CoD4 Multiplayer Discussion

• Please log in to reply
2527 replies to this topic

#31 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10117 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Has anyone unlocked the later sniper rifles yet? I've got hold of the Druganov a few times, which seems noticably more powerful than the firt semi-auto rifle you get. How about the other two?

That semi-auto sniper rifle is shit. What use a sniper rifle if it doesn't kill in one shot, never mind 2 with that thing. :wub:

#32 Timmo

Timmo

Internationally renowned idiot

• Members
  • 24471 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

The forth sniper is bolt action (not tried it), the last one I think I picked up once, it was amazing. I'd still rather have a G5 in my hands for long ranging, though.

The last two assault rifles are where my interest lies. The G36C is completely rubbish.

#33 Pob

Pob
  • Moderators
  • 12709 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

The forth sniper is bolt action (not tried it),

Is it? It's semi-auto in single player, though it only has four rounds per clip. I was thinking a powerful sniper rifle with a four-round clip sounded perfect.

#34 polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
  • Members
  • 4522 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

I love district, overgrown, downpour, block, crossfire and pipeline.

I'm a rather impatient player and I'm still very much in the mindset of playing quake/3/ut as that's where I've spent most my multiplayer fps time. As a consequence I end up with normally quite a lot of kills but also quite a lot of deaths which isn't ideal (I get loads of UACs but very few airstrike/helicopter in a match). I really need to start being more careful.

#35 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

That semi-auto sniper rifle is shit. What use a sniper rifle if it doesn't kill in one shot, never mind 2 with that thing. :wub:

They've changed it considerably then since the beta, because that thing used to be lethal and unbalanced.

The G36C is completely rubbish.

That was my RS: Vegas weapon-of-choice. ;)

#36 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7410 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

I don't have a problem with any maps, they're all great, I seem to always be put into games on Crossfire though. Playing against Rogue Soul last night in the forum games has shown me lots of places I never knew you could get into, especially on one map, can't remember what it's called but it has a train yard in it, where he was up on a very high gantry and sniped pretty much my whole team from up there. I think I died two or three times before I knew where he was and even when I got up there he was waiting for me. So I went onto ranked games and on that map I took the Rogue method and ended up winning easily :wub:

#37 Timmo

Timmo

• Members
  • 24471 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

I scanned the CoD4 forum looking for information on the maths involved in Jeggernaut/Stopping Power (couldn't find it), and I found a thread where someone had dug out the source code for the PC version. The G36C is bettered by the M4 Carbine in every way possible - even reload time. Apparently the bars on the weapon select screen can't be trusted. There was no info for other weapons, though. Then again, I think it'd remove the magic a bit to know.

#38 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10117 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

I don't have a problem with any maps, they're all great, I seem to always be put into games on Crossfire though. Playing against Rogue Soul last night in the forum games has shown me lots of places I never knew you could get into, especially on one map, can't remember what it's called but it has a train yard in it, where he was up on a very high gantry and sniped pretty much my whole team from up there. I think I died two or three times before I knew where he was and even when I got up there he was waiting for me. So I went onto ranked games and on that map I took the Rogue method and ended up winning easily ;)

I want to get a kill on Rogue Soul then have the facility to stamp on his head, kick him in the nads and spit on him whilst yelling die you mofo! :wub: Who the hell is he anyway?

#39 Pob

Pob
  • Moderators
  • 12709 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

They've changed it considerably then since the beta, because that thing used to be lethal and unbalanced.

Thinking about it, it is pretty weak. You either have to get a perfect headshot or end up emptying the whole clip into them, which doesn't work at long range because of the shaky-scope.

How powerful is first bolt action rifle? One kill for headshot, two for body? I might revert to that.

#40 polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
  • Members
  • 4522 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

I don't have a problem with any maps, they're all great, I seem to always be put into games on Crossfire though. Playing against Rogue Soul last night in the forum games has shown me lots of places I never knew you could get into, especially on one map, can't remember what it's called but it has a train yard in it, where he was up on a very high gantry and sniped pretty much my whole team from up there. I think I died two or three times before I knew where he was and even when I got up there he was waiting for me. So I went onto ranked games and on that map I took the Rogue method and ended up winning easily :wub:

That would be pipeline. I eventually got him up there but it took me about 8 deaths to do it.

