• Please log in to reply
4585 replies to this topic

#3781 Padlocked

Padlocked
  • Members
  • 4703 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

In case my thread would be more at home here than in Ask The Forum:
Some friends and I are interested in playing a D&D style game, but know nothing. Advice or recommendations of alternatives would be very welcome!

Pathfinder seems to be liked by Campfire and Joyrex here, may be a more accessible place to start than D&D? With D&D revising their rules soon now would seem like a silly time to start to learn their system.

#3782 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Pathfinder Core Set seems quite cheap too. £25 on Amazon (without even looking for better bargains).

I keep getting really tempted at that price but the theme usually bores the hell out of me.

#3783 waddie

waddie
  • Members
  • 2787 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is Pathfinder more accessible? I thought the whole point was that it's aimed at the people who wanted a continuation of D&D3.5's complexity.

I think D&D Essentials is the current intro version.

#3784 DoctorEgo

DoctorEgo
  • Members
  • 2012 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Many thanks gents. Sounds like Castle Ravenloft may be the kind of thing we're looking for! :)

#3785 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7796 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Good choice! Although I have the Drizzt variant lots of people enjoy all three of those games.

#3786 TheRustySnowman

TheRustySnowman
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have a spare Death Sentinal/Haruli Thunderstone promo pack as I bought it not realising I had it, so whoever shouts first can have it.

I'd love it if it's still going.

#3787 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8368 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Many thanks gents. Sounds like Castle Ravenloft may be the kind of thing we're looking for! :)

I'd advise getting Wrath Of Ashardalon, It's got a more traditional D&D feel (Ravenloft is more horror like and Drizzt is much better if you know the source material) and slightly more refined rules/scenarios, all 3 games are totally great though.

Dungeon Run is also a good alternative being very streamlined with added backstabbery.

#3788 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Is Pathfinder more accessible? I thought the whole point was that it's aimed at the people who wanted a continuation of D&D3.5's complexity.

I think D&D Essentials is the current intro version.

Not having played the full version of Pathfinder I've heard it's brimming with rules.

Having said that, the Beginner Box is very easy to get to grips with, light on rules, and explains both how to play and how to GM a role playing game better than anything else I've read. It's perfect for anyone who wants to try RPGs out.

#3789 Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind
  • Supporters
  • 3346 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

A few people have mentioned the rule clarifications and ammendments in the two D&D boargames that follow Ravenloft, and that these improve the game. I haven't had a look yet, but I'm sure they'll be available online somewhere - is there any reason they wouldn't be retroactive? I wouldn't mind some line of sight rules, since Ravenloft has none, and perhaps some clearer movement and figure placement rules.

#3790 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41559 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

Although Board Game Geek can be a hive of scum and villainy but the rules forums for each game are pretty indispensable. And you have Headless Hollow bookmarked yeah?
The D&D board game rules are pretty interchangeable I think, especially with clarification like the LOS rule. Do what we do: make it up as you go. There are some nutcases around here that think house rules are the work of Satan himself, but sometimes the rules are either too obtuse to use or just plain suck rancid elephant foreskin.

#3791 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7796 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

There is a reason that Rllmuk is the second cuntiest forum on the internet and that is the BGG forums. It's soul destroyingly horrible in the general forums that they have.

#3792 Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind
  • Supporters
  • 3346 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Yes, I've tried to penetrate (chortle) BGG in the past, but I find it so horrible to use that it genuinely puts me off! I wasn't aware of Headless Hollow! Will check it out, thanks. I've looked at the official forums at WotC, and yeah, we came up with house rules for LoS, but I'd still like to see some proper ones. It's cool that the core rules work across all the games. I thought they probably would.

#3793 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

A few people have mentioned the rule clarifications and ammendments in the two D&D boargames that follow Ravenloft, and that these improve the game. I haven't had a look yet, but I'm sure they'll be available online somewhere - is there any reason they wouldn't be retroactive? I wouldn't mind some line of sight rules, since Ravenloft has none, and perhaps some clearer movement and figure placement rules.

The clearer figure placement rules are easy to retro-fit - the later 2 games state that monsters should be placed on the scorch-mark/bones square, not just when appearing but also when moving, except when their movement rules specifies otherwise

There's no line of sight rules, it's been super abstracted, so yeah sometimes monsters and heroes can appear to fire round corners, but that's how the game has been designed - simple & fast

I don't think there's much else in the new rules that would affect or could be fitted to Ravenloft.

#3794 DoctorEgo

DoctorEgo
  • Members
  • 2012 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

So sounds like we could start with Drizzt, and always use Ravenloft / Expense of Ashordalon (can't find it unused for less than a hundred notes) as expansions? Ideal :)

Sounds like BGG would destroy my enthusiasm, but will take a peek at Headless Hollow.

#3795 SimonC

SimonC
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've just discovered there's a boardgame club local to me (in Aylesbury) who meet every week. I shall now have to go along which is scary and exciting in equal measures!

