The Best Illustrated Children's Books

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#211 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yep, and it is a rubbish adaptation. They have managed to strip away all the charm of the books which is a real shame.

#212 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2149 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

:<

#213 Lost and Found

Lost and Found
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

I had to get my Meomi books imported in from the United States so you can barely manage to get the books over in Britain, but they'll buy the rights for the animation so I can watch it on my telly? Not the smartest of ideas...

#214 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Anybody got any Suzy Lee books? I hadn't heard of her until today but her wordless books like quite interesting.

She has illustrated three books so far.

Wave
Posted Image

Mirror
Posted Image
Which appears to use the page break to good effect

Shadow
Posted Image
Posted Image
Which uses the page break again in a novel way

#215 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Doing a spot more research on Suzy Lee brings up this article that shows off some of her other books.

I love her style. I'm going to try and track down her version of Alice in Wonderland.
Posted Image

And The Zoo
Posted Image

#216 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Lovely stuff. Reminds me of Curious George for some reason crossed with the wordless Mouse books which I can never remember the name of. May well pick up a couple myself sometime: Mirror and Shadows look ace.

#217 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

The Seven Impossible Things blog is wonderful.

There are so many new books I need to get hold of.

The Tree House by father-daughter team Marije Tolman and Ronald Tolman
Posted Image
Posted Image

Too Late by Giovanna Zoboli and Camilla Engman (no English language version though)
Posted Image

#218 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

I splurged out and bought a few new picture books recently.

Posted Image
The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger

The story is very slight and rather predictable but the collage illustrations are really nice. It uses a lot of different exercise book textures and the pictures perfectly capture autumn.

3/5

Posted Image
Wave by Suzy Lee

I mentioned Suzy Lee's work a few posts ago and I can't help but be disappointed by the reality. The illustrations are lovely but this wordless story feels rather flat and it is the sort of book you might look at once and then stick on the bookshelf to let it gather dust. I doubt I'll bother picking up her other stories now which is a real shame.

2/5

Posted Image
Ghosts in the House by Kazuno Kohara

A nice simple story about a girl who moves into a haunted house but rather than be scared she puts them to good use. The illustrations, black on day-glo orange, have a real old-school feel to them. In fact it really reminds me of a book I liked as a child but I can't remember the name of it, or what the story was about. It is an efficiently told story which is clear and fun and nicely demystifies something that children would normally find scary.
3/5

Posted Image
Moon Man by Tomi Ungerer

This was recommended by Oliver Jeffers via the video c-cat posted a while back. It is a fable about the man in the moon who comes to earth and is hounded by officials. The illustrations are crude and childlike but full of character and charm. The story is also great and I especially liked the way the moon man got out of jail as his body mirrors the moon cycle so he just waited until he was in his third quarter and squeezed through the bars. It might seem a little old fashioned by modern standards but I really liked it.

4/5

Posted Image
The Tree House by Marije Tolman and Ronald Tolman

You can see a bit more about it in the post above this one. This is a wordless story by a father and daughter and the illustrations are gorgeous. Unfortunately that is all I can recommend. The story is about a polar bear and a brown bear who happen upon a tree house, over the course of the story more animals come and visit and then leave. It is a simple story but is perhaps too simple as there is nothing to it at all.

2/5

#219 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2149 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

some lovely images up there. love suzy lee's and the bear tree house

#220 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Want to read this book now!

#221 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Oliver Jeffers' Heart and the Bottle iPad version looks lovely.

I think with the interactive features some publishers could take it too far but this looks just about right to me. It almost makes me want to buy an iPad (well I want one anyway but this might justify the purchase. Ish.)

#222 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Posted Image
I caught some of this program ("Penelope") on tv the other day and thought "Ooh! How cute and lovely!"

Apparently this started off as a collection of books...I want!

#223 And

And
  • Members
  • 5081 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

What a great thread, will be buying some of these for the nipper.

A couple that seem to be absent from the thread -

Petr Horacek

Posted Image

Lynn Dodd

Posted Image

Stories about cats and dogs, nice rhyming to them.

Seen a few mentions of the Scheffler books - this is our favourite

Posted Image

One of my recent purchases (for my future classroom!) is The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers.

Posted Image

I love this book, probably my favourite of the JEffers we have.

No love for Dr Seuss?

Posted Image

I adore Seuss, my 2 year old daughter is currently very infatuated with "The Shape of me" which is one of my books from childhood.

#224 Timbuktu

Timbuktu
  • Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Oliver Jeffers' Heart and the Bottle iPad version looks lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3fghSJvBM

I think with the interactive features some publishers could take it too far but this looks just about right to me. It almost makes me want to buy an iPad (well I want one anyway but this might justify the purchase. Ish.)

Is this out? Can't find it on the app store!

#225 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately not. The release date is supposed to be December and you'd think that would mean before Christmas so it can't be much longer. I signed up to Jeffers' Facebook page so I assume when it is available he will post about it there. When he does I'll make sure to update this topic.

#226 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12885 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Wow. Looks beautiful.

