rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

2,272 posts in this topic

Robert Dyers do one in their BBQ section.

(that isn't a joke BTW)...

Robert Dyers do one in their BBQ section.

(that isn't a joke BTW)...

Do they? I did have a look in a local store as they have some decent kitchenware, but didn't see one. May have to have another look.

Honest Burgers are apparently opening another branch in Soho, so soon we won't have to go as far out of the way to get a fix.

Pretty easy to get a good burger in central London now, with Meat Liquor, Meat Market, and now Honest.

Meat Liquor / Market has gone so down hill, the quality has been appalling the last few times I've been, completely burnt burgers on the last 3 occasions.

Head a little further out to Angel and head to The Wenlock & Essex.. they do a fantastic burger and take pride in it. The Admiral Codrington in Chelsea is also brilliant, a massive step up from even MeatLiquor at it's best.

Tbh I've only been to Meat Liquor once and never to Meat Market, and I wasn't particularly bowled over with the patties in my Dead Hippie. Much preferred Honest's.

Agree on the Admiral Codrington burger, that's really lovely.

I went to Meat Liqour a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed, especially given my friend's ravings about how good it was. We were put in that basement section on a tiny table. They even charged us for a broken glass, which I thought was a bit off.

Cool, Soho is striking distance for me.

We gave GBK another go on Friday, as we had some discount vouchers. It wasn't bad actually, although lacking that char-grilled beefy taste that Byron Burgers have. But a decent burger.

The skinny fries though were just offensive. If you're calling your outfit "Gourmet" anything, you really do need to look at MacDonald's fries, and wonder why they, at the bottom of the market, are so much better than yours.

Atomic Burger is opening a new branch on Gloucester Road Bristol.

Went to the Oxford one last week and had James Earl Jones with Sci Fries and a root beer float and it was top notch. Good sized burger and despite them saying their cook them to medium, mine was actually medium rare just how I like it. A closer one is going to be amazing.

So Byron Burgers, GBK and Atomic Burger are the go-to places right now? Awesomes, they're just opening a Byron place in Oxford and I've been fancying giving GBK a shot for a while.

GBK is awful in my experience, they ask you how you want your burger cooking and then proceed to cremate it anyway.

For meat quality, Byron. For toppings, Atomic. If you hate yourself, GBK.

GBK was crap the first time I went, and ok when we had it last Friday. Fries were dreadful, burger lacked flavour, but was done medium.

Byron Burger is great.

i just had Lucky Chip at the Sebright Arms for dinner. Royale Wit Cheese, chilli cheese fries and a pint of ale from their microbrewery. it was amazing but i now feel the best burger in London is IN FACT Dirty Burger at The White Horse near Hoxton overground, closely followed by The Big Ode at Pitt Cue, which probably doesn't count because it's not even a beef burger. it is a mountain of pulled pork and other caramelly, falling apart meatstuffs i can't even identify.

God you guys are so spoilt for choice in London, we dont really have any great burger places in York.

Oh shit, I'd heard good things about Dirty Burger, I need to get on that. I'm in London tomorrow, fortunately.

they only do burgers Friday, Saturday and Sunday, man

We have nowt in Leeds :(. We had the Meat Liquor people up here a couple of months ago and it was heaving so there is certainly a market for a decent burger place. I wasn't too impressed by the Meat Liquor burgers though.

Some American style place just opened called Johhny Fontanes, and whiist the burgers are OK the sides are utter shite.

I did have a nice burger in Knaresborough of all places last week mind.

...The Big Ode at Pitt Cue, which probably doesn't count because it's not even a beef burger. it is a mountain of pulled pork and other caramelly, falling apart meatstuffs i can't even identify.

The Big Ode is apparently, from top the bottom:

Bun top

Dill pickles

Pickled red cabbage

Hot & smokey house sauce

Smoked brisket

French-dipped middle bun

Smoked sausage

Pulled pork

Bottom bun

DSC_3670.JPG

yeah putting that in your mouth is like a religious experience. i always get it from their cart on the South Bank though, which means shovelling it into my face by the river, hunched double, with meat juice dribbling all over the floor. when you're done it's a panicked race to the nearest available loo (the BFI) to get the sticky residue off your lips and fingers.

So Byron Burgers, GBK and Atomic Burger are the go-to places right now? Awesomes, they're just opening a Byron place in Oxford and I've been fancying giving GBK a shot for a while.

They're opening Byron Burger in Oxford?! Where? I suggest a Byron Oxford meet (meat)

Head a little further out to Angel and head to The Wenlock & Essex.. they do a fantastic burger and take pride in it.

That's decided what I'm doing on Saturday.

The Big Ode is apparently, from top the bottom:

Bun top

Dill pickles

Pickled red cabbage

Hot & smokey house sauce

Smoked brisket

French-dipped middle bun

Smoked sausage

Pulled pork

Bottom bun

DSC_3670.JPG

Well that's dinner the next time I'm in London sorted...

Going to London for 4 days tomorrow, followed by Oxford. Reckon I'm gonna try and hit Byron, Meat Liqour and Atomic as well as a trip to St Johns, before heading back to the restaurant/takeaway privations of the North. You'd think there would be the market for at least one small, quality burger joint/van in Liverpool.

don't bother with Byron, seriously. it's no different to GBK and has become just another chain.

Lucky Chip in Bethnal Green

Dirty Burger in Hoxton

Pitt Cue in Soho/South Bank

Meatliquor on Oxford Street

Honest Burger in Brixton

these are places you should be hitting up.

don't bother with Byron, seriously. it's no different to GBK and has become just another chain.

Lucky Chip in Bethnal Green

Dirty Burger in Hoxton

Pitt Cue in Soho/South Bank

Meatliquor on Oxford Street

Honest Burger in Brixton

these are places you should be hitting up.

Noted, I'll certainly be around Bethnal Green and Hoxton.

That's not true at all. The meat in the patties is a million times better, and the cooking is, too. Wouldn't disagree that your list are all better, of course, but Byron is streets ahead of GBK.