Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

4911 posts in this topic

Right I'm going to a boardgame meet up at a near by pub tomorrow evening. The thing is I haven't been invited and I don't know anyone there. My plan is to turn up early and see what happens and so on before going over and awkwardly introducing myself. That way if I don't like the look of stuff I can slink off anonymously.

I've bought [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004P33HYY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00]some storage boxes[/url] for my growing collection of Lord Of the Rings LCG cards. For whatever reason, I've had to buy a pack of five boxes and I'm planning on keeping two. Anyone else need some? If you PayPal me two quid, I'll send you the other three. PM me if you want them.

EDIT: Boxes gone. :)

[quote name='Fury.HD' timestamp='1337637725' post='8618064']
Right I'm going to a boardgame meet up at a near by pub tomorrow evening. The thing is I haven't been invited and I don't know anyone there. My plan is to turn up early and see what happens and so on before going over and awkwardly introducing myself. That way if I don't like the look of stuff I can slink off anonymously.
[/quote]

Surely it would be more awkward to watch them from the other side of the room for half an hour and then introduce yourself? Better to dive in and get the introductions out the way I would of thought.

Yeah I meant I'd make an instant judgement after I'd identified the group, rather than sit and watch them for any length of time. Anyway I didn't go for various reasons, so it'll be sometime next month now.

Anyone else collecting The Lord of the Rings LCG? The last two adventure packs ([i]Watcher in the Water[/i] and [i]The Long Dark[/i]) have been pretty underwhelming. One or two player cards in each pack seem decent but most of the others are dull as dishwater. Here's hoping the scenarios are good!

I don't play the LOTR one, but the other LCGs often make a lot more sense when you look at a whole cycle of expansions rather than individual packs.

[quote name='waddie' timestamp='1337786670' post='8621247']
I don't play the LOTR one, but the other LCGs often make a lot more sense when you look at a whole cycle of expansions rather than individual packs.
[/quote]
Yeah I guess you're right, although the fist cycle did leave a few elements that felt unfinished. Only time will tell.

Has anyone noticed [url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119890/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small]Agricola: All creatures big and small[/url] yet? It's a two player standalone game by Uwe Rosenberg. Given how much I love Agricola, I've ordered it. Really looking forward to paying it.

There's going to be some early copies to have a demo of at the UK Games Expo I'm not sure if there will be english copies to buy though.

[quote name='jonnyalpha' timestamp='1337805560' post='8621819']
There's going to be some early copies to have a demo of at the UK Games Expo I'm not sure if there will be english copies to buy though.
[/quote]
It's been released in the UK this week so hopefully there'll be plenty of English versions. Apparently it's as much of a brain burner as its parent game!

Yeah, Lookout will have copies. I'm doing the video livestream for them, really looking forward to checking it out.

Also, a propos of nothing... Ace of Spies just hit 50% funding on Kickstarter and I am very proud. Less than two and a half days :D

Oh wow. I didn't realise it was out that quick. That may well be another quaranteed purchase right there.

Mike McVey's Sedition Wars project is finally getting a release, via CoolMiniOrNot and Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster

Space Hulk/Hybrid style board game with 50 plastic miniatures.

I don't like the boards but the minis are nice. One to watch as the stretch goals could get good I guess (and it'll be available in shops anyway...)

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of these 'Kickstarter as a preorder mechanism' campaigns really, I'm a bit bored of waiting for stuff to come through as well.

Heh, I actually quite like the wait. Probably because I'm weird ;)

I am tempted by the set (I do love me some miniatures, and skirmish-based wargames). The shipping, however, puts me off.

Wow, blast from the past. When I started this thread in 2007 (we didn't even have a subfolder back then), I had no idea that I would be posting about going to a national board game expo nearly 5 years later.

[quote name='Wiper' timestamp='1338120638' post='8627184']
Heh, I actually quite like the wait. Probably because I'm weird ;)

I am tempted by the set (I do love me some miniatures, and skirmish-based wargames). The shipping, however, puts me off.
[/quote]

In struggling because there's stuff in the shops I want *now* and Kickstarter is money I won't spend on those but also see no other benefit from for aaaaaaaaages.

[quote name='Pelekophoros' timestamp='1338124726' post='8627288']
In struggling because there's stuff in the shops I want *now* and Kickstarter is money I won't spend on those but also see no other benefit from for aaaaaaaaages.
[/quote]
Weirdly, my acquisition disorder has all but vanished recently. I pruned my collection (gave some games away) recently and now I'm really pleased with what I have. I've mentioned it before but now I'm concentrating on getting good at the games I have like Puerto Rico and Agricola.

I'm sure my lust for the new and shiny'll come back soon though.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Andy_to_the_max/2012-05-27234854.jpg[/img]

My birthday haul. Very pleased. Oh, and photo comic of my Dog. Which is the jewel in the crown, of course.

I just read about Castles of Burgundy on Sit Down & Shut Up, and it sounds rather fun - has anyone had a chance to play it yet? It sounds a little like a cross between Alhambra, Catan and a mild dose of Agricola. Sorely tempted to get it when it's back in stock, as I think I'll be able to get my wife to play (I think Agricola would be too intense for her to jump into, and this may prove to be a good stepping stone).

I may buy the two player Agricola game too. Oh god, there are still so many other games I want to try! July can't come too soon! (when I'll finally be able to regularly go to the Aylesbury games club!)

Picked up Puzzle Strike this morning from Patriot Games in Sheffield as I'd sold some shit video games and what not and it's the first time I've seen it in stock,

[quote name='Fondue' timestamp='1338633633' post='8638683']
I just read about Castles of Burgundy on Sit Down & Shut Up, and it sounds rather fun - has anyone had a chance to play it yet? It sounds a little like a cross between Alhambra, Catan and a mild dose of Agricola.
[/quote]

I've not been to my gaming night for a few weeks, but I've heard them making good noises about it. They like this sort of game so I reckon it's worth going for.

There were two in the Traveling Man in Newcastle. If you want to travel across the whole country.