Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

4,931 posts in this topic

Two player card game favourites in our house are:

Koi Koi - I have a Nintendo Napoleon Hanafuda deck which comes in its own little plastic case. Trivial as to carry, and it's a great two player game with a good mix of luck and skill. Played this on our honeymoon, and when my wife was in labour with our daughter.

Race for the Galaxy - not exactly lightweight, but the base game can be slimmed down to fit in one magic style deckbox, if you use paper/phone for tracking VP chips. The Advanced 2P mode is probably the best 2P game I've played, full stop.

For Sale - officially this is 3+ players, but there are some brilliant 2P variant rules on BGG which frankly should have been in the box. There's some luck involved, but planning for swings in luck is all part of the game. Could be slimmed down further by using some kind of local substitute for the cardboard coins.

Lost Cities - I've actually never played the official game outside of an iPhone, but you can create a pretty good version using a standard 52 card deck and a few coins. Use aces to mark out each suit, 2-10 as the exploration cards, and the court cards as the funding boosts (use coins to track the multiplier). I'd like the real game, but it's stupidly expensive here in NZ, and comes in an unnecessarily large box.

Citadels - scales very elegantly to 2P, but is a bit too cut-throat for my wife to want to play often. I didn't help things by winning the first two games.

I have Hanabi, but it never occurred to me to try it 2P - I think with two people you might just get annoyed with each other rather than laughing. I agree that Love Letter doesn't really work 2P, too rubbish when it ends first card.

Jaipur is on my hit list, as is Machi Koro and Mundus Novus, all of which sound like they work pretty well 2P. What I'd really love to track down is Rudiger Dorn's Jambo, plus expansions, but it seems rarer than rocking-horse poo.

Hmm, maybe Jaipur and not Port Royal then! Tough choice. Should be ok with tokens, we'll have a small table, compact boxes are important though, or I can decant into a wee bag. Also taking netrunner so I can finally learn it properly and not just have mini tantrums over it and it's stupid rules and having no idea what to do next. :D

I really like Love Letter but can't see it working that well with just two people.

Just to add some balance, I was traveling with a friend recently and we played loads of 2P Love Letter. We both really enjoyed it!

It should be said, there are slightly different rules.

*shuffle shuffle*

*deal*

"I'll play the Baron. I have the King."

"I have a Guard."

"I win!"

*take cube*

*shuffle shuffle*

Fine then, you gits :P

I'll put all my considerable weight behind Battle Lines then. My most played 2 player game, for sure.

Stejay, have you seen Marvel dice masters in stock anywhere? It's out of stock on amazon.

It popped up on Amazon a couple of days ago and I almost bought it, but couldn't decide if I'd like it so left it. I changed my mind half an hour later and they'd all gone. Doh!

The Uncanny Xmen sets are up on Amazon for pre-order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KHUMI44/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Might be worth preordering that instead?

Has anyone played Machi Koro? I really like the look of it but some places say July and others say September.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JGHCBZA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0K3ACP997KZCPMJA7X8E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Amazon had it for pre-order last night at a reasonable price but then fucking allocated out, and now Fun Again Games have it for £35 shipped <_<

What frustrates me about the board game retail industry is how no-one has preorders on their site unless it's for massive sure sellers, this is presumably because Esdevium have monopoly on distribution and people don't know what they're getting. Also, that the release dates aren't telegraphed like they are in the video game industry.

I've pre-ordered that Dice Masters set, though the irony of announcing a sequel set before they've sorted out supply issues on the original or the boosters isn't lost on me. Seems like a cheaper way to get more cards and dice anyway.

Agree with you on supply. I'd pre-order Legendary Villains and Encounters now if they were up on Amazon. Instead, I've got to wait until I happen to stumble across the site as they get stock and get it then.

I want Machi Koro badly. Hopefully the supply issues will be sorted by my birthday in September.

As far as I'm aware (which isn't saying much, tbh) this is the first English printing of it, there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere about it aside from Amazon and a couple of pre-order links on BGG, so I'd say get your loved ones down to your local board gaming emporium as soon as it goes on sale (and subscribe to release newsletters from Gameslore, IGUK, Boardgameguru etc).

Yeah, the bad news is that I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it, so you now all have extra competition for a copy when it is released! Though I think I may hold off until Essen. I'd hope they'll have copies there.

People are going crazy for the Marvel dice Masters at my local store, apparantly all my buddies say its a really good game, a bit of heroclix in the building of teams and abilities, a bit of magic for the attacking/blocking and life total etc and a bit of dominion or other deckbuilding games for the way you use your dice etc

I'm waiting for the next supply of starters to come in but the guys were playing the game all weekend, at least we should have lots of opponents in Lincoln :)

It's Magic meets Quarriors. Me and Donk have had a few games and it has some nice mechanics, like you're able to save some of your power (the currency used to buy dice, field them and use global powers) instead of having to bin it at the end of each turn, and that knocked out characters don't get binned, they go to a separate area where they're added to your pool after you've drawn your 'hand'.

The problem with it is that it's effectively a ccg, so if you don't crack the dice you need from the boosters you're stuck with too few dice. Seeing as the stock is fucked you can't even get the dice singles on ebay, only the power cards. Also, I've yet to play a game where I can effectively use any card with a cost of 5 or higher, and we barely buy the 'basic' power cards that are in the middle. We might be playing it wrong, but if the games supposed to be as quick as it is, anything that costs 6-8 is useless. Can someone fill me in on how to get the best out of them? Do you only really need one of those powerful dice?

