Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alisdair

Halo 3 map discussion

262 posts in this topic

Its the o ne map I do realy well on Lone Wolves. Will send you a video of how I do it

cool, cheers.

Narrows went from my least to most favourite map. This game is so well balanced. Single mauler and meleé is so satisfying. I got three people in a row hiding behind cover on the central bridge, before wading in, grabbing the shotgun and getting a triple kill. Keeping yourself off the enemy radar is brilliantly satisfying.

I still can't stand Shotty Snipers, though. I'm absolutely awful at it.

I've been practising some jumps recently on Guardian. There are absolutely loads of useful shortcuts you can take. Some of these are really obvious, but some I only just found recently, so I thought I'd share them in case they're useful.

From the top of the lift room, you can jump into the flare room if you get it just right (it's pretty easy to make if you hold crouch as you reach the ledge). Below the gap you just jumped, you can get back up to the lift room via the small green ledge to your left (facing the lift). Again down there, you can jump to the long hammer/sniper corridor if you start from one of the raised edges - you can make the jump in the other direction as well.

At the top centre circle area, if you head towards the flare room and jump left just before a wall stops you doing so, you can land on the gravlift to go straight up to the sniper tower/fusion coil spot. Down at the sniper spawn, you can crouch-jump up to the carbine/overshield. From the dual spiker area going towards overshield, just before you reach the carbine you can jump down to the hammer/sniper corridor, although this one is pretty difficult to make.

Anyone got any other useful jumps, particularly on the other maps?

Sort of.

Get the Banshee and Sniper on any Valhalla game that offers it. Then fly to the top of the base tower, there's a little ledge you can snipe on near the 'peak'

You can pretty much snipe the whole map from there with only the enemy Banshee threatening you, which if you're on a co-operating team can be taken down easily with the Spartan Laser or Missle Pod.

It can really swing the game if you have a good sniper up there who can see the whole map, and not only snipe but call out enemy attacks, Warthog raids especially on CTF etc.

The jump from the ramp around the back of the same bases to the glass floor of the top floor is also useful on CTF games, as what defenders tend to do is just have 2-3 people directly around the flag and not actually have any on the ground floor. And because when you make the jump you'll be facing the Mancannon and would have hopefully taken them by suprise, you should be able to escape across it.

I've gotten a couple of flag captures that way, the defenders expect a frontal attack or someone to attack in a big team around the two bigger ramps at eiether side, if you can get in thier base undetected its a nice mini jump to get to the flag.

From the top of the lift room, you can jump into the flare room if you get it just right (it's pretty easy to make if you hold crouch as you reach the ledge).
Done it.
Below the gap you just jumped, you can get back up to the lift room via the small green ledge to your left (facing the lift).
Done it.
Again down there, you can jump to the long hammer/sniper corridor if you start from one of the raised edges - you can make the jump in the other direction as well.
Done it.
At the top centre circle area, if you head towards the flare room and jump left just before a wall stops you doing so, you can land on the gravlift to go straight up to the sniper tower/fusion coil spot.
Oooh. Haven't done it.
Down at the sniper spawn, you can crouch-jump up to the carbine/overshield.
Done it.
From the dual spiker area going towards overshield, just before you reach the carbine you can jump down to the hammer/sniper corridor, although this one is pretty difficult to make.
Done it. You can also jump down to either of those levels from the higher point of the sniper spawn.

Also, did you know that going from the centre, facing the main Grav Lift, and doing the diagonal right jump to the invisibility, that you don't have to jump the gap and its almost impossible to fall down and die. Walking straight across will see you remain in mid-air indefinitely.

On Narrows near the rocket spawn you can jump from the middle of the bridge to area with (or without) the Man Cannon.

Also, Narrows is still a shit map. Sorry!

On Narrows near the rocket spawn you can jump from the middle of the bridge to area with (or without) the Man Cannon.

Also, Narrows is still a shit map. Sorry!

There is also a handy tip for sniping on narrows, where you mean before jumping down to those areas, jump on the little ledge by rockets on either the radar jammer side or the other and look down to your left or right, there is a tiny little ledge you can sit off on, looking at one man cannon side or the other side, not many ppl look up to that area and you can get quite alot of kills from there, especially on a shotty snipers gametype, or oddball you can hide there whilst ppl try to jump down to you and miss :)

Superstar did you find the video helped?

Superstar did you find the video helped?

I did give it a watch but was interupted by the little one about 3 minutes in. I'll give it another watch. Raising it here must have helped as I've done a lot better on The Pit recently, even got a sword spree and 2 killing sprees on a bomb game last night.

The map I'm really struggling with now is construct. I thought I had that one pretty good but I've been playing PGR for the last couple of weeks and it really shows. Everyone else knows it much better than me now. I'll worry about Narrows at some point too.

As an asside, I hate the way that you stop playing halo online for a week or so and when you come back you feel like you're miles behind where you were as in that time everyone else has played 100 games.

If you watch the rest you'll basically see it's green invis coridoor with shotgun/sword/mauler and plasma grenads with battle rifles for peeking out shots.

Narrows is still a shit map.
Nah.
I'll see your 'Nah' and raise you a 'spot on'.

Narrows is shit.

The whole point of this thread was to stop single-word arguments and get people to talk in depth about the maps :)

I don't love Narrows, but I don't hate it either. I think the horizon created by the bridge is a really nice feature, along with the radar jammer it makes for fun objective games. What makes you say it's shit?

Narrows is shit because:

1) You can see too much from the middle of the bridge.