#41 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

I don't have a problem with any maps, they're all great, I seem to always be put into games on Crossfire though. Playing against Rogue Soul last night in the forum games has shown me lots of places I never knew you could get into, especially on one map, can't remember what it's called but it has a train yard in it, where he was up on a very high gantry and sniped pretty much my whole team from up there. I think I died two or three times before I knew where he was and even when I got up there he was waiting for me. So I went onto ranked games and on that map I took the Rogue method and ended up winning easily ;)

I still want to know how to get up there. Spill the beans!

I want to get a kill on Rogue Soul then have the facility to stamp on his head, kick him in the nads and spit on him whilst yelling die you mofo! :wub: Who the hell is he anyway?

Hahaha me too. Rogue is my friend from gamestyle.net. I think I've known him since 2002 or something. He used to be (and maybe still is) one of the highest-ranked people on XBL scoreboards.

I told you he's evil!

#42 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7410 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

There's a broken ladder in the little officey thing in the middle of that building, you have to jump to get onto it, there's a little middle floor and then the bit Rogue Soul was standing on above that

#43 polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
  • Members
  • 4522 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

There's a broken ladder in the little officey thing in the middle of that building, you have to jump to get onto it, there's a little middle floor and then the bit Rogue Soul was standing on above that

There is another way and I believe this is how Rogue gets up there (he booby trapped it with claymores, in two places resulting in two of my deaths :wub: ). There is a wee building to the side of that one, on the other side of the fence (the side with the grass hill). You can get on top of it via a ladder on the side and then jump onto the awning of the big building. Once up there, there's an open window to the top. Kind of the same as the other big building really, two ways in/out.

#44 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

Cunning. I'll have to check that one out.

#45 Rogue Soul

Rogue Soul
  • Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

It's nice to know I have this effect on people! ;) As Meerman has already mentioned, I'm one of the 'gamestyle folk' and a hardcore rllmuk lurker. You'll usually find me as a guest in one of his (or Doc NI's) XBL games.

I must admit Pipeline is one of my fave maps (managed to get a 40-2 KD ratio in a ranked team deathmatch there once!). Controlling that 'top floor' does come in v.handy in helping to win on that map, as you have great field of view and a excellent vantage point to take out snipers hiding on the grassy hill. Ideally you'd want two shooters/snipers up there with Claymores (Plant 'em on: 2x Main Ladders, 1x Window, 1x Top of the Small Building).

If you're having trouble getting 'up there' because of claymores and/or pesky snipers - just shoot up, through the floor, from inside the building! By killing off the snipers their claymores will disappear as soon as they respawn. If you can't get inside the building (for whatever reason) there's a nice snipe spot behind a tractor (lower spawn, far right - You'll know it when you see it!).

#46 villenium

villenium
  • Members
  • 3013 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

I love the way you have to change tactics and weapons in this game from map to map.

I've been owned by 3 people on Overgrown and then absolutely destroyed them on Bloc and the Bog because they try to use the same tactics.

At the moment I tend to use a Red Dot Sight on all my guns (except Sniper & Shotty), Stopping Power, C4 and Deep Impact.

To be honest the only thing I'll change when I get access to them is C4 for Claymore's.

C4 is great for laugh, plant above a doorway, let off a shot so you show up on radar and then wait for a guy to come bowling in. Click, bang, dead.

It's particulalry good if you have taken a bloke out in a room. Usually you keep moving because you know he'll come back looking for you but with C4 you lay the trap and wait. The only problem is that you make some serious enemies this way.

#47 Timmo

Timmo

• Members
  • 24471 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

I don't know why so many choose Deep Impact. You can still shoot through most walls without it. Martyrdom is too good to give up for it.

#48 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25588 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

What maps don't people like? I like everything except Vacant, and perhaps Downpour. Both just too cramped. Maybe in time I'll like them.

