Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eighthours

How's the novel going?

156 posts in this topic

I'm having lots of help from Argh in editing my book.... Thanks again dude! Who knew how many mistakes were so easily made?

I've got ands where there should be none, commas missing, speech marks the wrong way round, people turning up in the wrong place, incorrect place names, commas to add, commas to remove, commas, full-stops missing...

Elipses to get rid of... bad sentences to fix. ;)

I think I am about 50% through finishing the revised draft that I'd be happy to send off. And yet I am already thinking about doing it all over again with the next one! Must be mad.

Of course you're mad. Anyone putting themselves through this is.

Commas, eh. So easy to go for too many or for too few. Take my comma-based advice with a pinch of salt. You know I love commas and would marry one, if it would have me.

Even as I'm advising you to put more in, I'm being strict with myself and trying to ration my own.

The bloody elipsis, though - frustrating. So, so useful, and yet so, so cheap! I've decided to hell with it, there are plenty of times where I need them, but I am only going to use them in speech.

Do any of you budding authors have a writer's webpage, or anything of that ilk? Something where you let people read samples of your work. Is there any mileage in including a link to such a website in cover/query letters you send to agens and publishers?

[quote name='Argh' timestamp='1315993915' post='8138705']
Is there any mileage in including a link to such a website in cover/query letters you send to agens and publishers?
[/quote]

In a word: no. Not unless you host a blog that serves 50 zillion readers. Literary agents get hundreds of queries a week, so everything they need has to be in there with no extraneous fluff.

Yeah lots of agents can be barely bothered to reply to you so the chance of them checking out a website is zero. They get swamped with requests so their time is very pressured.

I've written 4 out of the planned 10 chapters of my childrens (8-12 years) book. I was going great guns, but managed to get ill and lost the momentum a bit. Happily, all my planning and stuff is held on Scrivener which I find brilliant for organisation. Got to get back into doing my 1000 words a day.

I'm going very much for the write the first draft, and don't go an edit until finished - so as not to get caught up in a constant reread/rewrite loop. Although at the back of my mind I'm a little worried that the style of the writing between the beginning and the end could change... but that's what second drafts are there to resolve.

[quote name='CurryKitten' timestamp='1316086638' post='8141404']
I'm going very much for the write the first draft, and don't go an edit until finished - so as not to get caught up in a constant reread/rewrite loop. Although at the back of my mind I'm a little worried that the style of the writing between the beginning and the end could change... but that's what second drafts are there to resolve.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I did and it worked really well for me. I even had to go back and write out one of my main couple's daughters because I'd dropped the character halfway through! :)

First draft finished. 79,365 words in about 45 days. Not bad for a habitual quitter!

Some people find it hard to quit things. For me, quitting is the thing I can't quit. Oooh, clever play on words eh, you can imagine how much bollocks my book is! :)

I've written a novel. Holy shit.

Now, do I have the staying power for the editing and all the bits I already know I need/want to change?

Well done! Took me a lot longer than that! Seems like you had an idea and ran with it. Thats the best way to do it. Hope it all goes really well.

[quote name='pulsemyne' timestamp='1316692112' post='8155533']
Well done! Took me a lot longer than that! Seems like you had an idea and ran with it. Thats the best way to do it. Hope it all goes really well.
[/quote]

It's going to go: failure, failure, failure, sell twelve copies on Kindle. But, I had fun writing it! :)

Sounds so much like what I'm expecting! Anyway the second novel is going quite well. Really fleshing the characters out a bit.
Meanwhile i've also had an idea for either a novel or a TV series. I'm smiling to myself just thinking about it.

Soooo.... sent off my first 50 pages, very short synopsis and covering letter to my first agent on Saturday. Very nervous about posting but it's done now and I'll be interested to see what comes back... if anything... :)

Meanwhile, I am considering submitting to an agent how accepts email submissions.

Good luck Dan!

Have you guys had the self-publishing/Lulu/Kindle publishing chat anywhere in this sub forum?

If not, can we have it now? :)

If you have discovered this already, then I apologise. As a fairly experienced writer I cannot advise you enough to work intensely on more temporary projects, be these plays, screenplays, poetry or novellas. It could very well be that despite the story being intriguing as a writer you have not developed your skills enough and (as if not more importantly) you haven't experienced quite enough of life yet.

I wish to ask you, what are your motivations as a writer? And could I see some examples of your work?

