futureshock

Breaking Bad

6,004 posts in this topic

Here are some things other people have noticed:

The final tick of the watch in the closing sequence was replaced with the sound of a gun cocking. this was confirmed on the podcast thingy, but I don't think it has any wider significance than wanting to enhance tension and add a sense of forbodeing.

Skyler in the pool, was immersed completely in a blue substance. Are there any other blue substances which she's completely immersed in?

The thread coming loose on Walt's hat presumably representing him becoming unhinged. He's certainly starting to buy into himself as some big kingpin more and more. And the hubris! Especially with those two cars. Not exactly Gus's Volvo.

I liked him repeatedly asking "what's the plan", both before his birthday party and during his confrontation with Skyler.

Also, it's now transitioned to Heisenberg pretending to be Walt, as opposed to vice versa.

Me too, given that it's literally the first thing he says in the episode ;)

I'm responding to the people who asked if it was actually his birthday or not (in the flashforward, that is), because the waitress takes it from a fake ID which could easily have the wrong date on. Geddit?

Oh, I just watched that flash forward scene again and guess what car Walt is driving? A Volvo. So over the next year he presumably gets a bit more savvy about keeping on the down-low, just like Gus.

Knowing breaking bad, nothing is at it seems so, other than looking a little haggared and him buying a big gun we know nothing else about that flash forward. The assumption is that he is on the run but equally he would be on his way to kill Mike, Jessie, Skyler or anyone or even off to a mountain base hideout with his gun as an insurance policy. He could still be the one who knock's, he is just looking a little rougher

Oh, I just watched that flash forward scene again and guess what car Walt is driving? A Volvo. So over the next year he presumably gets a bit more savvy about keeping on the down-low, just like Gus.

I assumed, for no reason really, that it was rented. Depending on who he was on run from (if on the run at all) he wouldn't want his own car being traced. Or his own car is otherwise indisposed.

I assumed, for no reason really, that it was rented. Depending on who he was on run from (if on the run at all) he wouldn't want his own car being traced. Or his own car is otherwise indisposed.

Sure, but it being a Volvo is a nice bit of mirroring. He knows now to drive something inconspicuous rather than rolling in gangsta-looking PMP-600 or whatever it is he just bought.

In a bored moment today I worked out that that scene was probably set somewhere in or near Kansas. His ID says he's from New Hampshire, the waitress asks if he's headed for California, and he says he's travelled 30 hours. He's in the midwest, anyway, but that's kind of obvious from the diner :)

I liked the frank discusion between Skyler/Walt, something that's been long overdue. I also got a tiny bit more respect for Skyler, knowing that she was playing into her mentalness to get the kids out of the house...

There is some fragment of Walt still there; the bit about the Watch; was him saying in a round-a-bout way that he was going to make everything better and what he told her about Ted was actually good advice. I feel like on some level he knows everything is fucked up but really believes that all of it will be for the better for everyone. The greater good so to speak. I :wub: Walt.

Although Walt is an awesome character, I don't want to see him succeeding at the end of the show. What would it take for people to start disliking him?

Seems to me a lot of people are already disliking him? Most seem to expect that dislike to grow as things carry on but I am hoping for some kind of redemption towards the end. There's hope for Walt yet!

Ploughing through series 3 just now

3-8

When Hank BOOM HEADSHOTS the assassin

Amazing

Seems to me a lot of people are already disliking him? Most seem to expect that dislike to grow as things carry on but I am hoping for some kind of redemption towards the end. There's hope for Walt yet!

I think only the genuine mentalists are still rooting for Walt.

That bedroom scene....Fucking hell. Probably one of the best scenes in the entire show.

Walt's been a dick towards Skyler in the past but that was just pure evil.

And then after all that he walks back in talking to her as if nothing has happened.

Best. TV show. Ever.

I just want Jesse to make it out alive, he's been put through the ringer. Walk brings everything on himself, the perfect set up would be the cancer coming back big time and killing him anyway.

I just want Jesse to make it out alive, he's been put through the ringer. Walk brings everything on himself, the perfect set up would be the cancer coming back big time and killing him anyway.

Perfectly boring.

Although Walt is an awesome character, I don't want to see him succeeding at the end of the show. What would it take for people to start disliking him?

He’s not really done anything too evil apart from Brock and Jane. And he started down this crazy path because he wanted to take care of his family after he’s gone. I’ve a lot of sympathy for the guy.

