rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

2270 posts in this topic

[quote name='Blue' timestamp='1329214390' post='8441109']
Those chilli chips look like when you scrape everyone's leftovers onto one plate, after dinner, ready for the bin. Looks truly disgusting. So do the burgers. Grease all over the tray paper doesn't help. I'll join the Telegraph reviewer's middle-aged brigade not joining that queue and head off to Chinatown, instead.
[/quote]

Q: What looks like shit but actually taste great
A: Cadbury's Picnics and a meal at Meat Liquor

I have to say that I've never really understood why people would like to deliberately make their chips soggy.

Unrelated, I tried the sliders method posted a few pages back recently and it was lovely. The flavour of the onion was really prominent throughout the burger and the bun and gave a wonderful sweet tang to it. The buger was wonderfully juicy and soft and the whole thing was simple to do. Will definitely be using that method from now on.

I'm going to some place in Mayfair which just does burgers and lobster. I'll report back in due course.

That'll be 'Burger & Lobster' then. Apparently the lobster roll is the thing to get; the burger is £20 and frankly I wouldn't pay that for a burger no matter how good it is. Especially when you can get one that's probably just as good from Meat Liquor or Honest for £8.

Woo hoo! I managed to get a table for the Hawksmoor Spitalfields bar soft opening with 50% off food for Sunday. The baby had better stay in!

I made a pretty good burger at the weekend, nice and simple and remained moist without being overly greasy. Here's the thing though, it never tastes quite the way I want, maybe I'm not cooking it hard enough to get a nice crust (which I imagine will give it more flavour) normally all I can taste is cooked mince.

Should I be adding something to my burgers beyond a bit of salt and pepper? I did try adding different herbs and spices for a time but in the end found it wasn't adding anything and just make it taste like a real mish-mash.

What beef are you using? If it's just supermarket mince then it's never going to taste amazing really.

That's probably the issue really, I'm just far too lazy to go to the farm shop down the road. I was hoping I could just cover it with enough seasoning

Get a grinder, oli! For burgers the difference between shop-bought mince and stuff you've freshly ground yourself is night and day, especially if you use a good blend (I like AHT's blend of [s]55%[/s] 40% sirloin, [s]45%[/s] 30% brisket, [s]45%[/s] 30% oxtail or short rib).

I've been getting them to mince me up 50/50 ox cheek and chuck steak at the Ginger Pig - it's so amazingly delicious. I wouldn't even bother making a burger now if I had to use supermarket mince, the difference is so great between the two that I'd simply rather have something else!

[quote name='The Fox' timestamp='1330351173' post='8465708']
Get a grinder, oli! For burgers the difference between shop-bought mince and stuff you've freshly ground yourself is night and day, especially if you use a good blend (I like AHT's blend of 55% sirloin, 45% brisket, 45% oxtail or short rib).
[/quote]
Isn't that 145%?

My standard "I fancy a burger" mince choice at the moment is the Sainsburys SO Organic range, it's something like 22% fat, not too finely minced and is reasonably cheap for organic beef.

I've not had the chance to experiment with actual blends so far though, I've only used coasely ground chuck. I'd quite like to try an oxtail/chuck one but Waitrose won't mince meat for you and my local butcher is the kind of place you need to order your Christmas stuff from in October, with appropriate prices.

How much are you looking at for a decent quality grinder? I've noticed more and more obscure cuts appearing in this country of late so there's lots of fun experimentation to be done this year. Dry aged sirlion burger. Mmm.

I might see if I can get over to the local butcher at some point and get them to mince some stuff for me, what should I be starting out with asking them to mince up, like a whole piece of steak or something? Obviously I'll get them to put 145% meat in there

FYI - Ox cheek has a very similar mega meatyness and richness as oxtail but is much easier to mince :D

[quote name='oli' timestamp='1330417432' post='8467061']
I might see if I can get over to the local butcher at some point and get them to mince some stuff for me, what should I be starting out with asking them to mince up, like a whole piece of steak or something? Obviously I'll get them to put 145% meat in there
[/quote]

Something rich + something fatty is generally the rule

[quote name='neom' timestamp='1330381447' post='8466748']
My standard "I fancy a burger" mince choice at the moment is the Sainsburys SO Organic range, it's something like 22% fat, not too finely minced and is reasonably cheap for organic beef.

I've not had the chance to experiment with actual blends so far though, I've only used coasely ground chuck. I'd quite like to try an oxtail/chuck one but Waitrose won't mince meat for you and my local butcher is the kind of place you need to order your Christmas stuff from in October, with appropriate prices.

How much are you looking at for a decent quality grinder? I've noticed more and more obscure cuts appearing in this country of late so there's lots of fun experimentation to be done this year. Dry aged sirlion burger. Mmm.
[/quote]

Surprisingly, <£20 on Amazon.

[quote name='oli' timestamp='1330417432' post='8467061']
[/quote]
If you just use one type of meat then chuck seems to be the most popular. During their burger blend testing, AHT said "Chuck is like burger meat designed by committee: It's got a good lean to fat ratio, it's well-balanced in flavor, but it lacks real character. As a single meat, it makes the kind of burger that's tough to find fault with, but won't have you sucking the juices out of your napkin when you're done. If you've got only one choice to make at the butcher, this is the one to go with."

If you want to mix meats then you've got stuff like sirloin, which is lean and kinda bland but has a nice tender texture. You could add the aforementioned chuck, brisket for sour high notes, and oxtail/ox cheek/short rib for rich, beefy umami flavours.
[quote name='Gaz' timestamp='1330431297' post='8467541']
Surprisingly, <£20 on Amazon.
[/quote]
Are hand grinders ok then? They seem like a bit of a pain in the ass.

Oli - you can always grind it in a food processor in the mean time. Partially freeze the meat chunks for 10 mins, and chill the processor bowl and blade. Then grind it with 8-10 second-long pulses.

Hand grinders are fine for burgers. Trickier for sausages when you need a third hand to hold the skins, but it's no problem at all when you're 'free-mincing'.