While I'm here, I'm reading the rules for Doomtown Reloaded and I'm worried I'm going to end up sinking money into it. God damn it.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/files/2014/04/DTR_Rulebook.pdf

Machi Koro is bloody lovely. They had fifty copies in English at Essen last year and I snagged the last one. There's a review on littlemetaldog.com - it's light and as it's dice based there's the usual accusations of randomness, but it's fucking fun. You get a nice sense of progression, the way the game works is straightforward and it looks sweet as all hell. I was delighted when I heard the art was being kept for the other editions, it's just so striking.

Stejay, I bought Marvel Dice Masters from our local board game shop about a week ago and it hasn't really clicked with me - owning both Magic cards and Quarriors, I don't really feel a great urge to play a mixture of both - if you're still interested, you can have it for what I paid (£11.50), if you don't mind covering postage?

Edit: Played two games but otherwise complete and in great nick. Even tried to get the stickers off the box neatly. I failed.

Splendor is rather good. I cant find it anywhere though :(

Stejay, I bought Marvel Dice Masters from our local board game shop about a week ago and it hasn't really clicked with me - owning both Magic cards and Quarriors, I don't really feel a great urge to play a mixture of both - if you're still interested, you can have it for what I paid (£11.50), if you don't mind covering postage?

Cheers, I appreciate the offer but realistically I can't see it seeing any table time being two player only. Thanks anyway.

Edit: Played two games but otherwise complete and in great nick. Even tried to get the stickers off the box neatly. I failed.

You still got Marvel Dice Master? Don't suppose you're based anywhere near London/Westminster to avoid postage?

Tempted to give it a punt...

I've pre-ordered the 40K LCG as I saw they had it up on Gameslore - they reckon they'll have it in on the 14th August, but I suspect that might be a little ambitious as that'll probably be about when it makes it's Gen Con first appearance. I don't really know anything about it, other than the fact that it seems a bit like the Cthulhu LCG, I like GW artwork and generally enjoy FF games.

I'll be interested to hear opinions on how I wasted my money. Heh.

Any game that you enjoy isn't a waste of money! It certainly seems to be drawing a lot of influence from the Cthulhu LCG, but that's a good game that's done solidly over the years. This 40K one will undoubtedly do as well, if not better.

Thanks for everyone's interest in Marvel Dice Masters, was hoodwinked a little under a week ago.

What do you all think of cornettos? I'm really into them but my evil bitch of a girlfriend says they are rubbish. Who am I to side with? Me (I've known myself for 36 years) or her (she's completely insane)

Help!

Looking for a Marvel DiceMAsters starter set. Anybody else have one for sale or know where they are in stock?

Just in case anyone's interested, I'm having a bit of a board game clear out and I've placed a listing in the trading folder.

Wow. I still remember how you went on saying Arkham Horror is the best thing ever...well, certainly great and what really hooked you into cardboard. I thought you'd keep it for at least nostalgia.

Anyone know how the rarity works in Marvel Dice Masters?

In what way? If it's regarding the boosters, you get one random card in a booster, and the rarer ones show up less frequently. There are four rarities IIRC: Common, Uncommon, Rare, and one above Rare, the name of which I forget. You get one dice in that booster that matches the character card in the booster, regardless of the card's rarity.

In the starter set there's a checklist that tells you what cards are of which rarity.

Apologies if I'm misreading your question :)

In what way? If it's regarding the boosters, you get one random card in a booster, and the rarer ones show up less frequently. There are four rarities IIRC: Common, Uncommon, Rare, and one above Rare, the name of which I forget. You get one dice in that booster that matches the character card in the booster, regardless of the card's rarity.

In the starter set there's a checklist that tells you what cards are of which rarity.

Apologies if I'm misreading your question :)

Thank you, theres no limit by rarity in the team building though is there?

So, as a longtime fan of Infinity (both the models and the game they're attached to), I'm glad to see that a proper two-player starter set is due out soon, and it looks pretty neat. With rules, cardboard terrain, two squads of metal minis (7 models per squad) and the six 20-sided dice you'll need to play it looks like a great starting point for a great game.

Looks like it's available for pre-order for around £60, and for that price I'd say it's well worth a punt if you're interested in skirmish combat games, as it gives you everything you need to play one of the best wargames I've ever played, and unlike, say, Warhammer, doesn't leave you with hundreds of pounds to spend if you want a decent-sized army: the recommended army size in Infinity is 300 points, ideally with between 7 and 10 models per squad,* and the starter set gives you 200 points worth per squad (from a quick calculation; it may vary slightly depending on weapon loadout), and could be easily bumped up to 300 points for another £15-£30 or so, using 2-3 mid-range troops or one elite unit. Oh, and it puts you at a massive disadvantage in the game if you ever exceed 10 models,* so it's really not a system designed to encourage you to expand your armies massively for a tactical advantage.

So yeah, definitely worth considering if you'd like a skirmish wargame in a box.

*because, interestingly, each model you control contributes an order to your command pool every turn, which can be used by any model within the group; so with 10 models you could move all ten models one time in a turn, one model ten times, or any variation within that. However, a group can never exceed 10 units, so the moment you have more than ten units you have to split your squad into two groups, meaning either one group will have almost no orders to use, or both groups will be diminished. Either way, it makes things far more awkward, and is generally regarded as a surefire way to handicap yourself.