Call me a mentalist but I'm still rooting for Walt, over Skylar at least. She just pisses me off and has done since the beginning. However, when it comes to Walt vs Jessie I'll be on Jessie's side for sure. I want Jessie to find out all the shit Walt has done but it's going to be pretty tragic. Jessie still really looks up Walt and genuinely likes him, In a way, all they've got is each other

This reminds me of The Sopranos in its later seasons. David Chase was aghast that some people were actively rooting for Tony (finding a character compelling is a completely different thing) and went even further out of his way to show those members of the audience what a piece of shit he was to no avail.

I've always found the Skyler hate a bit perplexing, but the fact there are people who sympathise more with Walt than her at this point if truly mind boggling and any sympathy for Walt's 'doing it for his family' rationale went straight out of the window way back in Season 1's 'Gray Matter'.

Skylar is entirely in the right. But she's a total block to the fun stuff we want to see. Who wants Walt to stop cooking and return to a safe life?

I don't think it's any mystery why Skylar is disliked from a viewers perspective. If her character prevails there would be no show.

And if she wasn't there it would be a really boring show since the conflict between Walt's home/criminal life is pretty much driving force of the show.

I've always found the Skyler hate a bit perplexing, but the fact there are people who sympathise more with Walt than her at this point if truly mind boggling and any sympathy for Walt's 'doing it for his family' rationale went straight out of the window way back in Season 1's 'Gray Matter'.

Yeah, I read an interview with Gilligan where he specifically said that they wanted to give Walt a deus ex machina way out of the meth business early on, that he could turn down out of his own stupid pride, which would then render all of his "I'm doing this for my family" rationale totally void.

A thought on Hank / Walt (504 spoilers)

Is Hank the head of the DEA now, similar to how Walt is now head of the meth operation? All seems to be gearing up for a showdown between them

Also, if / when Walt is found out won't that have consequences for Hank seeing as his treatment was funded by Walt's meth money?

Well Hank's boss basically got canned for his relationship with Gus, which was orders of magnitude less than the links between Hank and Walt.

A slightly wild theory I've been mmming on:

Somehow I can see the ricin affecting/killing Holly. I don't know how, but something very, very shocking will go down. A play on Walt's involvement with Brock.

Imagine if Skyler found the ricin and used it on Holly in an attempt to shake up Walt?

Joking, obviously. Oh, during a recent interview Vince more or less said it would be unsatisfying for the audiences not to see Hank catch Walt but actually seemed to question if the audience really needs to see Jesse discover what really happened to Jane.

I don't see how Jesse can ever reasonably find out about

Jane and Walt's involvment. Walt was on the cusp of confessing in 'Fly' and pulled back from doing it. He'll never confess to it now, especially as he is the onlu one who knows the truth.

On the other hand

the poisoning of Brock has to come out so he finally sees what Walt is capable of. I don't know how exactly but Saul knows that Walt wanted the ricin cigarette and Saul is unhappy with the new boss so maybe he'll be the one to tip Jesse.

Hank. Jeezo, I hated Hank at the start of the show, he was every popular, sporty kid you knew from school and - on the surface - a blowhard who could talk a good game but you doubted he had a clue. In fact, Hank is a great cop and I'm rooting for him. I want him to crack this case and I think he will...but how he can do that without wrecking his family / career / endangering his life I don't know.

Although I loved the

"I was way ahead of you" bluster from him on the Walt / Skylar affair to Marie. It just underscores that Hank is too close to the case right now to crack it. Maybe the distance of the ASAC job will be the deciding factor in him finding Heisenberg.

Imagine if Skyler found the ricin and used it on Holly in an attempt to shake up Walt?

Joking, obviously. Oh, during a recent interview Vince more or less said it would be unsatisfying for the audiences not to see Hank catch Walt but actually seemed to question if the audience really needs to see Jesse discover what really happened to Jane.

think the Jane thing is done in terms of revelations, 'fly' is as close as it needs to get

In a bored moment today I worked out that that scene was probably set somewhere in or near Kansas. His ID says he's from New Hampshire, the waitress asks if he's headed for California, and he says he's travelled 30 hours. He's in the midwest, anyway, but that's kind of obvious from the diner :)

Doesn't the guy he's buying the gun from say something about "this not crossing the border", I may have misheard it. Does that fit in with it being in Kansas?