rocket at me?

EDIT: No. No it won't. Curses!

#29 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

EDIT - I dont know :facepalm:

#30 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11204 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

I should be pottering around in my Moa this evening. Will you guys be on, too?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users