The Mars Volta

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 dam_aks

dam_aks
  • Members
  • 8363 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

I've heard this in quite few corners of the internet and is one of the reasons I haven't plumped to see them live on their upcoming tour (the rest being money, distance and a holiday to pay for).

Without doubt one of my favourite bands, but the Scab Dates live album is vastly disappointing. It was by no means as bad as some of the live reviews I read, but 40 mins for Cicatriz Esp was a tad stupid. If I paid to see that show I would of left really annoyed. For such a good track, as the last of good gig, it shouldn't be dragged out over half an hour! :lol:

I'm all for experimental noodling and wankery in music, and the music they have created is mindblowing at times, but every rock gig needs a memorable encore. I could be wrong. I haven't seen them yet and I really hope I don't regret not seeing them this year. Be good to see some live reviews on here for those that do.

If you love the band then you should regret not seeing them live. Scab dates is probably my most unfavoured release of theirs, and definitely the one I listen to the least - however I think the live show The Mars Volta put on is absolutely stunning. The jamming/noodling/wankery between songs is fantastic, it builds up the intensity of their songs. Slowly the pieces start coming together and exploding with energy. It cannot be compared to or captured to a record because what they are doing is to be experienced there, in person, it feels unique - even if it is just incredibly well rehearsed.

Incidentally, I hate encores. If a band is doing one, they've prepared for it. That isn't an encore, that is going off stage a bit before the end of your allotted playing time then nipping back on again. They have lost all meaning for gigs today. I'd rather a band came out and played their arses off then that's it, rather than letting the audience massage their egos for them.

#62 coatnoize

coatnoize
  • Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

Incidentally, I hate encores. If a band is doing one, they've prepared for it. That isn't an encore, that is going off stage a bit before the end of your allotted playing time then nipping back on again. They have lost all meaning for gigs today. I'd rather a band came out and played their arses off then that's it, rather than letting the audience massage their egos for them.

This is very valid and I am by no way suggesting that they do an encore. It would be totally un-TMV-like, not suiting the band at all. I just can't help it, part of me loves experimental progessive techniques of truly ambitous music and part of me loves the cliched rock excess and narcisstic nature of the sterotypical rock star/band. This is a prime example of where these two things clash for me.

I really would like to have gone to this tour, and my girlfriend offered to get me tickets, but literally no one I know likes the band. A 700 mile round trip, on public transport, on my own just didn't sell it to me. Ho hum, at least they still making decent records. :lol:

#63 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Well........... how is it? I can't hear my cd until I go home at the weekend. Strangely, I loved their first two albums almost instantaneously, was put off by Amputechture (supposedly their most commericial album) for about 6 months before I heard it. Everything I have heard of Bedlam so far I have liked, I just want to glean an inkling of how good it is.

#64 Vaya.

Vaya.
  • Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Well........... how is it? I can't hear my cd until I go home at the weekend. Strangely, I loved their first two albums almost instantaneously, was put off by Amputechture (supposedly their most commericial album) for about 6 months before I heard it. Everything I have heard of Bedlam so far I have liked, I just want to glean an inkling of how good it is.

In my opinion

1. deloused
2. frances
3. bedlam
4. amputecture
5. scabdates.

It's pretty standard for them, I think it's a bit too 'Safe' if you get me.

#65 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

I am not happy with the fact that no tracks exceed 10 minutes, but I can't wait to hear it.

#66 Clap Your Hands

Clap Your Hands
  • Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

Getting it tomorrow, i'll post thoughts on it tomorrow. The newest mars volta record always ends up being my favourite, i just love them that much. so prepare for gushing.

surely deloused is their most commercial? its basically the favourite album of people who prefer at the drive-in, not that's a bad thing. I think amputecture is their least commercial, just because its all action and no respite.

#67 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

There is no hilarious Pitchfork review yet, I'm disappointed.

#68 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16173 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

There is no hilarious Pitchfork review yet, I'm disappointed.

Are The Mars Volta a band Pitchfork hates? I don't follow the site muchly.

#69 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

With a passion. I think this time they may be going the ignore route, which would be a shame, as their vituperative reviews always make me smile a bit.

#70 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16173 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Wow, sounds like the shitty Teletext music service.

#71 Emir

Emir
  • Members
  • 2821 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

There were moments when I saw them last (November 2003 according to the ticket I just found) that were awesome (in the genuine sense of the word), people around me were staring at each other in a state of semi-shock but then othertimes they bored the crowd witless. I've got tickets for the Manchester Apollo show so will post up my thoughts afterwards.