#227 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

War Game- Michael Foreman (story based on the Christmas Truce):

Not a picture book as such but I and my class have really enjoyed this short story which has tied in nicely with our World War One topic (the main text we used was War Horse- really good book!)- it's got some lovely drawings in it (on nearly every page I think) as well as lots of photographs of war propanganda, posters, letters etc. Lots to pore over and find out about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately I can't find many decent quality pictures online. And I'm not sure about the colour- the copy I have is actually in black and white for the illustrations.

#228 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12885 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

That reminds me of 'Fairy Tales' - a book of short stories written by Terry Jones and ilustrated by Michael Foreman. I find it a mixed bag visually - some stuff's a bit meh but other stuff is beautiful. Quite strange, really. The stories are great, though.

Posted Image

#229 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Is this out? Can't find it on the app store!

It's out!

http://itunes.apple....d407795360?mt=8

Just downloading now and will report back later if it is worth buying (I'm sure it will be).

#230 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Right, here is the mini-review for the Heart and the bottle iPad app:

:OMG:

Here is a slightly longer review:

There are some minor spoilers regarding plot so be careful if you haven't read the story yet.

It is wonderful. Every page has an interactive element, each one is pretty intuitive but there is a hint button to help push you in the right directions. It is nice to see nothing has really been changed from the original print version they have just neatly and unobtrusively animated some elements. You manipulate them in a number of different ways too, most by touch but some by shaking the iPad as well. One of the nicest pages is when you can draw a picture for the grandad and when you take it to him the picture then appears on the wall. Likewise there is a section where you try and break open the bottle and can use loads of different objects like a drill, hammer or dynamite. The narration by Helena Bonham Carter is really good and the whole package is wonderful and well worth the relatively small download fee. I just hope his other stories get the same treatment.

#231 Timbuktu

Timbuktu
  • Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

cheers lordcookie, it is indeed charming and exquisite, which is a lot more than i expect from an app.

#232 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Saw this, bought this, LOVELY artwork...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best line throughout: "the Bradley remembered the dynamite..."

Which I read and then bought. Haven't read the whole book yet but that line and the artwork were enough to get me parting with the dosh...

#233 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19284 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Looks really nice. I'm not a big fan of festive books (they are normally cloying and lacking in subtlety) but the illustrations there look great.

Whilst I'm posting I purchased Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree last month. It is one of Oliver Jeffers' favourite books and has recently been reprinted. It is really interesting story that is both simple and very complex. Depending on your interpretations it can be a very touching book about giving and sacrifice or a harsh book about the pains of adulthood. Either way you read the book it is still memorable with simple but pleasing illustrations.

Posted Image

#234 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Actually with the exception of the Snowman, Father Christmas and the Grinch I can't really think of any Christmas books I've read. Hmm...

Just read it: it's got a lovely Unfortunate Events/Philip Ardagh vibe to it and the artwork sets it off perfectly. Well worth a look through. May well become a seasonal favourite of mine next to the yearly viewings of Muppet Christmas Carol :)

In other news I'd be checking out the Heart/Bottle app if Rage wasn't taking a million hours to update. grr.

#235 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

Didn't get a single interesting illustrated book for Christmas (although to be fair I did get an awesome crime comics anthology and Footnotes from Gaza a couple of weeks before on my birthday...)

Anyone get anything good?

#236 Manda

Manda
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Laura Joffe Numeroff

Posted Image

I saw there was already a Robert Munsch book on here, but he worked with the illustrator Michael Martchenko for most of his classics and these are the ones that feature large in my childhood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Books for the really wee ones by Sandra Boynton:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful bedtime book by Sam McBratney

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's a few off the top of my head, I was pleased to see The Big Hungry Bear up here already. My Mum was a preschool teacher as I was growing up so I was pretty immersed. Love this thread.

#237 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Some good choices there! And yeah, this thread is great. :)

Lordcookie mentioned this book last year in reference to something else...but I'd thought I'd bring it up again after desperately trying to remember what it was called! I was searching for "Grandpa" rather than "Granpa". :)

Posted Image

I remember first watching this on tv as a little kid and blubbing lots. And just looking at the pictures now has made me all sniffly. But a lovely book. With lovely, gentle illustrations.

#238 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2149 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

I loved The Paper Bag Princess! Good call.

#239 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

OK bear with me on this:

Posted Image

Read this to my son the other day, fully expecting it to be a bit naff, and it totally charmed me. The text flowed and scanned well and the artwork was far better than I expected based on an underwhelming cover. Lovely stuff. Seems to be a series? going to check out the others when I can.

#240 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12885 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

OK bear with me on this:

Posted Image

Read this to my son the other day, fully expecting it to be a bit naff, and it totally charmed me. The text flowed and scanned well and the artwork was far better than I expected based on an underwhelming cover. Lovely stuff. Seems to be a series? going to check out the others when I can.

Another of Mij Kelly's books is one of my favourites.

Posted Image

The illustrations really capture the surreal dream feeling, due in part to the wonderful stretched sense of perspective of the train carriages and characters. But it's the text that I really love - such beautiful lyricism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users