• Announcements

• TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alisdair

Halo 3 map discussion

262 posts in this topic

So, in [url="http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820585p1.html"]a pre-relase discussion of Isolation[/url], multiplayer lead Tyson Green said:

[quote]IGN: There's an interesting thing that happens when you play Isolation for a while, correct?
Green: There is, but I don't want to spoil it.[/quote]
The only interesting thing that I've had happen on Isolation after a while is Jimmy betraying me with rockets, but I don't think that's what they meant. I guessed it was something to do with the flood spores on the wall, but I haven't seen anything like that happen. Has anyone?

[quote name='alisdair' post='4493735' date='Oct 26 2007, 10:50 AM']So, in [url="http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820585p1.html"]a pre-relase discussion of Isolation[/url], multiplayer lead Tyson Green said:

The only interesting thing that I've had happen on Isolation after a while is Jimmy betraying me with rockets, but I don't think that's what they meant. I guessed it was something to do with the flood spores on the wall, but I haven't seen anything like that happen. Has anyone?[/quote]

I guess this is what he was talking about:
[url="http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/28/infectious-isolations-floody-secret/"]http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/28/in...-floody-secret/[/url]

Nothing major but a nice touch I suppose.

Thanks DJK! That link was truncated via copy and paste, so here it is again for anyone who's interested:

[url="http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/28/infectious-isolations-floody-secret/"]Infectious, Isolation's Floody secret[/url]

Does anyone know why, on Sandtrap, the Lazerrrrrrr doesn't always spawn? A few times now, we've been playing round-based games (only Territories, I think), and in round three our Laser hasn't spawned. Is there a reason for that or is it a glitch? I've only noticed it when it should have spawned leaning against the Toblerone.

Ok, I am in need of serious help with The Pit. I'm just crap on it. I played some FFA earlier. After 3 games I'd won 2 and comfortably on other maps. Game 4 is the Pit and against lower ranks than me. I got pwned big style. Last by about 10 kills. I was just cannon fodder, being sniped, sworded all over the place.

What's the best tactic? When I spawn I tend to stand around like a fool deciding what to do then die. It seems to take me ages to find the weapons. Maybe I should forge it and have a good run around looking for firepower. There seems to be too many power weapons on the map for FFA.

For FFA games, you're probably best picking up a BR and then looking for skirmishes to steal kills. Get a short-range weapon as well, in case someone gets too close. There's loads of cover in the centre of the map and around the bases, it's only in the ground-level U-shaped section that you're exposed.

BRs are next to the rocket corridor (with two plasma grenades), in the overshield tunnel at either end, and on the sniper base side of the corner as you go into the rocket side of the map, leaning against a wall. There are maulers in the enclosed flag spot area, below the room where you spawn but can't get to. Shotguns are on the corner as you go into the rockets side. The sword is almost directly above the overshield.

In most Lone Wolves games (slayer) picking people off with the BR as Alisdair said is a good idea. On The Pit, the shotgun and the needler are some of my most used weapons I reckon.

[quote name='alisdair' post='4497292' date='Oct 27 2007, 05:22 PM']For FFA games, you're probably best picking up a BR and then looking for skirmishes to steal kills. Get a short-range weapon as well, in case someone gets too close. There's loads of cover in the centre of the map and around the bases, it's only in the ground-level U-shaped section that you're exposed.

BRs are next to the rocket corridor (with two plasma grenades), in the overshield tunnel at either end, and on the sniper base side of the corner as you go into the rocket side of the map, leaning against a wall. There are maulers in the enclosed flag spot area, below the room where you spawn but can't get to. Shotguns are on the corner as you go into the rockets side. The sword is almost directly above the overshield.[/quote]

So basically, I should be able to get to a BR quite quickly. I think the problem I had earlier was that I was trying to take on people too far away. That kind of play is going to alert everyone to your location and get you quickly killed. As will running around with one spiker which I was doing a lot. Dual wield doesn't seem to be an option on The Pit.

