Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

• Please log in to reply
4555 replies to this topic

#4231 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3704 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks. A couple of friends and I are looking at starting Legends of the Old West which is based on LOTR with some Necromunda thrown in. So I like the basic rules.

That sounds cool, have you had a chance to give it a go yet?

#4232 Floshenbarnical

Floshenbarnical
  • Members
  • 4605 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Reading this thread has made me want to get back into Warhammer again. I stopped when I was 17 because I had to choose between running my car and collecting, but now that I have a bit of money and a great deal of time I'm going to crack out the paintbrushes. I was never into gaming particularly, unless it was on Sundays at school—painting was my thing. I was pretty good at it but nowhere near the standard of Cocky and JoeZ. Jesus, guys. Talent.

Just out of interest, I have a few squads of Cadians, a Chimera, a Hellhound, and some other bits and pieces. Also, a fair amount of High Elf stuff. Would it be worth putting it in the Trading folder? I don't want much for it, I'm just moving to the States and can't take it with me, and don't want to have odds and sods lying about my parents' house in storage.

#4233 tcharliel

tcharliel
  • Supporters
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

If you haven't done already it is probably worth putting it in the trading folder. I'm certainly interested in the High Elf bits.

#4234 Floshenbarnical

Floshenbarnical
  • Members
  • 4605 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Cool. Will do. I just have no idea how much to ask.

#4235 tcharliel

tcharliel
  • Supporters
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

If you put up a few photos I'm sure we can give you an idea of how much to ask. Depends a lot on whether they're painted/condition of models etc

#4236 Floshenbarnical

Floshenbarnical
  • Members
  • 4605 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

Warhammer 40,000

- Leman Russ
- Chimera
- Hellhound
- Heavy Bolter team (2 guys)
- 2x squads Cadian Shock Troops
- Space Marine Terminator with Storm Bolter, targeting light, and a missile launcher mounted on his back.

Warhammer

- High Elf Prince Imrik, Dragonlord
- Tyrion (missing horse, will attempt to find it)
- Mage
- Most of an unbuilt, mostly unpainted Silver Helms unit
- Chariot

+ Lots and lots of High Elf bits, will make up most of both an Archer and a Spearmen unit, in addition to loads of 40K bits.

Photos in the morning.

#4237 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2033 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

Here's my latest model:

Posted Image

Suggestions on how to base the model to compensate for the stupid pose of the horse would be much appreciated.

#4238 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Bit of an odd question, but has the White Dwarf with the 40k 6th edition preview been out in the UK yet? Although I haven't played since just after the release of the 3rd edition I like to keep an eye on what they're doing and I saw this:

which calls it out as issue 390, but issue 390 here doesn't have this information in it. I'm aware the US & UK versions are different but from my experiences (and we're going back over a decade here) is that the US was about a month behind in content.

#4239 Rogue Soul

Rogue Soul
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yup, it's out. The UK issue number is #391 - it was released last Saturday. It very loosely highlights some of the new rules in the new 40k 6th Edition - which is launching tomorrow with a big hardback rulebook.

Details of the new 40k boxset (with a slim rulebook) haven't been revealed yet, so it's probably another month or two away.

#4240 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks! Local Tesco is still carrying 390 :angry:

#4241 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2033 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I guess gw were pretty pleased about the news about the third hobbit movie. And so am I because I just love painting this stuff.

Attached File  Celeborn 2.jpg   121.4KB   1 downloads

#4242 Benji Dude

Benji Dude
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Really nice work there Cocky, loving the muted tones and the softness you've got into all the cloth.

#4243 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2033 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

A huge list of future gw releases has been leaked onto the internet. The Hobbit stuff is interesting as it gives an idea of what may feature in the movies - including a model called
Spoiler

#4244 RFT

RFT
  • Members
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

The makers of awesome iOS game, Hunters (and Hunters 2) have been contracted to make an iOS version of Warhammer quest.

http://www.games-wor...jsp?pid=3600036

#4245 Mentazm

Mentazm
  • Members
  • 6361 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Warhammer Quest like Heroquest?

#4246 RFT

RFT
  • Members
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Sort of. Heroquest led to Advanced Heroquest, which then gave rise to Warhammer Quest.

