General chatter - discuss anything here

• Please log in to reply
4614 replies to this topic

#31 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15092 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

As for the Eurogames... I find them a bit hard to stomach these days. I shot myself in the foot by introducing friends to Ticket To Ride and Carcassonne, thinking we'd quickly move onto geekier stuff like Talisman. My plan was to gently win them over to the very idea of playing boardgames. Thing is, they just became utterly obsessed with those two, and I got completely sick of them. One night we played a great game of Cosmic Encounter. Lots of trash-talking and silly banter, lots of fun. Then we played a game of Ticket To Ride: Europe. 45 minutes of the three of us gazing resolutely and silently at the board. That's the difference between the two types for me.

See, your mistake there was game order*. You start with a game of, say, Catan, as you start drinking. Rivalry, arguments, frustration... and then someone wins. And now, everyone slightly pissed, you bring out Roborally (or equivalent game - I've not tried Dungeonquest yet, but it sounds similarly suitable) and giggle like idiots as people drive themselves in circles, off the board, into traps...

Incidentally, anyone who hasn't already must play Roborally. It really is fantastic.

*though I will admit that I've gotten tired of some of my friends' obsession with Catan/Carcassonne. Turns out there can be too much of a good thing.

#32 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7617 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:55 AM

I've started getting quite heavily into Magic, playing mostly with my white deck and I really enjoy it or at least I did until the people who got me into Magic started to play Legend of the 5 Rings - such a fecking long game. I might get into it myself but it seems a bit too long-winded - I like the quick overturn of (most) Magic games and this just seems a lot slower with a more emphasis on building a massive army then destroying and countering short term strategies.

#33 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8527 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:29 AM

I played Magic, I occasionally play Apprentice now (an online thing where you can play other people, build whatever deck you want), but I find that, having not played for a while, I just don't know enough cards to make an effective deck.

I also had a couple of goes at D&D, I'm getting together with my friends to have another game sometime soon.

All of the midgets at my school play Yu-Gi-Oh. Fags.

#34 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14283 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

Check the avatar.

I started playing D&D in about 1980 ish (Basic D&D with the Erol Otus cover). Quickly moved on to AD&D 1st Edition and played that and lots of other games (RoleMaster, SpaceMaster, MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Golden Heroes, Marvel Heroes) until about 1990ish. Never actually played 2nd edition AD&D

Got back into D&D with 3rd edition in around 2000 or whenever it was released. Discovered a new group played until last year when I moved. Haven't really played since. 4th edition is just around the corner.

Never got into collectible card games. They were always huge money pits. As are collectible miniatures games.

Board games are great though. Risk, Diplomacy, Catan, Zombies, Talisman, Car Wars, Battlecars, etc in no particular order.

#35 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6546 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

Check the avatar.

I started playing D&D in about 1980 ish (Basic D&D with the Erol Otus cover). Quickly moved on to AD&D 1st Edition and played that and lots of other games (RoleMaster, SpaceMaster, MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Golden Heroes, Marvel Heroes) until about 1990ish. Never actually played 2nd edition AD&D

Got back into D&D with 3rd edition in around 2000 or whenever it was released. Discovered a new group played until last year when I moved. Haven't really played since. 4th edition is just around the corner.

Never got into collectible card games. They were always huge money pits. As are collectible miniatures games.

Board games are great though. Risk, Diplomacy, Catan, Zombies, Talisman, Car Wars, Battlecars, etc in no particular order.

Similar background to me - I started playing board games (Kingmaker!) in the 70s, but D&D around 1980 (Erol Otus cover - that the dark blue GW UK version? I still have that. Edit: no, I have a different ed.).

As I have posted over in the GW appreciation thread, the UK scene was much more interesting back before WH/WH40K wiped everything off the map (but it may all have been dying off anyway). Mostly played AD&D and Runequest (great game, superb setting), but tried a bunch of other stuff like C&S, Tunnels & Trolls, Bushido, Elric, Dragonquest, Traveller, Paranoia.

Left college and never played a session again!

But some great board games - Wizardry, Apocalypse, Awful Green Things from Outer Space, Car Wars, Ogre/GEV, Kingmaker, Blood Bowl and a bunch I probably forget. Edit: Cosmic Encounter! Still going, I believe.

Did get into Magic briefly in the 90s, when a guy at work introduced me to it - in a very short order I ended up with a ton of cards, then came to my senses and stopped buying. Ouch - what GW did to the UK market, M: TG did to much of the rest of the world, I think.

Seems like the viable business model is to sell miniatures/new cards; not games. Cynical and manipulative, yet hugely appreciated by the target audience. I'd rather play a variety of games . . .

