Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

4,874 posts in this topic

Reading this thread has made me want to get back into Warhammer again. I stopped when I was 17 because I had to choose between running my car and collecting, but now that I have a bit of money and a great deal of time I'm going to crack out the paintbrushes. I was never into gaming particularly, unless it was on Sundays at school—painting was my thing. I was pretty good at it but nowhere near the standard of Cocky and JoeZ. Jesus, guys. Talent.

Just out of interest, I have a few squads of Cadians, a Chimera, a Hellhound, and some other bits and pieces. Also, a fair amount of High Elf stuff. Would it be worth putting it in the Trading folder? I don't want much for it, I'm just moving to the States and can't take it with me, and don't want to have odds and sods lying about my parents' house in storage.

If you haven't done already it is probably worth putting it in the trading folder. I'm certainly interested in the High Elf bits.

If you put up a few photos I'm sure we can give you an idea of how much to ask. Depends a lot on whether they're painted/condition of models etc

Warhammer 40,000

- Leman Russ

- Chimera

- Hellhound

- Heavy Bolter team (2 guys)

- 2x squads Cadian Shock Troops

- Space Marine Terminator with Storm Bolter, targeting light, and a missile launcher mounted on his back.

Warhammer

- High Elf Prince Imrik, Dragonlord

- Tyrion (missing horse, will attempt to find it)

- Mage

- Most of an unbuilt, mostly unpainted Silver Helms unit

- Chariot

+ Lots and lots of High Elf bits, will make up most of both an Archer and a Spearmen unit, in addition to loads of 40K bits.

Photos in the morning.

Here's my latest model:

7399986752_f451d966d1.jpg

Suggestions on how to base the model to compensate for the stupid pose of the horse would be much appreciated.

Bit of an odd question, but has the White Dwarf with the 40k 6th edition preview been out in the UK yet? Although I haven't played since just after the release of the 3rd edition I like to keep an eye on what they're doing and I saw this:

which calls it out as issue 390, but issue 390 here doesn't have this information in it. I'm aware the US & UK versions are different but from my experiences (and we're going back over a decade here) is that the US was about a month behind in content.

Yup, it's out. The UK issue number is #391 - it was released last Saturday. It very loosely highlights some of the new rules in the new 40k 6th Edition - which is launching tomorrow with a big hardback rulebook.

Details of the new 40k boxset (with a slim rulebook) haven't been revealed yet, so it's probably another month or two away.

I guess gw were pretty pleased about the news about the third hobbit movie. And so am I because I just love painting this stuff.

post-1047-0-91758100-1344029816_thumb.jp

Really nice work there Cocky, loving the muted tones and the softness you've got into all the cloth.

A huge list of future gw releases has been leaked onto the internet. The Hobbit stuff is interesting as it gives an idea of what may feature in the movies - including a model called

Turin, the Dragonslayer!

Just a shame it's only coming to Apple devices, I'd be far mroe interested if it were coming to android devices as well.

Lacking either, I'd just like a Windows version (or an HP Touchpad version, but somehow I think that unlikely ;)) - I'm not sure I'd be willing to splash out on an iPad just for Warhammer Quest.

Just a shame it's only coming to Apple devices, I'd be far mroe interested if it were coming to android devices as well.

They recently released their books digitally exclusing to the iBookStore so it seems like they've tied themselves pretty firmly to Apple which is quite annoying (although not many of their books are actually worth reading).

I'm on a painting roll at the moment...this is going to be a stupidly extravagant base, but hey it's going to look fun when it's all done. In three parts...apologies for the terrible photos.

DSC03709.jpg

Lots of blood.

DSC03711.jpg

Suitably chaotic rock formation.

DSC03712.jpg

Not sure how the Bloodletter got there, but there we go :)

Lacking either, I'd just like a Windows version (or an HP Touchpad version, but somehow I think that unlikely ;)) - I'm not sure I'd be willing to splash out on an iPad just for Warhammer Quest.

Probably still cheaper than a boxed copy of the new game ;-)

Rodeo are brining Hunters 2 to android, so a port of WHQ, some time down the line, may be possible.

Amazing! Very well lit and shot, too. Any chance of a close-up of the ol' demon, too?

I'll give it a whirl when I get the thing properly finished in a week :) . Need to use a different camara though - my old digital one really struggles on the details these days!

I'll give it a whirl when I get the thing properly finished in a week :) . Need to use a different camara though - my old digital one really struggles on the details these days!

Nice one. Were you using a light box for those shots? If you're getting a new compact camera for close shots, try and find one with a good rep for macro shots, and great ISO performance. What sort if money were you thinking of spending?

For those who still play / or like some pretty models, the new boxset for Warhammer 40k (6th Edition) will be available from next week. Its called 'Dark Vengeance' and features Dark Angels and Armies of Chaos (Space Marines & Cultists!)

The hellbrute model is all kinds of amaze. I'm really looking forward to paint it.

Nice one. Were you using a light box for those shots? If you're getting a new compact camera for close shots, try and find one with a good rep for macro shots, and great ISO performance. What sort if money were you thinking of spending?

I do have a better camera lurking around, but it's down to pure laziness on my part (and the fact it's my other half's 'special' possession) that stops me from using it that often. Last time I used it I forgot to change the settings back, and I got told off somewhat :P . I occasionally use my lightbox, but quite honestly, I have a slightly cramped working space for using it, so more often than not it gets left out of the equation!

The hellbrute model is all kinds of amaze. I'm really looking forward to paint it.

Quite! :D

m2540261a_60010199006_DVHelbrute01_873x627.jpg

That model is really making me consider starting a Chaos army... but which god to choose? hmmm