Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

4,931 posts in this topic

I've played it twice and both times I did, everyone who played it asked if I'd bought a children's game by mistake. I mean when you get stuff like Italy : 2 and you have the words Rome and Pizza, where's the bloody challenge?

I truly fail to see how single word clues can ever even come close to bringing challenge to be honest.

The fact that people's best clues still led to mistakes means there's challenge surely?

From reading the thread, much better clues could have given.

Happy to volunteer and show how it's done. I hate to sound critical of this game. I honestly really want to love it.

Learnt the rules of Burgundy last night solo, wow, so smooth, I couldn't help playing nearly half a game! Going to try trains now, I'm hoping it will replace dominion, which is getting stale.

Happy to volunteer and show how it's done. I hate to sound critical of this game. I honestly really want to love it.

As I understand it, the table top version has an egg timer to restrict how long people can take, but even so, finding a good clue that includes what you want as well as excluding others is harder than it first appears.

The scoring system makes it interesting and adds the difficulty, surely? The team that goes first has to score one more than the other team, forcing them to get a bit more clever and not just go for safe two word clues.

The boy has done his first game show, via a shitty Macbook webcam and edited down to make him look half decent.

Shameless whoring from Michael, part deux:

(Thanks for watching, if you do!)

Also, Pele, nice work by your little dude!

If anybody has TTR and the 1910 expansion with big cards then you don't need the small cards anymore. Could I buy them off you?

If anybody has TTR and the 1910 expansion with big cards then you don't need the small cards anymore. Could I buy them off you?

I think I do. Lost your small cards?

Joined my local (Norwich) board game group for the first time last week, I'm feeling so stupid for not doing it sooner! What a lovely bunch of people, felt like playing with mates, highly recommended for anyone in the region. Tuesdays at the mash tun!

It's going to save me a lot of money also as I can try things I'm curious about there instead of having to buy them.

A bunch of us played that (Keep talking and Nobody Explodes) at the weekend, and it was excellent.

The morse-code modules at 1am while drunk was perhaps not our greatest success ("Beep, beep-beep, beeeep, beep bep beep, bee...beep"), but it was hilarious; definitely recommended.

Good to hear, I think I may give it a go then when I finally get a games night organised

Another night with the Norwich the board gamers, ended the night with One Night Vampire, what a mess of a game, so. many. rules. So much confusion (not the fun kind).

Spyfall after was such a relief.

Several of us brought One Night Vampire to a meetup but it seemed over-complicated compared to One Night Werewolf, or even Daybreak, so didn't get any play time. Sad to hear that our first impressions seem to be accurate.

I find One Night Ultimate Werewolf complicated (once you start to add in the different roles), so I think I'll give Vampire a miss.

I think vampire is suited to werewolf vets maybe, we had 10 and many had never played the original so the learning curve was impossible.

I think vampire is suited to werewolf vets maybe, we had 10 and many had never played the original so the learning curve was impossible.

Not sure where to put this but I have two broken token style organisers to whoever wants them for the price of postage? It's the netrunner / Lord of the rings lcg ones. I don't have dividers though.

Having my first Dead of Winter session tonight, 4 players. I absolutely can't wait!

What a game! First turn having the cocky Tommy the soldier die set the tone nicely. It tells a story, even though there was no betrayer two of us started acting very shifty about medicine towards the end, feeding our doubts. Clever, simple game to play, highly recommended if you want interaction, theme and story.

Has anyone played the Timeline card games? Eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asmodee-Games-TIM01USASM-Timeline-Inventions/dp/B005N57CNU/ref=pd_sim_21_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51EBoVep3TL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR151%2C160_&refRID=052EG9G739Q7N8WSWJPY

They seem like good Christmas Day fodder, but I can't really see anything conclusive about how easy it is when played by Clever People. Is it QI-style-easy-to-go-wrong as it seems it might be?

I've played the iPad version a bit. It's fun, with plenty of howler potential, but if you have a half-decent memory then it's dead after six plays or so (although you can mix in lots of expansions, which would help). Would probably be good for a family Chrimbo, if you're happy for that to be potentially its entire lifespan.

Thanks, it does sound quite good for Christmas.

I do enjoy the Amazon reviews that say, essentially "This educational game made me learn things and now it is ruined! I am unhappy!"

FFG are releasing a new warhammer card game that's not lcg. It looks awesome and I'll probably pick it up just because it's not an lcg

Is the original TTR the simplest/best option for playing as a family? I want a new Christmas board game to play with the wife (low tolerance for games, dislikes zombies/dragons/aliens), youngest son (8, not very ruthless, doesn't like being picked on) and eldest son (10. Brutally ruthless, no quarter given. Will relentlessly attack the weakest player).