#36 murray

murray
  • Members
  • 20484 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:10 AM

Hang on a sec. Your name is Stuart Griffin? That is frickin' awesome.

Pea-tear Griffin.

#37 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6546 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

I had one of those Ogre games ages ago. Didn't they come in smallish black plastic cases?

Yeah, that was the standard Steve Jackson packaging; cheap and cheerful. I have Car Wars, Awful Green Things (originally a TSR board game) and one of the OGRE games in this format.

Cheapass Games are modern games with a similar attitude to packaging and pieces - look for Kill Dr Lucky, Give Me The Brain, Before I Kill You, Mr Bond, etc.

Although most of these are out of print, now, I think (and someone objected to their use of 'Mr Bond' in a game title.)

#38 Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee
  • Members
  • 3106 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

Pea-tear Griffin.

Finally!

#39 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Supporters
  • 5635 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Can anyone recommend any awesome board games?

Fury of Dracula any good? I think I'll try that Starcraft effort an' all.

BoardGameGeek

It's THE site for boardgaming.

Best game I've bought recently has been Pirates Cove. It's perhaps a bit more lightweight than you'd prefer, but it's immense fun to play. A superb family game. In fact, anything by Days of Wonder is worth a look.

#40 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Supporters
  • 5635 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

What's all this CCG madness? Real geeks play proper board games.

I'm partial to Eurogames myself (the 'genre' into which games like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne fall), and to the shorter grand strategy games: my absolute favourite of that style of play has to be Antike, great fun if you've enough players (plus flavoured with the best period of history). I've not tried any wargames, though I tend to enjoy computerised ones (Combat Mission, Battle Isle etc.), due to the cost and time involved.

I can't be the only person on this forum to like board games (hell, I've seen people recommending Settlers of Catan and Heroscape on this forum before), show some solidarity in the face of the horrific money-saps that are CCG's.

I've bought Heroscape as part of the kids' Christmas present. Looking forward to playing it.

#41 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

I got my first MtG game done over the weekend there, just played through the starter set. Then I snapped open my free Cold Snap theme deck and booster.

Well fuck me sideways, that's a lot of waffle. Frost counters, age counters, "Landwalk" abilities, all kinds of shite. I thought the good thing about Magic was that the cards are their own rulebook?

Coldsnap was packed full of all sorts of bollocks that nobody liked, but TBH most Magic sets introduce new keyword abilities and rules these days, it's a bit of a nightmare. But the cards are so purdy and shiny

#42 Jasberfloob

Jasberfloob
  • Members
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

It was all about Magic the Gathering and D&D for me

Unfortunately I had to see my huge collection of nostalgic stuff when I moved home last year and had nowhere to store it all

#43 chuntmeister

chuntmeister
  • Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:52 AM

Board games I've got to play this Christmas are Zombies, The Settlers and The Haunting House. I know my daughter's not going to play the Zombie one though I'll have to rope in my friends to try that one.

I've got the zombie game; head over to boardgamegeek and pick up the rules mods; they help speed it up as it's an otherwise rather sluggish game. Also, try to get at least 2 other people involved; with only 2 players it's a bit flat.

Senor Happy: sorry, missed your meaning; yeah, l'il Stewie's my hero.

#44 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15092 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

I've bought Heroscape as part of the kids' Christmas present. Looking forward to playing it.

It's a fun little game, though expensive to get a decent amount of terrain*

*'cept when Argos had a clearance of the stuff last year. Tenner per set = four sets for the price of one! Made an awesome pressie for my little brother :wub:

#45 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7805 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

I'm sitting here in school, just collected my Christmas pressies for myself from my mate who runs a games shop:

Zooloretto (SdJ winner this year)
Lost Cities
Ingenious
Settlers of Catan (new version - my old one's knackered through constant play)
Treehouse set
Zombie Fluxx

Also got a copy of Ticket to Ride to give as a present to a mate. Gaaaaaaaaawd, I love board games.

edit: I've got a copy of DungeonQuest and the Heroes for DungeonQuest expansion that just isn't getting the love it deserves - anyone fancy a trade?

#46 Freylis

Freylis
  • Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

I've got a copy of DungeonQuest and the Heroes for DungeonQuest expansion that just isn't getting the love it deserves - anyone fancy a trade?

Not sure I've got anything to trade as I play the games I own, but I might be interested in buying it off you if its mint and complete?

#47 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7805 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

It's certainly complete, but I'd say that both are in very good condition. Hell, it's twenty years old! Nothing's minty after twenty years! No idea how much I'd ask for them though...

#48 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14283 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Similar background to me - I started playing board games (Kingmaker!) in the 70s, but D&D around 1980 (Erol Otus cover - that the dark blue GW UK version? I still have that. Edit: no, I have a different ed.).

