• 15696 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for that.

#812 Butters

Butters
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Went back to finish this tonight. Still really taken by it, although like others, found level 14 more than a bit annoying. I purposely didn't realise how people completed the warehouse scene, and ended up being killed not long after entering the warehouse on more than one occasion.

I really enjoyed the storyline, but looking back now it's done, I felt some characters could have been fleshed out more. In some cases the characters were barely in it, despite playing a fairly major role in the storylines. And the final scene with Bruno seemed a bit of a waste.

Still, will be going back for more with the DLC.

#813 Trigg

Trigg
  • Members
  • 4891 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

I finished this last and I loved everything about it. Felt like a breath of fresh air and I loved the story.
Spoiler

#814 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3177 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

I bought it for the PC during the Steam sales for 5. Mental fun for such little money.

Playing more tonight before cracking on with some New Vegas I reckon.

#815 Trigg

Trigg
  • Members
  • 4891 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I bought it for the PC during the Steam sales for 5. Mental fun for such little money.

Playing more tonight before cracking on with some New Vegas I reckon.

You bought it even though I have it? Why not just play mine you tart? :P

#816 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3177 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Because yours is a console version, and as such, shooting is rubbisher :P

#817 krenzler

krenzler
  • Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

Man, that chapter 14 warehouse is f..king frustrating! :angry:

#818 Vulgar Monkey

Vulgar Monkey
  • Members
  • 18034 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

If you can make it to the far end you're under cover of the upper level, so fat shit can't molotov you.

#819 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17352 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

It's also possible to kill your molotov-chucking enemy the moment you go through the doors, before he takes cover.

But really, that bit shouldn't be too problematic unless you're on Hard difficulty.

#820 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9496 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

It is annoying though and it not having a checkpoint as you come up to the doors is annoying too. I basically had to cheat the game to do it on Hard but even on normal it's a pain.

It isn't an enjoyable 'boss' battle by any stretch of the imagination.

#821 yyy

yyy
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

John Teti is a cretin.

#822 Dinobot

Dinobot
  • Supporters
  • 11519 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

I popped this on last night for a quick blast; and fell in love! Having bought it on Steam ages ago my PC goes through it well, everything maxed...well except PhysX which is playable but just a bit jerky.
I also discovered that it auto configs for the 360 pad when I connected, so I was made up to play it with that.

Got through the opening few chapters and I loved the snowy wartime feel. Certainly more than when I returned later on.
Strangely it reminded me of first Max Payne; that crisp, winter, Christmas feel. It's really quite enchanting.
That's what the start did to me. Slow, crap cars, not a massive amount of weapony and a fee suits...somehow this minimalist approach seemed fantastic.

I eventually came to the post War period. Exciting at first, bursting with colour and all those shiny new cars...yet it just didn't appeal as much. The music, more contemporary, did not delight me half as much as the previous ditties.

What I had come to appreciate over the period though, was Vito. I found him to be an up beat, likeable chap. Certainly better cast than the hateful Nico of GTA4.

I believe I've just done Chapter 9 - these later missions are just not quite as fun it seems.

Overall mind I've spent most of the day playing it and it's excellent. Well worth the 5 I paid for it :)

#823 SF-02

SF-02
  • Members
  • 1166 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Just finished this after getting it on PS Plus. I thought the story, characters, shooting and car handling were all very good. A lot better than GTA4 in those respects. With GTA 5 out so soon will be interesting to see if things such as the car handling matches up, as I have never taken to the handling of GTA3 & its sequels. Always felt it was too lightweight compared to the Driver series and this. As I was playing it earlier on the second to last mission I was thinking how good it would be to drive a Citroen DS in the game. I then browsed a mafia 2 site and saw it was included if you bought a pre-ordered version from amazon! Would have loved to have driven that. Is it worth getting the DLC? I think the DS is included in one pack, and there's some seperate longer mission packs.

PS plus has worked perfectly here - I've played a game I wouldn't have previously and got me interested in the DLC and any future games in the series and the developers.

#824 hughes

hughes
  • Members
  • 9164 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

I also did the PS+ thing with this last weekend, I really liked it, I personally didn't get on with the shooting, but aside from the last 2 hours of the game - where it just becomes a shooter, there's surprisingly little until then. It's quite a brave game in that respect, it confidently lets the story unfold, directing you to character interactions, maybe the occasional low key theft, without shoving needless gunfights in your face.

I would say the game gets progressively worse though, ignoring the COD style tutorial, to start with going back home to this winter wonderland new york is mesmerising, meeting your family and best friend, deciding what you want to do with your life, networking with bad guys, making some money. The second act is still good, but never recaptures that level of charm, and as I say the third act is when it becomes much more of an action shooter after quite a subtle build up.

#825 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 14236 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Yep, it's  a great game. I played it on the 360 when it came out. Might well have another go now it's on PS+ :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users