It's something of a legendary entry in the Games Workshop "canon" and complete used copies are worth a lot of money.

http://en.wikipedia....Warhammer_Quest

http://boardgamegeek...warhammer-quest

#4247 Mentazm

Mentazm
  • Members
  • 6361 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Right, looks good!

#4248 Benji Dude

Benji Dude
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just a shame it's only coming to Apple devices, I'd be far mroe interested if it were coming to android devices as well.

#4249 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 14711 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Lacking either, I'd just like a Windows version (or an HP Touchpad version, but somehow I think that unlikely ;)) - I'm not sure I'd be willing to splash out on an iPad just for Warhammer Quest.

#4250 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Just a shame it's only coming to Apple devices, I'd be far mroe interested if it were coming to android devices as well.

They recently released their books digitally exclusing to the iBookStore so it seems like they've tied themselves pretty firmly to Apple which is quite annoying (although not many of their books are actually worth reading).

#4251 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9716 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm on a painting roll at the moment...this is going to be a stupidly extravagant base, but hey it's going to look fun when it's all done. In three parts...apologies for the terrible photos.

Posted Image

Lots of blood.

Posted Image

Suitably chaotic rock formation.

Posted Image

Not sure how the Bloodletter got there, but there we go :)

#4252 RFT

RFT
  • Members
  • 2024 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Lacking either, I'd just like a Windows version (or an HP Touchpad version, but somehow I think that unlikely ;)) - I'm not sure I'd be willing to splash out on an iPad just for Warhammer Quest.

Probably still cheaper than a boxed copy of the new game ;-)

Rodeo are brining Hunters 2 to android, so a port of WHQ, some time down the line, may be possible.

#4253 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9716 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

POPULAR

Not quite finished yet, but I've had a bit of a deadline to hit on it, so the thing will have to wait for a little while (also, I had...erm...issues with the large plinth too. Tip...don't plonk fingers on still sticky glue. It buggers up the effect somewhat).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Want to add a few more odds and ends to the base too, but happy enough with the resuly so far.

#4254 Treble

Treble
  • Supporters
  • 7307 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Amazing! Very well lit and shot, too. Any chance of a close-up of the ol' demon, too?

#4255 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9716 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'll give it a whirl when I get the thing properly finished in a week :) . Need to use a different camara though - my old digital one really struggles on the details these days!

#4256 Rogue Soul

Rogue Soul
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

For those who still play / or like some pretty models, the new boxset for Warhammer 40k (6th Edition) will be available from next week. Its called 'Dark Vengeance' and features Dark Angels and Armies of Chaos (Space Marines & Cultists!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG70lTjCZZA

http://www.games-wor...Id=prod1700011a

#4257 Treble

Treble
  • Supporters
  • 7307 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'll give it a whirl when I get the thing properly finished in a week :) . Need to use a different camara though - my old digital one really struggles on the details these days!

Nice one. Were you using a light box for those shots? If you're getting a new compact camera for close shots, try and find one with a good rep for macro shots, and great ISO performance. What sort if money were you thinking of spending?

#4258 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2033 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

For those who still play / or like some pretty models, the new boxset for Warhammer 40k (6th Edition) will be available from next week. Its called 'Dark Vengeance' and features Dark Angels and Armies of Chaos (Space Marines & Cultists!)

The hellbrute model is all kinds of amaze. I'm really looking forward to paint it.

#4259 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9716 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Nice one. Were you using a light box for those shots? If you're getting a new compact camera for close shots, try and find one with a good rep for macro shots, and great ISO performance. What sort if money were you thinking of spending?

I do have a better camera lurking around, but it's down to pure laziness on my part (and the fact it's my other half's 'special' possession) that stops me from using it that often. Last time I used it I forgot to change the settings back, and I got told off somewhat :P . I occasionally use my lightbox, but quite honestly, I have a slightly cramped working space for using it, so more often than not it gets left out of the equation!

#4260 Rogue Soul

Rogue Soul
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

The hellbrute model is all kinds of amaze. I'm really looking forward to paint it.

Quite! :D

Posted Image

That model is really making me consider starting a Chaos army... but which god to choose? hmmm

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)