Stand-up Comedy

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#91 Dotterel

Dotterel
  • Members
  • 6189 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Pretty sure I've seen it, was that The Stand as well? The material in 41st was weak I thought and the speed of his delivery was tedious. I have quite enjoyed his stuff previously, but I've maybe just had my fill now.

As always it'll be more enjoyable live I dare say.

#92 Lost and Found

Lost and Found
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Got Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel to look forward to in the next couple of months at Warwick Arts Centre, where the tickets go up by excruciating amounts whilst the quality of fare continues to decrease. The rest of the forthcoming line-up is abysmal. Russell Howard and John Shuttleworth? No thanks.

Love going to the stand-up in the local area, but it's so hit and miss at times that I'm now cynical. And being cynical is not the best way to watch stand-up. Oh, and I think that Mark Watson's live shows are absolutely fantastic, accent and all. I'm sure the accent is merely a way of separating his alter ego from his true personality. And his books really don't work if you read them in a Welsh accent. I've tried.

#93 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2460 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

I'd like to see Russell Howard live, but John Shuttleworth ain't my bag at all. Mostly I attend open-spot shows around here, though, but I think I'll invest in a few more professional bills from now onwards.

#94 Duncan

Duncan
  • Members
  • 31573 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

Apparently, i'm going to see Scott Capurro tomorrow - anyone heard of him?

#95 Ste Pickford

Ste Pickford
  • Members
  • 9188 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

John Shuttleworth? No thanks.

He's not a million miles away from Frank Sidebottom, really.

#96 Dotterel

Dotterel
  • Members
  • 6189 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Things are about to kick off!

#97 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27895 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

There's a few about on Soulseek if you catch it at the right times. I managed to get the podcasts and a couple of half shows from there a couple of days ago. If I manage to find any more I could always stick a couple of RARs up on megaupload or something.

I'd be interested in that if you can get them - he was the finest comedian i have ever seen and I can't wait for him to tour again

He's not a million miles away from Frank Sidebottom, really.

Get lost, Frank Sidebottom is as funny as cancer, as is Shuttleworth. I hate that character based shit

#98 Ibzo

Ibzo
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Apparently, i'm going to see Scott Capurro tomorrow - anyone heard of him?

I just came in to this thread to mention this show.

I saw him a few months back at the Good Ship, one of the first Porthole comedy shows and he was terrific. Arrived late but all of that was forgotten instantly. Very rude, crude and not for the easily offended but he has great delivery and is genuinely funny. Hope you enjoy yourself tomorrow, I'll be there too and I'm sure I will ^_^

#99 Duncan

Duncan
  • Members
  • 31573 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

I saw him a few months back at the Good Ship, one of the first Porthole comedy shows and he was terrific. Arrived late but all of that was forgotten instantly. Very rude, crude and not for the easily offended but he has great delivery and is genuinely funny. Hope you enjoy yourself tomorrow, I'll be there too and I'm sure I will ^_^

hooray! have to say, quite impressed with the lineup that the compere manages to get most weeks, considering it's so fucking cheap.

#100 Ibzo

Ibzo
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

hooray! have to say, quite impressed with the lineup that the compere manages to get most weeks, considering it's so fucking cheap.

I know, the line up is always worth checking out for both established and newer acts. The organiser does a great job, but can be a tad annoying at times... ^_^

#101 claire

claire
  • Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

Anyone aware of where one could find versions of any Daniel Kitson gigs? I've a torrent which boasts a few but it seems to have lost all seeders. I've found this forum:

http://forums.hipini...f359c5381a5e83c

but it's set to admin approval for membership and it's no playing ball... Anyone?

Kitson is notorious for keeping out of the spotlight, so you will be lucky to find anything by him anywhere!

He is the best comic I have ever seen, so natural to it. Most of his shows are more theatre which I think suprises people but it really does work. Have you ever seen the video of him on blockbusters? ^_^

Other favourites of mine I find hard to pick out. I would definitely put Phil Kay very highly up there. He is fucking genius because his show is mainly improvised. On the plus side this means a new show every night, on the down side it means the shows are very hit and miss-last 2 years I saw him it was just wonderful, but this year was pretty poor. I also love Russell Howard, I think a lot of people are put off by his mainstream success but I saw him a lot at the festival when he was starting out. He compered a most of the late and live gigs a few years ago and I was always impressed by how quick thinking and clever he was.