I love Downpour - it's my favourite. Always seem to do well there.

#49 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

I don't know why so many choose Deep Impact. You can still shoot through most walls without it. Martyrdom is too good to give up for it.

Martyrdom is not advised when you're playing in Hardcore Mode.

#50 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10117 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

Ok then, tips for bomb/domination/headquarters games please.

#51 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

Run like a bat outta hell.

Really, just like the Halo equivalents, I have no tactic for these. Seems that the best way for Search & Destroy is what we did last night on Crash, where we went down the back alley towards B, then Doc throwing a smoke and all of us legging it to A. Although you can't do that every time, if you've got some smart people in the opposition. Otherwise I'd just Rainbow Six my way in.

Domination is just a matter of your team dividing in two, and control 2 territories. Claymores come in handy, just place them on the spot.

What's Headquarters again?

#52 mr_rmg

mr_rmg
  • Members
  • 4273 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:14 AM

Perk 1:
Bomb Squad (14)
The Bomb Squad perk allows you to detect explosives planted in the map. This is useful if you are up against people who just love using bombs, and have C4 and Claymores hidden throughout the map. The Bomb Squad perk is unlocked at level 14 - Staff Sergeant I.

C4 Explosives x2 (2)
The C4 Explosives perk gives you two C4 explosives that you can detonate remotely using the fire button, or if you are using your primary weapon you can detonate them by double tapping the fire button. I find this a bit cumbersome with some weapons, but to each his own. In Call of Duty 4, there are no binoculars, so make sure you are aware of your enemyís location before setting them off - I find this also a bit difficult, but on some level night vision comes in handy. C4 Explosives are unlocked as soon as you unlock the Demolitions Class - level 2, Private I.

Claymore x 2
Claymores are basically a mine that you can plant in the game to blow people up when they are in range. The calymore packs use light sensors, and typical will be visible before you stumble upon one. The explosion is very directional, and because of this the Claymore perk isnít very useful in situations you would typically use mines. That said, Iíve had good luck hiding these things just around corners out of sight where people canít see the garish red beams emanating from these things. Claymores are unlocked at the onset of the game.

RPG-7 x 2
The RPG-7 x2 perk gives you two ground-to-air missiles that are very useful for shooting down helicopter air strikes. It should also be noted that they can explode cars and other destrutible objects on the map, and are very fun to shoot at spawn points, followed by a cooked nade.

Special Grenades x 3
This is my favorite among the Perk 1 group - this one gives you 3 special grenades as opposed to just one. Why is it my fave? Well, combine this with stun grenades, the radar, and the ďxĒ indication that youíve hit someone, and itís a great way to find out where people are, run up to them, and knife them with your hobo knife, even from far away! The Sepcial Grenades perk is unlocked by default.

Frag x 3 (41)
The Frag x3 perk gives you three frag grenades - simple huh? Not really, once this is unlocked, youíll find the maps littered with grenades - try as you will to pick them up and throw them back, more are on the way! This perk is unlocked at level 41 - Colonel I.

Bandolier (32)
The Bandolier perk gives you much more amo for your clip, and is my second favorite among the Perk 1 set because it goes so well with the Double Tap perk. If you like to sprint around, doing some spray and pray while having a beer like me, this is definitely a must-try. The Bandolier perk is unlocked at level 32 - Captain I.

Perk 2:
Juggernaut
The Juggernaut perk, wellÖ makes you a juggernaut! You can take a LOT more damages than usual, and still be standing. Typically this means that I can survive 2 badly fought 1-on-1 rounds and still be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. This perk is unlocked straight away as far as I can tell.

Sleight of Hand (20)
Sleight of Hand helps you to reload weapons a lot faster, and if you canít aim, like to spray and pray, and run around without reloading or watching your amo, this may be for you. Truth be told, this comes in very handy for shotgun and SAW users, but just about any one can use this. Sleight of Hand is unlocked at Master Sergeant I (Lv20).

Stopping Power
Stopping Power gives your weapon some oompf, and remoes the pew-pew! This is a good addition to weapons like the Mini Uzi, that while very fast, certainly lacks power. The Stopping Power perk is unlocked by default.