Going along to the aforementioned boardgame club tonight. Is there any sort of etiquette I need to observe? Do they allow eating/drinking while playing at these sort of things or is that likely to get me a reputation as a dangerous individual who lives life on the edge?

#3796 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

You can have a drink and snack, but you will be killed without hesitation if you spill anything. Best put the drink under a napkin too. No point eating a meal because you're there to play games!

I don't think there is any other etiquette. If they're not particularly welcoming then sod them and make your own club.

#3797 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Supporters
  • 5615 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Having food or drink anywhere near the table is just an accident waiting to happen. My darling son managed to splurge a mouthful of Vimto all over a brand-new Mystery Express, because his brother made him laugh at the wrong moment.

#3798 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Best put the drink under a napkin too.

Do boardgame clubs draw in a lot of wasps? Or are there people who attend them with extended straws trying to steal a drink when you're trying to decide how to take Cthulhu down?

#3799 jonnyalpha

jonnyalpha
  • Supporters
  • 7796 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

If you hand around a large bag of cheesy wotsits before any cards are dealt I think you'll be the most popular member there.

#3800 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I mean "on a napkin".

I am not a clever man.

#3801 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

If you hand around a large bag of cheesy wotsits before any cards are dealt I think you'll be the most popular member there.

I got some free ones from the sandwich guy at work. My already filthy keyboard (inherited) was flourescent orange for aaaaages afterwards.

I mean "on a napkin".

I am not a clever man.

Yeah, I kinda guessed. But I couldn't resist.

#3802 SimonC

SimonC
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Going along to the aforementioned boardgame club tonight. Is there any sort of etiquette I need to observe? Do they allow eating/drinking while playing at these sort of things or is that likely to get me a reputation as a dangerous individual who lives life on the edge?

So board game club wasn't half as scary as I expected. Everyone was very friendly and kept me topped up with tea and sweets so I needn't of worried about food/drink protocol. There was 9 people including myself so not huge but plenty enough to get a good couple of games going. I got there early and played Zombie Dice (dice rolling chance) to pass time while we waited for others to show up. Then when a couple more showed we had a quick game of Incan Gold (risk/reward treasure collecting game) before getting stuck into the good stuff. I then spent the rest of the evening playing a 5 player game of Caylus. 3 of us hadn't played it before so took a while to explain it and a couple of turns for it to click but then it flowed really well. Really good game, totally absorbing with everyone else's actions influencing and often stopping your own plans. I even managed to snatch victory in the last turn of the game :ph34r:

So yes I can see me being a regular visitor to board game club. Glad I battled my nerves and took the decision to go!

#3803 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 14965 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Great stuff! Sounds like a friendly club you've got there :)

#3804 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7795 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Good work man - more people should do it! Our club started small but now we get between twenty and thirty every week. Tonight: Sunrise City and Manhattan Project!

#3805 SimonC

SimonC
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Are you still planning on going to the Leighton Buzzard games day on the 11th Michael? Hope to make it myself if my kids are having the day with their Mum, which they should be as i've got them this Saturday coming.

#3806 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7795 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Aye, hopefully! I've got a mate who's supposed to be coming up on the Friday for games, but I'm sure I can drag him along as well.

#3807 LaParka

LaParka
  • Members
  • 3325 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Think i'm going to take the plunge and buy Arkham Horror...any shops offer free postage these days?

#3808 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

So board game club wasn't half as scary as I expected. Everyone was very friendly and kept me topped up with tea and sweets so I needn't of worried about food/drink protocol. There was 9 people including myself so not huge but plenty enough to get a good couple of games going. I got there early and played Zombie Dice (dice rolling chance) to pass time while we waited for others to show up. Then when a couple more showed we had a quick game of Incan Gold (risk/reward treasure collecting game) before getting stuck into the good stuff. I then spent the rest of the evening playing a 5 player game of Caylus. 3 of us hadn't played it before so took a while to explain it and a couple of turns for it to click but then it flowed really well. Really good game, totally absorbing with everyone else's actions influencing and often stopping your own plans. I even managed to snatch victory in the last turn of the game :ph34r:

So yes I can see me being a regular visitor to board game club. Glad I battled my nerves and took the decision to go!

Sounds great! I'll have to try and get out work at a decent hour and join you one night. I'd love to do the one on the 11th, but am away for the weekend (first time away with the baby - yikes!), but the March one could be a go-er. Also, would love to host you and your family / friends one night if you fancy another games night :)

#3809 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11304 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

I bought this and this to use as monster cups for Arkham Horror and Elder Sign respectively. Probably the least value-for-money accessories I've ever bought for board gaming but blimey, they're lush.

#3810 SimonC

SimonC
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Sounds great! I'll have to try and get out work at a decent hour and join you one night. I'd love to do the one on the 11th, but am away for the weekend (first time away with the baby - yikes!), but the March one could be a go-er. Also, would love to host you and your family / friends one night if you fancy another games night :)

Yes to all of the above! I was going to let you know a bit nearer the time but i'm going to be in Haddenham the weekend after you're away. Will PM you with more details :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

AK Bell