Super Stardust HD

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thought I'd start a thread on this seeing as it doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Anyone else playing this? For those who aren't, it's a sort of Asteroids/Robotron/Geometry Wars hybrid, based on an Amiga game from years ago. It's really good and well worth the 4.99 it's up for on the PSN store. My only real issue with it so far has been the music, which is repetitive and sounds like it was written for the Amiga version. I'm third in my friends list high score table, although I only just worked out that if you shoot the numbered asteroids in order you get a big bonus glowing kryptonite thing which gives you a few power-ups and loads of points.

I'm going to practice and then I'm going to take you down, Ironchicken! And you, Jolly.

#2 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9394 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

shit, stardust was bloody brilliant, had it on a free amiga power coverdisk.

How amusing that this is something that i want on the PS3....

#3 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11269 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

I don't think it has the main music that I remember for the original, but I've only played it for around 15 minutes.

It's nice, anyway. I liked the 3D tunnel stages from Stardust though.

#4 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

I can't believe casual ukdazs is 6,000,000 better at this game than me. In my defence, I bought it on Sunday afternoon on a whim. Played a couple of goes, liked it, but felt I probably wouldn't spend a great deal of time with it. Then fired it up about 10pm last night, and was hooked until I went to bed. Had a quick go tonight, and bumped my score by another million, so my progress is rapid.

It's fucking ace, and suitably mental. Technically very impressive, when your brain has a split second to notice the incredible amount of clever physics stuff that's going on. Still unsure how the scoring works, other than the 'don't die to increase the multiplier'. Anyway, after Tekken DR, it's the only must have PSN game and a good sign of things to come. Shame there's no online co-op, but still.

#5 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19695 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

4.6 million > 9 something million.

#6 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:25 AM

I can't believe casual ukdazs is 6,000,000 better at this game than me.

I actually got a better score than the one that's up but the server comms went belly up. I got 11 million something. B)

#7 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, well I got 12 million, but my dog ate my PS3 before the score was uploaded.

#8 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17036 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

I love it. I'm getting 8 or 9 million fairly regularly now, but I haven't yet made that jump to get to the next 'hump' of scoring. I haven't worked out any kind of logic to how it decides what power-ups to dish out (is it how quickly you destroyed the asteroid it was held in?) but did spot the huge bonus for the numbered asteroids one. Daz - are you better than me now?

#9 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11786 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

sweet

#10 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Daz - are you better than me now?

Fuck yeah.

#11 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14461 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

not even hit a million yet, but then I have only played it for about 15 mins total.

I'm gunning for you all tonight though.

#12 Jolly

Jolly
  • Supporters
  • 5071 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

I really liked Blast Factor, but this is so much better. It's a shame there isn't a clear explanation of the scoring/power up distribution system anywhere. It took me about five gos to realise you could change weapons :blink:

I think you get power ups if the green rocks aren't exposed for too long, but I could be wrong.

#13 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26430 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

didnt CV say it was poo though?

#14 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Don't know don't care.

#15 biglime

biglime
  • Members
  • 14731 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:17 AM

Nah, it's just ho-hum. Nothing special.

#16 Big Loud Mouth

Big Loud Mouth
  • Members
  • 1726 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

Yeah definitely my favourite PSN game thus far ... but I've only had a couple of goes and have managed something pitiful like 450k. Tips on getting massive scores would be nice.. please!

#17 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14461 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Yeah definitely my favourite PSN game thus far ... but I've only had a couple of goes and have managed something pitiful like 450k. Tips on getting massive scores would be nice.. please!

shoot things quickly for more points :blink:

#18 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

Get the Rock Crusher (green) upgraded as quickly as possible, then the Gold Melter (red). The Ice Splitter (blue) is useless until the third world and not much use even then.
The weapon pick ups cycle, so wait for the one you actually want.
Use the L2 dodge if stuff gets too hectic. If after that it's still mental use your smart bomb.
Shoot the numbered asteroids in sequence for a big pile of bonuses.
Use the Gold Melter for the red miney things. And the green caterpillars. And the little blue ice crystals. Then switch back to the Rock Crusher for the asteroids.

#19 tmpagg

tmpagg
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

I was slightly underwhelmed by it on my first go, but it grew on me very quickly. A few games later, and I was absolutely hooked.

My high-score's getting progressively better on each go as well - my current PB is roughly 17,000,000 (although I did get 2 extra ships very early on in that game, which helped).

#20 superfunk

superfunk
  • Members
  • 10279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

I'm enjoying this a lot. I'm hitting 8-9 million regularly but my 10 million plus score failed to register the other evening. This would have taken me above Uncle Mike who I think I'm trailing by about 20 measly thousand. By the time I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks I'll be cack compared to you lot.

#21 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14461 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Right i'm gonna put a fair bit of time into this tonight now.

UKDaz's tips are very helpful indeed so cheers daz.

#22 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17036 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

My top tips (which probably aren't that top):

At the start of the first level (when the game is handing out the initial power ups), it's worth waiting by them to make sure they're all for the same weapon. I get myself a powerful green gun as quickly as possible.

Once you've got the green gun to a point where's its shooting two or three bullets quite quickly, also start to pick up some red gun power ups.

Use the red gun on the bomb carrying ships - it'll die very quickly.

Make sure you get all the numbered asteroids at the start of phase 2 for a big score boost and a few power ups.

Staying alive means your multiplier goes up. It's worth wasting a bomb or two if you get into trouble on a high multiplier. The highest I've had is X8, but I guess it keeps on going.

The dash move is also good for getting out of a scrape, and apparently boosting through points power ups nets a bonus.

Finishing a phase quickly nets you a good few points if your multiplier is high.

I think you might get better pickups for completely destroying a rock quickly.

Also, it's worth having a tidy up of the small rocks every now and then, despite this hitting your time bonus.

#23 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

Right i'm gonna put a fair bit of time into this tonight now.

UKDaz's tips are very helpful indeed so cheers daz.

If you beat me I'll cry. You wouldn't want to make a grown man cry now, would you?

#24 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17036 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hey - mine and Daz's tips are very similar!

#25 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14461 posts

If you beat me I'll cry. You wouldn't want to make a grown man cry now, would you?

Nope, I only like make the young and the ancient cry, so your safe :blink:

#26 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Hey - mine and Daz's tips are very similar!

So are our scores... go figure!

#27 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

All this Super Stardust talk made me fire up the PS3 and have another go. One game later, and my high score has jumped from 4m to 12m.

In your fat faces, Daz and Mike! In them good!

But it's wicked that just last night, I was looking at a score of 9m in absolute disbief. Now I know much, much higher are easily within my grasp. I lost 3 lives on the 2nd boss on my first attempt at him. If I'd done him without dying, I reckon I could easily have added another 5m onto my score.

Biglime's a turd if he doesn't find pure gaming joy in this game. A big, stinking turd.

#28 ukdazs

ukdazs
  • Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

All this Super Stardust talk made me fire up the PS3 and have another go. One game later, and my high score has jumped from 4m to 12m.

In your fat faces, Daz and Mike! In them good!

:blink:
I knew those tips were a bad idea. Just wait 'til I get home... and put my daughter to bed... and waited for the wife to go to bed.

#29 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17036 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

:blink:

#30 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Fuck you, and fuck your tips. It was all down to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users