Kingmaker - Wow I'd forgotten about that. I used to love that game.

The first version of D&D I had was this:

http://www.acaeum.co...s/basic8th.html

As I have posted over in the GW appreciation thread, the UK scene was much more interesting back before WH/WH40K wiped everything off the map

Agree 100%

#49 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6546 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

http://www.acaeum.co...s/basic8th.html

Nope, not mine; that's the red box edition, yes?

Mine was a dark blue cover, had decent inked artwork inside (better than the AD&D 1st ed stuff I followed it up with), and was actually printed by Games Workshop in the UK under license from TSR. There's a really old GW logo which is a kind of Goofy-style cartoon character on the inside back cover, with the 1 Dalling Road address. Would have been from the late 70s.

I'll have to flog it on eBay as R@RE11!!!11 etc.

It's in a box somewhere - I'll have to post a scan or two.

#50 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Supporters
  • 5635 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

Also got a copy of Ticket to Ride to give as a present to a mate. Gaaaaaaaaawd, I love board games.

He told me he didn't want it, and that you're to give it me instead.

#51 frood42

frood42
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

I've been RPGing since I was a wee nipper. I broke my teeth on D&D and progressed to AD&D and was then introduced to Call of Cthulhu and never looked back. :wub: I've been Cthulhuing ever since.

I dabbled in MTG for a while but eventually got myself off that addiction and got a proper interest in board gaming. BGG List.

I've just got back from a short holiday in Hamburg and took the time to hunt down some board game related purchases, it's strange to wander into the German equivalent of Denhams to find a wall of Settlers of Cattan, Carcassone and other euro game classics :)

#52 Djx

Djx
  • Members
  • 1713 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

The problem with most CCGs is finding one other player, let alone a few. Solve that and then they're pretty fun.
I'm currently playing the Bleach CCG which is fun and not as intensive as the Naruto CCG.
As for board games, apart from Monopoly, I haven't really played that many.

Wired.com has a selection of 10 board games worth checking out. Scroll down for the picture selection:
http://www.wired.com...best_boardgames

#53 artz

artz
  • Supporters
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

Never got into CCGs, a mate at uni collected StarWars - I read the rules but it sounded a bit tedious. Stupidly expensive as well!

I've always been fond of board games, but I strangely get more of an interest unpacking them and studying the rules than I do playing them. Always seems a bit of a let down to actually play.

My real favourite are RPGs but I've never done a big campaign though. And probably never will!

#54 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6546 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

My real favourite are RPGs but I've never done a big campaign though. And probably never will!

You really, really need a good GM taking you through their own scenarios. And GMing is a shedload of work, so good GMs are rare outside of college students (and maybe not even there, these days).

#55 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51300 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

You'll need some of that Frostilucus bullshit if you don't want another educating over Christmas. I could pwn your "flaccid wimple eels" or whatever you've got around the table until they realised their mistake and jumped in my deck.

HO HO HOH NO YOU DIDN'T

THROWDOWN

#56 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51300 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

Coldsnap was packed full of all sorts of bollocks that nobody liked, but TBH most Magic sets introduce new keyword abilities and rules these days, it's a bit of a nightmare. But the cards are so purdy and shiny

I might stick to the Core 9th/10th edition cards for the time being then. I could do with picking up a theme deck for the black cards, as the starter didn't come with any.

#57 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

I might stick to the Core 9th/10th edition cards for the time being then. I could do with picking up a theme deck for the black cards, as the starter didn't come with any.

Probably a good plan, the Core sets are where the rules are keep "cleanest" even these days
It's a great game, just has masses of baggage

#58 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7834 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

I've got the zombie game; head over to boardgamegeek and pick up the rules mods; they help speed it up as it's an otherwise rather sluggish game. Also, try to get at least 2 other people involved; with only 2 players it's a bit flat.

Senor Happy: sorry, missed your meaning; yeah, l'il Stewie's my hero.

That's useful, thank you. There seem to be three sets of modded rules though. Which one would you recommend from Survival, Hardcore and House?

#59 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Supporters
  • 5635 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

Anyone played Formula De? Nearly impulse-bought it the other day in Travelling Man in York, but decided against it in the end due to already having spent too much on Christmas presents. Is it any good?

#60 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7834 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

This is all your fault. I went back to Travelling man on Thursday and came back with Family Fluxx (which is ace) and Chrononauts which looks very interesting though I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I also found the Usagi Yojimbo RPG rulebook in the bargain bin at Forbidden Planet and since I love Usagi I had to get it.

This thread has started my game buying illness again. I know I won't be able to stop buying new games most of which I will never play. I'm doomed!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users