General chatter - discuss anything here

• Please log in to reply
4651 replies to this topic

#4021 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Picked up Puzzle Strike this morning from Patriot Games in Sheffield as I'd sold some shit video games and what not and it's the first time I've seen it in stock,

#4022 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4966 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

I just read about Castles of Burgundy on Sit Down & Shut Up, and it sounds rather fun - has anyone had a chance to play it yet? It sounds a little like a cross between Alhambra, Catan and a mild dose of Agricola.

I've not been to my gaming night for a few weeks, but I've heard them making good noises about it. They like this sort of game so I reckon it's worth going for.

#4023 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Coolio. Am awaiting the email to tell me it's in stock! I also need to be back in the UK!

#4024 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4966 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

There were two in the Traveling Man in Newcastle. If you want to travel across the whole country.

#4025 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

That's okay - I can wait!

#4026 Andy_Why

Andy_Why
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Summoner Wars is out for iOS.

http://itunes.apple....d493752948?mt=8

Unfortunately some people can't download it currently, including me :(

#4027 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7820 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have it! And it is excellent...

#4028 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7900 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Dungeon Twister is out on the PS3. 8 but half price for plus users which seems pretty good. I think it's AI or netplay only as I didn't see anything about local 2 player.

#4029 Andy_Why

Andy_Why
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have it! And it is excellent...

Hooray! It's working now! And it IS excellent. Add me if you'd like to play a few games. My ID is SuburbanAndy.

#4030 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Not that I'd blame you if you didn't but did anyone ever buy the expansions for the Resident Evil Deckbuilding game and if so were they better than Alliance?

#4031 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11470 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I've inherited my mate's copy of Eclipse so I can read the rules and learn how to play it for both of us. He's rubbish at learning rules but he's an amazing player, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm sitting here, surrounded by so many bits. So, so many bits. The manual doesn't look to bad, mind. It's split into three sections: the bits, the rules and then an example turn played out between four players. So, so many bits though.

#4032 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

While you're here Xib, what expansions do you recommend for the LOTR:LCG?

#4033 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11470 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Oh bloody hell, mate. That really is a tough ask. See to be honest? You're better buying them in chronological order. Some of the cards in later packs expand on a theme from a previous expansion and there's a fair bit of power creep as the the packs go on which could really confuse you if you didn't see previous iterations. I really can't think of a single pack that you'd be best to jump straight to.

That said, I've seen a lot of people on BGG say that if you were only going to spend another £20 on the game, then go straight to the Khazad-Dum deluxe expansion. I disagree, because KD is the opening pack in the second cycle of the game and you're missing a lot of story and context. I'd spend £10 on The Hunt For Gollum adventure pack. The scenario itself is fairly easy, and it introduces a new mechanic to the mix called Signs of Gollum and - most importantly - it's the next one after the core box.

So yeah, just stick with going through them in chronological order. There's plenty of game in each pack and you'll get your money's worth.

#4034 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Cool, cheers :) we need to play it some more but I was wondering what the expansions were like for deck building.

#4035 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11470 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm sorry my answer couldn't be more helpful, mate. It's because when you buy a pack, you get a new adventure with it and the player cards that come with it are kinda tailored with their partner adventure, if you get what I mean. So that's why there's no pack better than another. I'm sure one of the savant card players at BGG would tell you better, mind.

Quick question for anyone who might know. I'm about to embark on MtG 2013. It's just going to be me, my mate and the wife playing so we're going to be in isolation. I was going to buy three intro decks and the MtG 2013 fat pack. That's plenty to for the three of us to play with, eh?

#4036 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

No it's good enough an answer for me, mate.

As for MTG if you're playing casual and that I should imagine the intro decks are fine. Have you thought about buying some WoW class starter decks? It's like Magic but not nearly as confusing. Unless you have played it already, then I'll shut up.

#4037 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11470 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

As for MTG if you're playing casual and that I should imagine the intro decks are fine. Have you thought about buying some WoW class starter decks? It's like Magic but not nearly as confusing. Unless you have played it already, then I'll shut up.

I ended up buying two intro decks and the deck builder's toolkit, all 2013. The reason I picked MTG is because I've been a fan of the Plainswalkers video games for years now and I'm pretty familiar with how to play it. WoW would still interest me though as I'm a total slut for cards, especially for collectible ones.

We're trying out Eclipse and MTG tonight. Should be, uh, fun.