2) You can spawn kill quite easily.

3) Too many spawns bring you out into a middle of a firefight.

4) It physically pointless. You have a bridge with nothing at either end, and then the bridge is pointless too because of the man-cannon. Compared to other maps it feels wrong to be fighting a battle in such an obviously enclosed space.

5) It's boring to play.

I think every single game in the tournament is going to be played on Narrows, Jimmy. :)

There's a couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread.

First, when you're playing at noob skill level like me, you can generally win at least one defence round of one flag CTF on Valhalla by driving the warthog out into the sea, then pointing the turret at your flag and covering the base and approaches on either side for the duration. Not a terribly exciting way to spend the round, but you can see off most attacks. Just need to watch out for chancers with the missile pod.

Second, there's a secret passage on High Ground. Coming up from the beach, head for the steps on the right of the gate, crouch, and nip into the hole in the wall. This takes you through behind the pipes to the back room with the two spike grenades. The hole in the wall also gives you a decent view of the bunker across the way if you have a sniper/RL. Sometimes handy but doesn't reap the same rewards as just running round like a mental with guns blazing.

Second, there's a secret passage on High Ground. Coming up from the beach, head for the steps on the right of the gate, crouch, and nip into the hole in the wall. This takes you through behind the pipes to the back room with the two spike grenades. The hole in the wall also gives you a decent view of the bunker across the way if you have a sniper/RL. Sometimes handy but doesn't reap the same rewards as just running round like a mental with guns blazing.

That used to be useful for territories games when not many people knew about it. :)

The problem with going in the crack pipe is that if anyone sees you, you're a sitting duck.

I did give it a watch but was interupted by the little one about 3 minutes in. I'll give it another watch. Raising it here must have helped as I've done a lot better on The Pit recently, even got a sword spree and 2 killing sprees on a bomb game last night.

The map I'm really struggling with now is construct. I thought I had that one pretty good but I've been playing PGR for the last couple of weeks and it really shows. Everyone else knows it much better than me now. I'll worry about Narrows at some point too.

As an asside, I hate the way that you stop playing halo online for a week or so and when you come back you feel like you're miles behind where you were as in that time everyone else has played 100 games.

Try and always have the Needler on this map, there are two of them and there's always plenty of medium range gunfights going on which it excels at. I tend to try and avoid the sniper on this map because there's not enough long distances to patrol. The space between the two minigun towers being the obvious exception but you tend not to see people loitering there for too long. Also, try and grab the shield drainer when you can because it seems particularly useful on that map for some reason (possibly because it's mostly on a single level). The old plasma pistol / battle rifle combination serves me well here too.

I tend to stay mostly on the Rocket Launcher side of the map because you get access to the needlers and the RL. People also tend to gravitate towards the RL corridor and you can hit people there with grenades off the walls as they come down.

Not a map question, exactly, but I thought I'd ask it here: on which gametypes does have more than one team-member sitting on a 'spot' become more effective?

Does it make you capture territories more quickly? Does it disarm the bomb more quickly? How about flag-returning? And king-of-the-hill points?

It definitely speeds up bomb disarming and territory capture. I'd guess that it works anywhere where you get the progress bar thing.

Does it make you capture territories more quickly? Does it disarm the bomb more quickly? How about flag-returning? And king-of-the-hill points?

Yes, yes, yes, don't know because KotH is too shit to play.

Yes, yes, yes, don't know because KotH is too shit to play.

Aren't we overdue a Jim-of-the-hill game?

Again down there, you can jump to the long hammer/sniper corridor if you start from one of the raised edges

You can also make this jump from the flare room.

The problem with going in the crack pipe is that if anyone sees you, you're a sitting duck.

Nothing better than seeing some hapless fool waddling down the pipe trying to get to the opening with the brute grenades - the very same brute grenades you just picked up and are on the verge of lobbing into the pipe as they shuffle vainly backwards. On special occasions you'll realise a small team has gone in there on a sneaky but ill-considered covert mission.

never seen a team but it's very sweet catching someone in there alright.

Can someone tell me if there's another way for slayer matches on maps like Isolation and Narrows than rushing both the Rocket Launcher and/or Ghost. Or does anyone have any good methods for securing these or does anyone have any other tactics. Like, let the other team run for them but in the meantime we'll....

basically what I'm asking is where these power weapons aren't equally divided is securing them always your main priority?

Can someone tell me if there's another way for slayer matches on maps like Isolation and Narrows than rushing both the Rocket Launcher and/or Ghost. Or does anyone have any good methods for securing these or does anyone have any other tactics. Like, let the other team run for them but in the meantime we'll....

basically what I'm asking is where these power weapons aren't equally divided is securing them always your main priority?

When I win games on Isolation it's because of grenade + BR, and the same thing goes for Narrows quite a lot of the time.

Yes, Isolation is definitely a BR map, with the needler for back up.

Grab a BR as you start, drop down towards the left/right so that you are looking down towards the ghost/rockets, go up slightly on the back of the mud hill/bridge and watch the rockets from there/watch the ppl coming at you from the other base, control them that way, the rockets are a bit useless on the map tho tbh. The ghost is definitely worth controlling, make sure the person who gets into the ghost grabs the rockets first too and you shouldn't have much more trouble with this map. Control the sniper area and the flare area and you are sorted.

I think the rockets on Isolation (and Narrows to some extent) are basically base invasion weapons, and probably best ignored in slayer. Everyone spends most of their time in the wide open spaces that it's hard to make the best use of splash damage with them, unlike on The Pit for example.