Good crisp bad crisp

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#301 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

65p what? I paid 60p for a small packet of Wotsits earlier! I'm getting gouged at the till.

#302 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7387 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

I LOVE these at the moment
Posted Image

#303 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15602 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

I remember some Cajun chicken flavour crisps I had many years ago, thick rippled and crunchy and blow your head off in flavour - I think Roysters used to do a similar flavour themselves. I would nibble at them slowly, a ripple at a time between chugs from a bottle of Irn Bru, then finish off with a Galaxy Caramel for pudding. Glorious.

#304 zektbach

zektbach
  • Members
  • 7719 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

By Jebus you weren't wrong - buffalo got tanned over the weekend and opened Jalapeņo tonight - "crisps" will never be the same again - simply amazing !!

I know right! They're incredibly delicious, a shop across the road from me back in Northern Ireland used to stock them along with loads of other imported American stuff. Used to buy a bag a day.

I went and ordered a few bags of the Snyder's Pretzel Pieces (Jalepeno and Buffalo Wing), too. They are rather nice, aren't they? Not at all hot, but just soaked in flavour.

I've also got a bag, or maybe two, of those really hot crisps that were posted in here. I'm saving them.

The Blair's chips? Eat a bag now and let us all know what you think. They really are the hottest crisps available, but they're so very very tasty.

#305 RobinTripp

RobinTripp
  • Members
  • 1646 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's the ones. I had a bag recently, they were okay. The heat was fine but I just wasn't keen on them as they are kettle chips. I'd much prefer a tortilla version, I reckon.

#306 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9988 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Finally picked up some of those Snyder's pretzel pieces at the weekend. The verdict is that the Jalapeno ones are pretty gross because they're way too salty, but the Buffalo Wing ones are amazing and the BBQ ones are pretty nice too.

Anyone tried the cheese and honey + mustard flavours? If so are they any good?

#307 stephen129

stephen129
  • Members
  • 5960 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I remember the honey and mustard ones were quite tasty.

#308 Labradigor

Labradigor
  • Members
  • 18511 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I LOVE these at the moment
Posted Image

I love the Jalapeño and Coriander flavour of these... Can never find them anywhere though.

#309 zektbach

zektbach
  • Members
  • 7719 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Salty Dog crisps are bizarre... On one hand they're really nice crisps, however ever since I've discovered that they're sold for 10p a bag in B&M/Home Bargains, any time I taste them they always seem a bit weird. Clearly I'm a crisp snob, but if you love them you really should go to B&M/Home Bargains and buy 10 packets for a quid.

#310 cubik

cubik
  • Members
  • 1577 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Avoid the Burger King range of crisps from the US like the plague. I brought some back recently and they were one of the worst things I've ever eaten.

They actually taste like the smell of cooking oil you get outside of a takeaway. Foul things.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These on the other hand are lovely: Ruffles Molten Hot Wings
Posted Image

Also these were great too:
Posted Image

Fantastic. The Americans really know how to pile on the flavour.

cubik

#311 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15602 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Are there any cajun chicken crisps around? Roysters used to do some and there was another company making thick crinkly ones; I use to love the combination of mouth-searing cayenne and cluck.

#312 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2738 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

So has anyone tried the Walkers Mystery Flavours?

I thought they were:

Spoiler

#313 Weinberg

Weinberg
  • Members
  • 1517 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've always tried new salt and vinegar crisps-I used to like Kettle Chips but they're just not as strong as they used to be.

I recommend Tyrell's Salt and Malt Vinegar Furrows. It's just a fancy name for ridged crisps but they are awesome. They do the flavour in 'normal' crisps but the ridged ones are so much better. My second favourite salt and vinegar are the more common Walker's extra crunchy variety...anyone got any recommendations for Salt n Vinegar in a bigger bag? I find almost all supermarket versions taste the same (Tesco Finest, M&S etc etc) they're not bad but just not strong enough.

#314 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Co-op 'Finest' (whatever the fancy range is called) are salt and vinegar to the extreme, they're lovely.

#315 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2738 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

So are the Sainsbury's Taste theDifference ones - I think they are 'Cider Vinegar and Sea Salt'

#316 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb
  • Members
  • 10505 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

McCoy's salt & vinegar are pretty powerful.

#317 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2738 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Power of the ridged surface area

I don't know what it is about them, but I've eaten 3 bags of newsagent brand Chipsticks over the past fortnight - proper addictive.

#318 Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind
  • Supporters
  • 3346 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think they've gone downhill over recent years. They used to be amazing for burning the corners of your lips, but now I think they've gone pretty mild. As with all crisps though, you still occasionally hit the jackpot and spawn a bag with mega-flavour.

There's a petrol station near me that sells Brannigans, so they are out there. Beef and Mustard are as amazing now as they were in my youth. They sell Roysters too. Num.

#319 jonno

jonno
  • Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Co-op 'Finest' (whatever the fancy range is called) are salt and vinegar to the extreme, they're lovely.

Agreed. I recommend these to anyone who will listen!

#320 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20112 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

I had some of these today.

Posted Image

Kind of spicy but not what I'd call "chilli"; there was none of the lingering heat that builds up as you eat more of them, so it was a bit disappointing. :(

#321 Yoshimax

Yoshimax
  • Supporters
  • 7481 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Not a crisp per-se but Satan's Nuts are both incredibly hot and incredibly moreish all at once. If you have a beer with them you can expect to have it finished very quickly indeed.

http://www.hot-headz...sh/satans-nuts/

Posted Image

#322 Carlos Valderrama

Carlos Valderrama
  • Supporters
  • 22877 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

I've not eaten crisps for around 4 weeks now, since I went mostly Primal.

I had a strange craving for them today. My favourites are the Fire Cracker Lobster ones from Burts but, maybe thankfully, I don't think they make them anymore.

#323 revlob

revlob
  • Tech Team
  • 12022 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Not a crisp per-se but Satan's Nuts are both incredibly hot and incredibly moreish all at once. If you have a beer with them you can expect to have it finished very quickly indeed.

http://www.hot-headz...sh/satans-nuts/

From that same site I've had Blair's "Death Rain Potato Chips":

http://www.hot-headz...o-chips-3-bags/

Posted Image

Better for sharing, I once ate a whole packet and got the chilli sweats :( They are pretty amazingly hot. The stuff you get at the bottom of the packet could be used as a weapon.

#324 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2738 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Just noticed that shop is just down the road from me, gonna pop down and get stocked up!

#325 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53194 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hang on now, they have a shop?

#326 88h88

88h88
  • Members
  • 11220 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

These are the bomb:
Posted Image

#327 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2738 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hang on now, they have a shop?

Well, not a shop no, but I thought they wouldn't mind me popping in and picking up my order delivery charge free ^_^

#328 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53194 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Ooh keep it updated, might need to pop over to Stroud if they do

#329 cinabar

cinabar
  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Okay - I have a new favourite crisp - weird and posh - Asparagus Crisps: http://www.foodstuff...aragus-and.html

#330 Gotters

Gotters
  • Supporters
  • 1795 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

The key with Blairs chilli crisps is to gently shake the bag back and forth to distrubute the toxic dust evenly.

Into wasabi peas at present and have bought all the varieties we can find, singl complaint is none are hot enough, even those that claim to be. The best ones those sold in Tesco.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users