[quote name='Danster' timestamp='1317110443' post='8165291']
Soooo.... sent off my first 50 pages, very short synopsis and covering letter to my first agent on Saturday. Very nervous about posting but it's done now and I'll be interested to see what comes back... if anything... :)

Meanwhile, I am considering submitting to an agent how accepts email submissions.
[/quote]

Do it!

Anyway expect to get rejected A LOT! Everyone gets rejected about a billion times before you get a success. I look on mine as badges of honour saying "well thats another agent with no brains lets see what the others think!". Simply put just keep going and going. Never give up! Trust your Instincts! (I've been playing too much starfox)

[quote name='Atticus Stount' timestamp='1317139176' post='8166539']
If you have discovered this already, then I apologise. As a fairly experienced writer I cannot advise you enough to work intensely on more temporary projects, be these plays, screenplays, poetry or novellas. It could very well be that despite the story being intriguing as a writer you have not developed your skills enough and (as if not more importantly) you haven't experienced quite enough of life yet.

I wish to ask you, what are your motivations as a writer? And could I see some examples of your work?
[/quote]

Sorry, were you replying to me or Argh? Or all of us? :)

I am 35 and have been writing since I was fifteen. I moved into computing when I reached university age and the writing took a seat on the back-burner (ouch) it wasn't until years later that i started to smell the smoke... ;)

So, I've got about three, maybe four, half-written novels (including a sci-fi novel of 120k words which still isn't finished...) and decided a clean slate was what was needed. So started on a genre I hadn't attempted before and gradually spluttered to the end of a novel; my first.

If you'd like to see examples do look in the Writer's Corner library, I have been contributing there for years....

Started a new one tonight, and think I might actually finish it instead of losing interest a third of the way through. The intitial idea stemmed from a dream I had last night, and over the course of the day I mentally fleshed it out into a full story, with a complete plot and everything! My usual problem is I come up with a great character and setting, start writing and hope the plot will come to me. But it rarely does. This time I know where I'm going from the start though! Hoorah!

[quote name='Danster' timestamp='1317191240' post='8167528']
Sorry, were you replying to me or Argh? Or all of us? :)

I am 35 and have been writing since I was fifteen. I moved into computing when I reached university age and the writing took a seat on the back-burner (ouch) it wasn't until years later that i started to smell the smoke... ;)

So, I've got about three, maybe four, half-written novels (including a sci-fi novel of 120k words which still isn't finished...) and decided a clean slate was what was needed. So started on a genre I hadn't attempted before and gradually spluttered to the end of a novel; my first.

If you'd like to see examples do look in the Writer's Corner library, I have been contributing there for years....
[/quote]

Are you my bloody doopleganger or something! Nearly the same age, did computing at uni and it wasn't until years later I started writing (something which I always enjoyed).

[quote name='pulsemyne' timestamp='1317424406' post='8173908']
Are you my bloody doopleganger or something! Nearly the same age, did computing at uni and it wasn't until years later I started writing (something which I always enjoyed).
[/quote]

Nah, I'm more your Doppelganger than Dan is. Computing at Uni, 36, only started writing years later, finished a humorous sci-fi novel...

Aaaaand, my reason for posting: Submitted via email to an agent in the UK. All that can be crossed has been (apart from the streams - don't cross the streams).

Well the second book is going well. I've picked up the pace over the last few days somewhat (I tend to write in bursts whereby I'll do nothing for a few days and then write a load ). I'm now upto about chapter 6 ish although I could breakup chapter 5 into about 3 distinct chapters of its own. Currently the story is taking place over three differant time periods. One is very far into the future another is slightly less furthur in the future and another is in the fifthteth century. All the time periods relate to each other so effectively they all converge at the end.
One thing I really need to do is get the first book sorted and editted. Otherwise I'll keep writing book after book and never getting it out there.

Differant < :rolleyes: come on now Pulsie, i hope your using a spell checker when writing your book, none of this "it's my ipads fault" you always give me ;)

It was typed on my ipad actually. The second novel is also typed on the ipad so it should have less spelling mistakes.

Also shut your moaf

Everything I've read recently points to it only being established authors, generally novelists, who have a reasonable of getting a collection published. Even then, they're held in much lower regard than 'proper' books. If you're interested, I would suggest magazine submissions as being your best option to raise the profile of your work and make it easier to have something published.

There's plenty on The Millions (other literary websites are available) about the current state of the short story, and its viability or otherwise in a world where reading short stories is apparently unfashionable. Here's one representative article:

http://www.themillions.com/2011/05/publish-or-perish-the-short-story.html