Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

• Please log in to reply
4487 replies to this topic

#2641 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15207 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

About 30-40 for the 32X. The games vary - 5-10 for the common titles, but the rarer ones like Knuckles, Kolibri and T-Mek can break 100.

Check to see if the GameGear works first - a lot of them have packed up due to the capacitors inside going bad. They can go for 20-30 boxed too.

The capacitor issues are fairly easy to fix though.

#2642 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2454 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Managed to Silent Hill 1, 2 (box version), 3 and 4 in all great condition for 19.50 on e-bay during the weekend. I'd bought Silent Hill 2 just a week before but on an impulse buy (as it was only a few pounds), paid for it without realising it didn't have the instructions and was a little bit marked with a huge sticker on the top corner. Game worked fine but i've decided to sell that one anyway.

#2643 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24290 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Is the 32x worth anything these days? I found my old one with several of them games in the loft. There's a boxed game gear up there too.

I might be interested if you're selling...

#2644 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 21140 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

I will be - I'll let you know what games I have and make sure all the leads are there with it. There's a megadrive in the box too, the new(er) version.

edit: yep, all leads there and 2 megadrive pads - the games are Star Wars Arcade, Metal Head, Doom (all boxed) and Virtua Racing Deluxe (unboxed) - there's a few MD games too (I'll get photos and list them later).

#2645 Swainy

Swainy
  • Members
  • 3274 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

I've wanted a Vectrex ever since I played one way back in 1983 but I've never been able to justify the asking price for one in decent condition.

Anyway, a couple of weeks back a bloke I know mentioned that he had one but the sound didn't work. Anyway I gave home 35 for it as it came with a game (Hyperchase) and the joypad was in good working condition (they are worth 50 alone).

Anyway, I managed to buy a new AY sound chip on eBay for 2 and I've fitted it this afternoon to find that it's sorted the problem :)

Posted Image

#2646 Scouser_In_Exile

Scouser_In_Exile
  • Members
  • 16013 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Any of the SEGA PC-ROM games worth anything? I saw a bunch of them today in the charity shops including Virtua Cop 2, Sega Rally 2, Sonic & Knuckles.

Nope, they were only a couple of quid new (I used to work for the company that published them).

#2647 son of solo

son of solo
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I've wanted a Vectrex ever since I played one way back in 1983 but I've never been able to justify the asking price for one in decent condition.

Anyway, a couple of weeks back a bloke I know mentioned that he had one but the sound didn't work. Anyway I gave home 35 for it as it came with a game (Hyperchase) and the joypad was in good working condition (they are worth 50 alone).

Anyway, I managed to buy a new AY sound chip on eBay for 2 and I've fitted it this afternoon to find that it's sorted the problem :)

Posted Image

nice Vectrex...8 years i used to advertise for these in the free paper before ebay killed it all off, i love mine...the flipper pinball is a probably my favorite game.

#2648 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6454 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Havent been able to get to any boots for the past couple of weeks (and wont be gettign to any tomorrow either).. but I did find mint/complete boxed copies of Shadow of the Beast and Daley Thompsons Olympic Challenge on the Amiga in Cash Convertors of all places.. both for the pricely sum of 20p each! :)

Beast is an odd one. I've just checked Ebay, and it seems to go for anywhere between a fiver and twenty quid. 20p's an absolute bargain.

#2649 RichBG

RichBG
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

The capacitor issues are fairly easy to fix though.

There's a cracking guide on line I've used once or twice:

http://members.optus...b/ggrepair.html

#2650 superstarbeejay

superstarbeejay
  • Members
  • 15207 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Picked up what I believe is one of the rarest PAL 360 retail games. I didn't even know that existed until I saw it today:

Posted Image

https://www.amazon.c...19912541&sr=1-2

cost me 2.99 from GAME of all places.

#2651 rmg

rmg
  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Here's a retro find from my IED manufacturing basement:

Posted Image

"Enhance... and lop off a quarter"

Posted Image

#2652 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Ah, that'll be super contra :blah:

#2653 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Quick nip into Crime Generator on the way home from picking comics up and yoinked these. Total spend: 20.94. Need to check the Day Cycle battery on Pokemon Emerald, though.

#2654 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6454 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Here's a retro find from my IED manufacturing basement:

Fantastic. Have you been able to test it?

I've had two or three Gryzor PCBs in my time, and all three have had sound issues. The hardware on your Super Contra looks slightly different to Gryzor so hopefully Konami made the relevant changes to stop this issue appearing.

#2655 rmg

rmg
  • Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Fantastic. Have you been able to test it?

Sadly no; shortly after taking this photo a marine beat me to death.

(I don't own a Super Contra board, although I do have a couple of Jackal and Yie Ar Kung Fu pcbs, one of the Yie Ar's was a bargain... a fiver I think.)

