The Ultimate Burger

• Please log in to reply
1888 replies to this topic

#421 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

FYI - Ox cheek has a very similar mega meatyness and richness as oxtail but is much easier to mince :D

#422 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4619 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

I might see if I can get over to the local butcher at some point and get them to mince some stuff for me, what should I be starting out with asking them to mince up, like a whole piece of steak or something? Obviously I'll get them to put 145% meat in there

Something rich + something fatty is generally the rule

#423 Gaz

Gaz
  • Supporters
  • 19063 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

My standard "I fancy a burger" mince choice at the moment is the Sainsburys SO Organic range, it's something like 22% fat, not too finely minced and is reasonably cheap for organic beef.

I've not had the chance to experiment with actual blends so far though, I've only used coasely ground chuck. I'd quite like to try an oxtail/chuck one but Waitrose won't mince meat for you and my local butcher is the kind of place you need to order your Christmas stuff from in October, with appropriate prices.

How much are you looking at for a decent quality grinder? I've noticed more and more obscure cuts appearing in this country of late so there's lots of fun experimentation to be done this year. Dry aged sirlion burger. Mmm.

Surprisingly, <£20 on Amazon.

#424 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

I might see if I can get over to the local butcher at some point and get them to mince some stuff for me, what should I be starting out with asking them to mince up, like a whole piece of steak or something? Obviously I'll get them to put 145% meat in there

If you just use one type of meat then chuck seems to be the most popular. During their burger blend testing, AHT said "Chuck is like burger meat designed by committee: It's got a good lean to fat ratio, it's well-balanced in flavor, but it lacks real character. As a single meat, it makes the kind of burger that's tough to find fault with, but won't have you sucking the juices out of your napkin when you're done. If you've got only one choice to make at the butcher, this is the one to go with."

If you want to mix meats then you've got stuff like sirloin, which is lean and kinda bland but has a nice tender texture. You could add the aforementioned chuck, brisket for sour high notes, and oxtail/ox cheek/short rib for rich, beefy umami flavours.

Surprisingly, <£20 on Amazon.

Are hand grinders ok then? They seem like a bit of a pain in the ass.

Oli - you can always grind it in a food processor in the mean time. Partially freeze the meat chunks for 10 mins, and chill the processor bowl and blade. Then grind it with 8-10 second-long pulses.

#425 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4619 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hand grinders are fine for burgers. Trickier for sausages when you need a third hand to hold the skins, but it's no problem at all when you're 'free-mincing'.

#426 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2761 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

...when you're 'free-mincing'.

I knew it!

#427 Dr Slotter

Dr Slotter
  • Members
  • 4774 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

http://www.cheeseandburger.com/

Posted Image

#428 Sapa

Sapa
  • Members
  • 2115 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'll be in London on Sunday and looking to stuff my face with a quality burger and fries. I know Meat Liquor is closed on Sundays. I've got Honest Burgers listed down but not sure if I will want to make a dedicated trip. I'll be in the central touristy areas and staying in South Kensington. I'll also be on my own, so will want somewhere pretty casual.
Anything off this list?
http://youngandfoodi...gers-in-london/

#429 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29437 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Don't think Honest is open Sundays either.

#430 vanronk

vanronk
  • Members
  • 3050 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Don't think Honest is open Sundays either.

It is.

#431 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4619 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'll be in London on Sunday and looking to stuff my face with a quality burger and fries. I know Meat Liquor is closed on Sundays. I've got Honest Burgers listed down but not sure if I will want to make a dedicated trip. I'll be in the central touristy areas and staying in South Kensington. I'll also be on my own, so will want somewhere pretty casual.
Anything off this list?
http://youngandfoodi...gers-in-london/

Bar Boloud is in Knightsbridge, and it's well worth a visit. You'll probably need to book though.

#432 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12509 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

So, uh, I took some pictures of burgers and exported them as full quality.