The biggest disappointment for me has always been Bill Bailey. He has always been shit whenever I have seen him. His style works well on TV when he has a straight guy to play against, but on his own I really do find I lose interest eventually.

#102 barkbat

barkbat
  • Members
  • 6501 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

Scott Capurro is pure gay filth. He spent an entire gig just hitting on this one guy at the front. Usually picking on the crowd means the show is going wrong but it was utter genius and not mean at all - just a torrent of improvised anus related filth that had everyone in stitches.

#103 BigShimmeryWall

BigShimmeryWall
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:37 AM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ZMNNSS7

That's the Daniel Kitson podcasts for now. I'll try and stick any other stuff up soon if and when it trickles slowly down the intertubes, but my connection's a wee bit snail like at the mo and will be untill I'm back to uni in a couple of weeks.

#104 Jim Miles

Jim Miles
  • Members
  • 13785 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:28 AM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ZMNNSS7

That's the Daniel Kitson podcasts for now. I'll try and stick any other stuff up soon if and when it trickles slowly down the intertubes, but my connection's a wee bit snail like at the mo and will be untill I'm back to uni in a couple of weeks.

Sweet ^_^.

#105 noob

noob
  • Moderators
  • 13509 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

off to see russell howard in bolton on nov 1st after seeing him on mock the week.

looking forward to it. shame its a 100 mile round trip. no tickets left for leeds and the tickets were rubbish in bradford so bolton will have to do...

;)

#106 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27895 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

You know who the best stand up I've ever seen is?

Oli

#107 murray

murray
  • Supporters
  • 20496 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

I can't seem to find any YouTube clips though. Shame.

#108 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11788 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

i've just won 2 tickets to see jason byrne at the comedy store in manchester this friday.

i've only seen bits of his stuff, but he seems pretty good. anyone else seen him?

#109 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27895 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

I can't seem to find any YouTube clips though. Shame.

Well it was so good the videos were erased by the level of awesomeness

#110 Sinister

Sinister
  • Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Dylan Moran is touring . Off to see him in London in November hopefully .

#111 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27895 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Dylan Moran is touring . Off to see him in London in November hopefully .

Already got tickets for Oxford in October

#112 BigShimmeryWall

BigShimmeryWall
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Kitson at the Cardiff Glee Club

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJ8KB8QQ

#113 murray

murray
  • Supporters
  • 20496 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Good work that man.

#114 Dotterel

Dotterel
  • Members
  • 6189 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Woot, cheers.

Kitson - Hull - dunno date

Part 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20WKAGSH

Part 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ZAC148J

#115 BigShimmeryWall

BigShimmeryWall
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5I7I3SNH

Kitson - Edinburgh 2005

It's a bit similar to the Cardiff gig though as that one was an Edinburgh warm up.

#116 Duncan

Duncan
  • Members
  • 31573 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

I saw him a few months back at the Good Ship, one of the first Porthole comedy shows and he was terrific. Arrived late but all of that was forgotten instantly. Very rude, crude and not for the easily offended but he has great delivery and is genuinely funny. Hope you enjoy yourself tomorrow, I'll be there too and I'm sure I will :lol:

Well, AIDS jokes, maddy jokes, holocaust jokes - what wasn't to like? :wub: Seriously though, who'd ever admit to being a virgin in a comedy club - it was as if he WANTED the attention!

#117 BigShimmeryWall

BigShimmeryWall
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:10 AM

I managed to find part 1 of the show from the podcasts that was split into 4 parts, which I didn't have when I put the RAR up before.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A3LXMXUS

#118 Elliott

Elliott
  • Members
  • 1958 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Love the Kitson. Currently trying to get everything of his that I can in the same place. Massive pain.

#119 BigShimmeryWall

BigShimmeryWall
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

Supposedly he's planning on releasing recordings of the last three stand up shows some point this year but I haven't heard much on that recently. It'd be nice if he had recordings of the Stories for the Starlit Sky gigs too as they were all cracking.

#120 Debret

Debret
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

Kitson bootlegs seem to be very hard to get hold of these days, excepting those ones above (Hull, dancing, Edinburgh, Cardif Glee, etc).

Does anyone have any of his newer shows, or larger collections including other not already posted above? There must be some out there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users