#4038 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7820 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just played Pixel Lincoln and Race for the Galaxy. I have fallen for them both in very big and very different ways. *sigh*

#4039 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I'm presuming you went all in for the early release of Pixel Lincoln? The game is basically made with only the extra bonus donation cards to be made then the rest should be sent to print?

Race of the Galaxy took us a while to suss, but once we did it was pretty sweet.

#4040 Fudge

Fudge
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Pixel Lincoln is very cool, especially the artwork. And although RFTG has given me a migraine, I am keen to play it again as I think I should have a better idea of what is going on. Possibly.

#4041 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11470 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Played Eclipse tonight for the first time as mentioned earlier. Pretty damned good game and surprisingly easy to learn and memorise. Four X in all its glory that encourages you to go and try to hammer the bejeesus out of everything. The resource management is deviously simple too and it's crucial that you get it right in the first stages or you'll leave yourself gimped for a few rounds.

Bloody expensive though and one I'm glad I didn't buy; my mate did.

#4042 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7820 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I'm presuming you went all in for the early release of Pixel Lincoln? The game is basically made with only the extra bonus donation cards to be made then the rest should be sent to print?

Nope, it's an advance review copy. They printed a few up using Artscow so the card quality isn't great at all, but the game is a lot of fun.

#4043 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Nyah hah. I see.

#4044 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

I have a question. I'm putting together an RPG campaign based on a setting largely derived from Mobile Suit Gundam. Although I'm using BESM, so the combat is quite fast and loose, I'd like to get a few miniatures to help keep track of some stuff for space combat. I don't think you can get gundam miniatures but I know there are things like Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles by Dream Pod 9 that are pretty anime-inspired; anyone know a good stockist of those?

#4045 idespair

idespair
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Wayland Games are the UK distributor for Dream Pod 9, so they're probably your first port of call - they've recently cut their prices by 15% (due to better shipping rates) and are also offering free postage on orders over £20 until 28th July if you use the code SUMMERFREE.

DP9 are currently doing a bit of a summer promotion on their Heavy Gear range, so are giving away the current basic rulebooks for free - whilst you're obviously doing your own setting/rules, you may find some of the background to be useful. The two books can be downloaded from Wargame Vault - Locked & Loaded / Field Manual.

#4046 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7820 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Going to be doing a BIG clearout of games over the next few days on eBay, but I figured I'd put the list up here to see if anyone's interested.

In no particular order...

Dungeon Fighter
Mini Taurus
Uno Spin
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (Blue starter set)
Battleball
Black Cannon
Monopoly - Looney Tunes edition
Escape from Colditz
13 Dead End Drive
Spoils TCG (About 600 cards)
Batavia
Kokoriko
Existenz (latest version)
X6-10Z (older version)
Launch Pad
Eruption
Gold Mine
Core Worlds
Road to Canterbury
Five Fingered Severance
Alcatraz: The Scapegoat
Redakai (US Championship Tin set)
Labyrinth - The Duel
Horse Fever
WoWTCG (loads of cards from last year, nothing spectacularly rare mind)
Astronauts
2019 - The Arctic
Lord of the Rings: Nazgul
Total Strategy-Z
Caylus Magna Carta
Batavia
Nefarious
Streetcar
Ragami
Cutthroat Caverns
Mundus Novus
JAB: Realtime Boxing
Civilisation (FFG)
Wrath of Ashardalon
Oregon
Duel of Ages - Worldspanner
City Tycoon
Rumble in the House
Order of the Stick - The Board Game
Junkyard Racers
Mensa Connections
Struggle for Catan
Sake & Samurai
Die Speicherstadt
The Manhattan Project
Rex
Dominion
War of Honor
Vintage
Glory to Rome
Strain
Ticket to Ride: Card Game
Lost Cities
Venture Forth
Subbuteo (latest version, includes Manchester United team as an extra)
Quarto Mini
Hotel
1989 - Dawn of Freedom
Doctor Who - Adventures in Time and Space RPG (10th Doctor edition)

If you're interested in any, give me a shout - I'm sure I can cut you a fine deal :D

#4047 Treble

Treble
  • Members
  • 7437 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Marker down for Ashardalon! Would you like a PM, squoire? Edit: pm sent, soz Fudge :(

#4048 Fudge

Fudge
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Damn your eyes treble, I wanted that!

#4049 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 9179 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Seems a popular one dropped him a PM about it too earlier :(