Agreed on the comments about awestruck crowds. Some of the extended guitar-wankery and stuff might seem excessive, but I think it really creates the most intense atmosphere and it's great to see them linking these pieces of music like some kind of jigsaw puzzle. I've seen 'em live 3 times but not for a while. The last gig I travelled to was abruptly cancelled in Manchester after booking a hotel, time off work etc. Cedric supposedly had vocal issues. I reckon he had just smoked too much crack.
I've got tickets for the Apollo show too. They best not fuck me over again. I queued for hours in the cold and rain for that. _

#72 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16173 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Oh shit, they're touring! Oh shit, I don't know anyone who likes 'em. D'OH.

#73 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

After reading the glowing Allmusic review, didn't realise before that John Frusciante was involved with this. I guess he's not part of the live band?

#74 bastion

bastion
  • Members
  • 26493 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'm amazed by some parts of this thread.

Bedlam In Goliath is "Safe"?!

In the sense that you've got distinct, shorter tracks in this album, you might call it safe.

But nothing about this music is safe. It's the soundtrack of the revolution!

It's fucking powerful, heart-in-your-mouth shit.

Safe!

#75 Vaya.

Vaya.
  • Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I'm amazed by some parts of this thread.

Bedlam In Goliath is "Safe"?!

In the sense that you've got distinct, shorter tracks in this album, you might call it safe.

It's fucking powerful, heart-in-your-mouth shit.

Safe!

safe compared to their other albums. Which is understandable considering the changes in drummer and all the problems they had making it. No 5-minutes-of-rewinding here.

#76 coatnoize

coatnoize
  • Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

I still have my 'musical blueprint for the future: 5/5' sticker on the front of my De-Loused album. Describes the band (and album) perfectly I think. :lol:

#77 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

Loving it, but it seems they went into overload with the double-tracked vocals. Its a bit unrelenting for the first half.

#78 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Really starting to sink in now. Yes of course, it is wildly inconsistent and all over the shop, but it has some absolute stand out moments. Really digging Ilyena and Oubourobos or whatever it is called at the moment.

Incidentally, the 2nd half of Goliath, where he sings "All my life ever since I've been born, I've never heard a man speak like this man before", is apparently taken from the transcripts of the tapes from the Jonestown Massacre and was a woman singing about their leader.

#79 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Is this available on vinyl? I've had a look around online but can't seem to see anything.

#80 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

No word yet, apparently it will come with a ouija board when it does emerge.

#81 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

The question is, seeing how close they are and how long they have been around. chances are that Cedric and Omar have had sex. No?

#82 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

Regardless, I assume Pridgen must be possessed by a fucking devil to play like he does. This is one of the most pure drumming led albums I have ever heard.

#83 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

Not as hilariously wrong as normal then.

Pitchfork Review

#84 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16173 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, I like this new album, but the last track sounds like some bad version of Oasis.

#85 jjjjjames

jjjjjames
  • Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Agreed on the comments about awestruck crowds. Some of the extended guitar-wankery and stuff might seem excessive, but I think it really creates the most intense atmosphere and it's great to see them linking these pieces of music like some kind of jigsaw puzzle. I've seen 'em live 3 times but not for a while. The last gig I travelled to was abruptly cancelled in Manchester after booking a hotel, time off work etc. Cedric supposedly had vocal issues. I reckon he had just smoked too much crack.
I've got tickets for the Apollo show too. They best not fuck me over again. I queued for hours in the cold and rain for that. _

I feel you. I hired a car and drove over to Manc from Sheffield. Took ages to park and find a taxi (cos didnt know where it was) then pulled up outside and 2u4twy0q[ gf2[f24f12!!!!!!!!!!! or something came out of my mouth when I found out.

By the by,
The penis thing says "I got a pain that could rip through..." in the lyrics. But that's not what I heard either...

#86 zektbach

zektbach
  • Members
  • 7718 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

I fucking love this album. There isn't really much else to say, but it's bloody brilliant.

#87 Fierce Poodle

Fierce Poodle
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, I like this new album, but the last track sounds like some bad version of Oasis.

The Syd Barrett cover?

#88 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16173 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Syd Barrett? Holy moly. I just think the lead singer (Omar? I can't remember his name) just can't do 'the voice' at all.

#89 wretcherd

wretcherd
  • Members
  • 1259 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

There are a lot of albums which are tainted by a terrible bonus track, usually exclusive to the UK version too.

Thanks for the generosity , lads, but you really shouldn't have bothered.

#90 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15216 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Bloody hell, I found this earlier:

Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus Live

Is it off the Bedlam bonus dvd?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users