UAV Jammer (11)
The UAV Jammer perk helps to keep you off the radar, even when firing shots. This perk is useful against seasoned players who have become accustomed to watching the radar like hawks, and know all of the hiding places already. I highly recommend trying this with the Dead Silence perk and a knife. UAV Jammer is unlocked at level 11, Sergeant I.

Sonic Boom
The Sonic Boom perk gives your explosions some added range, and is great when used with the Martyrdom perk because it will see you taking out many people at a time as the grenade you drop will have a larger blast radius. This perk is unlocked out of the gates.

Overkill (38)
Easily the best perk in the game, Overkill allows you to carry two primary weapons at once, in the primary and secondary slots. This means you can fulfill your dreams of being a sniper/shotgunner! You simply change weapons to where your pistol would be, and thereís your other weapon. This is great because you can switch weapons faster than you can reload, in my case, but also because it opens the maps up so that everyone can carry an ACOG weapon as well as an LMG/SMG or what-have-you. Highly recommended, worth all of the effort.

Double Tap (29)
Double Tap increases the rate of fire for your weapon. This really helps balance things out for weapons that have a slow rate of fire, and makes some weapons like the M16 MUCH better. I highly recommend using this perk with the Bandolier perk as youíll be going through a lot more amo than usual. The Double Tap perk is unlocked at level 29 (1st Lieutenant I).

Perk 3:
Extreme Conditioning
The Extreme Conditioning perk allows you to run for a much longer time, and is great in maps where you need to get to a certain point faster than someone else, or when you are trying to escape someone. The amount of time of the increase is roughly 2 times the normal sprint time. The Extreme Conditioning perk is unlocked for the get-go.

Steady Aim
The Steady Aim perk give you better aim when not using iron sights or what-have-you. When you are running around in CoD4, your head and body bob, and affect your aim much more than in previous Call of Duty games. This perk restores some of the stability found in other CoD games, and makes aiming while running that much easier. This perk is unlocked already.

Last Stand (:lol:
Last stand gives you one last chance to shoot the person who killed you with your pistol sidearm. This can be useful on servers filled with beginners, but players are quickly getting used to finishing people of gangland-style because so many beginners are using this. Also, most medium to high ranked players will be using the Martyrdom perk, and since youíre only equipped with a pistol you can normally only tag people close to you, and once they die they drop a grenade and Ö well youíre dead. the Last Stand perk is unlocked early on, at Corpral II (Lv8).

Deep Impact
A lot of weapons in CoD4 can now shoot through things like corrugated steel, boxes and thin walls. The Deep Impact perk emphasizes this, but also gives lower powered weapons a bit of a boost. Iíve had good results using this and the M16 and the P90. Deep Impact is unlocked by default, as far as I can tell.

Dead Silence (44)
The Dead Silence perk is one of my favorites because I love sneaking around maps stabbing people with my stabbing knife. Dead Silence makes you virtually silent, so that people donít hear floorboards creak as you walk up behind them wife your knife out just waiting to slash. Dead Silence is unlocked high level of 44, Brigadier General I, but is definitely worth it, and is amazing when combined with a silenced gun and UAV jamming. Or just use a knife!

Iron Lungs (26)
The Iron Lungs perk is interesting. The whole sniper class has caused quite a stir with Call of Duty fans because it is much harder to snipe in CoD4. This perk helps by allowing you to hold your breath longer, and keep the gun steady. Iím told the real trick to sniping in Call of Duty 4 is to have this perk, hold shift while you aim down the scope, and pause for just a half second longer than normal, and you will hit the mark everytime. Definitely worth trying with the Barret 50cal. Iron Lungs is unlocked at level 26 - 2nd Lieutenant I.

Eavesdrop (35)
Eavesdrop is an interesting perk - it allows you to listen in on enemy chatter as you fight. Iím not sure how you canít hear them already, but this letís you hear them talking about their UAV as well as the bound speech items that some people use. Maybe they use microphones? Anyway, this is a great tool to use against those using stealth perks that make them hard to find on a map, and on the radar. The Eavesdrop perk is unlocked before the dead silence perk as well - you get it at level 35, Major I.