[quote name='superstarbeejay' post='4497327' date='Oct 27 2007, 05:38 PM']So basically, I should be able to get to a BR quite quickly. I think the problem I had earlier was that I was trying to take on people too far away. That kind of play is going to alert everyone to your location and get you quickly killed. As will running around with one spiker which I was doing a lot. Dual wield doesn't seem to be an option on The Pit.[/quote]

Its the o ne map I do realy well on Lone Wolves. Will send you a video of how I do it

[quote name='Uzion' post='4497354' date='Oct 27 2007, 05:53 PM']Its the o ne map I do realy well on Lone Wolves. Will send you a video of how I do it[/quote]

cool, cheers.

Narrows went from my least to most favourite map. This game is so well balanced. Single mauler and meleé is so satisfying. I got three people in a row hiding behind cover on the central bridge, before wading in, grabbing the shotgun and getting a triple kill. Keeping yourself off the enemy radar is brilliantly satisfying.

I still can't stand Shotty Snipers, though. I'm absolutely awful at it.

I've been practising some jumps recently on Guardian. There are absolutely loads of useful shortcuts you can take. Some of these are really obvious, but some I only just found recently, so I thought I'd share them in case they're useful.

From the top of the lift room, you can jump into the flare room if you get it just right (it's pretty easy to make if you hold crouch as you reach the ledge). Below the gap you just jumped, you can get back up to the lift room via the small green ledge to your left (facing the lift). Again down there, you can jump to the long hammer/sniper corridor if you start from one of the raised edges - you can make the jump in the other direction as well.

At the top centre circle area, if you head towards the flare room and jump left just before a wall stops you doing so, you can land on the gravlift to go straight up to the sniper tower/fusion coil spot. Down at the sniper spawn, you can crouch-jump up to the carbine/overshield. From the dual spiker area going towards overshield, just before you reach the carbine you can jump down to the hammer/sniper corridor, although this one is pretty difficult to make.

Anyone got any other useful jumps, particularly on the other maps?

[quote name='alisdair' post='4501162' date='Oct 29 2007, 01:40 PM']Anyone got any other useful jumps, particularly on the other maps?[/quote]

Sort of.

Get the Banshee and Sniper on any Valhalla game that offers it. Then fly to the top of the base tower, there's a little ledge you can snipe on near the 'peak'

You can pretty much snipe the whole map from there with only the enemy Banshee threatening you, which if you're on a co-operating team can be taken down easily with the Spartan Laser or Missle Pod.

It can really swing the game if you have a good sniper up there who can see the whole map, and not only snipe but call out enemy attacks, Warthog raids especially on CTF etc.

The jump from the ramp around the back of the same bases to the glass floor of the top floor is also useful on CTF games, as what defenders tend to do is just have 2-3 people directly around the flag and not actually have any on the ground floor. And because when you make the jump you'll be facing the Mancannon and would have hopefully taken them by suprise, you should be able to escape across it.

I've gotten a couple of flag captures that way, the defenders expect a frontal attack or someone to attack in a big team around the two bigger ramps at eiether side, if you can get in thier base undetected its a nice mini jump to get to the flag.

[quote]From the top of the lift room, you can jump into the flare room if you get it just right (it's pretty easy to make if you hold crouch as you reach the ledge).[/quote]Done it.

[quote]Below the gap you just jumped, you can get back up to the lift room via the small green ledge to your left (facing the lift).[/quote]Done it.

[quote]Again down there, you can jump to the long hammer/sniper corridor if you start from one of the raised edges - you can make the jump in the other direction as well.[/quote]Done it.

[quote]At the top centre circle area, if you head towards the flare room and jump left just before a wall stops you doing so, you can land on the gravlift to go straight up to the sniper tower/fusion coil spot.[/quote]Oooh. Haven't done it.

[quote]Down at the sniper spawn, you can crouch-jump up to the carbine/overshield.[/quote]Done it.