#2656 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106979 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

there's a copy of MGS3 on PS2 for 2 in a West Wickham charity shop...

#2657 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

First boot fair in ages

Posted Image
All from one seller in the same box. Quoted a pound each so I picked up Worms, THPS4 and Simpsons Wrestling, but as I was paying I enquired on a price for all of them. There were 18 games so I was hoping for £12. The final price? £6 :o

Posted Image
£10 (all from the another seller). Theme Park is immaculate, Spiderman has the comic and poster.

A decent morning

#2658 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9160 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Found a copy of Atic Atac on the Speccy for 20p this afternoon :)

#2659 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2454 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

I just had one of those flashbacks when seeing a certain title that had entirely left my mind, despite not playing it. That car game next to Die Hard Trilogy, is it calle Porche Challenge? The name just popped into my head. I seem to remember it being amazing graphically when it first hit the scene.

#2660 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106979 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

I just had one of those flashbacks when seeing a certain title that had entirely left my mind, despite not playing it. That car game next to Die Hard Trilogy, is it calle Porche Challenge? The name just popped into my head. I seem to remember it being amazing graphically when it first hit the scene.

it is, and it was.

also something something something dual analogue pad.

#2661 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9160 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

At the time it was definitely one of my favourite PS1 racers. But I never want to play it again as I just know my Rose-tinted Specs will be brought sharply back into focus!

#2662 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106979 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

At the time it was definitely one of my favourite PS1 racers. But I never want to play it again as I just know my Rose-tinted Specs will be brought sharply back into focus!

1 car, 6 on-track, 3 environments, 9 track variants, wasn't it?

#2663 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

it is, and it was.

also something something something dual analogue pad.

and the super secret Dual Shock support.

#2664 son of solo

son of solo
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

found a 32X, 6 snes carts and 5 N64 carts for 10quid last sunday.
now i just need to figure out which leads i need for it.
any ideas?

#2665 NonShinyGoose

NonShinyGoose
  • Members
  • 2521 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Did quite well today, I think. Oh who am I kidding? This is my best haul in a long time.

Posted Image

GameCube with Wavebird, memory card and one other controller - 10
Quackshot - 99p (They also had 688 Sub Attack but didn't fancy that)
Final Fantasy VII - 3.99
Shakin' Stevens record - 75p (I'm a secret Viz fan)

Also saw Tiger OSX for Mac, but the disk was missing. Sells for 75 on Amazon!

#2666 Alan Stock

Alan Stock
  • Members
  • 5399 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Just in case anyone wants these before I chuck them; instruction manuals and games to give away, just cover postage and PM me if you want em.

Old PC Games and Software
Hiphop Ejay (no turntable)
Expendable
Warcraft 2, with W!Zone extra maps
Descent 2 (disc only)

Game Instruction Manuals
Aliens Versus Predator (old version) (PC)
Baldur's Gate (PC)
Advance Wars (Gameboy Advance)

#2667 son of solo

son of solo
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

nothing today - the dealers are killing it up here, what they do now is go in with the other sellers and just dump their stuff (1 box of random crap at best), they then buy up everything from the other sellers before the "early birds" even get in. They then make a half arsed attempt to set up just before the doors open for the general public to come in often selling what they've just bought up. They really pi55ed me off today.

#2668 erhgiez

erhgiez
  • Members
  • 1310 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Where was this? I did a boot sale in Otley once and it was just as you described. I took 90% of my money that morning before even the early birds came in.

#2669 whopper101

whopper101
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

nothing today - the dealers are killing it up here, what they do now is go in with the other sellers and just dump their stuff (1 box of random crap at best), they then buy up everything from the other sellers before the "early birds" even get in. They then make a half arsed attempt to set up just before the doors open for the general public to come in often selling what they've just bought up. They really pi55ed me off today.

They are the ultimate c***s, really greedy, evil bottom feeders. Traders did that for a bit at my boots but organisers realised it was happening, now they dont let cars (sellers) in til 700, and buyers in til 730. This way (on a good day) most of the sellers are still queueing up and havent even set up by the time the public get in. The early birds have a chance to catch the worm from the sweaty clammy grasp of the old, nicotine stained, tracky bottom wearing, single, same clothes as last week wearing, no one loves them, traders... so to speak

#2670 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5699 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

It's such a brutal introduction to selling at a car boot too, we did our first one recently(as sellers, done loads as buyers) we were a bit late arriving so our stuff was getting properly turned over as we were trying to set up. I'd been warned about it so stood my ground on prices but my wife was a bit shell shocked by it. Ruthless!

I see they've invaded ebay too these days, as soon as you list something someone will message you offering you a shit amount of money to end the sale immediately.

Then, after the initial wave you can start to meet nice people and do deals, we had a great day all in.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Google (2)