Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

• Please log in to reply
4521 replies to this topic

#31 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29788 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

iirc one of those Emperor titans (the massive ones with church steeples on the roof!), about 12 regular titans, 6 super heavy tanks, around 40 land raiders and 40ish rhinos and approx 600 marines.... but I might be way out. The Epic marines could either be really easy to paint (quick undercoat then topcoat plus a splash of paint for the helmet and shoulder) or very fiddly. I chose the lazy route.

Get that camera out! I demand pictures :wub:

#32 Stilly

Stilly
  • Members
  • 16904 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:07 AM

Compare what I painted in the first post to the above. Theres going to be tears isnt there.... :wub:

Haha, my stuff looked a lot like yours - remember GW have hairy guys that spend all their time painting miniatures.

Check out more 40k stuff in all their beauty - remember, these are regular size Warhammer 40,000 and NOT Epic:

Posted Image
Chaos warhound titan

Posted Image
Tyranid hierophant bio titan

Posted Image
Eldar revenant titan

Posted Image
Thunderhawk transporter (395!!)

Posted Image
Stormsword super heavy siege tank

#33 Metallichick

Metallichick
  • Members
  • 2498 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

I'm probably going to get my brother some of this stuff for Christmas, he collects the 40k Chaos Space Marines stuff (I think that's what my mum said it was). Would it matter much if I bought him something he may already have? Or would it make me the worst sister ever.

#34 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29788 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

I'm probably going to get my brother some of this stuff for Christmas, he collects the 40k Chaos Space Marines stuff I think it is. Would it matter much if I bought him something he may already have? Or would it make me the worst sister ever.

Probably. Id at least have a sneak peek at what he does have before buying anything.

#35 Metallichick

Metallichick
  • Members
  • 2498 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:19 AM

Probably. Id at least have a sneak peek at what he does have before buying anything.

Dammit. Oh well, thank you anyway :wub: I think I'll get him to write a list of stuff he wants/needs.

#36 TehStu

TehStu
  • Supporters
  • 24737 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:26 AM

They now do regular 40k titans at just 280 each, mail order only!

Link to GW

Posted Image

Oh man, that's win.

Please tell me it's made of lead and not this cheap plastic pish that adorns 40k these days.

#37 Stilly

Stilly
  • Members
  • 16904 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

Plastic unfortunately. I held one at GW in the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago and it's very light but feels quite good quality. 280 for a nine inch plastic model though... jeepers!

#38 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

Please tell me it's made of lead and not this cheap plastic pish that adorns 40k these days.

They don't do ANY lead models anymore.

Also, the plastic moulding process has improved significantly.

#39 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14431 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:49 AM

Oh man, that's win.

Plastic unfortunately. I held one at GW in the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago and it's very light but feels quite good quality. 280 for a nine inch plastic model though... jeepers!

I think they're actually resin not plastic, as thats what Forgeworld usually produce their things in, don't quote me on that though!

I've got quite a few armies for my sins: Tyranids, Space Marines (Raven Guard Scout company and a Salamander 1st company - all Terminators which I'll finish one day!) and Daemon Hunters (Mostly Grey Knights) for 40k, most in the mid stages of painting, and a Lizardmen Fantasy army. Used to play quite a lot but haven't for a while now.

Did used to have some more pics of stuff but I only seem to have this one chap now - Salamanders Terminator with Assault cannon if you're interested:

Posted Image

P.s. if you want to see a pricey model, scroll down to the price of the Tau Manta here

#40 Stilly

Stilly
  • Members
  • 16904 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:02 AM

Posted Image
:wub: 895!!!

I painted my marines and terminators as Crimson Fists as I think the very first space marine boxset cover had them in those colours, but sadly that type quickly vanished off the horizon.

#41 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18747 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

I once walked into a Games Workshop during a Bath meet with veloS and Gaz, and veloS was like 'lol, look at all these geeks'. He was serious.

#42 smoothe

smoothe
  • Members
  • 2330 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:40 AM

I played 40k for a while, but managed to do it without ever buying a figurine from GW. I ebayed most of my stuff, which meant some of it was already painted- though I had to go over most of it! I was more interested in the modding side of things, especially as my army of choice (40k orks) was basically one big joke. So I went to town on some of my guys.