Martyrdom (17)
Martyrdom is one of the most popular perks, and also one of the most annoying. This perk lets you drop a live grenade just after dying, typically killing whoever just tore you up. This has people now sprinting away from corpses, as well as shooting at them just in case they have Last Stand instead. Because of this, if youíre sneaking up on someone who is about to kill someone, be prepared and have your pistol out to shoot them quickly before they run away. Also, if one of your team members has just killed the enemy in a closed room, be careful not to get caught in the door as you both run out. Finally, if you can, try picking up the dropped greande, and throw it at another enemy. Iíve only been able to do this in open spaces so far, and it needs to be done very quickly, but if youíve just done a slashing, youíll be right on top of the nade which makes things a bit easier. But you donít slash in wide open spaces, now, do you? Martyrdom is unlocked level 17 - Gunnery Sergeant I.

From http://blandname.com...k-descriptions/

#53 Pob

Pob
  • Moderators
  • 12709 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

Perk 3 has the weakest selection, I reckon, especially on medium/long range maps. I could easily give up Deep Impact, but as I usually get killed from far away, Martrydom and Last Stand are a bit of a waste.

All the juicy stuff is in Perk slot 2. That one that lets you take two primary weapons in would be really useful for a sniper, for example, but not enough to give up the UAV Jammer for.

#54 villenium

villenium
  • Members
  • 3013 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have used Deep Impact since the Beta. I tend to get a benefit from it when I have one of the big machine guns where you lose a touch of accuracy.

Mind you, I haven't really studied the difference with/without in any depth but it feels a bit more powerful.

#55 ThePinkNinja

ThePinkNinja
  • Members
  • 6548 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have used Deep Impact since the Beta. I tend to get a benefit from it when I have one of the big machine guns where you lose a touch of accuracy.

Mind you, I haven't really studied the difference with/without in any depth but it feels a bit more powerful.

Yeah, like you I only really use Deep Impact cause I used it in the Beta, my assault classes I like Martyr but it's only really any use on indoor levels and street levels as most kills on the big outdoor maps come from miles away so your grenade does nothing.

#56 Timmo

Timmo

• Members
  • 24471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

Martyrdom is not advised when you're playing in Hardcore Mode.

For friendly kills?

I get loads of kills with it, whatever mode I'm on. I rarely fight in the open, and my long range kills are usually uncontested, so many of my deaths are from people close by, who often die to my Martyrdom.

#57 ThePinkNinja

ThePinkNinja
  • Members
  • 6548 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

For friendly kills?

I get loads of kills with it, whatever mode I'm on. I rarely fight in the open, and my long range kills are usually uncontested, so many of my deaths are from people close by, who often die to my Martyrdom.

Yeah but as you say, on Hardcore you will also kill your own teammates who are unforutnate enough to be there mourning your passing.

#58 wige1001

wige1001
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

talking of the old martydom...

on the hardcore team deathmatch on crash last night I decided to go get my "fall from 30 feet" challenge completed.

so legged it straight to the three storey builidng and thrown myself off it to pick up some cheap exp points.

totally forgot I had the martydom perk on (only just got it) anyway, seconds after i hit the ground, three of the other team come pegging it in to that area.

KABOOM!! a nice +2 kill/death spread from that!

I did chuckle.. :)

#59 Pob

Pob
  • Moderators
  • 12709 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

That FAQ says that the UAV Jammer stops you showing up on radar, even whilst firing. That can't be true surely? Otherwise, what's the point of the silencer? Can anyone confirm this? I'll whip my silencers straight off if it's true!

#60 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10117 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

That FAQ says that the UAV Jammer stops you showing up on radar, even whilst firing. That can't be true surely? Otherwise, what's the point of the silencer? Can anyone confirm this? I'll whip my silencers straight off if it's true!

I suppose the silencer takes away the audible giveaway also, which the UAV jammer won't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users