• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 tyler

tyler
  • Moderators
  • 21720 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

Halo 3: Heroic Map Pack

Halo® 3 players will be able to enjoy three all new multiplayer maps on December 11 as part of the Heroic Map Pack, the first in a series of downloadable content from Bungie Studios to come via Xbox LIVE®.

Available for 800 Microsoft Points exclusively on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, each map presents a totally different play style.

* The symmetrical valley of Standoff, with its entrenched bases and fields of boulders is ideal for mid-sized objective and Slayer game types.

* The vast, labyrinthine passages of the Rat's Nest bring something completely new to the multiplayer experience: an indoor vehicle paradise. Strongly influenced by the Campaign mode, this map is ideal for big team battles.

* Foundry is the ultimate Forge map. Players can edit every single object in this voluminous industrial warehouse, placing stairways, walls, bridges, and tunnels to create an entirely new play space and build almost any kind of map imaginable.

All three maps will become available for free download via Xbox LIVE Marketplace in Spring 2008, just prior to the next wave of new Halo 3 multiplayer maps.

We'll have more information on the Heroic Map Pack, including how to get the pack for those who haven't downloaded content before, as the release date nears.

Posted Image
Top to bottom: Foundry, Rat's Nest, Standoff

Hopefully we'll get some more details, maybe some more screens, from bungie.net later in the day.

#2 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Hooray! I was hoping they'd be before xmas but I thought we'd only get 2. A touch pricey perchance but I'll buy them.

#3 MW_Jimmy

MW_Jimmy
  • Supporters
  • 6665 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

I win!

I said they'd do the first downloadable content before christmas. I also said they'd bung 3-4 maps together for 800 points.

"Spring" feels awfully near for the next bout of content though. Hmm. Depending on the spacing I might not pay.

#4 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Foundry sounds like it could be epic.

#5 Timmo

Timmo

Internationally renowned idiot

• Members
  • 24169 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

How does this work? No chance I'm buying them at that stupid price, so how does it affect matchmaking? Are people who have taken the plunge seperated completely from those who haven't or what?

#6 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

I said they'd do the first downloadable content before christmas. I also said they'd bung 3-4 maps together for 800 points.

No you didn't.

"Spring" feels awfully near for the next bout of content though. Hmm. Depending on the spacing I might not pay.

Awesome. 800 points for the benefit of avoiding Jimmy for a few months sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. ;)

#7 MW_Jimmy

MW_Jimmy
  • Supporters
  • 6665 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

How does this work? No chance I'm buying them at that stupid price, so how does it affect matchmaking? Does everyone have to have bought it for you to play it, or are people who have taken the plunge seperated completely from those who haven't or what?

If it's like Halo 2 it will be special playlists created for the new content. You'll be able to play them in custom games as long as everybody has bought the content.

Panda: Yes I did! I said multiple times that I could see them releasing new content near christmas as the September release was so early, and the new content would serve as good marketing for the holiday season.

#8 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

How does this work? No chance I'm buying them at that stupid price, so how does it affect matchmaking? Does everyone have to have bought it for you to play it, or are people who have taken the plunge seperated completely from those who haven't or what?

There will be special playlists for the new maps, then when they become free they'll be incorporated into the other lists.

Well, that's what happened with 2 and it'll almost certainly be the same.

#9 Timmo

Timmo

Internationally renowned idiot

• Members
  • 24169 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

Thanks.

It's a ludicrous price for what can't have been a huge amount of work.

#10 tyler

tyler
  • Moderators
  • 21720 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Some bigger screens:

Foundry
Posted Image

Rat's Nest
Posted Image

Standoff
Posted Image

#11 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

I don't know really, it's what, £2.25 per map? It's not that bad. If you play a lot.

#12 Guest_alisdair_*

Guest_alisdair_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, multiplayer maps aren't much work, they probably only take about 10 minutes to make. I'll be buying them anyway.

#13 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thanks.

Yea, designing maps is a piece of piss.

#14 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

The real question is 'are they all good?'. Because it's better to not have more maps than to have bad ones. I thought the average quality of 2's DLC maps was a bit lower than the originals, but then the average quality of 3's are higher than 2's.