[quote]From the dual spiker area going towards overshield, just before you reach the carbine you can jump down to the hammer/sniper corridor, although this one is pretty difficult to make.[/quote]Done it. You can also jump down to either of those levels from the higher point of the sniper spawn.

Also, did you know that going from the centre, facing the main Grav Lift, and doing the diagonal right jump to the invisibility, that you don't have to jump the gap and its almost impossible to fall down and die. Walking straight across will see you remain in mid-air indefinitely.

[quote]Anyone got any other useful jumps, particularly on the other maps?[/quote]On Narrows near the rocket spawn you can jump from the middle of the bridge to area with (or without) the Man Cannon.

Also, Narrows is still a shit map. Sorry!

[quote name='MW_Jimmy' post='4501216' date='Oct 29 2007, 02:03 PM']On Narrows near the rocket spawn you can jump from the middle of the bridge to area with (or without) the Man Cannon.

Also, Narrows is still a shit map. Sorry![/quote]

There is also a handy tip for sniping on narrows, where you mean before jumping down to those areas, jump on the little ledge by rockets on either the radar jammer side or the other and look down to your left or right, there is a tiny little ledge you can sit off on, looking at one man cannon side or the other side, not many ppl look up to that area and you can get quite alot of kills from there, especially on a shotty snipers gametype, or oddball you can hide there whilst ppl try to jump down to you and miss :)

[quote name='MW_Jimmy' post='4501216' date='Oct 29 2007, 02:03 PM']Also, Narrows is still a shit map. Sorry![/quote]
Nah.

[quote name='Kryptonian' post='4501443' date='Oct 29 2007, 03:24 PM']Nah.[/quote]

I'll see your 'Nah' and raise you a 'spot on'.

Narrows is shit.

[quote name='Uzion' post='4501705' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:02 PM']Superstar did you find the video helped?[/quote]

I did give it a watch but was interupted by the little one about 3 minutes in. I'll give it another watch. Raising it here must have helped as I've done a lot better on The Pit recently, even got a sword spree and 2 killing sprees on a bomb game last night.

The map I'm really struggling with now is construct. I thought I had that one pretty good but I've been playing PGR for the last couple of weeks and it really shows. Everyone else knows it much better than me now. I'll worry about Narrows at some point too.

As an asside, I hate the way that you stop playing halo online for a week or so and when you come back you feel like you're miles behind where you were as in that time everyone else has played 100 games.

If you watch the rest you'll basically see it's green invis coridoor with shotgun/sword/mauler and plasma grenads with battle rifles for peeking out shots.

[quote name='MW_Jimmy' post='4501216' date='Oct 29 2007, 02:03 PM']Narrows is still a shit map.[/quote]

[quote name='Kryptonian' post='4501443' date='Oct 29 2007, 03:24 PM']Nah.[/quote]

[quote name='superstarbeejay' post='4501684' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:55 PM']I'll see your 'Nah' and raise you a 'spot on'.

Narrows is shit.[/quote]
The whole point of this thread was to stop single-word arguments and get people to talk in depth about the maps :)

I don't love Narrows, but I don't hate it either. I think the horizon created by the bridge is a really nice feature, along with the radar jammer it makes for fun objective games. What makes you say it's shit?

Narrows is shit because:

1) You can see too much from the middle of the bridge.
2) You can spawn kill quite easily.
3) Too many spawns bring you out into a middle of a firefight.
4) It physically pointless. You have a bridge with nothing at either end, and then the bridge is pointless too because of the man-cannon. Compared to other maps it feels wrong to be fighting a battle in such an obviously enclosed space.
5) It's boring to play.

[quote name='alisdair' post='4493906' date='Oct 26 2007, 11:33 AM']Thanks DJK! That link was truncated via copy and paste, so here it is again for anyone who's interested:

[url="http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/28/infectious-isolations-floody-secret/"]Infectious, Isolation's Floody secret[/url][/quote]
JUSTICE 4 JIMMY