My pride and joy was a squad of stealthy infiltrator orks, which I disguised in cool ways: one was a dice, with hair and little arms coming out; another was basically a tree with a face; another was holding up a big sign saying "I'm not an ork, honest!". The leaders of Ork groups are called Nobs, so the leader of this group I made as a massive penis made of green stuff, with a face and arms. Looking back at them, they were all pretty badly made but I always liked them.

#43 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

They don't do ANY lead models anymore.

Also, the plastic moulding process has improved significantly.

I'm pretty sure the individual models at 9 a pop are. The one Sabreman posted definitely is but it was bought above a year ago.

I once walked into a Games Workshop during a Bath meet with veloS and Gaz, and veloS was like 'lol, look at all these geeks'. He was serious.

Ah, he's not local. He doesn't understand.

#44 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18747 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

I couldn't tell the difference between the girls and boys.

#45 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

Pft, silly Rule. There are never any girls at a Games Workshop store!

#46 Frosty

Frosty
  • Members
  • 4648 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

redbloodcell is right they're made of resin. I'll post some pictures of my friend's Steel Legion Baneblade later if I get the chance, and any other Forgeworldy bits I can find.

I'm pretty sure the individual models at 9 a pop are. The one Sabreman posted definitely is but it was bought above a year ago.

They're a white metal alloy now. Zero lead.

#47 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Bloody pedant. I meant they weren't plastic!

#48 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9486 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

My friend and I when we were about 15/16 used to wander into Games Workshop and "chat up" the boys in there. Much fun!

#49 Couk

Couk
  • Members
  • 7925 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

I never got into Warhammer. My brother and my friends couldn't get enough of it, but the game side sounded long-winded and overcomplicated, and the painting side (which I gave a chance a couple of times) just seemed restrictive, until I painted one of my brother's gretchins (?) with green, orange and purple vertical stripes and yellow eyes, although he didn't appreciate it. I dunno, it just seemed like you had to paint what they told you. As for the shop, I went in there once to buy the bro a birthday present, I found the staff really overbearing and irritating. "Get that bad boy painted up a treat, so easy it's hilarious! We've got scenery painting on saturday, get yourself down here! Come down! GET DOWN HERE ON SATURDAY!".

On a side note, I also don't like LOTR or Star Wars, because i'm like, so different and above that, yeah? WINK

#50 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29788 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

I never got into Warhammer. My brother and my friends couldn't get enough of it, but the game side sounded long-winded and overcomplicated, and the painting side (which I gave a chance a couple of times) just seemed restrictive, until I painted one of my brother's gretchins (?) with green, orange and purple vertical stripes and yellow eyes, although he didn't appreciate it. I dunno, it just seemed like you had to paint what they told you. As for the shop, I went in there once to buy the bro a birthday present, I found the staff really overbearing and irritating. "Get that bad boy painted up a treat, so easy it's hilarious! We've got scenery painting on saturday, get yourself down here! Come down! GET DOWN HERE ON SATURDAY!".

I'm going to have to go in there with my explorer hat and gun arent I? :wub:

#51 PopleGas

PopleGas
  • Members
  • 10712 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

Man i used to love 40k and Space Hulk, genestealers and tyranids and all that stuff use dto scare me a bit :wub:. The mythology of the future stuff was awesome, that Dark Angels captain/commander is amazing Sabreman.

#52 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 13135 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

Being "Old School" I liked GW when the sold other games not just Warhammer and 40K and White Dwarf covered Runequest, D&D, AD&D, TRaveller, Call of Cthulhu etc.

I also liked a lot of the games GW published in the UK - Golden Heroes, Judge Dredd, Battle Cars Talisman.

And they published D&D and Runequest in the Uk at different times.

But I never got into Warhammer or 40K. So by the time GW concentrated only on their own stuff I had stopped going there or buying anything from them.

About 5 years ago I went in to get some figures for a D&D game I was running and the 16 year GW retail monkey asked me what army I was into. To which I replied I'm not, I'm getting minis for D&D. I don't think he understood. :wub:.