I hope these thumbnail properly, I think 3888x2592 might break the tables a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#433 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

The Hawksmoor Spitalfields burger was easily the nicest I've had in London, it was basically perfect. I nicked some of the hubby's because I'd ordered the shortrib french dip sandwich (insanely nice). We also had the shortrib nuggets (also insanely nice), chicken burger which I didn't try, both types of poutine (oxtail and chicken) which were awesome.

Amazing cocktails and chocolate ice cream sundaes for dessert :D

#434 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Made these yesterday:

Posted Image

More pics here: http://www.rllmukfor...ost__p__8493084

#435 dr zoidberg

dr zoidberg
  • Members
  • 1173 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Made these yesterday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#436 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19993 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Honest is worth the trip. It's very easy to get to from central and right next to the station. Just make sure the Victoria line is working first cos it sometimes has engineering works on at weekends.

Went to Meat Liquor last week, and while it was a tasty burger, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a show stopper. I had the dead hippy and that messy chicken thing. Prefer honest burger for pure flavour if i'm honest.

Also, The Hoxton, on Gt Eastern st does a really thick, juicy, flavoursome burger.

Has anyone been to Catlle Grid in Balham? Excellent burgers and ribs.

#437 ravon

ravon
  • Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Im in London soon for a few days looks like i will be making a few burger related trips

#438 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

I also prefer the Honest Burger to the Dead Hippie at ML, even with the lack of plastic cheese in Honest's effort. Tbh those burgers I made a couple of days ago were nicer than the Dead Hippie.

#439 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37220 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Bristolites should really visit yoyo burger at some point in their lives.

Last time I went I had the wagyu burger with truffle alioli and fries. So good. It's very unpretentious inside, just a normal burger place which happens to sell incredibly good burgers. No queuing or plating or anything. It's a proper fast food place in every respect but with seriously tasty burgers. Damn, I know what I'm doing tonight.

#440 will

will
  • Members
  • 5880 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone been to Catlle Grid in Balham? Excellent burgers and ribs.

I've been to the one in soho a few times and didn't think the ribs were that special. Nice enough that i've been multiple times when I've not gotten in to bodeans but still not amazing. Pitt Cue Co. was miles better, though getting in there is a pain.

Best burger i've had recently was at a pub in Crofton Park called Jam Circus. It's one of the Antic chain of pubs and they all do their own food so Jam Circus gets its meat from a really good deptford butcher. I'm not sure it's worth a trip down south but for people around the area it's a lovely big burger with good toppings. Excellent skin on chips too.

#441 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12509 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

There's quite a few Cattle Grids now, honestly I just never bothered visiting because it was a chain, I was expecting GBK quality but I might have to check them out at some point.

Fox, the colouring on the cheese slices there is beautiful, which did you use?

#442 minstrels

minstrels
  • Members
  • 6785 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Am I the only person who hates lettuce, onion, tomato etc. on a burger?

#443 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12509 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Tomato is definitely unnecessary, lettuce depends on a lot of things but the red onion and pickles are essential for the sweet crunch and a better balance of flavours and temperatures.

#444 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4619 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

I like a bit of red onion. I'm nonplussed by lettuce. Tomato next to bread is 100% wrong in all circumstances.

#445 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

@neom just some from tesco. Not the ultra cheap value brand ones, but the next ones up. Plastic cheese product is pretty much all the same though isn't it?

#446 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Made these yesterday:

Posted Image

Did you make the buns?

I want a burger pretty bad right now, I don't even care that it's 9:30am.

#447 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yeah I made some potato rolls.

#448 CrispinG

CrispinG
  • Members
  • 42324 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

i just went to McDonald's because i haven't eaten there for about 10 years. i had 3 cheeseburgers and an apple pie, for £4, which is amazing. the food was shit. really quite terrible.

#449 will

will
  • Members
  • 5880 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Every year or so I get a craving for Maccie Ds and go an buy a cheeseburger. It's normally a crushing disapointment but recently i've stopped trying to compare it to normal food and appreciate it for what it is. Anyway, BK all the way.

#450 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I had a Whopper the other day because they were doing them for 1.99. It was shit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users