Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

• Please log in to reply
4410 replies to this topic

#2911 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20672 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nice haul. I keep popping in here to lust over the retro stuff. When I settle down, I'm planning on a proper retro gaming set up like that mental dude with all the consoles hooked up to a massive telly :D

#2912 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5001 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

"I've only got a tenner" can do the trick

Shit! SeanR following me at boorfair!!!

Yes, thats exactly what I said

#2913 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106633 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Oldest trick in the book. Keeping notes in seperate pockets.

See also: loose change purchases

"a pound? I've only got (75/60/50) in change left"

#2914 Fizzycat

Fizzycat
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

lots of traditional gaming today!

Posted Image

the board games were £15 for all, VERY happy to have judge dredd! the box to D&D is very VERY bleached but contents are mint
pink game boy pocket and pokemon yellow: £1
skaven warrior metals MIP £2
pokemon dolls 50p each
dark crystal dvd £1

very happy with the boardgames :D good week of game nights await!

#2915 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9058 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Anyone else go today?

Yes I went.. and got sod all!* I'm jealous :)

* not strictly true, got Epic Mickey (3) and Ace Combat Distant Thunder on PS2, but that's it.

#2916 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9058 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

...! the box to D&D is very VERY bleached but contents are mint

:lol: you aren't kidding, where had they been keeping that? I assume it's the Red Starter set?

Nice finds though.

#2917 MikeBeaver

MikeBeaver
  • Supporters
  • 1335 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Didn't go out today, but picked up Zaxxon the Board game from a Charity shop on Friday for £2 :)

#2918 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5001 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well done Mike! I've been on the lookout for that one!

#2919 Fizzycat

Fizzycat
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

:lol: you aren't kidding, where had they been keeping that? I assume it's the Red Starter set?

Nice finds though.

Yep, red starter set :) will probably give it as a gift to a local DM I know; he loves all the older DND stuff

#2920 X_2_0

X_2_0
  • Members
  • 1177 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Fizzycat - I picked up a copy of Civilization on a boot last year, so many counters !!

I never got round to playing it.

I didnt go today, but this is what i got last week.

Posted Image

Not much gaming wise except a copy of Parappa the rapper for £2.00

Great for Star Wars though !

The Halo Pelican was £1.50 - it's missing its original canopy though.

Arc fighter £5.00

And amazingly a boxed falcon £15 !!

When I saw the seller showing it to some guy i thought i had missed out, but that guy didnt want it so I was straight in.

It is missing a few bits but overall is in good nick. Proof that there are still bargains out there !

#2921 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15172 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I got a few good buys today but also had loads of eBay talk.

On eBay talk, I went in to cash generator last weekend and they had their usual stack of ps1 rubbish there for 1 each. Among them was a limited edition of driver 2. It had the outer box and 3 art cards. The game itself was missing the manual and the discs were scratched to pieces. The soundtrack and something else was missing Still, not seen one before so nice for the collection. It didn't have a price on.

I took it to the till and the guy serving said he would check the price. He wandered off to his mate at the top of the shop and they tapped away on a computer for literally 5 minutes. A queue of about 5 people had formed by this point.

He came back and says:

"The cheapest used price on amazon is 9.99 so I can let you have it for...

I politely declined his offer and walked out. I checked the amazon listing and their were about 3 listings at 9.99, 2 of them complete in very good condition.

#2922 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15172 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Anyway, did get today:

Mass effect 2 360 3
Sim city ds 1
Driver san Francisco ps3 4
Grim fandango, oblivion, icewind dale 50p each.

Beat find was coming across a box of random pc tat in a box. Usual demo discs and the like. The sellers says 6 for a 1. I turn the first pc pro freebie over and unearth final fantasy vii. 2 minutes later I walk away with ffvii, Diablo ii, warcraft 3 and 3 others I can't remember for a pound.

#2923 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15172 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Had a quiet gaming day today (50p mario kart DD, 3 DS games to trade in with my ds at game for the extra £25 offer, for £5) but did get:

An ipod shuffle 3rd gen 2Gb (I think)
An ipod nano 1st gen 4Gb (slightely broken screen but perfect for the car)

for £8 the pair.

#2924 Fizzycat

Fizzycat
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

excellent day for me today! seems an employee/ex employee of a game store was clearing out:

Posted Image
mega drive and master system bundle: £5 the lot!

Posted Image
speed freaks box set: £3
digital devil saga 2: £1
mass effect £2
sonic 20th anniversary pack, guides and dead island novel: £1 each

Posted Image
promo tshirts : £2 each

Posted Image
mortal kombat drawstring bag: 50p
MW3 intel pack (with DLC condes unused) £1
Black ops cel - 50p
retro gamer mags: 20p each

very happy! :)

#2925 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5001 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Posted Image
P1090098 by superquincy, on Flickr

Barcode Battler, GB Pocket with 5 Games, various MD carts £10 the lot (from the same seller)
Master System games 50p each

That was it for today (and I went to 3 different car boots!)