That said GW's business model seems amazing in terms of having a largely self-renewing customer base and building in huge loyalty for a period of years, coupled with quite high prices. I suspect they don't have to pay the staff much either as they are probably fan boys.

#53 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

When I was about eight years old I was queuing up outside the store on the first day of a GW sale. I heard some kid walk past saying "I never realised there were so many nerds in Liverpool." :wub:

That said GW's business model seems amazing in terms of having a largely self-renewing customer base and building in huge loyalty for a period of years, coupled with quite high prices.

The prices aren't that high compared to those of publishers of similar quality figures like Privateer Press or Rackham.

#54 Marzipan Travolta

Marzipan Travolta
  • Supporters
  • 9771 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

Necromunda. Now that was amazing. Having all those little named guys. That's what it was all about. The RPG elements were amazing too.

#55 BossSaru

BossSaru
  • Supporters
  • 7187 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

Necromunda. Now that was amazing. Having all those little named guys. That's what it was all about. The RPG elements were amazing too.

Necromunda did indeed rock. Having a small unit meant you could really go to town individualising them and modifying them to have a variety of weapons. I rarely used actual Necromunda models and instead took the better 40k models and added/took away bits. I remember modifying a Vindicare assassin (the guy in the front, below:)
Posted Image
Changed the head, added some other bits and replaced the pistol with a sword. He was my gang leader, and looked da bomb when finished. It was so much better than 40k as it was faster paced, and you could get a decent side for a much better price than you could with the full army games.

#56 merman

merman
  • Members
  • 4893 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have quite a few GW games... Block Mania & Megamania, 1st and 2nd editions of Blood Bowl and so on/

My pride and joy though is my Talisman collection. First edition, which has black & white Adventure card artwork. Two complete Second Edition sets, with full colour cards. All the Second Edition expansions (Expansion, Adventure, Dungeon, Timescape, City)... except the incredibly expensive Dragons.

#57 PopleGas

PopleGas
  • Members
  • 10712 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

My pride and joy though is my Talisman collection. First edition, which has black & white Adventure card artwork. Two complete Second Edition sets, with full colour cards. All the Second Edition expansions (Expansion, Adventure, Dungeon, Timescape, City)... except the incredibly expensive Dragons.

Oh man i'm looking at my Talisman set just now, and the fucking memories are intense, i used to love playing with my dad and bro i also have the timescape, city and dungeon expansions.

#58 martingee

martingee
  • Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

quote:stilly
iirc one of those Emperor titans (the massive ones with church steeples on the roof!), about 12 regular titans, 6 super heavy tanks, around 40 land raiders and 40ish rhinos and approx 600 marines.... but I might be way out. The Epic marines could either be really easy to paint (quick undercoat then topcoat plus a splash of paint for the helmet and shoulder) or very fiddly. I chose the lazy route.

Get that camera out! I demand pictures :wub:

I think stilly is on about the epic titans and marines, the marines were only 6mm tall and were on bases with five of them. The picture you posted was of a 'to scale' warhound that fit the 40k marines.

I originally played Super Bowl and moved onto Warhammer Fantasy and 40k along with Adeptus Titanicus which was the titans, to which they brought out Epic which was the tiny marines.

I now for a fact that they have bumped prices in the past because they couldn't cope with the demand and put it down to the price of pewter at the time (circa '92). Despite the characters been awesome i find it very hard to justify spending 15 on five charcter models.

What also put me off was the fact that they started 'dumbing down' the rules in order to increase their player base, so that any 11-12yr olds could play it. Having played Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader for ages, the new rules over simplified things and basically made the games abit shit imo. Financially it obviously made alot of business sense but kinda ruined it for me.

The novels and stories on the other hand are well worth their money, there was only a few out when i stopped playing but since then they've brought out shedloads and i pick one up now and again and find them to be a great read, particularly as i 'understand' the settings from having played the games when i was younger.

#59 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

You're wrong. They haven't had lead models in ages. They do still do metallic ones, but not lead.

#60 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

Yeah! They don't do it anymore, do they? :o

I used to hate painting the models, and loved playing the game. I knew all the rules to all of the main games :wub:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)