Whatever, new maps excite me. ;)

#15 tyler

tyler
  • Moderators
  • 21720 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

I thought they would have thrown out the first DLC for free (maybe just 2 maps) to get new users used to downloading them and integrating them into matchmaking but I'll still be first in the queue. 'Team Preview' wasn't ideal but hopefully they'll have some better ideas for playlists this time around.

#16 Guest_alisdair_*

Guest_alisdair_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Just from that one screenshot, Standoff looks amazing. Can't wait.

Foundry will definitely be interesting to play around with Forge, and it's great that they've designed a map with that in mind. Trying to create novel gametypes on the current map can be frustrating, since you can't control things like the gates on High Ground/Last Resort or the shield doors on Snowbound/Epitaph. Previous Bungie updates have said that you'll even be able to place shield doors on Foundry.

Rat's Nest confuses me, specifically the description:

(A)n indoor vehicle paradise. Strongly influenced by the Campaign mode, this map is ideal for big team battles.

Where are there indoor vehicles in Campaign? The single screenshot reminds me a bit of The Storm, but there were no indoor vehicle sections there.

Also, the combination of indoor, vehicles, and BTB is intriguing. I can't really imagine how it will work, so I'm looking forward to finding out.

#17 Tom*

Tom*
  • Members
  • 8438 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

Standoff has pretty colours ;)

#18 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 31045 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Standoff has pretty colours ;)

And a lush view.

#19 Guest_alisdair_*

Guest_alisdair_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Loads more details on Bungie.net:

When Halo 2's downloadable content joined the Internet, it effectively split the Matchmaking population into the "haves" and the "have-nots," Bungie was readily aware of the problem that caused, and has rectified it in Halo 3. First, when downloadable content arrives, it will have its own playlist for those folks who just want to play with their new toys. Simultaneously all of the DLC maps will be rolled in to the regular Matchmaking playlists as well and then as folks are getting matched up, the game will take into account who has what maps in the matchmaking process. So you'll see Team Slayer on Standoff show up in the Team Slayer hopper as well as in the new DLC-focused playlist.

#20 MalevolentPanda

MalevolentPanda
  • Supporters
  • 18073 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Excellent.

#21 tyler

tyler
  • Moderators
  • 21720 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

Lovely.

#22 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

Foundry
Posted Image

I may be the only one that thinks so, but that looks REALLY similar to one of the indoor maps from Lost Planet.

#23 Straps

Straps
  • Members
  • 7455 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

Looks a bit like Elongation to me. Fingers crossed it's not as shit, eh?

And Standoff looks utterly immense.

#24 Jumble Jumble

Jumble Jumble
  • Supporters
  • 12161 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

It seems fairly obvious that the only thing in Foundry that's fixed is the walls; i.e., they've given you a box to put stuff in. Should be good, as long as there's enough different "stuff".

#25 K

K
  • Members
  • 20831 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

Where are there indoor vehicles in Campaign? The single screenshot reminds me a bit of The Storm, but there were no indoor vehicle sections there.

Dunno about indoor vehicles, but the screenshot reminded me of 'Crow's Nest'.

I'm slightly disappointed that the maps are all Earth-themed, as I prefer the look of the Forerunner maps. Still, Standoff looks ace.

#26 Jumble Jumble

Jumble Jumble
  • Supporters
  • 12161 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

Maybe we'll get Forerunner ones in the next pack. I'd like some that actually felt like they took place on a Halo or on the Ark - and I don't just mean the upward-curving horizon details. Dunno how they'd get that feeling across though.

#27 K

K
  • Members
  • 20831 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:16 PM

Maybe we'll get Forerunner ones in the next pack. I'd like some that actually felt like they took place on a Halo or on the Ark - and I don't just mean the upward-curving horizon details. Dunno how they'd get that feeling across though.

Have it next to the walls at the edge of the Halo? It's weird how Halo 3 is the first Halo game not to have any levels set on a Halo.

#28 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

Have it next to the walls at the edge of the Halo? It's weird how Halo 3 is the first Halo game not to have any levels set on a Halo.

Last levels on Halo3 are.

#29 K

K
  • Members
  • 20831 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Last levels on Halo3 are.

Doh! Of course. Well, the last level is, what with it being called 'Halo'. Still, none of the multiplayer levels are.

#30 Guest_alisdair_*

Guest_alisdair_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Media coverage of the map pack:

Loads of screenshots

Tied the Leader commentary

HBO article

1up impressions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users