#2926 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Speed freaks with multitap :wub:

#2927 Still-life

Still-life
  • Members
  • 1382 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Great finds. I am utterly gutted, first weekend of decent weather. Off with the family to our normal bootsale, first few rows showed nothing but my hopes held high.. Halfway through still nothing and by 3/4 I knew today would most likely be a bust. I am not saying I found things I felt were too expensive or that I just missed out a great find. There was absolutely nothing, I didn't see a single big box game, one console (old xbox crystal, that clearly didn't work) and a few traders with ps2 games and that was it.. Not a sausage.

Grrrr. Feeling at a low ebb at the moment with bootsales, almost to the point where I can't be arsed. Rather enjoy a lie in on Sunday or if I am up and the family want to sleep I could play Diablo 3 :)

Very jealous of your great finds today.

#2928 MikeBeaver

MikeBeaver
  • Supporters
  • 1335 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I cut the rows today and because of that I missed out on a boxed snes with a bag full of boxed games including Zelda LttP, I don't need them, but even now, about7 hours later, I am still feeling quite unhappy about it :(

Did get a few bits and pieces, but it is to be expected when you manage to hit 4 bootsales in a morning :P

#2929 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9058 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I cut the rows today and because of that I missed out on a boxed snes with a bag full of boxed games including Zelda LttP, I don't need them, but even now, about7 hours later, I am still feeling quite unhappy about it :(

That's possibly my worst nightmare (second only to actually reaching the stall as someone buys it!).. I feel your pain! :(

Got very little myself:

Posted Image

Pokemon Gold & Silver - £3 for both
Eternal Darkness - £1
Mario Party 8 - £3
Street Fighter Ex3 - £1
Atari 2600 Games (Combat, Space Invaders and Indy 500) - £1
Silent Scope Complete - 50p
Ghost Castle - £2

I passed on a couple fo tatty Megadrives and a boxed PsOne, but there wasn't really anything else on offer. Hopefully things will pick up as weather improves....hopefully :unsure:

#2930 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5553 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ghost castle! I want that for my 7-year old.

#2931 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27867 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Wow! Ghost Castle! Now there's a blast from the past.

#2932 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9058 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yeah took me back too.. Thought the least I could do is give it a good home! :)

#2933 Carlos Valderrama

Carlos Valderrama
  • Supporters
  • 22924 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

We've all been there! It still makes me feel sad when I think about seeing a bloke wandering around with a boxed SNES and around 30 boxed games including the staples like LttP and Mario kart, but also NTSC games like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma. He was a trader and had the box in his boot later on - I asked him for a look and if he was selling but he said they were eBay bound and that he'd haggled the guy down from 20 quid to 17 for the lot. I wept inside.

#2934 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27867 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

In the attic again. Came across about 10 GBA games, including Zelda, Mario Kart and Final Fight One.

Found a very, very old issue of Sinclair User, possibly the 12th or something like that. It's full of adverts for ZX81 repair services and has interview with Sandy White BEFORE Ant Attack.

Along with Knight Lore I've now found Terra Cresta, Decathlon, and the OCP Art Studio c/w Lenslok!

Also, what appear to about 75 issues of Retro Gamer.

#2935 whopper101

whopper101
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

In the attic again. Came across about 10 GBA games, including Zelda, Mario Kart and Final Fight One.

Found a very, very old issue of Sinclair User, possibly the 12th or something like that. It's full of adverts for ZX81 repair services and has interview with Sandy White BEFORE Ant Attack.

Along with Knight Lore I've now found Terra Cresta, Decathlon, and the OCP Art Studio c/w Lenslok!

Also, what appear to about 75 issues of Retro Gamer.

Whoa! freaky, only game i spotted at car boot sale on Sunday was KNIGHT LORE! on Spectrum

#2936 whopper101

whopper101
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Whats everyones "fish that got away" at car boot sales theyve seen other people walking around with?

There was a boxed Sega Master System Arcade set with light gun and all sitting on a sellers table once, asked how much it was, seller looked at me blankly, then a voice from a guy rummaging through a box under the table popped his head up, "Thats mine mate, Ive already bought that". Not only did he call me mate in a derogatory manner, he had Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 in his hand from the box. Turd.

#2937 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15172 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I love 'that's mine incidents. Once I innocently started rifling through a bag of CDs on the floor by a table, picked out a few and asked the seller how much. She replied with, "ummmm, they're not mine". The women bent over in front of me shot up, span around and started giving me abuse.

It was a bag, on the floor by a sellers table. What the hell else was I supposed to think?

#2938 Tim

Tim
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

This is isn't one of mine but thought it would be worthy of a post in this thread, a Greek gamer had a shufty in the bins outside a toyshop last year and blogged his find:

http://cubimension.net/blog/?p=1470

I read about it on Game Asylum:

http://www.gamesasyl...y/retro/page/4/

Great find.

#2939 MagicalDrop

MagicalDrop
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

My 'one that got away' tale - about 8 boxed Game & Watches, got to the table just as the other guy was paying. I waited til he was walking off then struck up conversation. He knew they were worth something but not really how much but wasn't interested on selling them to me there and then because he wanted to look them up on ebay. Aargh!

#2940 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9058 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Not retro related in the slightest but picked up immaculate copies of "God of War 3" and "God of War Collection" on PS3 for £2.99 each from a charity shop recently!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users